Start by marking “The Carpenter's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Carpenter's Daughter

The Carpenter's Daughter

One word can change a life.

Published April 15th 2016 by Rooted Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Carpenter's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carpenter's Daughter

Toni Shiloh
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness.

This book is amazing. Anyone who has ever struggled with identity, on whether or not their pretty, loved, valued...this book is for you! It tugs at the innermost part of your being and doesn't let go until the final page. I loved reading it even though there were parts that gripped me with concern for Sarah Sharpe. This book is a must read!
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
One word. One sentence. Words. They can hurt or they can build. In this book, Sarah overhears two women talking about her. One word in one sentence shatters her. Sometimes I think we just don't think about how much weight our words hold. Words hold so much power. I wish more people would use their words to build and love instead of to hurt and destroy.

This is a story of journey and overcoming, I think. Sarah's life is so very limited by her father's design. She doesn't love herself and she doesn
Sarah Monzon
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Rodewald is one of my all time favorite authors. She makes every character she writes seem like a real person with real struggles, and, ultimately, real redemption. That being said, this book is my favorite of hers so far. I don't think there is a single person who won't be able to relate to Sarah Sharpe. The writing is exquisitely beautiful as well. If you are fans of Katie Ganshert or Varina Denman then you will absolutely love this book. (Even if you aren't fans you'll still love it! ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One word can change a life.
Sarah Sharpe has grown up as a carpenter’s daughter, knowing only the rough and work-heavy world of her father’s blue-collar profession. Abandoned by her mother as a baby, she’s lived twenty-one years content to drive nails at her dad’s side. Following her father into the world of construction was a natural path, and she took it without a second thought. But a harsh comment about her “butch” appearance sends her on a search for identity.
Enter handsome and easygoing J
Sarah Ruut
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who am I?

The question haunts Sarah, pushing her toward the truth. Fortunately for her, there are people in her life who are able to help her find that truth.

Jesse sees beyond Sarah’s tough exterior and longs to help her heal. With wisdom beyond his years (as Godly wisdom is), he gently leads her as she searches.

Having read one of Jennifer Rodewald’s books before, I was not prepared for this story. Wow! I enjoyed the other one, but this story was a heart-tugger.

The Carpenter’s Daughter is told in
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Sharpe is a carpenter's daughter, just not "The Carpenter's" daughter, and Jesse Chapman is completely helpless to do anything about it.

Breathtakingly lovely, Sarah has been hidden underneath baggy jeans, oversized shirts, steel-toed boots and an ever-present tool belt; she builds things. That's what she does. That's all she's known. After inadvertently overhearing a degrading remark spoken by a total stranger, Sarah decides that it's not who she wants to be, and cautiously begins the sea
Kara
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
I have to admit that I really wanted to love this story more than I did! I really did enjoy the romance portions, and thought Jesse and Sarah had pretty amazing chemistry. I felt each emotional punch as Sarah struggled to find a relationship with God and Jesse struggled to do the right thing with this woman he was intensely drawn to. Sarah's journey was especially poignant and watching her navigate these new feelings felt real. Even in her relationship with her father, I could understand her fee ...more
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
The Carpenter’s Daughter by Jennifer Rodewald is heartachingly beautiful. I say that because my heart ached nearly from word one all the way to the last punctuation mark. And because even in the heartache, sometimes because of the heartache, it was beautiful.

In The Carpenter’s Daughter, Jennifer Rodewald has crafted a tender and poignant story of love. Not just the love between man and woman but also the love that Jesus has for each of us. The first person perspective, shifting between three mai
Corey
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Daughter of the King

I loved this book. I preordered this book as soon as I got the email and that says alot because I rarely buy books. I must love the author or its KU. So I one clicked and the book is great and on my list to reread again and again. I have asked myself who I am or am I really who God has created me to be? Am I living a vision of myself or the vision of how the Creator of the universe sees me? I like that you go thru the struggle with Sarah and you can relate to her experience.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a beautiful story about faith, love, hope, redemption, forgiveness, and trust. (I am sure many other messages could be found it this book.)

Sarah is a young lady who is a construction worker. She works with her father and uncle, it is the life she knows and was raised to. A rude comment about her being a "butch" girl begin a growing process. She begins to wonder what she has been missing and desires to look more like a woman. Her journey unlocks her potential and opens her heart to Jesse
Just Commonly
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first scene caught on like rapid fire. Have you ever felt like you aren't good enough? Or that you don't know who you are, that everything you believed about yourself just doesn't fit right? How about like you are nothing? Well, you NEED to read The Carpenter's Daughter by Jennifer Rodewald. And that first scene ignites this journey of self-discovery for Sarah, our main character, and even possibly yourself, as the reader.

The Carpenter's Daughter is heart-rendingly touching, capturing your h
Bhriv
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Carpenter’s Daughter, written by Jennifer Rodewald, is the third book I’ve read by this author and am still amazed at what a wonderful read she creates each time!
The Carpenter’s Daughter is a unique read because each chapter, while written in first person, has individual first person sections for each main character…Sarah, Dale, and Jesse. I’ve never read a book like it before, but it was truly exciting to be within each character’s mind...thoughts. Sarah is on a search to find "herself." In
Jessica Johnson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a long time! Jennifer Rodewald has such a strong and unique author voice, I just wanted to quit writing until I learned her "technique." Whatever she knows, I want to know it. Or maybe it just comes naturally to her! Amazing. I was pulled into the character's heads from the very start. I felt their struggles. Empathized with their pain. As soon as Sarah heard those horrible ladies call her "butch," I was invested in her story. In her life. I really wanted "Sapphira" to und ...more
Christi
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite books of the summer! I absolutely loved Sarah. I loved that she wasn't society's idea of beautiful. I loved that she was physically strong and yet insecure emotionally. There was so much detail and thought put into her story. The only person I loved more than Sarah was Jesse. My heart ached for the misunderstandings that ensued. The redemption part The Carpenter's Daughter happened a little fast for me, but redemption can happen at any point and can be triggered ...more
Carolyn
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this author's voice from the first pages, where she expertly created such sympathy for Sarah. Although I think the first half of the novel packed more emotional punch for me than the second half, the characters are so well developed that it ends up being more than enough to keep you reading through to the end, well past your bedtime.

Even though I sometimes longed for Jesse, who is otherwise forthright, to speak more plainly to Sarah about his feelings, their rocky relationship was believ
Pascale
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is somewhat of a coming-of-age story. It's about becoming self-aware; a spiritual journey. Jesse sticks to his convictions, keeping God first in his life, even if it means not moving forward with the woman he loves. All of the characters are affected by their pasts but whether they have God in their lives determines the outlook they have on the present and the future. This story is about finding yourself, not holding onto the past, and moving onto the future - with God first in your life. T ...more
Janice M Blakey
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful love story

Patience is a virtue and knowing when to get out of God's way so he can work in a person's life is also a sign of maturity in Christ. Jesse's faith kept his physical desires pure until God could work in Sarah's heart and help mend her broken spirit and self-esteem. Jesse was aware that a relationship unequally yoked could be disastrous.
Mikal Dawn
My thoughts:
This is seriously Jennifer Rodewald's best yet. Oh, how I mean that with everything in me!!! I was captivated, moved, and awed! What a heartbreaking, real, and gut-wrenchingly honest story sooo full of hope!!!

More to come when I've had time to process. :)
Marylin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Touching Story

This story by Jennifer Rodewald is a tender story. It is full of heart touching drama as well as, never-ending hope. The author weaves tender moments throughout this story. Sarah struggles with issues of self worth, yet so does Jesse even tho he seems confident. They both learn there is only one place to find worth and one person to fill the void and that's God.
This story hit home with me because I've always struggled to find my worth and purpose. I loved how the author used
Megan Besing
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved!

Best book I've read this year so far. And the writing was great too... Really could go on and on with more details, but, to save us all some time.
Is this book worth the cost: Yes!
Is this book worth the time:Yes!
Is this an author to follow: Yes!

Lucette Nel
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've always struggled with insecurites. I think most people do. When I was a teen, I read the kiddies book You Are Special, by Max Lucado. I loved it. And what that book did for me then, The Carpenter's Daughter did for me now as an adult.
I love Ms. Rodewald's work. She tackles life's hard issues and let God's love shine through.
I highly recommend this book to any person struggling with the question "Who am I"

*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for my honest review*
Christina
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the instant I opened this book I was captivated by Sarah. I'm sure most women have moments in their life when they feel judged, like they are less than they should be, or that they don't fit somehow. Her struggles to find identity and love were balanced with the patience and honor of Jesse. A fantastic story that I feel fortunate to have read, and one that I keep thinking about long after I turned the last page. It's earned a place at the top of my list for the year.
Andrea Boyd
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Rodewald's writing is deep and it's real and thought provoking and I love it.
There was only one part I could have done without. The cussing. (may not be proper, but it's how we say it in the South) If you are like me on this subject, my suggestion is to skip over the words in this case. This book is too good to pass over because of it.
Stephanie Vickers
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a new to me author and now I am on my third book by Jennifer Rodewald! I was immediately smitten with the characters in this book! Sarah's story definitely touched my heart and I believe every girl dreams of a guy like Jesse! This book was a fabulous read! I am hooked on Ms. Rodewald's books!!
Mel
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had a bit of a slow start for me but I ended up barely able to put it down. there is a lot of self talk from both of the main characters that seemed a bit much. Strong religious content. I think most people can identify with Sarah,the main character. GREAT book!
Trish Cooper
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good

Loved the storyline, however gave it 3 stars because in my opinion I didn't feel some of the language and content was appropriate for Christian fiction.
Nancy Fabik
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The content kept me involved. I believe it had a good message. That a life wrapped together with Jesus is where we will find our true identity and purpose!!
Oluwatosin
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book focusing on one's identity and finding that identity in the unchanging, steadfast, unconditional love of God.

Sarah is a girl who was raised by her father, and following in her father's footsteps she has taken an interest in construction. Not many frills or fashion is required in her line of work, not that she has had much of an interest but after hearing harsh words about the way she is perceived she falls into an identity crisis of sorts.

Jesse is a guy who seems sure of himself,
Crystal
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
About the Book:
After she overhears some careless remarks spoken of her by two women in a fast food joint, Sarah Sharpe’s self-confidence and self-worth is shattered sending her on a soul searching quest to find value and purpose. She seeks to satisfy her hurt and find herself by adorning her outward appearance with a new wardrobe and makeup, seeking the attention of men, and pouring herself into volunteer work. It is during her first trek as a volunteer for an organization that renovates and bui
Teresa Williams
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was randomly given this and 4 other books to judge for an IDA contest. I felt that there was some guidance from above in me getting this book! This is by far one of the best fiction books I've ever read. I love reading books where I also learn something, be it history, geography, whatever. This was not only a wonderful love story, with amazing characters, but I had to keep stopping and screenshotting pages because I felt inspired by the way something was said, and I've been an active Christian ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 21, 2016 12:14PM

• The Return of Cassandra Todd
  • A Healing Heart (Quilts of Love, #6)
  • Finders Keepers (Carrington Family #1)
  • Together with You
  • A Twist of Faith (Mitchell's Crossroads, #1)
  • The Promise of Rayne
  • Heart Unbroken
  • Homestands (Chicago Wind #1)
  • The Broken Trail (Sweet River Redemption, #1)
  • More Than a Promise
  • A Fragile Hope
  • Shattered Image (Chain of Lakes #1)
  • Covering Home
  • A Wedding Transpires on Mackinac Island
  • Always with You
  • Third Strand of the Cord: A Novel of Love in Liberty
  • Give the Lady a Ride (Circle Bar Ranch #1)
  • Somebody Like You
Jennifer Rodewald is passionate about the Word of God and the powerful vehicle of story. Four kids and her own personal superman make her home in southwestern Nebraska delightfully chaotic.

Born in Colorado, she experienced both the seclusion of rugged mountain living and the busy streets of a Denver suburb during her growing up years. Somewhere in the middle of college, she married a Husker and fo