Start by marking “Jack (Jaded Gentlemen, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jack (Jaded Gentlemen, #4)

Jack

(Jaded Gentlemen #4)

Sir John Dewey Fanning (Jack to his familiars) is magistrate in a corner of Oxfordshire plagued by one incident of petty mischief after another. To add to his aggravation, his matchmaking mama is due for a prolonged visit, just when his domestic staff is at sixes and sevens.

Jack turns to Miss Madeline Hennessey both to organize his household and to serve as his mother's t
Published June 14th 2016 by Grace Burrowes Publishing (first published June 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack

Start your review of Jack (Jaded Gentlemen, #4)
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Read this when it came out (as I am wont to do with a Burrowes). It's a bit Burrowes by numbers but was the definition of a comfort read and I enjoyed it. I don't remember too much about it. I thought the sex was good and I liked the heroine very much. Although, the reasons the H/h were apart when they so obviously belonged together were thin.
Lady Wesley
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I always enjoy Grace Burrowes' books; they're my calorie-free comfort food. There's nothing especially notable about Jack, but the romance is sweet, and the mystery is mildly intriguing. I have no firm idea of how people spoke two hundred years ago, but I love her idiosyncratic dialogue.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Bachelor Sir Jack - not a rake, and a fine gentleman, is dreading the impending visit of his mother - a woman he can never please. She’s going to be staying with him for a few months after the holidays and he’s at wit’s end. His household staff isn’t gelling, and he’s worried what will happen. He seeks advice from his friends, the Belmonts, who instead give him a solution. They offer their own Miss Madeline Hennessey to be his mother’s companion and help straighten out affairs.

Madeline doesn’t
Kat
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm always sad when a Grace Burrowes book is done.....I want them to continue endlessly! I love how all the books are somehow connected. We first met Sir Jack and Made in Axel and Abigail's book. There was more to Madeline than was first apparent. Jack was a battle scarred veteran who dealt with PTSD. Theirs was such a wonderful romance. They so deserved a HEA. The supporting characters were great. We had Charles II the ram (hysterical!), Aunts Theo and Hattie, Pahdi, brother Jeremy, Mrs. Fannin ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I am obviously obsessed with Grace Burrowes books, if you had not noticed. But they are just so sweet and the couples talk, oh how they talk! I feel them fall in love.

Jack is the new magistrate. We met him in the previous book and was a set bachelor (to his mother's dismay). He is kind, considerate, a true gentleman, and one who had a rough time in India.

Madeleine was a servant turned ladies companion. She kept the household in check and I liked how she spoke her mind. In
Diane
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Grace Burrowes has done it again! Her Lonely Lords Series provided a great set of stories about men of the peerage but with this new series The Jaded Gentlemen she has excelled at providing a group of respectable and well-respected men. These aren’t rakes or scoundrels. These men are older, some widowed with children, who are respected in their community. They aren’t the men who need or want to consider marriage. They are the ones who attend assemblies just to make sure that no wallflower goes w ...more
DemetraP
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Boring and sad. The heroine has 2 poor aunts who don't have enough to eat or enough coal to heat their cottages.

At one point, the hero is scrubbing a corner in the heroine's aunt's cottage where the dogs peed. And the heroine points out the smell will be on the walls too. So without a word, the hero scrubs the walls too.

Just was a depressing book. And everyone accusing the Hindu butler from India of theft got old.

I wouldn't even call this a romance, the hero and heroine's interacti
Heather
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack is a war veteran from the wars in India and he has scars and secrets that even his mother doesn't know about. Madeline is in the line of service and has worked for Axel Belmont for 10 years, ever since his first wife saved her from an abusive situation. She also has secrets and two stubborn and independent aunts. Jack's mother is coming to call for the holidays and he knows he needs someone to take his house in-hand to make sure it is ready for his very judgemental mother, and he needs a wo ...more
Penny Black
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
It seems I'll be the lone Grinch for this "Christmas in June" installment of Jaded Gentlemen. En masse, the series has been tepid in the romance department, with the notable exception of Matthew (The Jaded Gentlemen Book 2), but only because his character made the story for me.

By contrast, Sir Jack was unremarkable. He has a bit of emotional baggage, a bit of PTSD, both of which are left mostly unexplored in the narrative, and an inexplicable aversion to marriage that gradually fades
Jo Anne
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I started reading Grace Burrowes last summer, and through the winter read most everything she's written. I do enjoy her work. This is one of my favorites. Jack and Madeline are both wonderful characters, honorable, true to family and to each other. Fabulous cast of secondary characters: Axel and Abigail (from a previous story), Pahdi (Jack's Indian butler - love this guy), Madeline's two strong willed aunts, Jack's brother and mother, and an entire cast of neighbors and village folk. Fun story. ...more
Arlene Downey
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love these books

Sir Jack takes on Madeline as a companion to his mother and gives her a change from Axel and Abigail's home. Madeline looks after her two older aunts as best she can, but does not have much to share.

A series of thefts are brought to the attention of the magistrate, Sir Jack. Some of the property turns up where it was left to make a point! Interesting story and motivations!
KindleJo Jo
Both hero and heroine are mature, level headed adults. The side romance with the brother was sweet and helped keep the reader engaged in all goings on, not just h/h and their problems. Looking at Axel and Abby Belmont through other people's eyes was also a bit of a treat. Overall, another lovely tale in Burrowes' England. I love visiting this place. *sigh*
Jan
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"...could feel his heart beat against her palm, a slow, steady tattoo of reassurance."

And this is why I love Grace Burrowes' writing and treasure her books, and so unlike my usual reading habits, I REread her stories! She says so much with just a few words.
Keri
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Comfort read all the way. I loved Jack and thought he was the sweetest guy.
Rosemarie
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a bad romance, but I found it hard to connect with in some parts. In some ways I liked that the heroine wasn't a simpering virgin and had some experience, and I loved that she was responsible and a bit more mature, and Jack was very nice and laid back, but also caring. I think my problem with this book is the two characters beginning a sexual relationship, when she is in his employ, with no understanding between them. I am not saying it would never happen, but in a era where your reputation ...more
Lu
I love Grace Burrowes and Jack does not disappoint. James Langton is also a wonderful narrator and the stories get alive in his performance. The story itself does not vary much from Thomas, Mathew and Axel (Bachelor settled in his ways finds the woman of his dreams), but it’s well done and pleasurable to read/listen.
Jack is a gentleman that fought in India and was tortured and kept in prison for a while. He married in Indian but his wife died, so when he returned to England he brought his
Sharyn
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another lovely read by Burrowes. Axel and Abigail Belmont have had a lovely story. Now we meet their neighbor Sir Jack Fanning who has taken over the magistrate job from Axel. His mother is coming to visit and Axel volunteers Madeline, who has been a trusted servant to become his mother's companion. We slowly learn Madeline's backstory and that she has 2 widowed aunts who each have a little farm and are very poor. Sir Jack has spent time in India and we also learn his backstory which is quite in ...more
Mary Craven
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you get a mental picture in your head about what a character looks like, or his age. Jack was a side character in an earlier book and I really miss-imagined him. His own story straightened me out and gave me a wonderful read. This story had more misconceptions about over-baring mothers and older relatives take are not what we thought they were.
As always a wonderful read.
Dianne Carmen
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CONTINUES JOY

Each time I read one of the Books in Grace Burrowes Series I'm surprised with the continuate of the Tales, yet also the individual stories of each Male or Female Character. Well done.
Glen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing particularly noteworthy, but I enjoyed it enough anyway to award it 4 stars.
Susan Groves
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Up to the usual Grace Burrowes standard
Moey17
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok, but could have been better. Loved the characters, but their development could have been more fully realized. Just didn't live up to its potential.
Melissa McHugh
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Overall

I had only read this book once and didn’t really remember the storyline all that well. After finishing Axel, where we met both Madeline and Jack, I have to say I wasn’t really looking forward to reading their book. Neither of them made an impression on me as a character I wanted to know more about.

Sir John Fanning (Jack) has taken over as magistrate, something Axel hinted about being a good idea in his book. He spent a lot of time in India (twenty years, putting him in his late t
Christine
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Grace Burrowes is an auto-buy for me, so there wasn't any question about me getting her newest book, "Jack" in her "Jaded Gentlemen" series.

Sir Jack Fanning's household needs managing, and who better than Miss Madeline Hennessey, who has organized the house of Jack's good friend, Axel Belmont? Madeline reluctantly agrees to leave Axel's estate and take over Jack's staff. She'd prefer to stay with the Belmont family, and is worried about Jack discovering some secrets that Madeline wan
Cindy
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sir Jack and Miss Madeline Hennessey are both characters introduced in the third book of The Jaded Gentlemen Series by Grace Burrowes. The books don't need to be read in order, but I enjoy refreshing my memory with the earlier books while waiting for the latest to arrive. Madeline has been "in service" since she was a girl, but she's got a history that is introduced slowly into the story. Sir Jack is wealthy but has scars, mental and physical, from his time in the Army in India. He is widowed, w ...more
Barbara
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
As usual Ms Burrowes delivers a beautiful story of sorrow and joy, despair and love. Sir Jack is now the prosperous country gentleman after years in India. With his mother and brother on their way for an extended visit, Jack asks his friends Axel and Abigail to "lend" him Madeline, their all-in-one companion/housekeeper.

Axel and Abigail play matchmaker and decide that this would be a perfect solution to having Jack and Madeline see each other as a "possibility". Madeline has been in service eve
Cherie
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Not a favorite but still an enjoyable read. What I love most about GB's stories are her heroes, they are good men. I usually like her heroines also and I did like Madeline who was competent without being aggressive or overly stubborn. There are two romances involved and a look at family dynamics that GB is so good at portraying.

This is a slower paced story but flowed so well I never hesitated to pick it up and keep reading.

April 2019: Can't understand what is missing that
kathy kemmerer
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love all Grace Burrowes.

This story started out great, a wayward ram with and a bunch of ewes making lambs. Jack and Madeline have been misused in life and need their comfort zones. This story is a wonderful tale of discovery and love. Jack's Mother also finds peace. Love all the characters involved, even the ones that need to be reminded that their kindness to others is important.
Seema
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This has been one of the better series by Grace Burrowes. It has a nice set of characters and stronger plot lines. The hero is a magistrate who has hired a companion while his mother and brother are visiting. All the characters have the requisite niceness that Grace Burrowes specializes in. Hennessy was a character in Axel's story who gets her own story in this book. I enjoyed reading this book.
Danielle
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Ms. Burrowes. A must read if you are a fan of the three previous books in the Jaded Gentlemen series.

• Too Wilde to Wed (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #2)
  • Simply Perfect (Simply Quartet #4)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • In Need of a Duke (The Heart of a Duke, #0.5)
  • The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • Three Weeks With Lady X (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #1; Desperate Duchesses, #7)
  • Now a Bride (Mistress Trilogy #2.5)
  • Seducing an Angel (Huxtable Quintet, #4)
  • Dangerous Joy (Company of Rogues, #5)
  • An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
  • A Secret Affair (Huxtable Quintet, #5)
  • Forbidden (Company of Rogues, #4)
  • Christmas Angel (Company of Rogues, #3)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more

Jaded Gentlemen (4 books)
  • Thomas (Jaded Gentlemen, #1)
  • Matthew (Jaded Gentlemen, #2)
  • Axel (Jaded Gentlemen, #3)