Start by marking “Oasis” as Want to Read:
Oasis

Oasis

The oasis saved them. But who will save them from the oasis?

Alif had exciting summer plans: working on her father’s archaeological dig site in the desert with four close friends . . . and a very cute research assistant. Then the sandstorm hit.

Published January 7th 2020 by Imprint Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Oasis, please sign up.
Katya de Becerra I'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be…moreI'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be available alongside the cover reveal later this year (I've seen the cover already - and it's STUNNING....!) Keep an eye on my social media for details:) (less)

Start your review of Oasis
Toni
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an exciting thriller this book proved to be!

Alif Scholl's parents are archeologists, so she has grown up around various digs and actually enjoys the task of washing and labelling archeological finds. She is thrilled to spend her summer at her father's current dig near Dubai. Alif's friends- Minh, Lori, Rowen and Luke- are joining her. There's also Tommy Ortiz, Alif's father's student and assistant. On their way to the site Alif reads a blog post about the site which claims that there is a
Mackey
Let me begin by stating the obvious: Everyone loved this one more than I did. I recognize this. I went into this knowing that it was a YA novel which I have been reading lately and adoring. The premise was based on it being an "archeological horror" which I LOVE. What I got instead was angst ridden older teens not qualified to be in the desert of Dubai who find themselves on the set of Lost, the old television show. Okay, they weren't really on that set but the story line read as though they ...more
Candace Robinson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading What the Woods Keep by the author, I knew I had to get my hands on Oasis. The summary along with the cover had me absolutely intrigued. And did somebody say desert? My, my, yes they did!

Alif was the perfect protagonist because she was imperfect and you loved her, and you wanted to ask her what she was doing at times, and you were right there along with her wanting to know what was going on in this desert! And Tommy! Swoon! I loved him! Inside the oasis, Alif and her five friends
Katya de Becerra
Nov 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Welcome to the oasis, where sand is life and nothing is as it seems.

(CWs are listed in the end of this post and some are marked as spoilers. Please let me know in comments if I missed something)

Oasis is my second novel. (If you haven't read my debut, What the Woods Keep, yet, check it out, if you wish!)

I wrote Oasis exclusively on the days of heavy rain in my hometown of Melbourne, while alternating between listening to Ladytron's MIRAGE and London Grammar's NIGHTCALL on repeat.

Oasis is my
Krystal
Okay.

I have no idea what just happened but that was a freaking WILD RIDE.

I mean ...

Wow.

So you've got this bunch of kids who are off to the desert for some archaeology fun but then there's a sandstorm, they get stuck wandering the desert and suddenly happen upon an oasis that should most definitely not be there. Freakiness ensues.

Let's start with the kids.

Alif - an interesting narrator. She's pretty honest, even if things get a little messy in that head of hers. I liked her, and that she was
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Archaeology and Hallucinations in an Egyptian Oasis
My mom loves everything to do with archaeology and so I’ve always had a soft spot for stories about archaeologists. Oasis sounds like a fun, supernatural romp for sand diggers and occult fans. Plus we get to travel from Australia to Egypt!

Did Oasis haunt this Fangirl with its horrific dilemma?
I had high hopes for Oasis. First, I assumed it would be a thriller type of the supernatural variety. This was a poor assumption. Then, I assumed there
Rachael
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of The Twilight Zone or Tales Of the Unexpected, De Becerra skillfully presents the reader with the known world with its laws of nature, time and space then carefully bends reality, drawing you inexorably deeper into a narrative both terrifying and irresistible. Tense, electric storytelling that makes you wonder what you would be willing to sacrifice to have your deepest longings fulfilled.

Alif and her friends join an archeological dig in the desert outside Dubai. Rumors are
The Nerd Daily
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie McCann

The oasis saved them. But who will save them from the oasis?

With their camp wiped away, Alif and the others find themselves lost on the sands, seemingly doomed . . . until they find the oasis. It has everything they need: food, water, shade—and
Kate (beautifulbookland)
After reading and loving What the Woods Keep by Katya last year, I had high expectations going into Oasis. It’s always nerve-wracking going into an author’s second book after loving their debut so much, but I had no need to worry in this case – Katya totally nailed it, and exceeded all of my expectations.

Oasis follows Alif, who along with some close friends (and a very cute research assistant) are working on her father’s archaeological dig over their summer break. When a sand storm wreaks havoc
Cathy
Let me tell you about OASIS...

It's a strange book - and I say this in the best possible way! It's a tense survival story but also a kind of science fiction novel that really makes you ponder on the questions of humanity, identity, sentience, language and communication. Overall though, again it's a super strange, haunting, dark tale. I know it'll stay with me.

My initial thoughts upon hearing of this book: A book that's inspired by archaeology and the music of London Grammar?!!

Give. It. To. Me.
Adriann Fincher
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading WHAT THE WOODS KEEP, I'll read anything by de Becerra.
I know OASIS is going to be spectacular. Prepare yourselves.
megs_bookrack
Hey!!!
Guess what???

BOTM selections are up for January!

This is one of the YA selections, it sounds fabulous, so I chose it as an add-on.

Go choose your books now!!!
Jackie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi, 2019-reads
I wanted to read a few chapters right before bed and next thing I knew I was at the acknowledgements section and my head was spinning.

“Oasis” finds a group of friends on an archeological dig in Dubai when a sandstorm rips them from camp and their walk through the desert leads them to an oasis filled with a variety of things that should not exist but then again a group hallucination doesn’t exist either, or does it?

The best way I can describe this plot is it has a lot of elements from The
Cassie Hess
Initial thoughts: I've read de Becerra's debut (What The Woods Keep) and just can't express enough how excited I am about her sophomore book! Why is Winter 2020 so far away???

My spoiler-free review!!!!

After reading and being very impressed with de Becerra's debut What The Woods Keep last year, I knew this author had something unique to offer. There's this totally awesome thing she's got going in her writing that messes with your mind in the best possible way, if that makes sense :) So already
Vicky Who Reads
Aug 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
i'm excited to start!!! just gonna leave these here (courtesy of Katya) because some of them are spoilers.

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
NEED

Post reading thoughts:

I need this book to become a movie ASAP
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Alif's plans of spending the summer working on her father's archaeological dig site with four of her close friends (and her father's very cute research assistant) are derailed by a sandstorm they find themselves lost in the desert... That is- until they find the oasis, and while the oasis seems to have everything they need- reality begins to shift and soon they can no longer tell what's real and what is a mirage.

trufflebooks
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2019
I...need more answers. That was amazing. Full Review HERE.
Sophiesticated ✨
*3.5 stars*
Annie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am very pleased to be one of the very first readers of this book. Whilst the book is an ARC and still subject to edits, I can safely say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It was very easy to read and fall into the book. I enjoyed how the story set a firm foundation of the protagonist Alif, her friends and her life and how she embarks on an adventure with her friends to pursue her love of geology and site digs only to find they got more than they bargained for upon arrival.. Whilst the story ...more
Elissa Elizaro
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed with this book and gonna hype it extra hard to everyone - because everyone needs to pick up a copy and read it!
Sheila Goicea
I'm so excited to be a part of the Fantastic Flying Book Club blog tour for Oasis!

I received a copy of this book from Macmillan via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: On page death, Delusions, Attempted poisoning, Drunkenness
The desert, it’ll treat you like an equal if you are prepared, if you are strong enough, but it’ll
Donna
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Whoa! This was awesome! Even if i felt like i had sand in every nook and cranny when i finished. Lol!

Tommy, Alif and her 5 friends are all swept away in a sandstorm, and they end up out in the middle of the desert. They walk and walk, afraid they’re going to die of thirst, when they come upon the Oasis. But after enjoying the fresh water and fruit, things begin to happen, friends turn on friends, and they begin to split apart. Nobody comes to look for them and they start to wonder how they will
Austine (NovelKnight)
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I... think I just wasn't the right reader forOasis. Reading it was definitely a case of "it's not you, it's me," which is a bummer because I loved the author's debut What the Woods Keep .

I never connected withOasis or its characters. The story itself was okay and felt like it was reliant on the Twilight Zone-esque world that
Danielle Russell
Brooklyn Tayla
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019-reads
This was quite the remarkable feat! Just when I thought I knew what was happening, something else would come along and knock it out of the park! Katya De Becerra is well and truly a brilliant storyteller, you never know what's going to come along next and I was truly wondering what was real and what wasn't throughout!
Elizabeth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
There is nothing that annoys me more in a book than awful writing. I can handle some plot holes, too tidy endings, inconsistent characters but bad writing will kill me. For this one, the bad writing combined with ridiculous plot combined with annoying characters all made me hate it. I felt like it was written by a teenager trying way too hard to make their writing interesting and in the process, making much of it pointless and overdone. There were so many similes and foreshadowing and phrasing ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: e-arc
DNF @ 5%
It's not you, it's me. 5% of a book is hardly anything to judge a book by, but I found the narrative style and voice of the book infuriating to read. And I am so sad about it because I was was really excited to read this book!

I set it aside a couple of days ago to read something else. I decided to pick it back up tonight and couldn't even make it past this page. Everything is explained in excruciating detail, the minutiae of each character and their backstory is dumped on the reader.
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Thrillers / Suspense
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

Oasis, by author Katya de Becerra, is the authors follow up to her debut novel What the Woods Keeps. Alif Scholl and four of her friends (Lori Bradford, Minh Quoc, Luke Stokowski, and Rowen Syme Jr) choose to spend a summer with her archaeologist father Andreas Scholl in the Dubai desert. There she is hopeful of meeting her crush Tommy Ortiz who is her father's research assistant. Unforeseen circumstances, as well
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I......am not quite sure what I just read. I liked it but also I'm confused. Definitely going to need this rating to sit for a bit.

Review To Come
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ashlords
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Rogue Princess
  • Songs from the Deep
  • I Have No Secrets
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Jane Anonymous
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
Katya de Becerra was born in Russia, studied in California, lived in Peru, and then stayed in Australia long enough to become a local. She was going to be an Egyptologist when she grew up, but instead she earned a PhD in Anthropology and now works as a university lecturer and a researcher. Katya is a short version of her real name, which is very long and gets mispronounced a lot. What The Woods ...more