Start by marking “Rivers of London: Night Witch” as Want to Read:
Rivers of London: Night Witch

Rivers of London: Night Witch

(Rivers of London graphic novels #2)

RUSSIAN TO DISASTER

The daughter of a powerful Russian oligarch has vanished from her home, apparently taken by a mythical forest creature fresh out of Russian legend. To 'encourage' Peter's cooperation in finding the missing child, his boss Nightingale is kidnapped--and Peter finds himself caught in a tangled web of intrigue where nothing is as it seems!

Collects Rivers of
Published December 13th 2016 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Rivers of London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rivers of London

Lyn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
As fun as Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series is on the bookshelves, the graphic novel collection makes it all the better.

The second collection of the comics, published in 2016 and combining the stand alone stories numbers 6 through 10, is more focused on the overall storyline than was the first set of graphic novels, published together as Rivers of London: Body Work.

Besides getting to enjoy some amazing artwork, Aaronovitch and company more fully develop the characters of Nightingale, Les
Andrew
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
And here we have another instalment in the ever entertaining Rivers of London series - in this case the second graphic novel. Now I would point out that even though this does fit in to the series it is not dependent on the books nor does in impart any great secrets that you would otherwise not be aware of.

What it is, is a standalone story which just happens to take the various characters you would find them between certain titles in the series. As such you have a feel of familiarity and yet I am
Stewart Tame
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second Rivers of London graphic novel that I've read, and I'm still trying to make up my mind whether I like the series or not. I like the idea of it: police procedural mixed with the paranormal and set in modern-day London. Part of the problem may be the large ensemble cast. One character barely has time to do anything before the scene shifts to someone else. There are some lovely character moments in this book, but they're lost if you aren't given sufficient time to know everyone. ...more
Paul E. Morph
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Again, I didn't enjoy the comicbook version of Peter Grant as much as I do the version from the novels but I did enjoy this story a bit more than the previous comicbook tale (which suffered a bit from the fact that the demon-possessed-car thing has been done a few times already).

To be honest, I'm mainly reading the comics because I've been told there is some crossover between the novels and the comics and I don't want to be missing part of the picture. Anyway, now I've read this I can move onto
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
As brilliant as expected with an Aaronovitch Rivers Of London tale..... not much else to say except read it!
Lata
There are some individuals you just do not mess with, and three of them are featured in this story about a kidnapping of a young girl: Nightingale (of course), Varvara Sidarovna (the Night Witch from "Broken Homes"), and Beverly Brook. There are Russian gangsters involved, Varvara's past, and Lesley (and The Faceless Man) are on the periphery, taking advantage of the situation.
It was a bit of a shock to see Lesley again, while I wonder how long Bev's new help will stick around.
Christine
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to come! I'm really trying to write a review for every 2018 book, even if it's just a brief one! My Goodreads New Year's resolution... but we'll see. : )

Currently I'm at the library, (1/16/18), because we're supposedly getting snow tonight, through tomorrow morning. This is my excuse for checking out 12 new books and 6 movies... ; )
Roy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5*. This wasnt as good as the 1st in this graphic novel series or crimes. So far it hasn't been a great start in the graphic novel world. I feel like the characters chop and change too much from frame to frame. I'll continue to read them as the novel series is one of my favourite of all time.
Wing Kee
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 for world building and meh for plot.

World: The art is fine, it's middle of the road lower budget comic book art but it is fine. The world building here is splendid as it dives deeper into different areas of the world the main series has not covered yet, mainly the Russian Night Witch program which is fascinating. I won't spoil anything for you but it's good.

Story: The story is solid, it's interesting and has great dialog between characters and overall paced well. However it is very cliche an
Daisy Madder
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're going to attempt to threaten someone by going after their girlfriend, it's always best you ensure said girlfriend isn't actually a goddess...
Antonomasia
As this takes place between books five and six of a novel series in which I've only read up to book three, it's not surprising I found parts of Night Witch (and not necessarily the obviously spoilery bits) somewhat opaque. Or maybe that was because it's like one of those action films you settle down to watch assuming it'll be big dumb fun, then the plot turns out to be a whole lot more convoluted than you bargained for.

Nice to see a new [to me] strand of foreign magic in Grant's already cosmopol
Emily
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
These Peter Grant graphic novels are supplemental stories rather than adaptations of the novels, and it’s fun to get bonus material in this format. The artwork is good, I like how the major characters are portrayed, but I did have a little trouble this time telling the minor characters apart.
My favorite part of this one was how Beverly Brook deals with home invasion.
Dan
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the second graphic novel volume from the Rivers of London series. The Folly are called in to help a Russian oligarch hunt his missing daughter who has apparently been kidnapped by a magical creature. Soon though Grant and Nightingale find themselves embroiled in a plot involving the Russian mafia and nemesis, the Faceless Man.

Rivers of London has a base level of being awesome. This is still Rivers of London and is awesome for all the reasons the rest of the series is awesome. This, for m
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Read it last night. Did enjoy, but slightly less than the first one. Maybe a bit too gruesome and confusing for me. I did like how it turned out, and I might read it again, as the plot was rather complex for me to follow. Especially with the flash backs to historical times. Some awesome female power in here, I almost did pity the Russian mafia.

Add on: Bev is as beautiful in the graphic novel as I imagined her, but I wish she and the other female characters weren’t all so universally slim. Bev es
Alex Sarll
I still have reservations about the likenesses for Peter Grant and Nightingale (though Lesley works brilliantly in a more visual medium), at times the storytelling seems needlessly confusing, and I'm uneasy with totally eclipsing the historical, heroic Night Witches by transferring the name to a magical unit. But despite all that, there's a nice twisty little Folly story in here, wherein a Russian forest spirit seems to be loose in South-East England, before things get considerably more complica ...more
AndrewP
The second collected graphic novel in the series. Good art, story and humor, but this one let me down because there was hardly any supernatural stuff (a.k.a. weird bollocks) in the story.

Worth reading if your a fan, but may not make a lot of sense of you haven't read anything else in the Rivers of London series.
diane
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, comics
This felt more like an addition to the main stories covered in the novels rather than a monster-of-the-week episode, which was nice.

I am still grumpy about Leslie, who makes an appearance in this graphic novel. I hope for some resolution, but her betrayal still rankles.

Fun story, with glimpses into the character's lives that we know and love and want to know and love more. Better than the first graphic novel.
Fred
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I am anxiously awaiting the next Rivers of London novel, so this fills a gap. I'm curious how the stories in the graphic novels will connect the books (proper), especially with Lesley. This graphic novel is okay - we get to see Nightingale in action, and we get a rather mundane kidnapping story.
Margaret
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a word: fantastic!

I cannot get enough of Ben Aaronovitch either novels or the graphic variety.

Bellish
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
A less interesting plot than Body Work possibly because the slightly indifferent art made it hard to keep track of some of the characters. Still, an enjoyable diversion.
Nicole
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot is mostly misdirections and tangents, though in the end the missing child case is a fairly simple matter. What Varvara and Lesley are (separately?) up to is not so clear. As usual, Peter is earnest with a side of snark, scrambling around trying to understand things. Nightingale is quietly cool. And Beverley is all about ethical grey areas and being fabulous. I snickered aloud at Bev’s “All shall love me and despair” shirt. The short “Tale from the Folly” called “These Aren’t the Gods Yo ...more
Jen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I have only read the first book in the non-graphic novel series, so I might be missing something in this volume. The storyline is super complicated and a little confusing at times, almost gratuitously for a simple child kidnapping case.
Hisham El-far
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent Graphic Novel in the Rivers Of London series.

Night Witch features the return of Varvara Tamonina to a more prominent role as a kidnap case mixes the Folly with Russian organised crime.

I'm pretty sure this is set after Foxglove Summer.
Tracey
Though this was good I preferred the first one .
Dave Packard
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I love getting a chance to see the author’s vision of the characters and environments for the Rivers of London series. Gotta read them all!
Natalie aka Tannat

Bonus points for Varvara Sidorovna and Beverly Brook's reaction to thugs breaking into her place (not actually better than the previous volume but I guess I'm in a generous mood).
Darnell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Written for people already familiar with the concept and characters, so hard to judge. Will look for a different entry point - wish these graphic novels were better labeled.
Raj
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the second of Peter Grant's visual outings, we see a kidnapping, the Russian mafia and the lengths a parent will go to to get their child back. The art here is, again, rather lovely. I find the style really suits the series, so top marks to Lee Sullivan. The story is fairly slight, once again, and readable in a quite short space of time. I found it didn't hang together hugely well on first read, although a re-read did definitely help (and it's short enough that you can read it a couple of tim ...more
Bethnoir
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully illustrated graphic novel, the story a mix of surprises, amusing bits, scary bits and mystery, not as enjoyable as a written novel, because it's shorter, but very enjoyable nevertheless.
Reni
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like the previous graphic novel, this isn't a great comic, but it's decent fun and yet another opportunity to spend some time with beloved characters from the Rivers of London series with all the goodness that entails (meaning mainly magic and Peter's nerdiness).

The actual plot ends up a bit chaoitic and probably could have done with less players, but I was more invested in this than the haunted car from the previous run, so it's not like it didn't work out in the end. The inclusion of some of t
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Folly Irregulars: The Night Witch 18 20 Feb 19, 2018 08:17AM

• Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville, #3)
  • The Beast of the Rails (The Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne Volume 1)(Girl Genius, #14)
  • The Case of the Simple Soul (Bad Machinery, #3)
  • Phonogram, Vol. 3: The Immaterial Girl
  • Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 2: First Encounters
  • Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? (Shadow Police, #3)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Dept. H, Volume 2: After the Flood
  • Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Gargoyles: Clan Building, Volume 1
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 7: Operation: Saddlebag
  • Hopcross Jilly #1-6 (Mercy Thompson)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London graphic novels (8 books)
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work