Start by marking “What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)” as Want to Read:
What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)

What's a Girl Gotta Do?

(The Spinster Club #3)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  2,805 Ratings  ·  441 Reviews
HOW TO START A FEMINIST REVOLUTION:

1. Call out anything that is unfair on one gender

2. Don't call out the same thing twice (so you can sleep and breathe)

3. Always try to keep it funny

4. Don't let anything slide. Even when you start to break...

Lottie's determined to change the world with her #Vagilante vlog. Shame the trolls have other ideas...
Published August 1st 2016 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What's a Girl Gotta Do?, please sign up.
Amelia There are some bits of romance throughout although the main concept is standing up to sexism.

Aditi
“When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.”

----Bette Davis

Holly Bourne, an English bestselling author, pens an incredibly funny, enlightening yet powerful young adult novel, What's a Girl Gotta Do? which is the third book in the The Spinster Clubseries. This series welcomes Lottie, the teenage feminist heroine, who has started a spinster club with her best friends, is now eyeing for Cambridge admission while making a name for her video blog where
Warda
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I wanted to be the sort of person who could face themselves in the mirror.”

[4.5] This book was gold. Holly Bourne is a gift to the YA book community. As an author in general. Tackling issues and creating discussions on topics such as, feminism, gender inequality and societal norms, that need to be spoken more often about in books. And she does it so well.

I loved Lottie as a main protagonist. As frustrating as she was at times, I absolutely love that she didn't back down from anything that woul
Maddie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
Lottie has always been the most vocal about her feminist views and that really comes across in What's A Girl Gotta Do? Calling out sexism isn't an easy undertaking, but it was so eye opening! If the other books dealt with feminism in addition to something else, this deals with it 100% head on, and it's such a fantastic read! I literally cannot wait until the novella comes out in November!
K.
HOLY HELL, THIS WAS AMAZING.

I've loved all three of the books in this trilogy, but this one is easily my favourite.

Reasons why I loved this book:
- So. Much. Amazing. Feminism.
- Seriously. So incredibly feminist.
- Wonderful friendships
- Adorable relationships
- Great representation of mental health issues
- It deals with difficult topics respectfully

Lottie is such an amazingly fierce character. I loved her activism, her determination, and the way that she keeps going even when she feels like ever
Emer
I'm torn.

I love the feminism angle. It's bloody great. But good god do Holly Bourne's books seem to bleed into one another after a period of time. She has a particular style of writing that is very accessible but ultimately gets tedious. In each of her books her plots seem to follow a similar pattern and nothing feels fresh anymore. She's incapable of writing well rounded supporting characters: the identikit boys and families all pulled from some book of stereotypical minor characters somewhere
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What's a Girl Gotta Do? is a brilliantly empowering, witty read, filled with a cast of badass women, kickass friendships, adorable romances and infuriating stories that make you want to shout at the world.

Ever since I picked up Am I Normal Yet? I've fallen in love with Holly Bourne's comfortable, funny and emotive writing style and even more so with the cast of the Spinster Trilogy. I don't want to say goodbye to these characters but this was the perfect way to do so. I throughly enjoyed each a
Sara
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS TRILOGY. (WO)MAN. I CANNOT. IT IS TOO GOOD.

I came away from this book loving Lottie more than I ever thought possible.

I want to thrust this entire trilogy into the hands of every teenage girl in the country. NAY, THE WORLD.
Claire
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
(2.5 stars)
*sighs* Same old issues with the same old series. Reading the acknowledgements at the end - 'I wasn't able to touch properly on feminism and how it relates to race or disability or sexuality, or gender identity or class'... and I just can't help but think why not? Why if the author is so passionate about these issues and systematic inequalities did we end up with 3 white straight protagonists exploring how to navigate heterosexual relationships with sometimes even pretty ??? men? (Can
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya
While this was definitely my favourite of the series, I'm a little disappointed in the trilogy as a whole. Evie, Amber and Lottie are all straight (confirmed) white (assumed (I'm more sure that Evie and Amber are white but Lottie could be POC, but it's up to the author to say in the text and she didn't so...)) girls and their experiences with feminism are practically the same.

I really wished there had been more of a discussion on feminism linked with race and sexuality and gender identity, but
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
4.5
this book was wonderful, such amazing feminism and friendships in this book, I love Evie, Amber and Lottie and I'm sad that I've come to the end of their story (I do still have a short story to read) but I wish I could read more about them

This wasn't my favourite out of the trilogy, I can't put my finger quite on why, I still loved it, but the other two just beat this one.

Holly Bourne writes such honest and real books and I just hope she continues tackling important issues like the ones in
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

RATED 4.5/5 STARS!

I just… ugh . So many emotions.

I felt like sludge by the end of this book. In the best possible way.

Let me explain:

Holly Bourne has this wonderful way of making Lottie, Amber and Evie seem like real people. People you can – and are – friends with. So reading this book…well, I felt like I was going through all this with our dear Lottie. Which meant one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.

So when I read the second half of this b
Sanne
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I devoured this book. Honestly, I applaud to Holly Bourne to be so direct, unashamed and unapologetic speaking up about feminism in her novels. While the other two books had strong feminist themes, this one is so straight about feminism, that the whole plot is about a girl standing up and starting a feminism campaign because she's tired about the sexist bullshit all the girls have to put up with on a daily basis.
Although this book is fictional it deals with a lot of real shit going on in real li
Lily
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.
I am so sad this series as come to an end! This was probably my favourite in terms of themes and feminism but I still related to HHCLB? a little more. Lottie was a fantastic character who was extremely flawed but meant well and did a lot of awesome things. I'm really glad there is an MC in the UKYA community who embraces her intelligence and is unapologetic about her sex life etc. I also thought the way the romance was handled was done SUPER well, so much tension and I really liked Will as
Ruzaika
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received a physical copy from Usborne Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Another version of this review can be found here

"I want to be the sort of person who could face themselves in the mirror."

I couldn’t believe my luck when I received What’s a Girl Gotta Do? for review from the publishers- if you’ve read the synopsis (given below) you’ll know why. A YA contemporary that exclusively deals with feminism? When did we last come across anything even remotely talking about feminism? I ce
Morgane Moncomble
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite of the series, probably. Lottie is such a mood.
Honestly, I just love this book so SO much. I loved everything about it, and I'm glad that Holly Bourne managed to correct this "white feminism" vibe that book 1 'Am I Normal Yet?' got.
Trish at Between My Lines
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, ya
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

If there is one YA series that I would push everyone to read, it’s The Spinster Club.  I'd shove over your towering to-be-read and insist you devour this series next.  And then I'd apologise meekly for the mess I made! What’s A Girl Gotta Do by Holly Bourne is book 3 in the Spinster Club series (nb - read in order!).  Just like the previous books; the words that spring to mind are snarky, hilarious and empowering.

First Line of What’s A Girl G
Odette Knappers
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Er zou een feature moeten zijn op Goodreads dat je eens in de zoveel tijd/boeken een boek 6 sterren mag geven. En dan nog krijgt dit boek er te weinig.

Deze serie is geweldig want het maakt je bewust van seksisme, het leert je over feminisme, het laat zien hoe moeilijk het is om niet met twee maten te meten, het laat zien dat iedereen een masker heeft waar hij zich achter verschuilt, het gaat over vriendschap, en het is grappig.

Ja, boekperfectie. En dus ook echt voor lezers van Allesbehalve oké.
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, 2016-read, series
5 Words: feminism, attraction, friendship, adversity, futures.

Review to come.
Amy
Holly Bourne has done it again with the final book in this trilogy. I love Lottie and the focus on feminism. Although that cliffhanger...
Does she get into Cambridge?
Zainab Ishaq
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Usborne for sending me a review copy.

Holly Bourne how do you do this ? Like how ?
The first two books in the series were so good. But I loved Lottie from the start because she always wanted to change everything, and this book was no doubt such an amazing read.

This book is a complete package of fun and teenage drama. From laughing out loud to I cried too reading the book. But at every point this book made me strong.

Characters of the book are so well described, the lead female character L
Jessica
I wanted to cry when this arrived in the post. I love Holly Bourne's Spinster series so much and when I read the synopsis of this I knew that I would 100% WITHOUT A DOUBT LOVE IT MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE POSSIBLY EVER. And I totally did. Totally. What's A Girl Gotta Do? is feminist af but it sure ain't an easy read. I loved how Holly drew attention to cognitive dissonance in feminism and how she explored the difficulties Lottie had with accepting what she was going through. Also the love interest ...more
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
3.5

I've quite enjoyed this series. Some good UKYA with some serious feminist discussion.
Abbie
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Evie, Amber and Lottie. Holly Bourne is a blessing.
Faylogic
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, owned
4.5
Jane
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
My favorite book in what has become a new favorite trilogy.
Atlas
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
* * * *
4 / 5

~mini review~

The final book in The Spinster Club trilogy focuses on the last of three friends: loud, abrasive, feminist Lottie. She dreams of being Prime Minister and her parents are pushing her hard to get into Cambridge (I remember the pressure very well! It is not fun) - but Lottie has other projects in mind. She's walking to school one day when two men get out of a van and harass her; this unpleasant encounter inspires her month long feminist project - the Vaginilogue - in which
Alessandra Crivelli
**you can read the entire review on the BLOG**

After being harassed by two men near to a van while she was going to college, Lottie starts thinking a way to fight with all the sexism that she sees and deals with everyday so she decides to create the project ‘VAGILANTE’ with the help of her friends Evie and Amber in order to call out every act of sexism and inequality that she sees every single day and she captures them on camera with the help of Will, Evie’s friend of the filmmaking course.

I’ve
Ross
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Right. Okay. Right...
First of all, I devoured this book because I absolutely adore Holly and her style of writing and everything this book was about.
However, saying that, I do believe I should have given this book 3 or 3.5 stars (but I felt like it would be a massive betrayal to Holly, who has become one of my most admired authors)
It's just the fact that this book series had SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. And, unfortunately, it just didn't live up to what it could've been.
I mean, Jesus Christ, could a b
Meg Grehan
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
the feminism isn't as intersectional as it could be but it's a fun read and a good jumping off point for new young feminists
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Air (Blue, #2)
  • Drop
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • The Baby
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Nightwanderers
  • Remix
  • Party Girl (Secrets at St Jude's, #6)
  • The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet
  • Me and Mr J
  • Salvage
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • Deep Water
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni

The Spinster Club (3 books)
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
“When you fight for what you believe in, you come across a lot of obstacles. People who don't agree with you, people who agree with you but only some bits, people who delight in ripping you down, people who are threatened by the strength of your belief.

But I was beginning to realise, the biggest hurdle to overcome was the hurdle of yourself.”
11 likes
“I want to change things on my own terms, to show that there's no right or wrong way to change the world. There's no entry test. You don't need to suck anything up. Pay any dues. Just you and your anger and your voice is enough. If you only have the courage to use it.” 6 likes