Start by marking “Oasis” as Want to Read:
Oasis

Oasis

The oasis saved them. But who will save them from the oasis?

Alif had exciting summer plans: working on her father’s archaeological dig site in the desert with four close friends . . . and a very cute research assistant. Then the sandstorm hit.

Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by Imprint Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Oasis, please sign up.
Katya de Becerra I'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be…moreI'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be available alongside the cover reveal later this year (I've seen the cover already - and it's STUNNING....!) Keep an eye on my social media for details:) (less)
Doors of Stone by Patrick RothfussThe Winds of Winter by George R.R. MartinPeace Talks by Jim ButcherA Dream of Spring by George R.R. MartinThe Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch
Forthcoming Books
313 books — 2,071 voters
Untitled by Sarah J. MaasUntitled by Leigh BardugoOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsUntitled by Susan Dennard
YA Novels of 2020
662 books — 1,274 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Oasis
Candace Robinson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading What the Woods Keep by the author, I knew I had to get my hands on Oasis. The summary along with the cover had me absolutely intrigued. And did somebody say desert? My, my, yes they did!

Alif was the perfect protagonist because she was imperfect and you loved her, and you wanted to ask her what she was doing at times, and you were right there along with her wanting to know what was going on in this desert! And Tommy! Swoon! I loved him! Inside the oasis, Alif and her five friends
Katya de Becerra
Nov 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Welcome to the oasis, where sand is life and nothing is as it seems.

(CWs are listed in the end of this post and some are marked as spoilers. Please let me know in comments if I missed something)

Oasis is my second novel. (If you haven't read my debut, What the Woods Keep, yet, check it out, if you wish!)

I wrote Oasis exclusively on the days of heavy rain in my hometown of Melbourne, while alternating between listening to Ladytron's MIRAGE and London Grammar's NIGHTCALL on repeat.

Oasis is my
Rachael
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of The Twilight Zone or Tales Of the Unexpected, De Becerra skillfully presents the reader with the known world with its laws of nature, time and space then carefully bends reality, drawing you inexorably deeper into a narrative both terrifying and irresistible. Tense, electric storytelling that makes you wonder what you would be willing to sacrifice to have your deepest longings fulfilled.

Alif and her friends join an archeological dig in the desert outside Dubai. Rumors are
The Nerd Daily
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie McCann

The oasis saved them. But who will save them from the oasis?

With their camp wiped away, Alif and the others find themselves lost on the sands, seemingly doomed . . . until they find the oasis. It has everything they need: food, water, shade—and
Kate (beautifulbookland)
After reading and loving What the Woods Keep by Katya last year, I had high expectations going into Oasis. It’s always nerve-wracking going into an author’s second book after loving their debut so much, but I had no need to worry in this case – Katya totally nailed it, and exceeded all of my expectations.

Oasis follows Alif, who along with some close friends (and a very cute research assistant) are working on her father’s archaeological dig over their summer break. When a sand storm wreaks havoc
Cathy
Let me tell you about OASIS...

It's a strange book - and I say this in the best possible way! It's a tense survival story but also a kind of science fiction novel that really makes you ponder on the questions of humanity, identity, sentience, language and communication. Overall though, again it's a super strange, haunting, dark tale. I know it'll stay with me.

My initial thoughts upon hearing of this book: A book that's inspired by archaeology and the music of London Grammar?!!

Give. It. To. Me.
Adriann Fincher
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading WHAT THE WOODS KEEP, I'll read anything by de Becerra.
I know OASIS is going to be spectacular. Prepare yourselves.
Jackie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, arcs, 2019-reads
I wanted to read a few chapters right before bed and next thing I knew I was at the acknowledgements section and my head was spinning.

“Oasis” finds a group of friends on an archeological dig in Dubai when a sandstorm rips them from camp and their walk through the desert leads them to an oasis filled with a variety of things that should not exist but then again a group hallucination doesn’t exist either, or does it?

The best way I can describe this plot is it has a lot of elements from The
Cassie Hess
Initial thoughts: I've read de Becerra's debut (What The Woods Keep) and just can't express enough how excited I am about her sophomore book! Why is Winter 2020 so far away???

My spoiler-free review!!!!

After reading and being very impressed with de Becerra's debut What The Woods Keep last year, I knew this author had something unique to offer. There's this totally awesome thing she's got going in her writing that messes with your mind in the best possible way, if that makes sense :) So already
Vicky Who Reads
Aug 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
i'm excited to start!!! just gonna leave these here (courtesy of Katya) because some of them are spoilers.

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
NEED

Post reading thoughts:

I need this book to become a movie ASAP
trufflebooks
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I...need more answers. That was amazing.
Annie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am very pleased to be one of the very first readers of this book. Whilst the book is an ARC and still subject to edits, I can safely say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It was very easy to read and fall into the book. I enjoyed how the story set a firm foundation of the protagonist Alif, her friends and her life and how she embarks on an adventure with her friends to pursue her love of geology and site digs only to find they got more than they bargained for upon arrival.. Whilst the story ...more
Elissa Elizaro
Jan 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm already obsessed with this book and gonna hype it to myself extra hard this year!
Donna
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Whoa! This was awesome! Even if i felt like i had sand in every nook and cranny when i finished. Lol!

Tommy, Alif and her 5 friends are all swept away in a sandstorm, and they end up out in the middle of the desert. They walk and walk, afraid they’re going to die of thirst, when they come upon the Oasis. But after enjoying the fresh water and fruit, things begin to happen, friends turn on friends, and they begin to split apart. Nobody comes to look for them and they start to wonder how they will
Brooklyn Tayla
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019-reads
This was quite the remarkable feat! Just when I thought I knew what was happening, something else would come along and knock it out of the park! Katya De Becerra is well and truly a brilliant storyteller, you never know what's going to come along next and I was truly wondering what was real and what wasn't throughout!
Nathan Kirk
This was. Freaking. Awesome!

No spoilers below, just my reactions of this supercool book!

First, we've got Alif Scholl, with two ambitious archaeologists for parents. Alif is up for adventure and lives and breathes archaeology.

description

Alif and her friends are off to have the summer of their lives in Dubai, where Alif's dad is managing an excavation gig. Everyone is EXCITED.

description

Alif is diving headfirst into the daily life at the dig site while her friends are finding it all a bit much. It's not what they
Kacey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My reviews are honest and unaffected by the free copy.

This is definitely a niche kind of book. It won't appeal to everyone, and there's a lot going on that might confuse some readers. There are no clear answers in this book. So much about what happens is left open for interpretation. I personally like that but some people might not. But if you go into this book expecting something that
mattie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New favorite author?? Um YES! Can’t wait for Oasis! Loved What The Woods Keep so of course I’m going to keep my eye out for this book ...more
Kait (Elysian Words)
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do I even start to describe Oasis? Absolutely brilliant, haunting, and a favourite book of this year. I finished this earlier today and can't stop thinking about it.

'What The Woods Keep' is an all time favourite of mine and Oasis did not let me down. If anything, it was even better. The perfect combination of suspense and horror. Katya De Becerra crafts this story with interwoven pieces that tie up perfectly in the end, and leaves you wanting more.

Oasis is memorising and I could not put it
Erin Cashman
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This young adult supernatural thriller grabbed me from the very first page and kept me furiously turning pages until the heart-pounding conclusion. Beautifully written, with tense storytelling, lush descriptions, and vibrant, complex characters, OASIS is an eerie, mind-bending novel that you don't want to miss!

When a group of teens working on an archeological dig get caught in a sand storm, they're struggling to survive, until they find the oasis. But things in the oasis are not what they seem.
Robin Kirk
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alif is just the kind of heroine I love: smart, flawed, generous, funny. On her father’s archaeological dig, things start to go wrong -- and then a sand storm destroys their camp and forces Alif and her friends to figure out how they can survive. I love archaeology and I LOVE the sense of impending doom. As others have said, Oasis is a real page-turner!
Samantha Martin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Jorge
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, thrilling and mysterious, I really enjoyed Oasis and its portrayal of a young group of friends' interpersonal relationships (with some mutual interests and varying personalities) which I think most of us can relate to. Themes like yearnings of the mind and heart were also dealt with in an exciting and suspenseful way, which had me on the edge of my seat until the very last page, and beyond...a very interesting, intelligent and unique read!
Becky Johnson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this book, my heart, my soul, my nerves!!
Ok breathe, phew

I was gifted this incredible e-arc from the stunning author herself. After reading her incredible debut (What the Woods keep) and then meeting her in person (a funny, down to earth human) I had high expectations going into this second novel...
...and yes, those expectations were certainly met!!

This adventure follow a group of friends, main character Alif, Luke, Minh, Roman, and my spirit animal Lori.
Alif invited her friends
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received an eARC from Edelweiss and Netgalley for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Book review: Oasis by Katya de Becerra (3.5 stars)

Oasis by Katya de Becerra
Genre: YA, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Romance
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

I loved the mysterious vibe that this book gave off with its writing and characters, the tension that began to grow was definitely great to see as the conflict between all of them unfolded
Vinny
Thank you Imprint for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sarah Tondra
Oasis by Katya de Becerra took me a while to get into and by a while I mean, I started, stopped and would read another book, start up again, stop and read yet another book and then finally I finished Oasis. I just wasn’t impressed, the characters were not engaging and I found Alif the main character, (and only point of view) frankly annoying. There was also minimal character development, since it was all Alif all the time and she pretty much had the same thought pattern throughout the whole book ...more
Corina H
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't believe my luck that I got to read this early! Like What The Woods Keep, this is a unique story that leaves you with lots of questions (in a good way!)

I didn't even realize how eager I was to read a truly mind-bending, wholesome adventure story like this one until I started reading Oasis. Like its haunting cover, this book will definitely stay with me for a while!
Jenn
Sep 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf, arc, own
DNF. Not for me.

• Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Kingdom
  • Slay
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Songs from the Deep
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • The Grace Year
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Last Balfour
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
Katya de Becerra was born in Russia, studied in California, lived in Peru, and then stayed in Australia long enough to become a local. She was going to be an Egyptologist when she grew up, but instead she earned a PhD in Anthropology and now works as a university lecturer and a researcher. Katya is a short version of her real name, which is very long and gets mispronounced a lot. What The Woods ...more