Start by marking “P.S. I Miss You” as Want to Read:
P.S. I Miss You

P.S. I Miss You

In this epistolary middle-grade debut novel, a girl who's questioning her sexual orientation writes letters to her sister, who was sent away from their strict Catholic home after becoming pregnant.

Eleven-year-old Evie is heartbroken when her strict Catholic parents send her pregnant sister away to stay with a distant great-aunt. All Evie wants is for her older sister to co
Published March 6th 2018 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about P.S. I Miss You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P.S. I Miss You

Kelly Hager
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING. I beta read two early versions and cannot wait to read the final. It's sweet and funny and wonderful.

ETA review of final, published version:

Jen told me that the final product was different and better from the two versions I'd read. (The second version was different and better from the first, but I was still very skeptical. How could this book be any better? Well. Somehow it is. (Witchcraft?)

This novel touches on almost everything in its 310 pages---friendship, family, faith
A. Ledger
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This gorgeous book will wreck you! But in a good way? I found Evie so relatable (and sweet). It's going to be life-changing for young LGB+ kids that have never seen themselves in a book before. The ending had me all teary, and I loved seeing a story that didn't come to a tidy little conclusion. This is a heartbreaking but hopeful (and true to life) story about a lesbian growing up in a strict, conservative household. Evie's character growth was perfect. I loved watching her come into her own!
Rachel Solomon
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I'd been eager for it since the deal announcement, and wow -- it blew me away. Evie's connection to her sister is so beautifully, authentically rendered, and I loved the epistolary format. This is a middle-grade novel that explores religion, sexual orientation, teen pregnancy, and so much more. I can't wait for kids who need it to discover it; I truly think it will hugely and positively impact so many young lives. P.S. I MISS YOU is an important, heartbreaking, boundary-pushin ...more
Jena
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, the first from Jen Petro-Roy, is a captivating and authentic story of a young girl as she writes letters to her sister about the issues of their lives. Evie's voice drives the action in a way that feels real and true, with the urgency and intensity of a young woman opening her heart to her older sister and confidante. I highly recommend this book and look forward to its formal publication so that I can share copies of it with the young adults - and not-so-young adults - in my life.
Pam
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been sitting on this review for a while because I am not entirely sure that my words will do the book justice. There are also a lot of feelings involved in this darling book and I will attempt to keep it together as I navigate those.

As a disclaimer, Jen Petro-Roy is a dear, dear friend and I have been waiting for this novel since she began the journey of bringing it to life. That aside, I can not imagine that my review would be any less sparkling if it were for a complete stranger.

What I
Laurie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level 3-6

5 out of 5 Stars!!!!!!

I don't even know where to start with this one! This book is so full of raw emotion that it will have you laughing one minute and crying the next. This is the story of Evie, a 12-year-old girl growing up in a very strict Catholic home. When her sister is sent away to live with their distant aunt because she got pregnant at sixteen, all Evie can do is write her letters. As Evie writes to her sister, Cilla, she tells her everything that is going on in her li
Carin
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book wrecked me. At fist, I just thought it was a sweet story, albeit around some deeper topics, but the end had me sobbing (and I am not an easy book crier.) Literally, I was reading in bed after my husband had gone to sleep and while I was able to be quiet, I had to get out of bed because I was sobbing so hard I was shaking the bed and I was afraid I would wake him up.

Cilla got pregnant in high school, and her parents sent her away to live with an aunt in Virginia, as they are super-Catho
Jenn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and beautiful, this book is an epistolary narrative from a younger sister to her older sister, Cilla, who has, we learn, been sent away from home by their very Catholic parents because she became pregnant as a teen.
However, we soon learn that there is more to the story, especially as our protagonist mixes her loneliness at losing her confidant and idol with her growing awareness of affection towards June, the new girl in school.
I loved this book for how Evie evolves and becomes m
Jenn Bishop
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, moving story celebrates the deep connection between sisters. Evie's letters to her older sister Cilla, sent away by conservative Catholic parents after becoming pregnant in high school, give such a detailed glimpse into the life and mind of the seventh grade protagonist. Evie's admiration for Cilla shines throughout, as well as the way she sees herself as akin to her sister -- is she a sinner in her parents' eyes, too, because she has a crush on her female friend, June? I loved f ...more
♡ Kim ♡
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picked up this Middle Grade book while looking at summer reading books for my 12-year old (I am a sucker for pretty covers and butterflies), and I was hooked from the first page to the last.
Cindy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been intrigued by the summary of Jen Petro-Roy's debut since I first read about it, and after the cover came out—well, how could I NOT snatch the chance to read it? ;) P. S. I MISS YOU didn't disappoint—Evie's voice is sweet and engaging, and her wrestle with her family, herself, and her faith are very relatable. I will say that it's probably one I would give more to kids at the upper end of the middle grade spectrum, as there's some serious gut-punch sadness in it (at a BRIDGE TO TERABITHI ...more
Amanda Rawson Hill
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Compulsively readable and extremely well written. I couldn't put it down. Some very intense subject matter and events that could be hard for sensitive children.
Katie Fitzgerald
P.S. I Miss You is about a young girl named Evie who is in seventh grade and missing her older sister, Cilla. Cilla, a high school student, is pregnant and has moved away to live with a great aunt until she gives birth, at which point she plans to give the baby up for adoption and enroll in a Catholic boarding school. Though her parents didn't exactly force Cilla to leave, they also haven't been at all supportive of her pregnancy, and Evie blames them for Cilla's refusal to answer her letters, o ...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I tore through this book. As Evie writes endlessly to her sister, I got more and more nervous about why Cilla wasn't really writing back. I needed to know the ending; I couldn't put it down. I was reading this while walking home from the bus stop.

This ended up being a little darker and more thorny than I was expecting, but I appreciated that. Evie questions her strict Catholic upbringing, and how it lead her parents to distance themselves from her sister. She is developing feelings for a girl.
Kelly
Dec 27, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
When Evie's sister Cilla gets pregnant, her parents send her away. Wouldn't want a pregnant, unmarried teen daughter miring their Good Catholic reputation. While Cilla's away, Evie writes her a series of letters. The letters not only document how much she misses her sister, but they document her understanding of herself, about growing up, and about a budding romance between herself and another girl. It's a pitch-perfect 11/12 year old voice and experience of independence.

But oh, how much I loat
Wendy
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book. Go get it now. I’ll wait. I don’t want to include spoilers, but I will say that I loved reading this epistolary novel because it was refreshing to know Evie’s thoughts in an uncensored way. I think this is one of those books that I will be thinking about for a long time to come.
Dylan
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-tbr
5 stars.

I enjoyed this SO SO much. If you want a middle grade version of PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER but with queer girls, this is for you.

(Representation: Lesbian mc, F/F relationship)
Katie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can't talk about this without major spoilers, so major spoilers behind the cut. (view spoiler)

The letter format didn't quite work. The beginning is VERY exposition-y, lie, "Dear sister, this is how you were away from from being pregnant." Pretty sure your sister already knows all that info
Wendi Lee
This is easily the best book I've read all year.

Evie's older sister, Cilla, goes away because she's pregnant (and their parents are strict and very religious). She leaves before Evie gets to say goodbye, so Evie begins to steadfastly write to her. Evie is in 7th grade and has so many questions- about why her parents wanted Cilla to go away, about religion and God, and about her own blossoming feelings for the new girl, June. And then, about why Cilla doesn't seem to want to come back.

This book
Theresa Milstein
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a snow day today, so I decided to read for awhile ... and wound up finishing the whole thing! This wasn't predictable. It was messy, complicated, heartfelt, and believable. I could've used this book when I was Evie's age, questioning religion, figuring out where I fit with friends and school, and realizing my parents were flawed. The author captures the age perfectly. For many middle-grade readers, this book can be both important mirrors and windows.
Barbara
In this powerful debut novel, seventh grader Evie is lost and confused in Massachusetts when her beloved older sister Cilla leaves without saying goodbye. While Evie knows that Cilla is pregnant and has been sent to stay with an elderly relative in Virginia so that no one outside the family knows about her condition, she still loves her sister and is trying to understand why she changed her mind about keeping the baby. Thus, she writes a series of letters to her sister. Although readers never ge ...more
Abby Johnson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Evie misses her big sister Cilla. Cilla did what no good Catholic girl does: she got pregnant and her parents sent her away to have the baby. Evie misses her sister and doesn't understand why Cilla won't write her back. Evie could really use Cilla's advice... because Evie's got her first crush... and it's on a girl.

This is a super sweet story that tackles a lot of big thoughts but in a middle-grade-appropriate way. Evie's starting to question a lot of things about her life, not least of which i
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why I Recommend Moving This UP On Your TBR:
I read this in one sitting because of how fast-paced and thrilling it was. Though the mystery isn't the most out of the box idea in the world, the way the author crafted it made it exciting and made me feel like I couldn't rest until I knew what happened. I also loved the way the author used the protagonist and the letters as a way to talk about religion and sexual orientation (separately and together). The lesbian representation was handled believably
Denise
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been wanting to write a review of this book for a few days, but this book just tore my heart apart and I’m not sure what to write to do this book justice. There was so much to this book that reminded me of my own upbringing in a religious family. I loved Evie’s letters and how vulnerable she was in them. I love that in this book, young girls who are questioning their feelings and discovering their sexuality, will have an ally.
Brad McLelland
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Longer review to come, but in short, this novel is exquisite and will DEFINITELY punch you in the heart and gut. Beautiful language written in the epistolary form — Evie’s voice is one you won’t easily forget. Suffice it to say, I’ll be reading this book again and sharing it with as many people as I can. And actually, it’s inspiring me to write more letters to my loved ones ...

I read an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Ashley  Marie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First I wanna say wow....this book was so amazing! I laughed I cried my heart was happy! I loved the letters Evie wrote to her sister Cilla it felt like she was writing to me instead
Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus
Evie is angry with her strict Catholic parents when they send her older sister Cilla to live with their aunt on her farm. Cilla has gotten pregnant, is going to give away the baby, and will go away to boarding school afterwards. Her aunt has no internet, so Evie decides to write her letters, even when Cilla doesn't respond. At eleven, Evie is going through changes with friends and attitudes, and seeks her sister's advice and support. Evie's old friends are becoming more
Jessica Smith
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I wish I had liked this more... just...certain things caused SO MUCH frustration.
Kelly Gunderman
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

***Actual Rating: 4.5/5 Stars***

P.S. I Miss You was probably one of the most heartwrenching books that I have read not only so far in 2018, but all time. It was a tearjerker, it was inspirational, and it was so beautifully written and emotionally gripping that I couldn't put it down and read the entire book in a single sitting.

Books that revolve around family are my favorite books -
Kelsey Buckley
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, middle-grade
Thank you Netgalley for the E ARC.

This book is done entirely in letters - primarily written from Evie to her sister Cilla. Between the letter format and the rather outdated and extreme focus on the shame of being pregnant outside of marriage, I just don't see an audience for this book in my library. I guess I'm having a hard time imagining that some of the events in the story (such as sending a pregnant daughter away and hiding her pregnancy) would realistically happen today, but maybe I'm wrong
Jen Petro-Roy is the author of the middle grade contemporary novel P.S. I MISS YOU (releasing by Macmillan/Feiwel and Friends in Fall 2017). Jen is a teen librarian who lives with her husband and two daughters in Massachusetts.