Start by marking “Frogkisser!” as Want to Read:
Frogkisser!

Frogkisser!

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  3,970 ratings  ·  1,000 reviews
The last thing she needs is a prince. The first thing she needs is some magic.

Poor Princess Anya. Forced to live with her evil stepmother’s new husband, her evil stepstepfather. Plagued with an unfortunate ability to break curses with a magic-assisted kiss. And forced to go on the run when her stepstepfather decides to make the kingdom entirely his own.

Aided by a loyal
Published February 28th 2017 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Frogkisser!, please sign up.
Anne Beardsley All dogs on screen are just fine, and usually quite happy. The ones at the end who are mentioned missing ... well, it happens off screen, you didn't…moreAll dogs on screen are just fine, and usually quite happy. The ones at the end who are mentioned missing ... well, it happens off screen, you didn't know any of them personally, and it's mentioned in a single sentence that you could skip if you were reading it aloud.

Honestly, the dogs are sweet, delightful, magical, and can talk. It's probably a wonderful choice for a young dog-lover.

Weasels in this book aren't nearly as lucky.(less)
Pineapple Girl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  3,970 ratings  ·  1,000 reviews

Start your review of Frogkisser!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars for this MG/YA fantasy. Full review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Anya is an orphaned young princess, about twelve or thirteen years old, and a bookworm (as many of the best princesses in literature seem to be). She and her fifteen year old sister Morven are orphans under the dubious care of their stepmother, a botanist who is enthusiastic about plants but completely uninterested in and uninvolved with the girls, and Duke Rikard, their stepstepfather (which is what you get when
Stephanie
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me so much of Dealing with Dragons, which I loved. In the author's note, Nix thanks the children's fantasy masters and it's definitely clear he draws on them for inspiration, however, he not only adds his own unique spin but progresses the fantasy genre. The three major wins for me:

1) Not one but TWO dark-skinned women who are awesome and just living their lives being awesome. They're not slaves or former slaves, they're not villains, and they're not foreigners within the fantasy
Karen Whittard
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley, Publishers and Garth Nix for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On goodreads.com/karenwhittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

I am truely, truely gutted that I didn't like this book. I love nothing more then stories about princesses, talking animals, magical lands and far off places. Yes I am a 100% certified Disney
Zyra
dnf
its a cute book, really really cute book.
but the story is not middle grade, it should have been a picture book.
The Captain
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! So I have a wee bit of an obsession with Garth Nix and his wonderful stories. I love him so much that he was the featured author in me first broadside. I have read 25 of his novels. So when I heard he was writing this fairy tale I had to have it. Plus awesome cover.

In his "Acknowledgments" of this novel, Mr. Nix claims inspiration from "the works of Lloyd Alexander, Nicholas Stuart Gray, Diana Wynne Jones, Robin McKinley, and T.H. White." I don't know Nicholas Stuart Gray's
Elly
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightfully reminiscent of Dianna Wynne Jones.
Nigel
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley, arc
Briefly - Entertaining read about princesses and frogs that need kissing to transform them back to their old selves. Probably aimed at pre teen/early teen however a fun read at other ages.

In full
This book has all the ingredients for an entertaining modern day fairy story. It written by Garth Nix an author whose fantasy books for adults I am a fan of. There is an evil stepstepfather (not a misspelling) who is the Duke, Royal talking dogs and an apparently well balanced princess who needs to kiss
Mary Catelli
The adventures of Anya, a second princess, out to disenchant the prince whom her sister Morven had been in love with, until her stepstepfather had not only turned this prince into a frog, but produced another prince to lure Morven's heart away. (Not that that's too difficult.)

And he threatens to send Anya to school at a place so far away that she's in danger merely going there.

Fortunately, the failed sorcerer who is the librarian had a recipe for lip balm that makes other kisses effective. They
Erica
This one's a solid 3 for me.
The things I liked, I really liked but, man, did it get heavy handed at times.

Likes:
It's a traditional quest-based fantasy and I still love those. This one features 12-year-old Anya who is menaced by her evil step-stepfather and has to pick up the slack left by her ditzy, always-in-love older sister so winds up on a double quest: unfrog an ensorcelled prince and also save the kingdom. Everyone in the story keeps pointing out that things get done if you just take
Mandy
When I first found this book - I literally can't even remember how I did...I think it was on a blog? I'm not sure, but let's go back to the story - When I first found this book, I thought it sounded like an adorable fairytale book that would remind me of one of my favorite princesses, Tiana. And when I read a few of the first pages, it reminded me of one of my favorite cult classics: The Princess Bride. So of course, I had to pick up this Princess Bride meets The Princess and the Frog type book, ...more
Jeanne
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was OK; however this reader is a bit too old for fairy tales. Probably more appropriate for the 'tween market. There were a couple intriguing characters, but I need a bit more suspense than this story had to offer. 4 out of 10.
Sophie Crane
Well, now. Where do I start? I'm a die hard Old Kingdom fan, so when Frogkisser! popped up in the midst of the Old Kingdom revival, I honestly didn't pay it much notice. Who needs a fairytale when we've got Lirael on the go again, right?

Wrong! Frogkisser! is enchanting, and absolutely not a book to be overlooked. As well as being beautifully designed and illustrated, it is a thoroughly attention-grabbing tale. The pace is quick and exciting, the prose fantastical, and the dialogue is just
Audrey
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Ideal for middle-grade readers, this has all the feel of a traditional fairy tale. There's a bad guy who transforms people into frogs and other animals and quirky heroes and a princess sent on a Quest. Half-way through the book, the princess has made barely any progress on her quest, so the ending starting feeling rushed: She's supposed to overthrow the evil overlord, restore a bunch of frogs to human form, and reinstate justice and the rule of law through out the land -- all in the last 25 ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5

An engaging fantasy featuring intrepid young protagonists, sorcerers, magic wielders, talking animals and such. I think this book can be enjoyed by adults as well as children.
At some points I found it a bit heavy on the ‘lesson’ but it wasn’t obnoxious.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Allen & Unwin for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Any a, second princess of Trallonia, is perfectly happy hanging out in the castle library with her friend Gottfried and Ardent, one of the Royal Dogs. When her evil sorcerer stepstepfather turns Anya's older sister's true love into a frog, Anya is thrust, reluctantly, into a quest to collect ingredients for a magic lip balm to turn him back again.

Although Nix's work is often touted as YA, it fits just
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book because the Abhorsen series by Garth is one of my favorite series. We named our Afghan hound Mina Harker, but I almost maned her Lirael. The disreputable dog is one of my favorite characters from the literary world.

Frogkisser is very cute. An evil wizard turns his enemies into frogs. The protagonist is a very strong female with a loyal dog by her side. There’s a newt who isn’t actually a newt. A struggle for good to triumph over evil... and the herald angle is hilarious.

I
Alicia Huxtable
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
While this book is for ages 13-16 and up, I found it to be quite an amusing read. The language is perfect for the age it is directed at.
A princess goes on a quest with a royal talking dog and some transformed humans, all while her sorcerer stepstepfather is hunting her with his own transformed hunters. Rather amusing with a few laugh out loud moments
Andree
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is really charming. It's a great little story about a younger princess who inadvertently winds up on a quest when her evil sorcerer stepstepfather tries to take over her kingdom. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, really, but it's well written, and the world is well developed (kind of wish there were more books in this world). How can you not love a book that features a librarian with a case of frequently going owl?

It's also a nice twist on the whole "Princess kisses frog" trope.
Kate Forsyth
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A funny and charming subversion of the well-known ‘Frog Prince’ fairytale, Frogkisser! by Garth Nix tells the story of a bookish princess, an eager but clumsy puppy, and a whole host of young men turned into amphibians.

Princess Anya just wants to be left alone to study sorcery, but unfortunately her step-stepfather wants to take over the kingdom and so transforms any suitor for her big sister’s hand into a frog. Anya reluctantly sets out on a quest to gather the ingredients that will enable her
Steph Cuthbert
This was such a delightful book. I throughly enjoyed the quest, the subverted fairytale tropes, and the large cast of strong, independent and intelligent female characters. Frogkisser! is well suited to the younger end of the YA audience who are transitioning from MG. Having said that, I still found it thoroughly entertaining.
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
- #LoveOzYA
- fairytale-esque
- talking dogs (+ other animals)
- slow going
- subverted tropes
Jannah (Cloud Child)
4.5/5

Pretty darn awesome! Finally, after what feels like ages compared to my normal reading time, I got this done and dusted. Read via eBook, TTS of eBook and also audio book (with a particularly squeaky voiced actress which left a little to be desired, so I don't recommend the audiobook).

First of all, this book reminds me of a lot of my favourite middle grade fairytale/fantasy adventures which have heroines dealing with quests or dangerous tricky circumstances, such as Tuesdays at the Castle,
Magen
Probably more like 2.5 stars. It was fine, but I wasn't ever engaged in the story. It had a strong female, sort of feminist spin, which was nice. My biggest problem with the book is what was the point of the quest? Initially, it starts entirely as a sister promise, which was rather silly in the first place, but when it's apparent there will be an entire quest involved to fulfill the promise, and the sister has entirely moved on, why didn't the princess just be like, oh well, no more quest. As an ...more
Nara
Frogkisser was an adorable read that is likely better suited to younger readers. It had quite a fun plot, but at the same time it was relatively simplistic and didn't feel like there was a deeper message to be understood. It turned a lot of tropes around with a humorously dismissive spin, and as stated in the blurb "irreverent" is quite a nice adjective to describe the novel.

I haven't read Garth Nix's other Middle Grade novel, but Frogkisser is quite different from his other novels that I've
Oda Renate
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable read it got a teeny tiny bit well boring ish by the end there, so it gets a 4 and not 5 star rating.
Other than that loved the world, the characters, the humor, the villain was fun.
Also I noticed my copy was signed which was a fun suprise since I bought it from a used bookstore.
Also since I dident like Sabriel I was a bit unsure how I would like this book, but this is an example of an author who has great writing and as this plot and world was wonderful I had, as stated, a great
Lauren James
A nice and pacy read, with a great protagonist - and no romance! I love Anya - and Nix's best character trope, the loyal talking dog, makes another excellent appearance. This is a low middle grade read - aimed at 9 and over, I would say. I was expecting a little older, so didn't enjoy it as much as I could, but as always Nix is very funny. It's a great romp all round.
Nicola
Jun 21, 2017 added it
I love a good jnr fiction.... and this one didn't disappoint!

On her quest to turn her sister's crush from a frog back into a prince, Princess Anya discovers that her quest is bigger than she thought and her kingdom might just need her help.

A princess on a quest, facing danger, befriending strange beasts, and dabbling in magic. Animals that can talk, evil sorcerers, witches, wizards and princes. This book has it all!
Karen Mace
A light and fun read full of all of the best bits from fairytales! The author has had so much fun letting his imagination run riot with this adventure story that you can't help just smile while you're reading it and it's perfect for all ages!
The Enchanted Library
2.5/5 ...more
TheMadHatter
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

This is the first Garth Nix book I have read and it is in the vibe of Alice in Wonderland and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland meaning it is oh so clever and witty with its play on words and bizarre characters (I love Gerald the Heralds!).

As a taste of the writing....."She supposed that by their very nature, Good Wizards would be required to help questers like herself. Otherwise they'd be Bad Wizards. Unless, of course, the reference was to their skill at
Floral Tea Cups B...: "Frogkisser!" by Garth Nix 1 2 May 02, 2019 10:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incomplete ISBN13 and other details 2 12 Dec 30, 2018 02:37PM
NZ Intermediate S...: Frogkisser 1 14 Apr 02, 2017 11:49PM

• The Van Gogh Deception
  • How Lunchbox Jones Saved Me from Robots, Traitors, and Missy the Cruel
  • The Eureka Key (Secrets of the Seven, #1)
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • Forest of Wonders (Wing & Claw #1)
  • The Firefly Code
  • The Girl Who Could Not Dream
  • A Crack in the Sea
  • Curse of the Boggin (The Library, #1)
  • Ethan Marcus Stands Up
  • Anthem (The Sixties Trilogy, #3)
  • The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)
  • Well, That Was Awkward
  • Between Two Skies
  • Last Day on Mars (Chronicle of the Dark Star, #1)
  • Four-Four-Two
  • Short
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

“...I don't expect to need rescuing. I'm not that kind of princess.” 10 likes
“Cats never liked to admit to names. Being named might lead to being held responsible for something.” 6 likes