Start by marking “What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)” as Want to Read:
What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)

What's a Girl Gotta Do?

(The Spinster Club #3)

HOW TO START A FEMINIST REVOLUTION:

1. Call out anything that is unfair on one gender

2. Don't call out the same thing twice (so you can sleep and breathe)

3. Always try to keep it funny

4. Don't let anything slide. Even when you start to break...

Lottie's determined to change the world with her #Vagilante vlog. Shame the trolls have other ideas...
Published August 1st 2016 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What's a Girl Gotta Do?, please sign up.
Amelia There are some bits of romance throughout although the main concept is standing up to sexism.

Start your review of What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
April (Aprilius Maximus)

--------------------------------------------------

INCREDIBLE.
Warda
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I wanted to be the sort of person who could face themselves in the mirror.”

[4.5] This book was gold. Holly Bourne is a gift to the YA book community. As an author in general. Tackling issues and creating discussions on topics such as, feminism, gender inequality and societal norms, that need to be spoken more often about in books. And she does it so well.

I loved Lottie as a main protagonist. As frustrating as she was at times, I absolutely love that she didn't back down from anything that woul
Aditi
“When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.”

----Bette Davis

Holly Bourne, an English bestselling author, pens an incredibly funny, enlightening yet powerful young adult novel, What's a Girl Gotta Do? which is the third book in the The Spinster Clubseries. This series welcomes Lottie, the teenage feminist heroine, who has started a spinster club with her best friends, is now eyeing for Cambridge admission while making a name for her video blog where
K.
Trigger warnings: sexual harassment, implications of sexual assault, slut shaming, misogyny, alcohol abuse.

11/2/2019
On reread, I'm bumping this down to 4.5 stars purely because there are times when Lottie's head isn't the most pleasant place to be. I love her to bits, but she can be very...forceful?...at times and it's sort of exhausting. But other than that, I stand by everything I said two years ago.

8/1/2017
HOLY HELL, THIS WAS AMAZING.

I've loved all three of the books in this trilogy, but t
Maddie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
Lottie has always been the most vocal about her feminist views and that really comes across in What's A Girl Gotta Do? Calling out sexism isn't an easy undertaking, but it was so eye opening! If the other books dealt with feminism in addition to something else, this deals with it 100% head on, and it's such a fantastic read! I literally cannot wait until the novella comes out in November!
Claire
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
(2.5 stars)
*sighs* Same old issues with the same old series. Reading the acknowledgements at the end - 'I wasn't able to touch properly on feminism and how it relates to race or disability or sexuality, or gender identity or class'... and I just can't help but think why not? Why if the author is so passionate about these issues and systematic inequalities did we end up with 3 white straight protagonists exploring how to navigate heterosexual relationships with sometimes even pretty ??? men? (Can
Emer (A Little Haze)
I'm torn.

I love the feminism angle. It's bloody great. But good god do Holly Bourne's books seem to bleed into one another after a period of time. She has a particular style of writing that is very accessible but ultimately gets tedious. In each of her books her plots seem to follow a similar pattern and nothing feels fresh anymore. She's incapable of writing well rounded supporting characters: the identikit boys and families all pulled from some book of stereotypical minor characters somewhere
Sara
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS TRILOGY. (WO)MAN. I CANNOT. IT IS TOO GOOD.

I came away from this book loving Lottie more than I ever thought possible.

I want to thrust this entire trilogy into the hands of every teenage girl in the country. NAY, THE WORLD.
Kate (GirlReading)
What's a Girl Gotta Do? is a brilliantly empowering, witty read, filled with a cast of badass women, kickass friendships, adorable romances and infuriating stories that make you want to shout at the world.

Ever since I picked up Am I Normal Yet? I've fallen in love with Holly Bourne's comfortable, funny and emotive writing style and even more so with the cast of the Spinster Trilogy. I don't want to say goodbye to these characters but this was the perfect way to do so. I throughly enjoyed each a
Sanne (papierplanet)
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book. Honestly, I applaud to Holly Bourne to be so direct, unashamed and unapologetic speaking up about feminism in her novels. While the other two books had strong feminist themes, this one is so straight about feminism, that the whole plot is about a girl standing up and starting a feminism campaign because she's tired about the sexist bullshit all the girls have to put up with on a daily basis.
Although this book is fictional it deals with a lot of real shit going on in real li
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
4.5
this book was wonderful, such amazing feminism and friendships in this book, I love Evie, Amber and Lottie and I'm sad that I've come to the end of their story (I do still have a short story to read) but I wish I could read more about them

This wasn't my favourite out of the trilogy, I can't put my finger quite on why, I still loved it, but the other two just beat this one.

Holly Bourne writes such honest and real books and I just hope she continues tackling important issues like the ones in
Clara
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book with everything I have.
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

RATED 4.5/5 STARS!

I just… ugh . So many emotions.

I felt like sludge by the end of this book. In the best possible way.

Let me explain:

Holly Bourne has this wonderful way of making Lottie, Amber and Evie seem like real people. People you can – and are – friends with. So reading this book…well, I felt like I was going through all this with our dear Lottie. Which meant one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.

So when I read the second half of t
Lily
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.
I am so sad this series as come to an end! This was probably my favourite in terms of themes and feminism but I still related to HHCLB? a little more. Lottie was a fantastic character who was extremely flawed but meant well and did a lot of awesome things. I'm really glad there is an MC in the UKYA community who embraces her intelligence and is unapologetic about her sex life etc. I also thought the way the romance was handled was done SUPER well, so much tension and I really liked Will as
Ruzaika
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received a physical copy from Usborne Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Another version of this review can be found here

"I want to be the sort of person who could face themselves in the mirror."

I couldn’t believe my luck when I received What’s a Girl Gotta Do? for review from the publishers- if you’ve read the synopsis (given below) you’ll know why. A YA contemporary that exclusively deals with feminism? When did we last come across anything even remotely talking about feminism? I ce
Rhi
I feel like I’ve timetravelled backwards 20 years reading this. I'm now a 16 year old just stumbling into the revelation of damaging female images on magazines and growing my baby fury at the repercussions of that on a generation of women. Except- it’s not 20 years ago and now we have things called websites and social media and ‘influencers’ and reality tv and the only way SOME of these things were touched on in the context of this book was for Lottie to be called a slut and threatened AFTER she ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, library
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

If there is one YA series that I would push everyone to read, it’s The Spinster Club.  I'd shove over your towering to-be-read and insist you devour this series next.  And then I'd apologise meekly for the mess I made! What’s A Girl Gotta Do by Holly Bourne is book 3 in the Spinster Club series (nb - read in order!).  Just like the previous books; the words that spring to mind are snarky, hilarious and empowering.

First Line of What’s A Gir
Amy
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed-series
Holly Bourne has done it again with the final book in this trilogy. I love Lottie and the focus on feminism. Although that cliffhanger...
Does she get into Cambridge?
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
5 Words: feminism, attraction, friendship, adversity, futures.

Review to come.
Nicole
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I loved this one so much!

This was such a well written, laugh out loud YA contemporary with such an important message.

What I loved about this book, was how the main focus is feminism but it's not shoved down your throat. The book discusses the subject matter in a funny and light hearted way but still showing the reality of what it's like to be a woman in modern day society.

Yes this book was cliche and predictable at times but it's a YA contemporary, I wasn't expecting it to not be.

I wasn'
Zainab Ishaq
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Usborne for sending me a review copy.

Holly Bourne how do you do this ? Like how ?
The first two books in the series were so good. But I loved Lottie from the start because she always wanted to change everything, and this book was no doubt such an amazing read.

This book is a complete package of fun and teenage drama. From laughing out loud to I cried too reading the book. But at every point this book made me strong.

Characters of the book are so well described, the lead female character L
Jessica
I wanted to cry when this arrived in the post. I love Holly Bourne's Spinster series so much and when I read the synopsis of this I knew that I would 100% WITHOUT A DOUBT LOVE IT MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE POSSIBLY EVER. And I totally did. Totally. What's A Girl Gotta Do? is feminist af but it sure ain't an easy read. I loved how Holly drew attention to cognitive dissonance in feminism and how she explored the difficulties Lottie had with accepting what she was going through. Also the love interest ...more
Darce
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What's a Girl Gotta Do? is the hilarious story of a girl and her fight for feminism with her friends at her sides. Lottie faces abuse, laughter, hate and threats from many different people, but being the wonderful, brave main character she is, she always manages to keep going. However, Lottie shows all her flaws as a human being as she faces these troubles and keeps us laughing and crying along with her in this stunning book about standing up for equality and what you believe in.

(There's also s
Abbie
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Evie, Amber and Lottie. Holly Bourne is a blessing.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
My favorite book in what has become a new favorite trilogy.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
3.5

I've quite enjoyed this series. Some good UKYA with some serious feminist discussion.
Atlas
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
* * * *
4 / 5

~mini review~

The final book in The Spinster Club trilogy focuses on the last of three friends: loud, abrasive, feminist Lottie. She dreams of being Prime Minister and her parents are pushing her hard to get into Cambridge (I remember the pressure very well! It is not fun) - but Lottie has other projects in mind. She's walking to school one day when two men get out of a van and harass her; this unpleasant encounter inspires her month long feminist project - the Vaginilogue - in which
Molly  Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
This was such a good book. It highlighted so many issues like feminism, oppression and also stuff that's not so loud but just as important like the fact that Lottie is only 17 but she has her dreams and she dares to pursue them but people tell her she's too young.
Anyways, would highly recommend this series to anyone!!
Giulia
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
"I was Lottie, I was no one really. All I had was my voice, my anger, and the determination to voice my anger in the best way I knew how."

I honestly didn't enjoy this book as much as I liked the first two, and that bothers me.

Lottie's goal is to fight and call out, for a whole month, all the sexism that she encounters and that is for starter incredibly difficult, but also just simply impossible.
It deals with such an important topic, and it rises awareness, and it's by acting like Lottie that so
Alessandra Crivelli
**you can read the entire review on the BLOG**

After being harassed by two men near to a van while she was going to college, Lottie starts thinking a way to fight with all the sexism that she sees and deals with everyday so she decides to create the project ‘VAGILANTE’ with the help of her friends Evie and Amber in order to call out every act of sexism and inequality that she sees every single day and she captures them on camera with the help of Will, Evie’s friend of the filmmaking course.

I’ve

• Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
  • The Pieces of Ourselves
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Itke minulle taivas
  • Sirpale
  • Whiteout (RedEye)
  • The New Boy
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Sammuta valot! : pieniä kauheita tarinoita / Sytytä valot! : pieniä kauniita tarinoita
  • Merikki
  • Floored
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Aistienvartija (Väki, #2)
  • Muistojenlukija (Väki, #1)
  • Girlhood
  • Ainoa taivas
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni

The Spinster Club (3 books)
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)

News & Interviews

“When you fight for what you believe in, you come across a lot of obstacles. People who don't agree with you, people who agree with you but only some bits, people who delight in ripping you down, people who are threatened by the strength of your belief.

But I was beginning to realise, the biggest hurdle to overcome was the hurdle of yourself.”
21 likes
“Maybe all you needed in life was the belief you could change things. Somehow. Some way.” 12 likes