Start by marking “Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag” as Want to Read:
Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag

Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag

The very first picture book about the remarkable and inspiring story of the Gay Pride Flag!

In this deeply moving and empowering true story, young readers will trace the life of the Gay Pride Flag, from its beginnings in 1978 with social activist Harvey Milk and designer Gilbert Baker to its spanning of the globe and its role in today’s world. Award-winning author Rob Sande
Published April 10th 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Pride, please sign up.
Gail Piazza In my opinion, this kind of book geared toward elementary school children is a game changer in making the world a better place. If children are taught…moreIn my opinion, this kind of book geared toward elementary school children is a game changer in making the world a better place. If children are taught about All the people of the world, there might be a little less hate and fear.
(less)
Sue By 'perversity' do you mean:
noun
a deliberate desire to behave in an unreasonable or unacceptable way; contrariness?
the quality of being contrary …more
By 'perversity' do you mean:
noun
the quality of being contrary to accepted standards or practice; unreasonableness.

Then,
No. However, I suspect those who would object to the content of this book may themselves be acting in a 'perverse' way.(less)

Start your review of Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag
KC
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all those neigh sayers regarding the content of this book and not being appropriate for elementary age children...what better time to start teaching empathy, kindness, acceptance, understanding, and most importantly HUMAN RIGHTS than when one is young?!?!?
Jon Nakapalau
I remember the dark day Harvey Milk was murdered. This book took me back to that time but the message is very positive - well written with beautiful art.
Aliza Werner
While a more in depth biography of Harvey Milk is needed, this PB, focusing on the story behind the rainbow flag, which is representative of the LGBTQ community and movement for equal rights, is important to tell. No doubt there will be adults who wonder if this topic is "appropriate" for children. I say 1000% yes. "But this book talks about assassination!" And kids know all about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination as a hate crime. They can know about this hate motivated crime, too. "Bu ...more
Calista
This is an introduction Harvey Milk and the Pride flag. Harvey helped create hope for people who felt different in this country and who people thought it was ok to treat less than human. He encouraged the creation of the Pride flag by Gilbert Baker as a symbol of pride and hope.

The movie Milk was a great movie and they did not really show the introduction of the flag, which is a little strange. They showed the flags waving after his death. Anyway.

I didn't know the beginnings of the flag. It's a
Amber Webb
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pride was a well written nonfiction picture book that will make an excellent addition to any level classroom library. The text and story are simple enough for even the youngest learners to follow and the story has opportunities for in depth discussions with older learners. This would be a great book for #ClassroomBookADay to facilitate discussions about strength, leadership, change, power, control, politics and differing opinions.
On a personal level, I knew very little of the story of Harvey Mi
MissBecka Gee
What a wonderful way to introduce tiny humans to the world of Pride!
Beautifully illustrated and of course a true story.
I see this being my new go to gift for tiny humans.
It's educational and real without being boring.
There are notes and time line charts at the back for quick reference, but the book does a great job of hitting all the important facts while keeping it fun.
Fabulous start to Pride month with this one!!!
Bookish
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
My initial reading was that this picture book was superficial both regarding Milk (about whom a good picture book biography is desperately needed) and the flag.

However, I reread it a few years later and feel differently now. Sure, this isn't a deep dive on either subject, but the overall message is an important one, one of unity and advocacy for social changes. And I appreciate that it was written by an Own Voices author.
Paige
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq-reading
What an amazing little book! So proud that my library owns this and that it was recently checked out. 💕
HG
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Perfect children’s book to read during Pride month
Barbara
3.5 for this one. As another reviewer noted, this picture book doesn't really do justice to Harvey Milk who deserves a more substantial treatment in a future biography. But it does provide the background to the creation of the rainbow-hued Gay Pride Flag and the hope that it instills. Older readers who remember those more repressive times back in 1978 will smile to see how far we've come in many respects while other, younger readers, may shake their heads in astonishment at how things were or pe ...more
Kyra Nay
This accessible picture book introduces young readers to gay rights activist and the one of the first openly-gay elected officials in the U.S. Harvey Milk, the Rainbow Flag’s creation by artist Gilbert Baker, and the history of the gay rights movement in America. Sanders captures the goals of the marchers on June 25, 1978, the first march that flew the Rainbow flag (the original design, with 8 stripes instead of the current 6) in straightforward, moving language:

Harvey and the people asked for
Joan
This was recommended somewhere but I cannot recall where or who. Speak up so I can credit you or forever hold your peace....
This is a book that will fill a gap in juvenile collections. We always need new biographies at the lower grade levels. This will help with that need. It also will assure those kids who might recognize the flag and reach for the book that it is normal to feel the way they do. Of course this book could and likely will get challenged so it might be best in branches with LGBTQ
Kimberly
I brought this one home for myself to look at, but my 4yo picked it up (because, rainbows) and asked me to read it to him. I did so, and even though most of it was way over his head, he enjoyed looking at the beautiful artwork. I was ready for any questions he had, but he only had one. “Did you know that guy?” I said no, I did not, but he was a real person. “Oh. Can I have a popsicle?”

So, you know, he’s probably indoctrinated or whatever now.
Katy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a few minor issues with some artistic choices in this. Overall I liked the story and the art, however.
Baby Bookworm
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Pride: The Story Of Harvey Milk And The Rainbow Flag, written by Rob Sanders and illustrated by Steven Salerno, a beautiful and moving ode to the banner of the LGBTQ community.

Harvey Milk had a dream. He wanted all people to be treated equally under the law; to love who they loved, be free to be themselves, and not be discriminated against. In 1977, Harvey beca
Alex  Baugh
The story of rainbow flag is, ironically, one of hope. Harvey Milk had a dream that one day everyone would have equality, even gay people. Working towards making that dream a reality, Harvey ran for became the first gay person elected to a political office, city supervisor in San Francisco. Harvey knew that his cause needed something - a visible symbol of hope that would make people feel they were part of a community, something like a flag. Sure enough, Harvey's friend, artist Gilbert Baker, des ...more
Lindsey
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful, kid-friendly biography about activist Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag he created with Gilbert Baker. It does mention that he was assassinated ("Their lives were taken by a man who did not think like Harvey, or feel like him, or love like him.") but it does not go into details. Instead, though book focuses on how he paved the way for future activism and encouraged people to show their pride. I loved the reminder of the night the White House was awash in the colors of the Rai ...more
Alida
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Mr. Sanders and Mr. Salerno. Well done. I'm very glad that libraries are carrying this book and making it available to LGBTQ+ parents and any other person that wishes to advance social justice. So many lives would have been saved if more these books could have been published in the 70's and 80's.

As to the topic of age "appropriateness" (we all know the meaning of that code word), it is precisely kids in this age bracket that needs to be educated and vaccinated against bigotry. This is
michelle
This is a beautiful book that focuses on positives rather than negatives. Harvey Milk is famous for saying "You have to give them hope," and that is the recurring theme in this book as this book is meant to give hope to the current and future generations. Steven Salerno's illustrations are marvelous. They bring the book to life and show the vivid spirit of the LGBTQ movement. The back of this book make it especially important as a nonfiction picture book because it gives not only great factual i ...more
Lorie Barber
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great introduction to Harvey Milk and his activism, the symbolism of the rainbow flag, and the gay pride movement. Anyone who says this book is inappropriate for schools (protests, assassination) should take a good, hard look at the fact that all of these topics are taught through the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
LOVE the informative back matter, which include timelines of both Milk’s life and that of the pride movement, as well as photos from various times in the history of the movement.
Caroline
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful, introductory history of the Pride flag and Harvey Milk’s part in its creation. I loved the way the author and illustrator saw the rainbow flag through to recent history. There are great biographical notes in the back to talk to readers about the history in a condensed fashion. I loved this book!
Tonya
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Although this book depicts some historical accuracy, the content is not appropriate for a picture book meant for children. Topics and terms of LGBTQ, assassination, gay, protests, etc are not age appropriate for elementary children.
Ryan M. Hanna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful book. I did not realize the lives of Harvey Milk and the creator of the rainbow/pride flag (Gilbert Baker) were so connected. This is an outstanding book for young people to learn about one of the most prominent symbols for equality and the heroic life of Harvey Milk.
Sara
I was looking for books about gay history at my local library when I stumbled across this! If I ever have kids this is one of the books I’m gunna read to them!! It’s super cute and still informative, even to me! I never knew the history of the pride flag so it was a great introduction!
Emily
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a breath of fresh air for the biography section. This is a step towards providing children with the ideas and thoughts that create equality and justice for all.
Emily
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great basic info about Harvey Milk and the origin of the Rainbow Flag.

Would have liked to see in the additional information something about the different color's meanings.
Angie
Such a beautiful book
Ken French
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so pleased there’s a children’s book about Harvey Milk and his role in creating the Pride flag. Appropriate that I read it on Harvey’s birthday, too.
Angie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
A great bio for any kid to read. Be proud!
Cecilia
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad LGBTQA+ books are making it into the libraries. Kids like me need hope and history and validation. And this book helps. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• I Am Every Good Thing
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Hair Love
See top shelves…
Rob Sanders does not work as a telephone sales rep, a loading dock worker, a trophy engraver, or an editor. But he used to. Rob is not a cowboy, a ballerina, an alien, or a temper-tantrum-throwing toddler. But he writes about them. Rob is a picture book author, a writing teacher, a blogger, and a great uncle. He worked for fifteen years in religious educational publishing as a writer, editor, edit ...more