Start by marking “What Good Cooks Know: 20 Years of Test Kitchen Expertise in One Essential Handbook” as Want to Read:

After more than 20 years of obsessive research and testing, America's Test Kitchen has literally written the book on how to master your kitchen. Logically organized and packed with step photography, this will be the ultimate one-stop resource for both shopping and cooking.

Have you ever wished that your kitchen came with instructions? Let the experts at America's most trust
Published October 25th 2016 by America's Test Kitchen

To ask other readers questions about What Good Cooks Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Good Cooks Know

Lorraine
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best kind of cookbook to keep in your kitchen. what good cooks know by America's Test Kitchen has all kinds of information, some recipes, and covers "20 years of Test Kitchen expertise." It is the kind of cookbook one would reach for to solve a problem such as a recipe is in the Metric System, but you only know the US measuring system. This book has on page 354-355 the conversion scale for these two measuring systems as well as Fahrenheit to Celsius so one would just get the book and ...more
Marisa Eikenberry
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
If you like to cook and really enjoy learning the science behind the recipes and techniques, then you'll definitely want to pick up this book.

I really enjoyed learning how America's Test Kitchen tests products, recipes, and ingredients. It was nice to see a bit of a "peek behind the curtain" for this wonderful company.

I also happen to own The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook so much of the tips and instructions in this book were the same. So if you already own that book, I wouldn't
Ariadna73

This is a book about kitchen tools, kitchen gadgets, how to find the best ingredients and how to best manipulate and prepare them. In other words, is a book that contais all you ever wanted to know about your kitchen but were affraid to ask. The pleasure of reading this book has no description. You need to savor it page by page to see by yourself how much potential are there in such an important place of our lives: the adored kitchen.

This is the cover page of the book. There is a black and whit
Amanda Knox
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
At the outset I thought this book would strictly talk food science. I was pleasantly surprised to see thorough chapters evaluating kitchen appliances and necessities as well as pantry staples (best butters, best pastas, etc.). I was disappointed that some of their suggestions bordered on impractical and unnecessary. For example, some of the “best” whatevers cost hundreds of dollars. But on the other hand, the Test Kitchen makes reasonable arguments for things like having both aluminum and glass ...more
Jimmy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Food nerds rejoice. America's Test Kitchen has another great compendium of food knowledge.

I love America's Test Kitchen and what they do to ensure what they recommend is a 100% satisfaction guarantee sticker. This new book shows that a lot of love and care when into the writing and publishing of this. It's beautifully adorned with colorful pictures throughout, all the more that makes you just want to get up and cook.

The book is divided into two core sections: knowledge and recipes. The knowledge
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Pictures of recipes? Yes, all the recipes featured step by step pictures.
Commentary on recipes? Yes.
Nutrition facts? No.
Recipe Style? The basics.
Any keepers? No.

This feels exactly like a textbook you'd get in Home Economics class. The first 230 pages examine equipment and ingredients, followed by approximately 50 basic recipes. This would be great for someone with absolutely zero kitchen experience.
Becca Easlon
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
To say this was a helpful read in my quest to become a better home cook would be an understatement. I've read a few helpful cook books but this one is a necessity on every home cook's shelf.
I would gift this at weddings, and Christmas. I will shove this book in every one of my friend's faces. I will treasure it and constantly use it as a go to for understanding the fundamentals in cooking. This book has very helpful tips to aid in your journey to understanding how to not just cook good food, bu
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just paging through, I got a great tip on making Chocolate Crinkle Cookies that sounds like it'll solve the problem of confectioners' sugar being absorbed.

This is a book that has something to teach you whether you're an experienced chef, competent cook/baker or a beginner in the kitchen. Great for a college student, someone just starting out or newlyweds. Solid information and explanations of equipment and ingredients. Besides techniques, you're taken inside the world of tests with products rank
Tiffany
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of cooking tips. This book is so good at explaining what their favorite products and appliances are and why. It also gives really good cooking advice and the reasoning behind each tip.
Anne Fabing
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful expansive cookbook that shares multiple little known secrets and tips. As an accomplished cook and baker of 30 years, even I had many things I learned from this book. It's definitely a keeper.
Barbara Pearlman
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent reference book for cooks with a few basic recipes. It is a summary of the best tips and reviews of Cook's Illustrated Magazine. I recommend this book for anyone who is into cooking and baking. I pick it up from time to time and get fascinating information from it.
Goth Gone Grey
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, 2017
Fascinating book - I sat and read (devoured?) it for the fun cooking tidbits, but have not tried any of the recipes yet.
Ietrio
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: practical
Its biggest quality: its size.

Its biggest problem: its size.

Not special. But if you have it, there are enough things you can use. Nothing a google search won't give you.
Cathy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the intoduction says it all "This book is for all the cooks who have ever wished that their kitchens came with an instruction manual"; a fabulous book for any age cook
Janet
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a pretty seasoned cook, but still found some helpful tidbits in here about soup bases, peanut butter, yeast and more. Totally worth the read.
Justin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
There are many things in here that aren't too useful (stocking a pantry, etc). This combined with the sizeable recipe section makes this book less useful than some of its peers
Chad Olson
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
America's Test Kitchen delivers a manual for the home cook.
Karen Beculhimer
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
It's a little heavy-handed in that it's probably full of paid advertisements for foods and kitchen gadgets. Also unless you're an absolute beginner, there may not be much in it for you. I personally found all the descriptions of simple ingredients annoying, like we're too dumb to know what sugar is. However, the few recipes look very good and have fairly simple ingredients, and the advice on cooking eggs in various ways was extremely helpful!
Rose
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
This is a marvelous resource for anyone serious about learning to cook or just to improve their cooking skills.
Amber
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 09-fine-arts
Perfect for anyone who wants to know more about the kitchen, but doesn't know where to start. Just what I needed.
Laura Eggen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This one has a lot of very helpful hints and tips, but (as I suppose should be expected) they are VERY particular and exacting in their cooking. Not really my style (Hahaha).
Boya
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good book for beginners!
Michael
Len Pettek
May 21, 2017
Dec 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
America's Test Kitchen, based in a brand new state-of-the-art 60,000 sq. ft. facility with over 15,000 sq. ft. of test kitchens and studio space, in Boston's Seaport District, is dedicated to finding the very best recipes for home cooks. Over 50 full-time (admittedly obsessive) test cooks spend their days testing recipes 30, 40, up to 100 times, tweaking every variable until they understand how an ...more