Start by marking “Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)

Stone Cold

(Jesse Stone #4)

Jesse Stone has a problem no officer of the law likes to face: Dead bodies keep appearing, but clues do not. A man takes his dog out for a run on the beach, only to be discovered hours later - with two holes in his chest. A woman drives her Volvo to the store to do some grocery shopping, and is then found dead, her body crumpled behind her loaded shopping cart. A commuter ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published September 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Cold

Start your review of Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
Kemper
There’s a married couple in this book whose idea of fun is stalking strangers and then killing them together. The sad thing is that those two murderers have a healthier relationship than the hero of the story does with the love of his life.

In addition to trying to track down the thrill killers that are terrorizing his town, police chief Jesse Stone is also looking into the gang rape of a teenage girl. As usual, any detective work has to take a back seat to Jesse’s personal life which continues t
William
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary. The culmination of Parker's real life marriage.

This is the single most important book in Parker's life.
The book dedication says it all -
FOR JOAN:
everything started to hum
This book is really the Culmination, the self-realisation and integration of all the pain and self-discovery of Parker's life from the time of Joan's recovery from a double-mastectomy and breast cancer.

All the Spenser books, and now the Stone books, lead to this.

After Joan's brush with death, she changed, and
Bill Kerwin
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked Jesse Stone # 4 better than Jesse Stone # 3.

First of all, I liked the fact that Parker lets us know right away who the bad people are and concentrates all the suspense on their discovery and apprehension. Usually I prefer to be kept in the dark, but this pair of Yuppie sociopathic lovers and murderers—who joy in the arbitrariness of their targets—are fascinating to ponder and a pleasure to loathe. Besides, the subplot—involving a high school girl assaulted by three members of the footbal
TK421
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jesse Stone has a major problem in Paradise in this fourth installment of Parker's Jesse Stone series. It seems a pair of thrill killers, man and wife, have come to Paradise with intent to keep their thrills alive. Parker does a wonderful job of letting the reader see what type of madness swirls within the minds of these types of people, while at the same time never trying to give blanket answers to why some people are this crazy.

But the killers are only a small portion of this book. It seems t
Carolyn F.
Audiobook.

First time reading this author. I'm categorizing this as romantic as there is that element in the book, just not in a good way.

I have this stupid prejudice against male suspense/mystery writers because usually they're too gory for me or I just can't connect with the characters. That's not the case with this book. Robert Parker has probably changed my conception because this book was excellent. I loved Jesse Stone. There's a serial killer case and a rape case that's he trying to solve
Jenn
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A noir type police procedural. The first I’ve read by Parker. And I enjoyed it. Lots and lots of conversation which is well written. You learn about Jesse’s unadulterated love for his wife Jenn. No matter what she does, he’ll love her forever. And the serial killers - easy to love and hate. The rape case - disgusting yet the outcome was rather realistic.
Johnny
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Some people feel like all of Parker’s protagonists are the same. They all like to eat, they all have relationship issues, they all have a past (authority issues and/or drinking problem, possibly guilt). Yet, after reading Stone Cold, the first of the Jesse Stone mysteries I’ve read, I’m not certain I agree. First of all, one of the things I really enjoy in the Spenser series is the fact that this anti-authority figure as private eye makes smart comments all the time—even when admitting in his na ...more
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book #4 in the Jessie Stone series. I found this one to be so much better than the prior 3. I think at this point the Author was finally settling into the story and getting to know hi characters much better.

Synopsis
I decided to write my own synopsis for this book because the one that comes with it is just not very pleasing at all.

In this story we have a couple who are thrill killers and they get a real kick out of killing the residents of Paradise. After several murders Jesse begin to put
Tena
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse REALLY needs to ditch Jenn.
Gary
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The character Jesse Stone is what makes this series work. I prefer character driven stories.
Susan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-clubs
Let's see.......did Jesse sleep with 3 or 4 different women during the course of this book? And all while pining away for his ex-wife. This body count distracted me from the story of the real body count, courtesy of a loving couple of serial killers. Honestly, I wished we had learned more about them and their backstories than reading about Jesse and his string of women. I did admire that he was honest with all the women and I liked how he treated the young rape victim. Maybe popping into a serie ...more
Stven
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say I liked everything about it, but I did like very much that it kept rolling along at a brisk pace. The lead character, the police chief Jesse Stone was a fairly believable mass of contradictions. The murderers... maybe not so believable. I won't get into a detailed character analysis; this was my first time to read this author. Worth another try, anyhow.
Amanda McGill
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I'm liking the series, but the relationship between Jesse and Jenn is really starting to annoy me and holding down this series. Sadly, I was told that Jenn is in the series for a while, which is very disappointing.

There are some great strengths in the series. I enjoy how the villains are written and that the readers get a bit inside of their lives and understand why they kill. I also like how Jesse Stone and his team track down the killers.

The only other negative is that I found that the killer
Kate Quinn
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Any book of Robert B. Parker's is an exercise in crisp dialogue, and this one's no exception. His Jesse Stone novels are interesting in that he allows the point of view to expand from his hero to include others - the two serial killers narrate some chapters in this book, for a distinctly creepy effect. My one complaint, as with all the Jesse Stone books, is that I find his wife Jenn unbearable. I hope he will soon acknowledge her for the selfish cow she is, and drop her like a bad habit.
Ric
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I've read a book from the late author, and this is vintage Parker. Spare prose. Laconic characters. A straight mystery solved simply.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. Great story-telling. The ending is not so hot as if the author ran out of neat ideas to catch two runaway crooks.

Anyway, a nice visit to a favored author, and a good intro to a series I haven't tried before. More books to add to the queue.
Mahoghani 23
When a well educated successful couple decides to become serial killers, they should never choose to reside and kill in Paradise, Massachusetts with the likes of Jesse Stone as Chief of Police.

Anthony and Breanna Lincoln are ruthless people. They randomly choose citizens in the community, to include Jesse's companion Abbey Taylor.

There are no clues but the killers messed up......won't spoil the story. They just underestimated Chief Stone.
Patrick
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like many others, I picture Tom Selleck as Jesse....saw all the movies on Hallmark a few years ago. Stone Cold followed Parker's novel closely with the usual quirks and nuances of the others in the series. Not much to offer here other than sometimes 'light' reading is relaxing and entertaining.
Sandi
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-parker
Good book. It's obvious in this one that Mr. Parker has gotten comfortable with his characters, and even manages to convey the small town feel. I love Jesse Stone - who looks like Tom Selleck, of course - and the regular cast of characters, but, really, can't we drop Jenn off a cliff or something?
Scott A. Miller
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read from Parker. Stone is a great character. The book was great despite the fact that everything was right out front, no real mystery at all. That’s pretty incredible writing.
Evelyn Wilson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am just so freaking tired of Jennifer (Jenn). Really??!!! So, they love each other, big deal if they can't stay monogamous. Really???!!! That is like an animal that can't control themselves.

Page 53 . . . "this arrangement. She has you when she wants you. If she gets in trouble, you're there. If she needs sympathy or support or understand, you're there. If she wants to see somebody else, she's free to." . . .

Page 55, oh yes, y'all need to read NEED to read this page! About rape and rapist.

I ju
Cindy Veneris
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure I already read this many years ago, but I certainly enjoyed the audio book read by Robert Forster and I remembered nothing about the plot so it was very enjoyable to check in with Jesse Stone and listen to him quietly and stoically take care of the rapists and serial killers in Paradise. Parker is a great storyteller.
Greg Smith
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. This is number four in the series. Parker continues to develop the character of Jesse Stone and more is learned about him as a person. He gains some control over his demons and really comes into his own as a hard-nosed detective, the only one on the Paradise Police Department of which he also happens to be the chief of police.

It took only two days to read the book (actual reading time about 4 hours). Fast paced and interesting.
Gary
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twin crimes, chapters alternate those and personal romance with a few chapters for the bad guys. Dialogue is choppy. Bland stories.
Kaitlyn Vaden
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jesse Stone is one of my all-time favorite characters <3 ...more
Paula Dembeck
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading the Jesse Stone series in order and think this is the best book so far.

Jesse is working on two cases: one involves a serial killer who appears to be making random killings in the small town of Paradise. Each victim has been shot in the chest at close range and was brought down with two bullets fired simultaneously from two different guns. Each shot that was fired was deadly and would have killed the victim, so it is curious that two guns have been used. There appears to be no
Sharon
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Another winner from Mr Parker. I am enjoying the Jesse Stone books so much.

Jesse Stone, police chief in Paradise, has a new problem, dead bodies keep turning up, they seem to have no connection to each other and all have been shot by two different weapons. As hard as it is to believe, what it must be is thrill seekers. Two people that just get a charge out of killing, for whatever reason. Poor Jesse, how in heavens name do you find killers who have no apparent motive? A woman grocery shopping,
Shane
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
These books just get better as they go along. Quick chapters, interesting characters, and KNOWING that there is a better than average chance that Jesse is going to hit someone in the nuts make for good reading.

This story, like the others, wraps up quickly once things start to happen, but it doesn't feel nearly as rushed as it could have. The murderers are truly fascinating characters in and of themselves. While they don't exactly make you hope they get away, they're still very well developed ps
Lou
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely liked this book - I kept imagining Tom Selleck in the Jesse Stone role since I had seen him play the part of Hallmark Channel.

Stone is investigating both the rape of a young girl by a number of high school boys and a series of seemingly not connected murders. Both crimes have the town of Paradise on edge. Stone has to juggle these investigations, his drinking, love life, and many other things.

This definitely is a good read!
Jeff Dickison
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent Jesse Stone novel which illustrates one of Parker's great strengths: his simple but realistic plots. Yes, the witty repartee is here, so is the quick, but incisive character development and the energy and excitement. But it is the simple, well done plots that dominate all of Parker's writing. Highly recommended.
Minx
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Ok it needs to be said--there is a lot of focus on a gang rape that includes detailing out the stories from the kids. I found that to be disturbing! There is a set of serial killers that are bit twisted and I found that to be less than thrilling. Unhealthy relationships abound throughout the story. The story is good for it's genre but just not for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Cheap Shot (Spenser, #42)
  • Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • The Iron Tiger
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Kickback (Spenser, #43)
  • Slow Burn (Spenser, #44)
  • Robert B. Parker's Grudge Match (Sunny Randall Book 8)
  • Romeo's Stand (Mike Romeo Thrillers Book 5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud (Sunny Randall, #7)
  • Robert B. Parker's Revelation (A Cole and Hitch Novel Book 9)
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson, #10)
  • Little White Lies (Spenser, #45)
  • The Burglar in Short Order
  • The Cyclist (The DS Cross mysteries Book 2)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...