Start by marking “Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)

Stone Cold (Jesse Stone #4)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  5,478 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
Tony and Brianna Lincoln just moved into Paradise, but friendly they aren't. In fact, these urbane thrill killers are knocking off the neighbors one by one, and Jesse Stone is next.
Published September 28th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published September 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Cold

Kemper
There’s a married couple in this book whose idea of fun is stalking strangers and then killing them together. The sad thing is that those two murderers have a healthier relationship than the hero of the story does with the love of his life.

In addition to trying to track down the thrill killers that are terrorizing his town, police chief Jesse Stone is also looking into the gang rape of a teenage girl. As usual, any detective work has to take a back seat to Jesse’s personal life which continues t
TK421
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jesse Stone has a major problem in Paradise in this fourth installment of Parker's Jesse Stone series. It seems a pair of thrill killers, man and wife, have come to Paradise with intent to keep their thrills alive. Parker does a wonderful job of letting the reader see what type of madness swirls within the minds of these types of people, while at the same time never trying to give blanket answers to why some people are this crazy.

But the killers are only a small portion of this book. It seems t
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book #4 in the Jessie Stone series. I found this one to be so much better than the prior 3. I think at this point the Author was finally settling into the story and getting to know hi characters much better.

Synopsis
I decided to write my own synopsis for this book because the one that comes with it is just not very pleasing at all.

In this story we have a couple who are thrill killers and they get a real kick out of killing the residents of Paradise. After several murders Jesse begin to put
Carolyn F.
Audiobook.

First time reading this author. I'm categorizing this as romantic as there is that element in the book, just not in a good way.

I have this stupid prejudice against male suspense/mystery writers because usually they're too gory for me or I just can't connect with the characters. That's not the case with this book. Robert Parker has probably changed my conception because this book was excellent. I loved Jesse Stone. There's a serial killer case and a rape case that's he trying to solve
Mahoghani 23
When a well educated successful couple decides to become serial killers, they should never choose to reside and kill in Paradise, Massachusetts with the likes of Jesse Stone as Chief of Police.

Anthony and Breanna Lincoln are ruthless people. They randomly choose citizens in the community, to include Jesse's companion Abbey Taylor.

There are no clues but the killers messed up......won't spoil the story. They just underestimated Chief Stone.
Ric
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I've read a book from the late author, and this is vintage Parker. Spare prose. Laconic characters. A straight mystery solved simply.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. Great story-telling. The ending is not so hot as if the author ran out of neat ideas to catch two runaway crooks.

Anyway, a nice visit to a favored author, and a good intro to a series I haven't tried before. More books to add to the queue.
Patrick
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like many others, I picture Tom Selleck as Jesse....saw all the movies on Hallmark a few years ago. Stone Cold followed Parker's novel closely with the usual quirks and nuances of the others in the series. Not much to offer here other than sometimes 'light' reading is relaxing and entertaining.
Johnny
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Some people feel like all of Parker’s protagonists are the same. They all like to eat, they all have relationship issues, they all have a past (authority issues and/or drinking problem, possibly guilt). Yet, after reading Stone Cold, the first of the Jesse Stone mysteries I’ve read, I’m not certain I agree. First of all, one of the things I really enjoy in the Spenser series is the fact that this anti-authority figure as private eye makes smart comments all the time—even when admitting in his na ...more
Sharon
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Another winner from Mr Parker. I am enjoying the Jesse Stone books so much.

Jesse Stone, police chief in Paradise, has a new problem, dead bodies keep turning up, they seem to have no connection to each other and all have been shot by two different weapons. As hard as it is to believe, what it must be is thrill seekers. Two people that just get a charge out of killing, for whatever reason. Poor Jesse, how in heavens name do you find killers who have no apparent motive? A woman grocery shopping,
Shane
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
These books just get better as they go along. Quick chapters, interesting characters, and KNOWING that there is a better than average chance that Jesse is going to hit someone in the nuts make for good reading.

This story, like the others, wraps up quickly once things start to happen, but it doesn't feel nearly as rushed as it could have. The murderers are truly fascinating characters in and of themselves. While they don't exactly make you hope they get away, they're still very well developed ps
Anja L
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
puh, schwer, etwas dazu zu sagen. die Story selbst mit den morden war eine super Idee. aber die Charaktere waren schon echt flach und eindimensional und die Erzählung ein wenig zu stumpf. Ich konnte mir jesse stone nicht ein einziges mal bildlich vorstellen und das will mal was heißen. zudem wurden alle Frauen in seinem Umfeld zu seinen sexobjekten degradiert, was mich echt verstört hat.

wahrscheinlich ist die original Version besser, aber ich werde es nicht ausprobieren...sorry, ein ziemlicher r
Lou
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely liked this book - I kept imagining Tom Selleck in the Jesse Stone role since I had seen him play the part of Hallmark Channel.

Stone is investigating both the rape of a young girl by a number of high school boys and a series of seemingly not connected murders. Both crimes have the town of Paradise on edge. Stone has to juggle these investigations, his drinking, love life, and many other things.

This definitely is a good read!
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Ok it needs to be said--there is a lot of focus on a gang rape that includes detailing out the stories from the kids. I found that to be disturbing! There is a set of serial killers that are bit twisted and I found that to be less than thrilling. Unhealthy relationships abound throughout the story. The story is good for it's genre but just not for me.
Jeff Dickison
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent Jesse Stone novel which illustrates one of Parker's great strengths: his simple but realistic plots. Yes, the witty repartee is here, so is the quick, but incisive character development and the energy and excitement. But it is the simple, well done plots that dominate all of Parker's writing. Highly recommended.
Barbara Woodford
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the books that have Jesse Stone as the main character. The word "fuck" really bothers me and it is used frequently in all of his books. I prefer to think of it as "making love" if it is with someone of significance like a spouse.
Tom
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book. Great way to while away some time in the car.
Hermien
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Jesse Stone and the interaction with his team.
Maureen
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Same old same old, but enjoyable.
Tena
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse REALLY needs to ditch Jenn.
Barbara Bengston
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like Parker's writing style. It helps to make the story even more exciting.
False
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robert B. Parker fans, Massachusetts fans, Serial Killers
This isn't a review of the book. Just my personal notes. I have read all of Robert B. Parker over the years, including the newer books post-death. I've said before that his estate did take care to secure multiple writers to take on the voice of Parker and his creations with success, although for me, there will always be that "something" missing. In looking at Good Reads, I realized most of what I had read wasn't showing because I read the books so long ago. At first I was going to skim the books ...more
Betty Day
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The couple that kills together stays together . . . Jesse and Jenn still working out their relationship . . . Side play about psychotherapy insights . . . more one-words sentences from Jesse . . . a parade of women through his bedroom - when they can manage to wait long enough to get that far . . . local rape . . . three young thugs . . . engaging story . . .
Keith
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
AD, fiction, mystery, detective, Paradise, MA, ex-LA detective, Jesse Stone, battles ruthless serial killers
Sheila
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jesse and his team hunt for a serial killer in Paradise.
Mindy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The chapters that have the boring and self-absorbed Jenn are eye-rolling gag-inducers, but if you skip those, Parker's books are a nice bedtime read.
Betharie
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
fine potboiler mystery. Probably like the TV movies better but still good diversion. Beach reading.
Kathy
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Paula Dembeck
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading the Jesse Stone series in order and think this is the best book so far.

Jesse is working on two cases: one involves a serial killer who appears to be making random killings in the small town of Paradise. Each victim has been shot in the chest at close range and was brought down with two bullets fired simultaneously from two different guns. Each shot that was fired was deadly and would have killed the victim, so it is curious that two guns have been used. There appears to be no
John
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Parker excels with his Jesse Stone series.
Jon Borah
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it

From Publishers Weekly

It's taken four novels, but finally Parker's Jesse Stone series has produced a book as good as top-drawer Spenser. This outing finds the laconic, troubled cop tackling three problems: to capture the pair of serial killers who are murdering random victims in small-town Paradise, Mass., where St

• Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • The Only Girl in the Game
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • The Joe Leaphorn Mysteries: The Blessing Way / Dance Hall of the Dead / Listening Woman (Leaphorn  & Chee, #1-3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)