Start by marking “The Beauty That Remains” as Want to Read:
The Beauty That Remains

The Beauty That Remains

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  967 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
Music brought Autumn, Shay, and Logan together. Death wants to tear them apart.

Autumn always knew exactly who she was—a talented artist and a loyal friend. Shay was defined by two things: her bond with her twin sister, Sasha, and her love of music. And Logan always turned to writing love songs when his love life was a little less than perfect.

But when tragedy strikes each
Published March 6th 2018 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty That Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty That Remains

War Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
947 books — 4,356 voters
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertEverless by Sara  HollandSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
134 books — 532 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
The Beauty That Remains is a really solid debut from an author I will be looking out for in the future. I feel like the book was spread a little thin over the three different perspectives, but the strong writing and diverse characters show a lot of promise.
We all nod. We all get it. There's no way to measure grief;

It is hard to write a good book about grief. First, you must convince the reader of the importance of the relationship between the protagonist(s) and the deceased; make them care abo
Lola
Books that deal with grief are hit-or-miss for me.

I always find them important, because how could anyone not, but I am only able to enjoy them if I end up caring considerably for the dead characters and/or the characters who are grieving themselves.

This book contains three alternative points of view: two girls and one boy. All three characters—Autumn, Logan and Shay—have lost someone they loved, whether it be a boyfriend, friend or family member.

The latter also died under various tragic circum
Warda
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
“For the sensitive among us
sometime the noise
is just too much...”

So good. So so good!
Beautifully written story that follows three characters who are dealing with a loss of a loved one.
The type of story that takes a seat in your heart.
Three amazingly diverse and well developed characters with a distinct voice that you'll find a home in.
Gosh, it was good. It felt fulfilling to read, to follow these characters on their journey of grief and what it does to you soul and the ways manifests in.
And
✨    jamieson   ✨
"If you'd asked me years ago what does love feel like I never would have guessed at our hearts beating, our chests heaving, and the unbearable ache of you leaving. Our hearts beating, our chests heaving, and the unbearable ache of you leaving"

listen, I'm gonna be straight up with you here I only added this to my TBR because Alisha Wainwright narrates one third of this audiobook and I'm super gay for her. (haha jokes I'm gay in general but SHE REALLY HAS A BEAUTIFUL VOICE)

So I generally DON'T
Fidan Lurin
I received an ARC copy of The Beauty that Remains in exchange for an honest review. Thanks goes to NetGalley, as well as the Delacorte Press for this advanced copy which is expected to be released on March 06, 2018.

The Beauty that Remains is Ashley Woodfolk‘s debut novel, believe it or not. It is sure to be one of the greatest books of 2018 and that’s saying a lot given that we’ve barely walked into February. This is all that a contemporary reader looks for – LGBT awareness, suicide, depression,
Rachel Strolle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous, gorgeous book
Perfect for those who love novels by Adam Silvera, Jeff Zentner, or Nina LaCour.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
T/W- Suicide, Grief, Panic Attacks, Underage Drinking/Drugs

The Beauty That Remains is a good, emotional and hard-hitting debut novel that I heard about one day on Twitter. The colourful cover really appealed to me, it is really pretty to look at and all of the colours featured go well together. There are three characters Autumn, Shay and Logan, all of their perspectives are featured with one POV per chapter. All of them have faced a form of bereavement but one band's music suddenly brings them a
Dianne
Dark, edgy and filled with emotional turmoil and the heavy feeling of loss, THE BEAUTY THAT REMAINS by Ashley Woodfolk tells the tale of a group of teens individually dealing with the loss of a loved one either through illness, suicide or a deadly accident. These are their stories, their reflections on the past, and their attempts to heal and give up the ghosts of guilt that haunt them. In the end, these seemingly individual struggles will find their healing through music and a band that, in a s ...more
Sana
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as need
I've heard there are gay, black and latino characters in this book, i'm already crying.
alice (arctic books)
3.5 stars.

This was a really solid read! The writing and plot really captured me on the first page, so much so that I finished this book in two sittings total. The writing is incredible, and I loved the slow-moving plot and bittersweet nostalgia. I enjoyed reading about the three main characters' struggles after the deaths of their loved ones, and I also appreciate the diversity that was so flawlessly included within these characters. Autumn is adopted and Korean, Logan is gay, and there are als
Noha Badawi
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to the deepest parts of me.
I loved every word, devoured every page and I’m so glad I picked it up.

full review: https://thebookishword.wordpress.com/...
Amanda
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There’s not enough words for me to describe how much I loved The Beauty That Remains! So so so breathtakingly beautiful! Tears & smiles for days, this book will stay with me forever. Full review will be posted closer to release date, so hurry up 2018 because this books need to be in my hands NOW! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an e-copy!
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“We all nod. We get it. There’s no way to measure grief.”

I honestly don’t know what to say besides I ADORED this book. My heart broke in every imaginable way and was healed watching these characters on their journey. I felt their every pain, I laughed with them in their joy, and I was a crying mess multiple times. The Beauty That Remains is a stunning debut about grief, healing, and the things that bring us all together.

Things I Liked
EVERYTHING! (I’m not lying I loved everything about thi
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"Everything is different without you here. Especially me. But I’m starting to think that maybe that’s okay."

This was far from a perfect book. It was an obvious debut; well written and plotted but slow. It handles grief realistically and without rose-colored glasses. There was death in this book, but not to bring love interests together or to add dramatic tension (although it did both of those things at some point). It was painful and left you feeling the way the characters felt multiple times.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This book can simply be explained through one word in the title: a beauty. Except it's even more than solely beautiful. This novel was beautiful, emotional, meaningful, raw, honest, and realistic. Even with that list, it isn't enough to describe the pure masterpiece that was this story. Or stories.

First, this novel is filled with grief. I have to say that because as a reader, if you are in the midst of grief, it may not be the particular time to pick up this novel. It's an immensely hard and di
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Full review on The Candid Cover

The Beauty That Remains combines grief and music to create a poignant read. There are three different stories that all connect, and there is so much diversity in the book. While I liked all of the characters, Shay was my favourite, and her story touched me the most.
Janani
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oof. Oh my heart, my head, my everything has been put through the wringer with this book. Full review to come.

Update: First published on The Shrinkette

Thanks so much to Netgalley and Delacorte Press for providing me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warnings: Death of a sibling, death of a best friend, death of an ex-boyfriend, suicide, leukemia, alcoholism, mentions of drug dealing, marijuana use, death of a queer character.

Plot: Told from the perspective of three teenagers, all
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
I'll keep this brief

Pros

1. Timely discussion on grief and its effects on our youth. Timely and necessary, this book welcomes a discussion often ignored.

2. Diversity. LGBT characters (One main character, Logan, is gay; his ex-boyfriend, along with a smattering of minor characters); one black girl; one Korean-American girl; one Latino boy; multiracial characters scattered throughout the tale.

3. Well-written in mechanics.

However...

Cons:
1. A thin plot spread thinner via three perspectives. None of
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
THIS BOOK MADE MY HEART ACHE SO MUCH AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.
Acqua
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: aoc, db, contemporary, ya, no-chemistry, q, qm
The Beauty That Remains is a contemporary novel that follows three grieving teenagers brought together by art. It's a short, hard-hitting book, and while I loved its premise, sometimes I found the execution underwhelming.

Autumn is the first character we meet. She is a Korean-American adoptee who has recently lost her best friend in a car accident. Her chapters, unlike the other two PoVs, are written in email form to her dead best friend. This change in the narration took me out of the book many
lucie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, in-english
This book is about three main characters who lost someone close to each one of them and how are they dealing with their lost.

I wanted to love this book, I hoped it will be a sobfest because I was in a mood for crying over a book but that didn't happend. I got bored after the first half of the book and I kept forgetting which story is Autumn and which on is Shay's because they were slightly similar. I wasn't attached to any of the characters and I might sound like a cold hearted bitch but I foun
Erin Glover
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A beautiful book about how different teens react to the deaths of their friends and family members. Yes, it's depressing, but death is part of life. Each person somehow feels responsible for their friend or family member's death. By coming together through a shared passion, music, they find out the untrue stories they've been telling themselves and walk through their grief to the other side. Friendships form between enemies, passions ignite where only embers glowed, and guilt dissipates. One of ...more
Clare Snow
Apr 16, 2018 marked it as postponed-part-way-through  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music lovers
Despite loving this more than words itself, the characters' grief kills me every time I pick this up. I'm postponing at 50% until my head is in a better place.

The three narrators for the three POVs are particularly well done.
Stephanie (earlgreyreads)
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Beauty that Remains tells the story of three different teenagers, each dealing with grief over the recent loss of a loved one. For Autumn, it is her best friend Tavia who was in a car crash driving to a party. For Shay it is her twin Sasha, to Leukemia. Logan’s ex boyfriend and great love committed suicide. The three characters are connected to each other through the music of a band called Unraveling Lovely, but the focus is much more on how each person deals with their own grief and guilt, ...more
Ana
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC
SilverWolfReads
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am beyond broken.

I am shattered.

~

I received an eARC from Random House Children's through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

~

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE IN A WRITERS SLUMP?

LIKE A READING SLUMP BUT... FOR WRITING?

Generally, I'm the kind of person who likes to write my review for a book I've finished straight away, when my pain is still raw and my thoughts still completely hooked on that one book.

But right now, it's been 2 days since I actually finished The Beauty That Remains, and I'm still s
Sarah Lemon
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. <3
Jenny
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2018

This is a story following 3 MCs who have each lost someone close to them recently. Shay lost her twin sister, Sasha, to cancer; Autumn lost her best friend, Tavia to a horrible car crash; and Logan lost his ex-boyfriend and love of his life, Bram to suicide. This is a story about loss, grief, love, friendship, and family. And above all, music.

The story alternates between these 3 voices. Although they know each other through acquaintances and other instances, they are not close or talki
Lili  Marcus
WARNING: Grief, Depression, Suicide

Shay, Autumn and Logan have lost someone they love; Shay, her twin to Leukemia, Autumn, her bestfriend to an accident and Logan, his ex-boyfriend to an overdose.

In hindsight, I should've known better than to read this book. Given my ongoing battle with against depression, this isn't the right book for me but when I'm done reading I wasn't regretful at all. I'm fine so I think that's a good thing. Yes, I was left very emotional with the characters, not so much w
Kelly
This quiet YA read is a really lovely, though sad, exploration of grief and loss. It'll especially resonate for young readers who have a passion for music and the power for music to create meaning and feeling and connection.

Readers who need a plot arc will likely find this to be too slow, as it's far more about the characters and their feelings in the wake of profound loss than it is about a bigger story. But for readers who like emotionally complex reads, this will be a hit.
Ashley Woodfolk graduated from Rutgers University with a BA in English and her life-long love of books led her straight to the publishing industry. She's a member of the CBC Diversity Committee and markets books for children and teens. In her abundance of "spare" time, she writes contemporary YA. Indie movies, beer, books, and burgers are a few of her favorite things. She lives in Brooklyn with he ...more
More about Ashley Woodfolk

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Lying is the new language we speak. It's the only way we can talk at all.” 1 likes
“My heart’s beating.