Start by marking “Mad For Love (Highland Brides Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Mad For Love (Highland Brides Book 1)

Mad For Love

(Highland Brides #1)

From acclaimed author Elizabeth Essex comes an irresistible prequel novella introducing the Highland Brides, a quartet of bold, brilliant lasses determined to make their own happily ever afters.

Set a thief…
Rory Cathcart’s appreciation of the exquisite makes him the perfect man to expose forgeries and root out fraud in London’s tempestuous art world. But when his latest
Published March 26th 2016 by ERB Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mad For Love, please sign up.
Elizabeth Essex This book will be FREE at all major retailers on 4/5/16—it's a present for my readers who have waited so long for another book. Wishing you happy…moreThis book will be FREE at all major retailers on 4/5/16—it's a present for my readers who have waited so long for another book. Wishing you happy reading. Cheers, EE(less)

Start your review of Mad For Love (Highland Brides Book 1)
Jill
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Marie (Mignon) du Blois and her father, Charles has fled Paris and the upheavals of the French Revolution and settled in London. To support them, her father, a forger of fine art, fobs off replicas on to unsuspecting and clueless English buyers. Mignon, afraid he will be caught and jailed, continually tries to talk him into giving up his vice. To no avail.

Rory Cathcart is a specialist in art forgeries for Christie's. When he hears of Charles du Blois' latest forgery, he sets out to
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ by: Christina Brunette Reader
I'm glad, yes glad,to see someone has given this novel a 1 rating. It can be a lonely feeling to be the only one who doesn't like a book.

The jacket Mad For Love by Elizabeth Essex should have given me a clue this wasn't going to be my sort of book but I have read & loved other historical novels with dubious , shall we say, covers. This certainly doesn't say eighteenth century French émigrée to me!

& I enjoyed the start with Mignon & her father very much. They sparkled together. The story went downhill for me from
Becca
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this novel at a reader event and I must say, the trade back of this is gorgeous in person (and a perfect addition to my bookshelf!)

I have been in a reading funk and Mad for Love was got me out of it. This is a gentle novella with a little bit of suspense that somehow manages to stay bubbly and entertaining throughout. I took my time with this story and only read a chapter or two a day (again...reading funk); while I was always able to put the book down because of its easygoing pace,
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Mad For Love by Elizabeth Essex is a really sweet, funny and all around great book.
Mignon du Blois’ has a father that is a con-artist, French art forger and scoundrel.
Rory Cathcart has hear that du Blois’ has made a forgery that Rory is investigating. Rory likes to expose forgeries and end fraud in London. Rory goes undercover at du Blois by acting as a thief. While setting off to find the painting he is
Zoe
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First one must correctly categorize this book, then one may appropriately review this book.

This book is so very cute with its smart writing and poignant characterization. Rory and Mignon are too cute. I really enjoyed Elizabeth Essex's writing. So......classically and elegantly smart.

But this book is not a romance romance, per se. It's a historical fiction with a romance element. Most of the book centers around art forgery and theft. If I was rating on my personal feelings, it would have been 2
Caz
I've given this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars

I was pleased to learn that Elizabeth Essex would be publishing a new series of historical romances, as I’ve enjoyed her work in the past and have missed seeing her name on lists of forthcoming releases. Her new, Highland Brides series kicks off with Mad for Love which is either a short novel or a long novella - depending how you want to look at it – and which, she tells us in her notes, is one of the first things she ever wrote.

It’s an enjoyable ‘
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

3,5 Stars

As stated in the author's foreword, this novella, besides being one of her earlier works, is an homage to William Wyler 1966 comedy How To Steal a Million (starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole) and is just as much a humorous romantic romp revolving around the art world.
In 1790 London, French expat Mignon Du Blois spends her days desperately trying to contain her father's enthusiasm in producing forgeries of the Old Masters and while the "trade" seems to have gone quite smoothly
Tracy Emro
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a honest review**

I really liked this book, but it was unlike any Elizabeth Essex book I have ever read (and I have read them all). This book was very light reading.

Marie aka Mignon is the daughter of a French art forger - her father is a complete scoundrel (albeit a lovable one). His latest forgery has been brought to the attention of our hero Rory Andrew Cathcart (he is the illegitimate son of a Scottish earl) -
Toula
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First in a new series . Historical Regency. Hero is Rory . Heroine is Migoin .
This is just like the rest of Elizabeth books . Funny , playful but with a touch of mystery .
Rory and his 3 friends like to play detective . They go through things looking for Scams. They think they are on to something .
Migoin and her father left worn torn France and settled in England . Migoin father has no money but he know how to make money and nobody will be the wiser of it . Actually his father did the scam
Suzannah
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mad for Love is the first book in the Veiled Seduction Series by Elizabeth Essex. I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. It started off a little slow at first, but then took off at rapid speed. I read the entire book in one afternoon. I couldn’t put it down. I laughed out loud so often that I disturbed others around me. And the heat between the hero and heroine is almost scorching at times.
“Because his kiss made her want to close her eyes, the better to feel the extraordinary experience of his
Laura Bang
Quick and fun historical romance based on the plot of the movie How to Steal a Million. :) Soooo many typos, though. :(
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE

This, an introductory novella to a new series, is my favourite thing I’ve read by this author so far. I liked the original plot, I liked the slightly earlier (1790s) setting, and I liked that the characters were a teeny bit below the usual social standing of historical romance characters. I also liked that sex scenes weren’t stuffed in where they didn’t fit!

The last time I read a book by Elizabeth Essex I was a bit angered by a weird political message threaded through the
Joann Maggio
Mad for Love Written by Elizabeth Essex

A rather cute novels about a seemly art savvy family the du Blois and their pension for art forgery.

The theme of the book was quite unusual and certainly caught my attention immediately. Mignon du Blois knew her father Charles had been forging and selling his paintings as originals by the old masters for years.

Rory Andrew Cathart is the by-blow of an Earl has been sent to school and become quite the professional authenticator of fine art work.

I did enjoy
Amanda
3.5 stars!

If you’ve seen How to Steal a Million, which I have, and loved it, which I do, Mad for Love won’t hold many surprises plot-wise but it sure was a fun, romantic read. The Georgian era setting combined with charming leads and effervescent dialogue helped distinguish this retelling of the classic 1966 film. Although I have to say I think Rory and Mignon made much better use out of the infamous museum broom closet.

Major bonus points also must be given to Elizabeth Essex for featuring a
Lyuda
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian

Retelling of 1966 romantic comedy "How to Steal a Million".
If you've seen the movie, you pretty much know the plot. If you've not seen it, reading the novella would surely make you want to watch the movie.

Set in 1790, there is almost nothing historical in the novella whether in behavior, language, or social customs. So, if historical accuracy is important for you, I would suggest to skip the story. But if you can overlook it, there is much to enjoy in this quick, sweet, engaging, and
Diane K. Peterson
A charming little book! Great setup for conflict -- Mignon's father creates and sells beautifully done art forgeries and Rory is building a career as an art expert that detects forgeries. There is some delightful dialogue between Rory and his friends and between Rory and Mignon. The whole book was cute and fun. The resolution was a little too simplistic, but overall it was a great read.
Shelley
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2016, historical
Psycgirl
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. This was not for me. It was funny at times, which was its only saving grace. I found that it was hard to suspend disbelief on this one. Dialogue at times really took me out of the story.
Karen
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I nabbed A Fine Madness off of NetGalley and then, of course, realized that it's the third in a series and went to grab the other two. I am so glad that I did!

1. Mad For Love
Publisher: ERB Publishing (March 26, 2016)
First Line: Marie Chantal Amelie du Blois never felt more French than when she was in London.

Marie (Mignon to friends and family) is the daughter of Charles du Blois who, much to her dismay, is a master art forger. It's 1790 and the two live in London, largely on the money he has
Anoia
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick little novella, Mad for Love is basically a Regency rewrite of the movie 'How to Steal a Million.'

Almost a scene for scene rewrite.
It's a great movie, the retell is sweet but I found it hard to pay attention to as I know the movie so well and I just kept comparing the two.
If you have watched the movie and wished for the under the stairs make out session to be more graphic and longer, than do I have good news for you!

There are a few mentions of the hero's friends, but very little said about
carrietracy
This was really a case of misplaced expectations. I didn't know going in that it was more of a novella than a full book (~150pages) so I was a bit surprised at how quickly things wrapped up. And having read the second book in the series I was also surprised at the romance in this one (not that there was one, but rather how it was written, very differently). So it was fine, but I was expecting something quite different.
Christine Jackson
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute

Story of love and lies and theft and art fraud...if you’re into that sort of thing. One element that felt missing was the direct consequences of theft and copied art. The ending felt hurried. I would like to have seen more suffering of the consequences. BUT...it’s still a well written story. Yes I would recommend for a nice park side reading.
Marina Leonard
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella, as an introduction to her Highland Brides series is one of the funniest books I have read. The witty conversation between hero and heroine is just wonderful. Heroine hires hero to help steal something. The escapade they went through,you could just picture it in your mind, like you were there at that time. Looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Ninette
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful

A charming read, cheeky and delightful in dialogue. An original storyline and quite an interesting perspective of this time period. Rory has such an interesting profession (and enjoyable character) that I would enjoy reading adventures of this “gentleman thief” and his lovely French accomplice.
Janis Giblin
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Great story! Love the intrigue and how they managed to steal the counterfeit statue. It was ultimately a good story.
Kelsey
Not very believable, tbh.
Mary
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little fluff!
Spandana
Dull in the extreme.
Evelyn Goldman
Sweet with good pacing... especially important in a novella. Their interest was totally believable even if the heist got a bit confusing in the dark.
Melissa
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2016 10:13AM

• A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • Guarding the Countess (The Scandal Sheet, #5)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • The Rogue to Ruin (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #3)
  • The Spitfire (Wicked Wallflowers, #5)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • Mountain of Lies (The Pack Book 1)
  • Knowing His Secret (Year of the Billionaire, #1)
  • Rescued By a Lady's Love (Lords of Honor, #3)
  • Tempted by a Lady's Smile (Lords of Honor #4)
  • The Forgotten Painting
  • A Rogue Meets a Scandalous Lady (Mackenzies & McBrides, #11)
  • Reclaimed (Fire and Ice, #1)
  • When the Marquess Was Mine (The Wagers of Sin, #3)
When not re-reading Jane Austen, sipping tea or mucking about her garden, Elizabeth Essex can be found at her computer, making up wonderful stories about people who live far more interesting lives than she.
Elizabeth Essex

It wasn’t always so. Elizabeth graduated from Hollins College with a BA in Classical Studies and Art History, and then earned her MA from Texas A&M University in Nautical

Highland Brides (4 books)
  • Mad About the Marquess (Highland Brides, #2)
  • A Fine Madness (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Marry (Highland Brides, #4)