Start by marking “Becoming: Sex, Second Chances, and Figuring Out Who the Hell I am” as Want to Read:
Becoming: Sex, Second Chances, and Figuring Out Who the Hell I am

Becoming: Sex, Second Chances, and Figuring Out Who the Hell I am

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  424 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
After being dumped by the man she thought she was going to marry, Laura, hurt and bewildered, turned to excess in an effort to heal; misplacing her anger for one man with all men and using sex as a weapon. After one final lewd encounter Laura declared a vow of celibacy and moved to an Italian convent. Set in Paris, Rome, Detroit and Derby this is the story of her life befo ...more
Published June 2nd 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Becoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming

Katey Lovell
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This memoir is a frank and honest account of the author's relationships during a tumultuous time. Exploring sex, celibacy and confidence, this is a read which will likely appeal to feminists, millennials and the younger end of Gen X. Funny and poignant, crushing and at times crude, I couldn't help but feel for Laura as she considered who she was and what she wanted from all aspects of her life.

A well-written look at the sex life of one single woman in modern society.
Cat Perrins
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
'I’m proud of who I am but I’m well aware that Gwen is more palatable – she’s smoother round the edges. Less opinionated…By comparison I’m a blonde, loud, hurricane of a mess, constantly asking why and demanding who and talktalktalking. I take up so much more space.'

Everybody LOVED this book and honestly, I don't know what I'm missing, but I couldn't even finish it. To me there is such a difference between introspection and self-obsession, and this book absolutely crosses that line. So not only
Seymour Glass
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this is the book a lot of young women have been waiting for - overcoming heartbreak and loss of identity by adventuring your way into a new existence? Yes please! I've lent my copy to several friends already, all of whom said they had various moments of self-identification while reading. It's hard not to when a lot of this book concerns being made to feel ashamed of who you are - your sexuality, your thirst for knowledge and success and experience, and your unassailable femaleness in ...more
Nicola
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been an avid reader of Laura Jane William's blog 'Superlatively Rude' for around four years now, and it's one of the few that I still check up on regularly. When I heard that she'd signed a book deal I hit the 'pre-order' button as soon as I could and waited patiently for the release date to arrive.

After being dumped by her childhood sweetheart, who then goes on to marry her best friend, Laura stumbles through the next few years in a haze of sadness, booze and men, before embarking on a yea
Rosie Ellen
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Devoured this. A little too much gratuitous graphic sex in the beginning to set the scene, but the rest of it I loved - a fair bit of repetition from her blog (which I also love) but I really enjoyed filling in the gaps between stories I knew and the, aha, so that was him moment I had. An interesting and empowering journey through heartbreak.
Paula Dennan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
After being dumped by her childhood sweetheart, the man she thought she was going to marry, Laura Jane Williams turns to excess in order to deal with heartache. Drink? Check. One night stands? Check. Having a good time is nothing to be ashamed of. But what happens when you are no longer having a good time? What happens when you realise that you haven’t really dealt with the fact your ex-boyfriend is marrying your friend? What happens when you realise that you don’t really like who you’ve become? ...more
Alice Caryer
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book because Laura is a lot like me. However, I don't particularly like myself and I am at times extremely irritating, as is Laura. This book was me at my most self absorbed and repetitive. There are quite a few reviews on here that say it all really; the book comes across as quite fake, and while I don't really think it's my place to say someone's memoir is fake, I can't help but feel it. I honestly don't really think Laura had got anywhere close to being comfortabl ...more
Amy Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-unread
If you hang around on the Internet, you've probably come across Laura Jane Williams and her brilliant blog at one time or another (and if you haven't, where have you been?). There was a lot of praise for her first book when it came out last year but it's only just fallen into my hands. With a subtitle of 'Sex, Second Chances, and Figuring Out Who the Hell I am', you can guess at the subject matter, and I think a lot of people will have similar stories to tell from their own lives - but isn't tha ...more
Jennifer Richards
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I could identify with so many things that happened in this book! The heartbreak, the casual sex, the realisations etc. The book gets much better as it goes on. I have to say that at the beginning some of the dialogue between the characters came over a bit “cheesy”, and this is very petty but I noticed a few typos which makes the book seem amateur when it really isn’t. Overall though a very enjoyable read, I was rooting for Laura throughout and I’m going to follow her blog now too.
Lauren Kaye
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Funny whilst heartbreaking all in one.

This is a perfect read for the modern woman trying to find herself.

From one night stands to travelling around Europe and seedy heartbreaking moments. This is written with the intent that we have all felt some of the emotions expressed in this book.

Will definitely recommend to friends.
Rosie
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I hate myself for such a low review as I adore Laura’s blog and Instagram, I recommend it to others all the time. However I couldn’t get on bored with Becoming. It felt so over emphasised and fake? Some of the conversations - nobody talks like that nobody I know anyone. Nobody actually calls there best friend baby girl or sugar tits, do they?
Brianna Henderson
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What a memoir

Following how much I loved Dolly Alderton's love memoir, I loved this just as much. About heartbreak and loss, and probably too much sex. A heart felt story that is so brutally honest and explicit. It's just so real and beautiful
Kathryn Black
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
At times, this book is an inspiring, optimistic tale of someone learning to love themselves, but at others it sounds like your drunken friend telling you about their sad life over and over and over again after one too many drinks at the pub.
Summer
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I don't usually gravitate toward these types of books, I really enjoyed Laura's story. Her writing style is fantastic: it's thought-provoking without being pretentious, emotionally charged without being over-dramatic, reflective without being self-indulgent.
Natalie Fox
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Felt like I was riding the tricky young woman adventure with Laura- fantastically written, funny, poignant and a wonderful reflection of that rollercoaster of a ride when you’re just trying to figure out the woman you want to be!
Amy Rowland
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Jade
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book! I have been a fan of LJW for a while and have only just got round to reading her debut, I cannot wait to read the next books from her.
Katherine Poole
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this book is one that many women have been waiting for. It's bold and empowered. Still, much of the subject didn't resonate with me and I found myself struggling to reach the end.
Shona
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I’m so confused at all the rave-reviews? This was absolute self-absorbed drivel. It was so dull. I was hoping this would be uplifting and inspiring but in reality, I was so bored.
Annelies
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Misschien had ik hier te veel van verwacht, maar ik heb me meer geërgerd en afgevraagd hoelang het boek nog was, dan dat ik het ontroerend of knap vond.
Megan (Magic & Musings)
This review was originally posted here on my blog, Magic & Musings.

'Laura Jane Williams, you've done it again.' This is what I say every time I read a new blog post of Laura's, closing my laptop lid and having a good old think. The most recent time I said this was about an hour ago when I finished the final page of her debut book, Becoming. Gosh, that was a good book, and I honestly didn't expect any less from her.

I've been following Laura's blog, Superlatively Rude, for longer than I can es
Kat Sommers
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Can't remember why I downloaded this - a review, maybe. A promise of an honest account of heartbreak and despair, my two favourite topics. And it did deliver - for about the first third. Until it got a third of the way in it was funny, unflinching, and self-critical. Then everything seemed to be resolved (or at least, the first of a long line of life-changing resolutions occurred), and the rest was just "life lesson" after "life lesson", delivered in over-serious, quasi-philosophical prose and s ...more
Jade Harvey
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

As a devoted enemy of memoirs such as 'Eat, Pray, Love', I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book.

Most likely because I'm from Derby, exceptionally promiscuous and a writer, this book resonated so much with me. I read this after a nervous breakdown and a break up, and found solace in Laura's honesty and lack of inhibition.

If you feel silly or sad about being heartbroken and hurt, I implore you to read this. This book helped me feel positive and happy when I was at rock bottom and not expecting to
Nicole K
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I've done my best. To demand any more would be forgivable, of course, but totally pointless."

Never before has a title held so much meaning. The amount of strength and power in that one word is unreal, something you can only truly grasp by reading Laura's story for yourself; the story of her Becoming.

This book is a source of comfort and inspiration. It proves that we don't have to have a plan. We don't have to know where we're going or even like where we are, not all the time. Life is a journey.
Lisa
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
loved it
Michele Gorman
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and poignantly honest.
Gem
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honest and brave, loved it!
Cristóbal
Jun 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
It started amazingly and slowly turned into a difficult story to read. I've felt it as it started as an apology of sex with the world and ended as moral lecture or a mediocre attempt to one.

rrr
Jamie Klingler
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having read the first draft and watch the lifecycle of this book- very proud that LJ shared her journey and continues to do so...
Rachel Del
Incredible. Incredible incredible. Expect a much better review to come :)
  • Approaching the Natural: A Health Manifesto
  • Your Brain on Love: The Neurobiology of Healthy Relationships
  • Breathing Under Water
  • The Kind Of Life It's Been: A Memoir
  • Lovingkindness Meditation: Learning to Love Through Insight Meditation
  • Dreams from the Monster Factory: A Tale of Prison, Redemption, and One Woman's Fight to Restore Justice to All
  • Standing Tall: My Journey
  • 24 Hour Mindfulness: How to be calmer and kinder in the midst of it all
  • Soldier of Change: From the Closet to the Forefront of the Gay Rights Movement
  • The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today
  • Everything Is Workable: A Zen Approach to Conflict Resolution
  • On Being Vegan: Reflections on a Compassionate Life
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop
  • Can't Think Straight: A Memoir of Mixed-Up Love
  • Down to This: Squalor and Splendour in a Big-City Shantytown
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • The Goddess Experience: Custom-made for You