Start by marking “Let Me Fly Free” as Want to Read:
Let Me Fly Free

Let Me Fly Free (Fated Stars 0.2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Fire fears nothing. And Elaia is about to show her world that she doesn’t, either.

Like the rest of her kind, fire nymph Elaia is bound to her homeland, a forest whose borders were closed centuries earlier in a peace agreement between the humans and the enchanted creatures of the Terrestrial Realm.

But her heart is as restless as the flames she casts, and she secretly yearns
Published July 5th 2016 by Glass House Press

To ask other readers questions about Let Me Fly Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Me Fly Free

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Woah! So many different types of fairy like creatures in this story! I did not expect that at all! And our main character! Elaia! She is a fire nymph! Can't say that I have ever read a story before this one where it features a fire nymph!

In Let Me Fly Free we are following along with Elaia as she tries to discover what unnatural and horrible creature has broken past the barriers that the unicorns have set up around her home to keep it safe. She discovers it's presence quite on accident, and she
Aneesa
I received a copy of this book in an exchange for an honest review, thanks to Glass House Press

I am in turmoil on how to feel about this book, on one hand I am fantasy lover and I love this type of genre, on the other, I am in doubt on how to feel about Elaia.

Elaia is a fire nymph, trapped between the borders of Kristakai, longs to explore what's out there. Her powers are limited and created from unicorn magic. Cyim, her Terrine Father, is one of the seven unicorns who has celestial powers and i
Claudie Arseneault
Really enjoyed this. I often hear people looking for headstrong women protagonists who'll do whatever they need to get their way, and Elaia certainly fits. The narration does have some "not like other girls" threaded into it, but there are moments where Elaia's actions are so unlikeable you can only think *thank god* not everyone's like that. That balanced it out for me, and left me with a refreshing protagonist and a fun story.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“I’ve grown so accustomed to her presence, I’d forgotten it was there.”

I wasn’t sure I was going to write a review for Mary Fan’s Fated Stars novella, Let Me Fly Free, but I’d written down that quote as I read it regardless. It just seemed to sum up so much in my life right now. I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy and had the piece of paper where I jotted it down taped to my desk for weeks before I decided to go ahead and write this review. That quote kept speaking to me...

I must admit t
Jessica
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: http://www.maryfan.com/let-me-fly-fre...
Let Me Fly Free is the second novella in the Fated Stars series, but I can assure you that it reads excellently as a standalone. I can also assure you that you'll want to read the first novella as soon as you've finished, so perhaps you'll want to get both at the same time! As a lover of all things Fantasy related, it's always a joy to find a novella that is able to immerse me just as well as most of the tomes that I generally read. Mary Fan's writing did just that.

This story introduces us to El
Carrie White
this book... wow. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the world, but I've worked on the first novella in this series--Tell Me My Name--and the characters just won't let me go. In this story we meet another character--Elaia--who is absolutely, wonderfully, less than perfect. She's selfish, impulsive, a bit manic, and definitely doesn't think through what she's doing...

And oh do I love her for it. Authors in this genre so rarely give us complex, deeply thought-out and contrary female leads, and M
Karissa Laurel
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't familiar with this world, so I wasn't at all sure what to expect of Elaia and her friends. The beginning started a tad fuzzy for me because the setting and characters are wholly original, and I had to trust the author to fill in the details for me as I read. I appreciate that she didn't just dump it all out in the beginning, but instead immersed the reader and lead us through the story with compelling tidbits.
Elaia is not an easy character to like. She's not going to be everyone's cup o
George Ebey
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm always impressed when a story manages to create its own lore. This story does just that, taking familiar creatures such as nymphs and unicorns and using them in a compelling and unique way. Let Me Fly Free places them in a world rife with drama and conflict that moves fast into a thrilling and action packed climax that sets up the coming series nicely. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is going next.
heyitsbookishme
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Full Review: https://heyitsbookishme.wordpress.com...

Unfortunately, the plot to me was very plain as there was nothing particularly special about it. The beginning was fine but as I progressed in my reading, I wasn’t drawn to the story and just when I was looking forward to the climax, I was extremely disappointed as it was too rushed for my liking – that’s it? :(
Lisa
Sep 12, 2016
Elizabeth Naranjo
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novella about a headstrong fire nymph named Elaia who longs to use her magic and to explore the world beyond the borders of her forest homeland, Kristakai. Elaia is an intriguing main character; she is not your typical “likeable” female, which I love. She toys with the feelings of her lover, Kiri, taking advantage of the fact that Kiri is desperately in love with her to sate her own pleasures, while secretly deriding Kiri’s gentle, sweet, and trusting nature. Elaia defies her elders ...more
Ula
Mar 29, 2016
May 23, 2016
Linda Foster
Jul 05, 2016
Mary Fan
Jul 06, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Aimee Simpson
Jan 31, 2018
Lisa
is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2018
Mary Fan is a hopeless dreamer, whose mind insists on spinning tales of “what if.” As a music major in college, she told those stories through compositions. Now, she tells them through books—a habit she began as soon as she could pick up a pencil.

Mary lives in New Jersey and has a B.A. from Princeton University. When she’s not scheming to create new worlds, she enjoys kickboxing, opera singing, an
More about Mary Fan

Fated Stars (3 books)
  • Tell Me My Name (Fated Stars, #1)
  • Windborn