Start by marking “Starship Mine” as Want to Read:

Starship Mine

James Patterson is a gay accountant living in Keyes, Oklahoma-deep in the Bible Belt-the religious heartland of America. He's also the first person to make contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence seeking to understand our world, and that makes him the most important person on the planet.
Published March 14th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Starship Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starship Mine

Montzalee Wittmann
By: Peter Cawdron
Narrated by: Jeff Cummings
This is a book I thought about for days after I listened to it. I still think about it. I like books like that, books that are so good, I roll it around to savor it again and again. What if 99% of the people you know had the very exact dream you did last night. It was on the news, all across the USA, the world. All the details, the same. It was of a planet. Well, everyone had the dream but you. Then you had the dream while awake, and it did
Colby
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need more stars. Five is not enough for this powerhouse of a story. There is a ton of raw emotion packed into this novella, and the characters are beyond wonderful. Starship Mine really hit a chord with me, and I think it might be Cawdron's best work to date. I don't want to spoil anything, so I will say, generally, this story is all about love and equality. Humanity has a long way to go still, but we are at least moving in the right direction. I wholeheartedly recommend this story to everyone ...more
Duane
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing story, but I'm left sad that I'll never experience what James did.
David Bunch
Overall I enjoyed the story. It kept my interest throughout. I liked the ending that for its satisfaction for the story and still wanting more.

The writing style was very good but had the feel of a new writer that will get better with more books. The writing did not distract from getting into the story.

I liked the flow of the story with the excel of a key element (no spoiler) happened too quickly considering its importance on the book.

I gave it 3 stars but know that with more experience the autho
Jason
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Cawdron has always written wonderfully character driven stories, but Starship Mine is a whole new experience.
It is said often that Cawdron’s work is one of those that you just buy because you know it's going to be good, regardless of what he has written, but on this occasion, Starship Mine should be purchased because it is possibly one of Cawdron’s best pieces of writing ever,
This is an exceptional short story, a brilliant piece of science fiction writing, interweaved with a fascinating
Leigh Holland
Starship Mine by Peter Cawdron, 115 pages, March 12th, 2016, Genre: Science Fiction/First Contact. Warning: May Contain Spoilers.
Starship Mine is the story of a human being making first contact with an alien civilization. It’s also the story of a gay couple living in the Bible Belt, raising two foster kids. Casey and James love each other, even though they’re temperamentally quite different. Their kids, Angela and Robbie, are also well-loved and return that love. In fact, one of their greatest
Sandra
Hmm, this was interesting, though turned out to be very different than I was expecting and I can’t really decide if I actually liked it.

I understand the ideas they wanted to convey but I felt a little betrayed with the twist and I’m not sure it really holds water (view spoiler) This was just a bit too heartbreaking for me.

A story should be complete, and an epilogue should add
Eugene Galt
This book provides an interesting twist on first contact and uses it to convey a message about the need to accept our differences, a message with which I certainly agree. However, the author expresses the message in a heavy-handed way that relies too heavily on telling rather than showing and that uses such clichés of science fiction as Socratic irony through discussions with aliens and the outcast who turns out to be the most important person, as well as SJW buzzwords that get in the way of tak ...more
Autumn Shelley
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great work!!

So glad I found this ‘new to me’ author! Thoroughly enjoyed this. The editing was flawless, the story engaging and the material was a nice fresh approach to what contact might look like. I liked Jay, I found him to be a relatable human just trying to make sense of his experience while also trying to function in his everyday life. I will definitely seek out more work by this author and would highly recommend this as a quick, well written read.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Exceptional.

The author, Peter Cawdron, never ceases to amaze me with his stories, but this one is exceptional.
Not only because of the storyline, or the characters, but because of the deeper messages within it.
About us as a species.

See my review also at:

Thistle
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Earth, current time, current reality. One night everyone on the planet has the same dream (about an alien world)... everyone on the planet except one man.

The story is about that one man, a gay man living in the Bible Belt in the American South.

Everything about the story should have worked for me, except wow did I hate the main character. I hated his voice. I hated how he acted. DNF
Jeff
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just recorded the narration for this unique and thought-provoking science-fiction novella. It's a very moving and unusual tale, and I am hunting down other works from this superb, Australian author.
D
Wow! This was soooo good. Puts life into perspective. Respect one another. Embrace differences, diversity. You never know what you will find in someone. The people that we shun may be the same ones that will be there for us in our time of need.

"We Are Made of Star Stuff"-Carl Sagan
Patrick
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and stunning

I really liked how it used science and life to tell a story. True science fiction that kept me involved and wanting to get to the next page without missing a word.
Emilio Collar
Ok story

It is a nice story but it takes too long to evolve and too many pages devoted to emotional feelings and family relationships that detracts from the story after all is science fiction not a story about human relationships.
Jerry Cashman
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting

Really enjoyed this. Great to read stories with such positive uplifting messages about first contact. No guns, no bombs, just people and civilisations. Great.
Sean Randall
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellently written and very much enjoyed. But James Patterson? Couldn't we have had a less known name?
Alexander Collas
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful short story. The imagery was beautiful and the story concisely and expertly told. Well worth the read.
Mike Pluta
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a thought provoking story with a profound message for all of us.
Ann237
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Journey

Dreams are never had without the power to make them come true! Great story, thanks for the journey. Looking forward to reading more of your work.
Paula Mcgrath
I wrote a detailed review on secular humanism and good writing and it got erased. Point is, great novel. Covers many aspects of sci-fi often left out by others.
Brian Turner
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The positives: Really nicely written, and great emotional depth.
The negatives: Felt more like a long short story than a short novel, which didn't fully satisfy in terms of story arc.
Steven
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story but well written. Very enjoyable.
Terri Jones
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just, go read this. It's short, and weird (I expect this from Mr. Cawdon) and then... Ah.

Then.

Go on. Trust me, read this one.
Kristin Davis
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

I read a lot of books and I found this one very interesting. It is short but I liked it will recommend it to my friends
Selinalynn
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but effective

It may be a short piece, but it's chock full present humanity. If you have a bit of time to spare give this story a shot.
Andy Coleman
A SIMPLE MAN'S REVIEW:

I loved the beginning of this book: everyone has the same dream about a blue planet. It reminded me of Flashforward when the whole world passed out and saw a glimpse of the future. And although in Starship Mine, the vision was much less incendiary, there was still the fun feel of everyone trying to figure out what happened.

Then of course something remarkable happens and then something bad happens - you know, the typical narrative pattern. The ending, which comes quickly, h
Lisa Hapney
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this novella from the author and it was just what I needed to drag me out of my reading slump. I enjoyed the start with the mysterious blue planet and the worldwide dream, but what really kept me engaged was the main character's journey. This story got better and better as I read and it made me a little sad when it ended.

I had been looking for a book that would fully hold my attention and fortunately this one did. It would be wonderful if you could explore in books they way
Tina Hsu
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a good, if short, alien contact story. The characters were ok, but I still didn't really connect with them. Also, I feel a bit of bait-and-switch going on here. To say more would involve spoilers. Overall, I didn't find the ending very satisfying.
Donna Foster Myer
Like the Best Surprises- You need to discover this yourself!

Great writing by a magnificent mind pursuing a most fundamental question. This book - and it's afterward - will follow you for a long time after you finish reading it - for it is the thinking that matters.

• The Disciples of Goedric: A Trilogy
  • Bonds of Fire
  • Tommy's Blind Date
  • Fortunate Soul (Soul Reader, #3)
  • Potato Surprise (Brimstone #0.5)
  • Hidden Love (The Hidden Series, #4)
  • Close Encounters
  • Massacre'ade Party
  • Promised Valley Rebellion
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • A Boy in Barcelona
  • Wes and Kit (Steampunk Mystery #1)
  • This Charming Man (Queen City Boys, #1)
  • Love Like We Do - Side A (Love Like We Do #1)
  • Time Up (Station One, #1)
  • Truth in Lace (Desires Entwined #3.5)
  • Bad Boy: Naughty at Night (Bad Boy: Naughty at Night #1)
  • Tales from the Loon Town Cafe
“Email, Facebook, Twitter—all those false prophets of contrived importance—they can wait. Any urgency they have is artificial. Besides, I’ve had my fill of cat videos this week.” 2 likes