Start by marking “Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)

Stone Cold

(Jesse Stone #4)

Jesse Stone has a problem no officer of the law likes to face: Dead bodies keep appearing, but clues do not. A man takes his dog out for a run on the beach, only to be discovered hours later - with two holes in his chest. A woman drives her Volvo to the store to do some grocery shopping, and is then found dead, her body crumpled behind her loaded shopping cart. A commuter ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published September 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Cold

Kemper
There’s a married couple in this book whose idea of fun is stalking strangers and then killing them together. The sad thing is that those two murderers have a healthier relationship than the hero of the story does with the love of his life.

In addition to trying to track down the thrill killers that are terrorizing his town, police chief Jesse Stone is also looking into the gang rape of a teenage girl. As usual, any detective work has to take a back seat to Jesse’s personal life which continues t
William
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary. The culmination of Parker's real life marriage.

This is the single most important book in Parker's life.
The book dedication says it all -
FOR JOAN:
everything started to hum
This book is really the Culmination, the self-realisation and integration of all the pain and self-discovery of Parker's life from the time of Joan's recovery from a double-mastectomy and breast cancer.

All the Spenser books, and now the Stone books, lead to this.

After Joan's brush with death, she changed, and n
TK421
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jesse Stone has a major problem in Paradise in this fourth installment of Parker's Jesse Stone series. It seems a pair of thrill killers, man and wife, have come to Paradise with intent to keep their thrills alive. Parker does a wonderful job of letting the reader see what type of madness swirls within the minds of these types of people, while at the same time never trying to give blanket answers to why some people are this crazy.

But the killers are only a small portion of this book. It seems t
Jenn
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A noir type police procedural. The first I’ve read by Parker. And I enjoyed it. Lots and lots of conversation which is well written. You learn about Jesse’s unadulterated love for his wife Jenn. No matter what she does, he’ll love her forever. And the serial killers - easy to love and hate. The rape case - disgusting yet the outcome was rather realistic.
Johnny
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Some people feel like all of Parker’s protagonists are the same. They all like to eat, they all have relationship issues, they all have a past (authority issues and/or drinking problem, possibly guilt). Yet, after reading Stone Cold, the first of the Jesse Stone mysteries I’ve read, I’m not certain I agree. First of all, one of the things I really enjoy in the Spenser series is the fact that this anti-authority figure as private eye makes smart comments all the time—even when admitting in his na ...more
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book #4 in the Jessie Stone series. I found this one to be so much better than the prior 3. I think at this point the Author was finally settling into the story and getting to know hi characters much better.

Synopsis
I decided to write my own synopsis for this book because the one that comes with it is just not very pleasing at all.

In this story we have a couple who are thrill killers and they get a real kick out of killing the residents of Paradise. After several murders Jesse begin to put
Carolyn F.
Audiobook.

First time reading this author. I'm categorizing this as romantic as there is that element in the book, just not in a good way.

I have this stupid prejudice against male suspense/mystery writers because usually they're too gory for me or I just can't connect with the characters. That's not the case with this book. Robert Parker has probably changed my conception because this book was excellent. I loved Jesse Stone. There's a serial killer case and a rape case that's he trying to solve
Gary
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The character Jesse Stone is what makes this series work. I prefer character driven stories.
Tena
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse REALLY needs to ditch Jenn.
Susan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-clubs
Let's see.......did Jesse sleep with 3 or 4 different women during the course of this book? And all while pining away for his ex-wife. This body count distracted me from the story of the real body count, courtesy of a loving couple of serial killers. Honestly, I wished we had learned more about them and their backstories than reading about Jesse and his string of women. I did admire that he was honest with all the women and I liked how he treated the young rape victim. Maybe popping into a serie ...more
Amanda McGill
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I'm liking the series, but the relationship between Jesse and Jenn is really starting to annoy me and holding down this series. Sadly, I was told that Jenn is in the series for a while, which is very disappointing.

There are some great strengths in the series. I enjoy how the villains are written and that the readers get a bit inside of their lives and understand why they kill. I also like how Jesse Stone and his team track down the killers.

The only other negative is that I found that the killer
Mahoghani 23
When a well educated successful couple decides to become serial killers, they should never choose to reside and kill in Paradise, Massachusetts with the likes of Jesse Stone as Chief of Police.

Anthony and Breanna Lincoln are ruthless people. They randomly choose citizens in the community, to include Jesse's companion Abbey Taylor.

There are no clues but the killers messed up......won't spoil the story. They just underestimated Chief Stone.
Ric
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I've read a book from the late author, and this is vintage Parker. Spare prose. Laconic characters. A straight mystery solved simply.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. Great story-telling. The ending is not so hot as if the author ran out of neat ideas to catch two runaway crooks.

Anyway, a nice visit to a favored author, and a good intro to a series I haven't tried before. More books to add to the queue.
Patrick
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like many others, I picture Tom Selleck as Jesse....saw all the movies on Hallmark a few years ago. Stone Cold followed Parker's novel closely with the usual quirks and nuances of the others in the series. Not much to offer here other than sometimes 'light' reading is relaxing and entertaining.
Sandi
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-b-parker
Good book. It's obvious in this one that Mr. Parker has gotten comfortable with his characters, and even manages to convey the small town feel. I love Jesse Stone - who looks like Tom Selleck, of course - and the regular cast of characters, but, really, can't we drop Jenn off a cliff or something?
Evelyn Wilson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am just so freaking tired of Jennifer (Jenn). Really??!!! So, they love each other, big deal if they can't stay monogamous. Really???!!! That is like an animal that can't control themselves.

Page 53 . . . "this arrangement. She has you when she wants you. If she gets in trouble, you're there. If she needs sympathy or support or understand, you're there. If she wants to see somebody else, she's free to." . . .

Page 55, oh yes, y'all need to read NEED to read this page! About rape and rapist.

I ju
Greg Smith
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. This is number four in the series. Parker continues to develop the character of Jesse Stone and more is learned about him as a person. He gains some control over his demons and really comes into his own as a hard-nosed detective, the only one on the Paradise Police Department of which he also happens to be the chief of police.

It took only two days to read the book (actual reading time about 4 hours). Fast paced and interesting.
Gary
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twin crimes, chapters alternate those and personal romance with a few chapters for the bad guys. Dialogue is choppy. Bland stories.
Kaitlyn Vaden
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jesse Stone is one of my all-time favorite characters <3
Paula Dembeck
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading the Jesse Stone series in order and think this is the best book so far.

Jesse is working on two cases: one involves a serial killer who appears to be making random killings in the small town of Paradise. Each victim has been shot in the chest at close range and was brought down with two bullets fired simultaneously from two different guns. Each shot that was fired was deadly and would have killed the victim, so it is curious that two guns have been used. There appears to be no
Sharon
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Another winner from Mr Parker. I am enjoying the Jesse Stone books so much.

Jesse Stone, police chief in Paradise, has a new problem, dead bodies keep turning up, they seem to have no connection to each other and all have been shot by two different weapons. As hard as it is to believe, what it must be is thrill seekers. Two people that just get a charge out of killing, for whatever reason. Poor Jesse, how in heavens name do you find killers who have no apparent motive? A woman grocery shopping,
Shane
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
These books just get better as they go along. Quick chapters, interesting characters, and KNOWING that there is a better than average chance that Jesse is going to hit someone in the nuts make for good reading.

This story, like the others, wraps up quickly once things start to happen, but it doesn't feel nearly as rushed as it could have. The murderers are truly fascinating characters in and of themselves. While they don't exactly make you hope they get away, they're still very well developed ps
Anja
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
puh, schwer, etwas dazu zu sagen. die Story selbst mit den morden war eine super Idee. aber die Charaktere waren schon echt flach und eindimensional und die Erzählung ein wenig zu stumpf. Ich konnte mir jesse stone nicht ein einziges mal bildlich vorstellen und das will mal was heißen. zudem wurden alle Frauen in seinem Umfeld zu seinen sexobjekten degradiert, was mich echt verstört hat.

wahrscheinlich ist die original Version besser, aber ich werde es nicht ausprobieren...sorry, ein ziemlicher r
Lou
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely liked this book - I kept imagining Tom Selleck in the Jesse Stone role since I had seen him play the part of Hallmark Channel.

Stone is investigating both the rape of a young girl by a number of high school boys and a series of seemingly not connected murders. Both crimes have the town of Paradise on edge. Stone has to juggle these investigations, his drinking, love life, and many other things.

This definitely is a good read!
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Ok it needs to be said--there is a lot of focus on a gang rape that includes detailing out the stories from the kids. I found that to be disturbing! There is a set of serial killers that are bit twisted and I found that to be less than thrilling. Unhealthy relationships abound throughout the story. The story is good for it's genre but just not for me.
Jeff Dickison
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent Jesse Stone novel which illustrates one of Parker's great strengths: his simple but realistic plots. Yes, the witty repartee is here, so is the quick, but incisive character development and the energy and excitement. But it is the simple, well done plots that dominate all of Parker's writing. Highly recommended.
Barbara Woodford
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the books that have Jesse Stone as the main character. The word "fuck" really bothers me and it is used frequently in all of his books. I prefer to think of it as "making love" if it is with someone of significance like a spouse.
Tom
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book. Great way to while away some time in the car.
Hermien
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Jesse Stone and the interaction with his team.
Maureen
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Same old same old, but enjoyable.
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Passport To Peril
  • Border Town Girl
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud (Sunny Randall)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)