Start by marking “Tulák (Tulák, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tulák (Tulák, #1)

Tulák

(The Vagrant #1)

Strhující debut plný úplatných a zkažených rytířů a ztroskotaných létajících lodí. A v centru děje stojí tajemná postava osamoceného Tuláka

Svět je zničený, slunce se rozpadlo na dva kusy. Z Trhliny se vyvalila démonická stvoření, přivlastnila si svět a ničí vše, co jim přijde do cesty, zemi i lidi. Lidé svedli bitvu a prohráli. Rytíři a ochránci zemřeli. Nesmrtelní vůdci b
Published August 18th 2016 by Host (first published April 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Tulák, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex Bauer From what I understood, the essence of the Commander became infused with The Hammer and would have turned her against the Vagrant and Harm - since she…moreFrom what I understood, the essence of the Commander became infused with The Hammer and would have turned her against the Vagrant and Harm - since she is such a formidable character the Vagrant had no choice but to kill her before she could turn into an adversary.(less)
Liz The author says that there will be at least one sequel so, while the book does work fine by itself, there seems to be more coming. (See this interview…moreThe author says that there will be at least one sequel so, while the book does work fine by itself, there seems to be more coming. (See this interview on Chuck Wendig's site for details: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/... )(less)

Mark Lawrence
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. 'loved' may not be too strong a word. Best thing I've read in quite a while.

It's an original tale. Every review will mention that it focuses on a man (our 'vagrant') who doesn't speak, and his co-stars are a baby and a goat. More importantly, the man's non-speaking is backed up by a text that spends no significant amount of time in his head - so he remains an enigma, illuminated only through his interactions. A second story thread begins eight years earlier and procee
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is a very unique book because the protagonist, quite literally, never utters a word. I didn’t think this would work as a novel and I feared that it would come across as a little silly. It did, however, work tremendously, and the result was a protagonist who was somewhat of an enigma. His thoughts are impenetrable and his motives are not entirely clear. If the plot doesn’t provide you with reason to read this, then discovery what drives this mysterious figure certainly will.

One bad-ass pro
Dan Schwent
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A sword-wielding mute, a baby, and a goat cross a post-apocalyptic landscape, heading for the Shining City. But will they reach their destination before the demonic horde on their trail overtakes them?

After reading about this book on Chuck Wendig's blog, I couldn't wait to dig in. However, at the time, Harper Voyager wanted $20 for the e-book. Since everyone knows that's horseshit, I held off until I found a new hardcover and I'm quite pleased with my treeware purchase.

The story of the last of t
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 3.5 stars.

The Vagrant! The title itself is intriguing, begging the question how a fantasy story could revolve around such a person. But then you begin to read the book, and it all becomes so clear that Peter Newman is channeling equal parts Stephen King’s The Gunslinger, Peter Ward’s The Warded Man, and McCormac’s The Road, as The Vagrant mixes the extraordinary elements of each of those books, creating something spectacularly addictive, which not
Ivan
The Vagrant was delightful read.Not perfect but so fresh and unique that it's easy to overlook any potential flaws.

Lets start with the cast.We have mute protagonist, baby and the goat. Not a talkative bunch but that doesn't stop them from being well developed, even the goat (especially the goat).We don't get to see what's going on inside Vagrant's mind, we only get insight into his thoughts based on his reactions and actions.Later odd fellowship is joined by other characters, most episodic and o
Petros Triantafyllou
The Vagrant is an interesting format, and not one that you see very often, but very well executed, with multi-leveled characters & exciting action set pieces. The writing is solid, well-crafted, and in no rush.
In an alien infected, post apocalyptic world, a mute soldier is called to protect an ancient and powerful sword, and return it to it's rightful owners. But, unable to speak, and with no company but a baby and a goat, will he manage to successfully finish his task, or humanity is doome
seak
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I actually accepted a copy of The Vagrant from the publisher knowing just about nothing about the book. The synopsis coupled with an intriguing, if somewhat cliche, cover (but wait, a baby?!?) sold me alone. This doesn't happen all the time and usually when this is all that sells me on a book, I end up about as disappointed as you can get.

That's why I scour blogs and Goodreads so regularly. I can't trust my gut reaction on these things...normally.

The Vagrant is a hard book to nail down. It invo
Bradley
I wouldn't say this was an endlessly engaging book about a mute, a baby and a goat, but the quality of the writing was such that I was lost in evocation, the magical spell of the text.

I was slightly worried that this might have turned into a paint-by-numbers fantasy with a clever mute with a baby and a goat twist, but no, it actually became a flowing, even lyrical quest of redemption and slow reveals percolating from the past.

I mean, demon hoards and intelligent singing swords are pretty awesome
edge of bubble
I can't say I was in love with this book. But, like is such a mild word to describe my affection for it. Maybe strong fondness. Why does it matter that I find the right word to describe my feelings for it? I don't know, it just does.

The Vagrant reminded me of Ursula Le Guinn's A Wizard of Earthsea. The stories were nothing alike, or the writing. But, both are tales of journeys in a fantasy setting. Not tales of heroes defeating evil or delivering the world from it's fate, those are just a part o
David Sven
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lone wanderer, wanders across the desert
A lone wanderer, and a baby wander across a wasteland
A lone wanderer, a baby and a seeing sword wander across a post-apocalyptic..
A lone wanderer, a baby, a moaning, seeing sword with wings..no of course it doesn't see with it's wings!.. and a goat wander across

A lone Wandering Knight, cloaked in mystery, speechless, travels across an apocalyptic landscape. He carries in his possession an artifact pure and powerful - Gamma's Sword, a seeing, living weap
Stefan Bach
Book Vagrant is:
Miller's Mad Max 2 *

only without cars;
Del Torro's Pacific Rim

only without 5 storage high reptiles and
it reminds me a bit of Invasion of The Body Snatchers.

description

And in that world roams, without apparent reason nor quest, our main protagonist.
Who's mute.

"- Ooookay... A bit unconventional - but for sure writer did stick some blabbermouth as his companion who'll more than enoug..."

Nope. Main companion of our mute protagonist is - a baby.

- „Aha. Mhm. Hmm...“

But we have very amusi
Philip
1.5ish stars.

The premise is really cool. The dark tone is atmospheric and engaging. The sparse prose is pretty and had me entranced for a little while. Having said that, my experience reading this was much the same as it was while reading The Road (with which I've found this book has several similarities in style and content) but without any of the payoff. I eventually became disillusioned with the sparse, pretty prose and, within three or four chapters, found it to be frustratingly detached and
Matthew
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vagrant tells the story of a lone Seraph Knight (The Vagrant) as he travels across a post-demonic and apocalyptic landscape with only a legendary sword and a baby for companionship. He must deliver this sword to the Shining City, the last bastion of humanity, if there is to be any hope of defeating the demonic plague. But the Shining City is far away, and the blasted lands are a very dangerous place.

I was lucky enough to be the recipient of an early ARC of the Vagrant many months ago. At th
Justine
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
The Vagrant is a mute knight on a mysterious mission accompanied by a goat and a baby and travelling across a demon-infested post-apocalyptic wasteland. I would actually kind have liked to have been there when Peter Newman made his pitch to his agent because, even aside from the premise, a whole book where the main character never speaks is an interesting idea to say the least.

Newman also doesn't provide any insight to the reader by way of the Vagrant's thoughts or inner monologue either, but le
Olivier Delaye
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so regarding narration I’m usually not a big fan of the passive voice, the present tense, and repeated flashbacks. I may be picky here or a bit of a quibbler but these are the things, among others, that really get my goat (and yes, there is a goat in the book, as many have mentioned, and she’s awesome). Now of course there are exceptions (Cormac McCarthy’s novels and Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy come to mind) and—drumroll please—Peter Newman’s The Vagrant is one of them. This book ...more
Phee
A new favourite.

A mute man, a baby and a goat, that was all I had to hear about this book to pick it up. This is one that, I think, slips under the radar somewhat. People take one look at the synopsis and think that a mute protagonist isn’t going to make the reader care about him, his mission or the world he lives in.
How can you enjoy a character so much when he doesn’t speak? How can you learn his motive and his emotions. It shouldn’t work, but my goodness it does work, it works in such a bea
Jason
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

"‘You’re confused. I know what that’s like. He did the same to me.’ Harm ignores the Vagrant’s silent question, keeps his focus on the giant Usurperkin. ‘I used to live in Verdigris but I left that life behind to follow a rogue Seraph and his baby. When I stop to think about it, I realize it’s madness but I don’t care. This new life is many things but it’s not poison.’"

After my reread a year later, my thoughts have not changed.

I loved The Vagrant by Peter Newman. This book deserves full
K.S.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not every day do I read a book that, in my mind, hits all the right spots.

The sparse prose won't be everyone's cup of tea. It flows well, relaying the dystopian atmosphere of the world perfectly, but it requires you to pay attention. The POV borders on omniscient...you even get a couple from the goat, which made me grin. I thought it was neat, something a little different, and for me it works well for the story this book is trying to tell.

Don't read it for the plot. Read it for the rich detail
Scott  Hitchcock
A great world where fantasy, sci-fi, urban and dystopian are all blended together. I think the people who would love this book the best are gamers. It read like an epic quest combining demons, half-breeds that have been corrupted by a demonic pandemic, magic, modern artillery……..

The writer's style did seem choppy at first and I can see why it would put people off. I identified what it was and actually came to like it. He would form a sentence like: The knight commander walked down the street, co
Liam Degnan
2.5 stars.

This book was a HUGE mixed bag for me, because a lot of the elements were so good, but other elements were just plain boring and not very well presented at all. It reminded me an awful lot of The Road, but again, certain elements I enjoyed more than The Road, other elements fell completely flat.

This book brings us into a world where the sun has (literally) been split in two. Two smaller suns now orbit each other, one red, and one white. I'm not sure how this happened, but it did. Ther
Terence
A silent warrior sets out on a dangerous path to reach the Shining City. All he carries with him is a baby, a powerful sword, and whatever meager supplies he has accumulated. Many tainted beings are searching to destroy the sword and only the man, The Vagrant, is able to protect and wield the divine weapon.

The Vagrant is a hard story to get into. First of all the title character doesn't speak. On top of that there is no internal dialogue that helps guide the story. Information is gathered from o
The Shayne-Train
**DNF at 36%**

The idea is great, the writing is decent, and the concept of "a mute, a baby, and a goat go on a pilgrimage across a dsytopian landscape wracked by demonic wars" is incredible. But I can't do it. I just don't care enough about the peepz or the world to keep slogging through.

If'n yer gonna make a nameless mute be your third-person protagonist, he's gonna hafta be about 20% cooler.

Jokoloyo
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tried-but-not-for-me (borrowed the term from Liviu).

After finished this novel, I see it as a first novel of a series, it reminds me of Jim Butcher's Storm Front. But I like Storm Front better than this novel.

I don't mind unfinished plots or slightly growing main characters. But the perfect character (is it called Gary Stu?) of the main protagonist is not for me. If the main protagonist is not a mute, he is a perfect super hero knight defender of love and justice. The Baby and The Goat characters
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
A silent knight with a mythical sword, a baby and a goat on a quest to reach a Shining City. Enough to guarantee the perfect story right!

And it really is! I loved the Vagrant with his silence and good deeds. I loved his relationship with the little baby and the baby itself was absolutely charming. The winged sword is amazing. And don't let me start on the goat because she is simply brilliant! A stroke of genius.
The landscape through which the trio is travelling is dark and dangerous a
T.O. Munro
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actions speak louder than words

I heard the author speak at the Grim Gathering II in Bristol where he gave a short summary of his book "A one parent family in a post-demonic apocalypse." Look closely at the exquisite cover and you will see the key elements in this tale. A ragged man with a sword in one hand and a baby in the other walking a street of ruined buildings above a title set out in neon lights. Before the first page is turned, the book is challenging expectations.

There is a story line,
Kaitlin
This is a very unique read, and it's a series I have been wanting to start for quite a long time, but I came away from the book still feeling a bit confused, and although I liked the mystery, I wanted more explanations. We're following a main character called The Vagrant as he carries a baby and leads a goat through the hostile lands which hunt him. The Vagrant is a mute character, never speaking for the whole story, but managing to express his feelings to those who are perceptive through expres ...more
Nick T. Borrelli
Wanted to love it...aspired to love it...encouraged myself to love it....but in the end, I just liked it. This is such a cool book in theory. The setting is right up my alley - a post-apocalyptic land where demons roam looking to feed on the innocent, a cool back-history, amazing secondary characters etc. What I ultimately couldn't get past was the fact that the main character had zero lines of dialogue. At first it was kind of unique and original and then when I continued to read it became a bi ...more
Tracey the Lizard Queen

I really enjoyed this one. It had a kind of "epic quest" vibe to it, without it being really obvious. Deliver the sword and save the world. Of course it isn't that simple. There are many hardships faced along the way and the added complication of a baby and a incredibly stubborn goat. I loved the crossover of fantasy and sci-fi, and the creatures from the Breach were both captivating and appalling.

The narrative took a little while to get used to, but it soon became normal and I had no
Mieneke
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
Peter Newman's debut novel The Vagrant was one of my most anticipated books for the first half of the year. Already familiar with his work on the Tea and Jeopardy podcast, I was looking forward to seeing what he would do with a longer fictional work. When the cover was released and I spotted that baby on it, along with the blurb, I was hooked, I had to read this book. After a bit of a cold start The Vagrant made for very compelling reading.

I’m not sure whether the cold start was due to the sh
Mike (the Paladin)
This is another that I'd call a slightly odd book. It doesn't fit neatly into any particular and recognizable sub genre. With a taste of the post apocalyptic yet also the feel of taking place in a totally different world than our own we get that introduction to a totally "new" place feeling. (Sorry for those of you who hate it when quotes are used that way. I'm simply using them as I'm sure the new place reference has been used this way elsewhere).

The Vagrant is apparently a mute traveler who se
independent Reading assignment 1 3 Dec 06, 2018 04:12PM
You'll love this ...: October 2017 - The Vagrant 129 45 Oct 30, 2017 07:42AM

• Guns of the Dawn
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
  • When the Heavens Fall (The Chronicles of the Exile, #1)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • Swords and Scoundrels (Duelists Trilogy, #1)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Godblind (Godblind #1)
  • Dämoren (Valducan, #1)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)
  • Gemini Cell (Reawakening Trilogy #1)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Gunlaw
  • In Dark Service (Far Called Trilogy, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • Unwrapped Sky (Caeli-Amur, #1)
Peter Newman co-writes the Hugo and Alfie Award winning Tea and Jeopardy podcast and is also the voice of the butler, Latimer.

His debut novel, THE VAGRANT, was published by Harper Voyager and won the David Gemmell Morningstar Award for best newcomer in 2016. It was followed by THE MALICE, and then THE SEVEN.

There are also two shorter stories set in the same world, available as ebooks. THE HAMMER A

The Vagrant (3 books)
  • The Malice (The Vagrant, #2)
  • The Seven (The Vagrant, #3)
“When everything’s going alright, best thing you can do is sit back and enjoy it till things turn to shit, which they surely will.’ Silence” 1 likes
“As the suns rise, the goat chews. A” 0 likes