Start by marking “A Rake Reformed (Gentlemen of Worth, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Rake Reformed (Gentlemen of Worth, #6)

A Rake Reformed

(Gentlemen of Worth #6)

Frederick Worth, the Earl of Brent, is out of luck. He’s gambled away a considerable fortune, and London’s creditors are in pursuit. Rather than return to Faraday Hall and risk his father’s displeasure, he flees to his property in the remote north. Only Penshaw Manor isn’t quite the safe, comfortable haven he expects.

Freddie is horrified to discover that not only is the pr
Published September 6th 2016 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Rake Reformed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rake Reformed

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was a sweet regency.

Freddie is the Earl of Brent and has spent quite a bit of time in the gaming halls loosing lots and lots of money. When he reaches rock bottom and needs to flee London he heads North to Penshaw Manor to hid from his creditors and his father, the Duke.

On the run with his best friend Trevor, the two end up in a carriage accident where Trevor is injured. Keeping their true identities secret, they are taken in by a local family with two beautiful daughters, Clare and Rosal
Creative Caprice
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
Unfortunately this book did not live up to the promise or potential of its premise. The actual plot development and execution were both lacking.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it was badly written, it wasn't written well either. The first two thirds of the book are somewhat repetitive and drawn out with a tendency to repeat more or less the same scenes with minor differences. By the time the book picks up pace and becomes more original in the final chapters I just didn't care much what happ
Alison
Sorry, not for me, DNF at 35%.

I tried reading this book on more than one occasion but finally decided I didn't like it. The authorial voice felt stilted and I got the impression that the author had thrown in some historical words and phrases to make it sound authentic without weaving it into the narrative properly.

I didn't warm to any of the characters, there was too much telling and not enough showing.

I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest
Donna
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-romance
Bravo!

Another Shirley Marks success! I love a good rags to riches love story. It was fun to see individual growth, compassion and forgiveness. Trials often seem insurmountable until you begin the journey and often you discover much to be grateful for along the way.
Petula
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Frederick Worth, Earl of Brent is escaping from his gambling debts by running away to an estate even he had forgotten he owned. Dragging his best friend Trevor with him on a rickety gig from London to Cumberland. A perilous journey to take in the winter.
Our hero is not a bad guy, just very irresponsible.
Miss Rosalind Harris and her sister have been doing their best to look after the tenants of the estate, but with no money to spare and an absentee landlord, things are dire. Two extra guests fo
Susan
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Although we are not given the details of the useless and profligate life that the Earl of Brent has lead so far, we are informed that he has gambled all his money away and is greatly in debt. So in December 1817 this leads to the decision to flee London with his best friend Trevor to Penshaw Manor, an estate he owns. This is where his reformation begins when he meets his tenants, and the family of the steward.
I enjoyed this story, and liked the characters, and the style of writing and so shall l
Isha Coleman
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Ms. Marks is a new author to me. A Rake Reformed started off on the wrong foot. There was plenty of promise but the story took longer than I expected in gaining it's sea legs. I'meant a fast reader and like my stories to be as fast pasted as I am. My lukewarm opinion started to go full throttle when Fredrick went from careless young boy to a responsible young man. His metamorphic was complete as he opened his heart to love and opened his mind to learning the benefit of maturity. A Rake Reformed ...more
Critterbee❇
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, regency, romance, f
Regency with misunderstandings, hidden identities, and the redemption of a 'rake' who is not really very rakish.

Not too objectionable, just not very taking, if you know what I mean. The characters were not really likable, and acted erratically. Scenes were contrived and seemed unnatural. I lost interest in the story early on, but it did not make me angry, just indifferent.

Also, I am not a fan of the 'sustained lying about who you are' trope in romance, so perhaps this was a doomed book-reader r
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Really enjoyed this one. Review to come.
Denise
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Frederick Worth, the Earl of Brent, gambled his way into debt. He and his friend Trevor take off in the middle of the night heading for the estate his father had bought for him so that he could have hands on training in the ways of running the estate.

It's late December and snow has been falling. After ten days of horrible travel, there is an accident. Trevor is hurt badly and Freddie has to get him to shelter. They come across a dilapidated manor house and
Melinda M
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Rake Reformed by Shirley Marks is book six of the series A Gentleman of Worth. It is a regency romance with a lot of a. It is well written and keeps your attention but is slow to begin with. A very enjoyable read.

I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
Diane creech
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretense and Problems

A very good Regency romantic novel without having to go into love scenes other than a little kissing under the mistletoe. It is about a young Earl and his friend fleeing town because of his debts. Their destination is a property that he owns and has never visited only to find it in horrible shape. The entire village is in the same disrepair. The Earl does not reveal his identity..
They meet two sisters. Everyone detests the Earl---- not knowing he is right there. A very enjoy
Tracey
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won
I absolutely loved this book. There are lessons to learn and love to be found, I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the characters in this historical romance. It shows that even people who are thought to be above approach can fall just like the rest of us. This is a fairly quick read because it keeps your attention and you just can't wait to see what happens next. Thank you.
Meagan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
It's very hard to like the characters

When reading historical romances, I usually don't have high expectations. I just want to read something with a decent plot, likable characters with chemistry, and a happy ending. I don't even really care about historical accuracies if the writing is good.

The main problem with this book was that the characters were not likable. The main male character, Freddie, is described in the first chapter as running away from his gambling debts and not caring about any
Connie Fischer
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
London - 1817

Frederick (Freddie) Worth, Earl of Brent, and his friend, Trevor Rutherford, the younger son of a Viscount, are hurriedly fleeing town in a phaeton that Freddie had won from Sir Nicholas Petersham. They are heading to Penshaw Manor in Cumberland which was given by his father to Freddie to manage. But he has totally ignored it. It appears that Freddie has gambled away nearly 20,000 pounds which is going to infuriate his father.

After traveling in the snow for over a week, their phaeto
Anna Swedenmom
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Rake Reformed
By Shirley Marks
BUY BUY
Well , I admit to waiting to write this review for a reason. I wanted to think it through. In this day and time it seems like so many books are about sex sex sex. Not just passion or romance. So lets get to the review.

I was surprised in this book. I like and enjoyed the writing. I was given a few stop moments when I realized it was a true to life book. Meaning this could of happened and probably did happen many times in that age. It is not a transport me to
Celeste
This is the first book in this series that I have personally read and as far as I’m concerned it’s not necessary to read this series in order to better your understanding.
Frederick Worth, the Earl of Brent, and the Rake of this story has managed to gamble away everything he owns, except for a single holding far away that he’ll admit was only saved because he forgot about it.
Miss Rosalind Harris and her sister help take care of the less fortunate that live under the auspices of Penshaw Manor sin
Pamela N.
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Marks is a good storyteller and creates a gentle sense of the era 200 years ago in England, yet creates a sensation of familiarity as well. The research Ms. Marks has incorporated into the story is a delight, and adds to the atmosphere. I wasn't riveted during my reading, but this is exactly what I want when I read in the evening. I save horror and crime for the daytime. This also has a higher level of vocabulary and good grammar. I find that comforting in this era. I found myself wonder ...more
Amary Chapman
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
A rogue...and a rake, Frederick Worth was on the run from his creditors with his best friend Trevor. He foolishly has gambled away more than the allowance his father had given him to restore the estate he had bought for him.
He arrived at said estate to hide from his creditors until he could figure out a way to repay them....only to find it in utter ruin.
Rosalind Harris, a neighbor was trying desperately to help his tenants survive the winter, cursing the missing earl daily for his neglect.
Th
Alice
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly Coming of Age

Lovely addition to the Gentlemen of Worth Series. Freddie the Earl of Brent is in serious trouble. He's lost most of his funds gambling and needs to leave London fast to avoid his creditors. Dragging his best friend Trevor with him, he decides to go to his only remaining asset, Penshaw Manor up near the Scottish boarder. Seeing as it's snowing, the idea of going further north is not the best. In fact most of Freddie's ideas are not well thought out. He's in for a very big surp
Charline Bonham
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frederick Worth, the Earl of Brent, has gambled away all his money and has to flee London. He flees to his property in the remote north. Only Penshaw Manor isn’t quite the safe, comfortable haven he expects. It's so run down it has very few rooms that are habitable. He soon learns that everyone is displeased with the Earl of Bent. Now he has to find a way of making amends before anyone discovers who he is.
Miriam
Sweet but a bit dull

I received this as a Goodreads giveaway. I found it rather slow-going, but that may be partly because it's an e-book, and I prefer physical paper books. Rather predictable, and some aspects of the writing style were a bit annoying. However, I appreciate that this author is writing "romance" and not a sex manual as some other authors seem to feel is necessary.
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This book had an intriguing premise, but I was completely distracted by the overwhelming use of what I can only guess was Regency slang. Freddie didn't have many redeeming qualities- he seemed rather like an idiot. The writing didn't flow or hold my interest with the characters.

(I received a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway)
Alan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was pleased when I won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway, and decided to pack it in my suitcase to take with me on vacation. I shall be leaving this book at the hotel now I have finished reading, as others may enjoy more than I. Sorry, but it wasn't amongst the best that I have read in this genre.

Nancy Luebke
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads
I really enjoyed this historical romance. I received this book through Goodreads for free in return for my honest review. I've given it a 5* rating. This book has a lot going on. I thought it was funny the way the men acted when they met the one. It touched on the forgiveness of others in a way that was very understandable. It left me with a very satisfied feeling in the end.
Sharon
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming tale of self-discovery, blossoming love and redemption for the holidays. The characters are well sketched and likable and their dilemmas well thought out. Not the same old holiday tale, a step above.
Regina
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Shirley Marks delivers another sweet romance in the Gentlemen of Worth series. Her romances are way too tame, but I'm always drawn to her style, plot twists, and appealing characters.
KarnagesMistress
Sep 22, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is a Kindle book.
Sol Santamarina
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Kathleen Gray
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet romance, nothing special, but it's a quick read and one which would be good for an evening of relaxation. Freddy's personal growth is nice. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

• The Highlander’s Awakening (Lairds of Dunkeld #6)
  • The Wrong Highland Bridegroom (Campbell Sisters, #2)
  • Second-Chance Bride (Dakota Brides #3)
  • The Ruse (Andrews Brothers, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Impossible Task (The Fairbanks - Love & Hearts) (The Regency Romance Story)
  • The Sweetest Sin (Sins & Scandals,  #7)
  • Mail Order Sisters (Colorado Brides #1-2)
  • Earl of Sunderland (Wicked Earls' Club, #4)
  • Highlander’s Unexpected Love
  • Sinful Secrets (Cynfell Brothers Book 7)
  • The Irish Bride (Central City Brides Book 3)
  • Lord of Night (Rogues to Riches Book 3)
  • The Bride Next Door (Texas Grooms, #2)
  • A Dashing Duke for Emily
  • The Teacher's Bride: Mail Order Bride (Boulder Brides Book 1)
  • His Wicked Lady (Marriage by Arrangement #1)

Gentlemen of Worth (6 books)
  • The Suitor List (Gentlemen Of Worth, #1)
  • Perfectly Flawed (Gentlemen of Worth, #2)
  • A Grand Deception (Gentlemen of Worth, #3)
  • The Duke Dilemma (Gentlemen of Worth, #4)
  • An Elaborate Hoax (Gentlemen of Worth, #5)