Start by marking “Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 2: The Death Card” as Want to Read:
Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 2: The Death Card

Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 2: The Death Card

(Hellboy in Hell #2)

After facing off for a second time against the Vampire of Prague, Hellboy, dead and in Hell, comes down with a fatal illness and seeks the help of an incompetent team of doctors. As he explores the geography of Hell, learning little from a confused pair of mapmakers, Hellboy gets a glimpse of the new World Tree that he helped to create, stands accused by his own sister of ...more
Published October 5th 2016 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 2

Chad
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Begins with some typical stand alone feeling stories with Hellboy encountering a bunch of weirdness. But the series ends with Hellboy going out with a whimper, not a bang. It's fitting given Mignola's writing style but I can't help feeling a bit let down after reading the book for 25 years.

Received an advance copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Sam Quixote
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
What the demon doo-doo happened to Hellboy? It used to be a killer series and slapping him in Hell to fight the Devil and shit should be a slam dunk, right? And yet it sucked. Ah, nertz.

So even though he’s dead Hellboy’s gone from putzing around Earth to putzing around Hell, fighting old characters from his past like the Vampire of Prague and his Mexican vampire wife for no reason - rack up the page count I guess? After Hellboy’s done punching them, some vague nonsense happens and it’s over. Ba
Paul E. Morph
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whoa. I'm going to need some time to process that.

Review to follow, probably after re-reading all of Hellboy In Hell in one sitting...

****************************************

Well, I've just re-read all ten issues of Hellboy In Hell back-to-back and I think I loved it even more than I did originally reading it as each issue came out.

What a phenomenal book! Both Mike Mignola and Dave Stewart produced the best artwork of their careers here... It's simply breathtaking. The only other comicbook I can
Sud666
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
So Hellboy goes to Hell and engineers the death of the major Lords of Hell and kills Satan. That was volume one. This is volume two.

This is the setting for Hellboy as he journey's through Hell. It is a strange journey though Hell, as it struggles to come to grips over the fall of its great powers. But not all of the powers are gone-some are trying to retain power. In many ways we see a reverse of the Hellboy prophecy-instead of destroying Earth he will end up destroying Hell. It is an interestin
Artemy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warning, spoilers for the main Hellboy series and for this volume ahead!

(view spoiler)
Rick
What happens when you get dealt the Death Card?

I've been reading Hellboy since the very first issue. Twenty-Five years ago? Wow. I never thought I'd still be reading his exploits after all this time. Back then, a character like Hellboy was kind of a novelty act. Only characters at one of the "Big Two" publishers ever had that kind of longevity. Well, that was the way the world was ... BH. Before Hellboy. Mike Mignola created a character so endearing (and enduring) that his fans are legion.

One
mangaman
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Very disappointing ending to Hellboy In Hell. Mignola's art is beautiful as always, but unfortunately the ending felt very anticlimactic. I was expecting something more epic. Hellboy In Hell was honestly a let down.
Ill D
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wannabe Gentlemen and Scholars
Largely continuing the legacy of its predecessor, even less makes sense. Diabolical battles rage, Hell’s fury (seemingly) froths over, and Hellboy continues his endless trek throughout the underworld. Not to mention a continual bevy of references, no matter how learned, only convolute things further.

Whatever you do, just don’t go into this expecting a story that makes a lick of sense.

Just enjoy the fireworks.
Miroslav
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Mignola's art, great writing and excellent atmosphere - together, they make a truly unique comic book. I really enjoyed every single Hellboy story, but I got the impression that Mignola started to get lost in his own ideas. I would say it's the author's attempt to make the story even bigger, more "epic". This is nice, but it introduced a whole new set of problems, mostly when it comes to the storytelling - I had the impression that the story was blown out of proportion and became too complicated ...more
Jacob
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Sadly this is the end of the Hellboy storyline it seems! Although MM seems open to possible future stories... fingers crossed. As it is though this was wonderful. The art is gorgeous. Excellent end to an amazing saga.
Wing Kee
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fitting end to one of the best comic book series (IMO) of all time.

World: What can I say about the art, it's peak Mignola and Stewart, the contrast of colors the panels the tone from the colors, it's just perfect. The world building was also phenomenal coming full circle with all the pieces that we've had since Seed of Destruction. I don't want to say anymore. If you've reached here that means you've read all the other HB and this is the culmination.

Story: Melancholy, character driven and jus
Tim Nowotny
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for series endings, so take my praise with a grain of salt.
From my point of view, this was an incredible well made ending as it gives itself time to progress naturally. There are some goodbyes and even a big fight that came out of nowhere for me (again, off paced storytelling) but what really shines to me are the last pages. It was surprising, shocking, well earned, sense making.
Ashley
An interesting ending for Hellboy. I'm sad that it is ending but it can't go on forever, especially since he has been dead for a while. Overall I loved this series and want to read Abe Sapian and the BRPD comics.
John
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All things to nothingness descend.
Spencer
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The art is just stunning, the story thoughtful and subtle, and I couldn't think of a more fitting end for Hellboy.
Jared Millet
And so it ends. For Hellboy, life in hell was much as life on earth: getting into really big fights with really big monsters. Since he's in hell, he gets to meet (and beat up again) a few of the monsters he sent there himself earlier in the series. This whole volume feels a bit like Neil Gaiman's chapter on Ragnarok from Norse Mythology - a bunch of boxes get checked, then a really big fight that escalates beyond the bounds of human comprehension. Hellboy was always going to end the world. Wha ...more
Pinkerton
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hellboy-bprd
English (but not so good) / Italiano
The very last one volume, more weird than good, and you don’t understand if there is a true conclusion… It seems that not even Mignola know it…

Italiano
Ultimissimo volume, più strano che buono, e non si capisce se ci sia una vera conclusione… sembra che nemmeno Mignola lo sappia…
Angela
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I enjoy that this graphic novel has less people working on it. Mignola writes the story and draws the art. The only other guys working on it color and letter it. I miss this original feel.
I wish Hellboy were out of hell. I miss him being around the other characters. They should have him go through some transformation, like Abe, and return with a new purpose and questions. My favorite story in this volume is the last one. I enjoy the characters drawn as puppets.
Brandon St Mark
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.75 stars.

A little dissapointing in that there wasn't a very clear storyline, just a collection of vignettes really, but still interesting. I think this was Mignola's artsy-fartsy trapse through hell, which was cool, but not quite up my alley. Still, I enjoyed reading it, just wish there had been a mor coherent storyline.
Baal Of
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
And so it ends. It took me a bit to figure out what was really going on, and I'm still not sure I actually understand it, but I do like the bleakness and emptiness of the ending.
L.R. Diaz
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Nicholas Driscoll
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know, I liked this one more than the last one, but I still can't say I loved it. I still can't say, "Gosh, what a great story." I enjoyed some of the quirky bits. As much as I kind of complained about HB's lack of character progression in the last book, I do like that he has that sort of quippy, down homey heart.

But I still found the story unfulfilling, unimpressive. I did appreciate that they went back and tried to explain a bit more about how it came about that HB killed Satan (appare
Leila Anani
Normally I'm a big fan of Hellboy but I really wasn't feeling this one.
It follows Hellboy's adventures in Hell as he defeats Satan and brings about the downfall of Pandemonium - which should be freaking awesome and just... isn't.

Like with the Lost Army I think part of the reason this doesn't work for me is that this takes Hellboy out of his element and has him on his own without the supporting characters to act as a foil for his sarcastic wit. There's no Abe, Liz, professor Bruttenholm and no N
Anchorpete
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
QUALITY OF ART (Out of 10) 10 -- Always, for Hellboy

QUALITY OF DIALOGUE (Out of 10) 8---- I am going to repeat what I always say, with Hellboy and BPRD it is not the sharp dialogue that makes the books so great, instead it is what is conveyed in the panels without dialogue.

STAND OUT ASPECT OF BOOK- I think Hellboy in Hell has been the most experimental of all the books in the Hellboy universe, the most avant gard. With comics, you have to make sure that there is enough tissue, in each of the pan
Joseph R.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hellboy's strange journey through Hell continues as he faces old nemeses and his fate. He staunchly rejects any attempt to put himself on Hell's throne and winds up fighting whoever wants to takes that place. Some of his battles are more personal (against demons he sent back to Hell from Earth during his B.P.R.D. days). His journey is both discovery and destruction, leaving Hell in a fantastic shambles by the end.

Setting aside the theological dubiousness of what's going on (Satan is dead and Hel
Cale
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume feels like Mike Mignola is cleaning up the dusty corners of the Hellboy universe, turning up loose ends and tying them together to give some semblance of closure. But it really goes out with a whimper, as the denizens of Hell seem to dissolve away like sea foam and leaving Hellboy wandering in the dark. There is a big battle sequence, but it is presented in silence and is oddly unaffecting.
Hellboy has always sort of stumbled through most of his encounters, and does the same here in a
K De
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fitting conclusion to the life and death of Hellboy. It is in the realm of Hell that has fallen. It is the ending of a journey that was set into motion so long ago. All things must end. This is a very satisfying conclusion to Hellboy. Whatever may come from the Hellboy universe afterwards by the creators remains to be seen. Read it then give a mighty shout out and salute to Mike and his mighty creation.
George
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hellboy: The Lost Army
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • The Autumnlands, Vol. 2: Woodland Creatures
  • Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • The Goon, Volume 7: A Place of Heartache and Grief
  • Northlanders Book 1: The Anglo-Saxon Saga (Northlanders, Book 1)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 6: Secrets Kept
  • Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection, Book 2
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Control Freaks (Zombillénium #3)
  • Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson
  • Black Dog: The Dreams of Paul Nash
  • Injection, Vol. 2
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 9: The Unwritten Fables
  • Blood: A Tale
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 3: Calamari Rising
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Omnibus 1
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy in Hell (2 books)
  • Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 1: The Descent