Start by marking “Firefly Beach” as Want to Read:

Firefly Beach

(Hubbard's Point/Black Hall #1)

Under the summer sky, anything is possible....

Author of the acclaimed novels Cloud Nine and Follow the Stars Home, Luanne Rice returns with another moving portrait of a family in crisis—as three sisters come face-to-face with the past and find in each other the courage to go on.

Coolly sophisticated and steadfastly single, Caroline Renwick has always been the sister everyon
Published May 29th 2001 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly Beach

Start your review of Firefly Beach
Dorothy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a great story about sisters who actually love each other and take care of each other.
It is hard to believe that in real life they would all be still living in the same town where
they grew up and one even living with their mother. A beautiful story. I loved reading.
With a couple of "bad" men thrown in just like real life.
Joy
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am a long time fan of this author, I have read about 9 or 10 of her other works, and she brings me into her characters world quickly and fully. I find myself totally emersed in their feelings, and story, their pain, and anger, and their happiness too. Her character descriptions are full and leave you with no questions as to who these people are, making the reading experience very enjoyable.

I anticipate enjoying more of Luanne Rice's works in the future.
Goddess Of Blah
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is not perfect, however, the mature, intense, powerful, story superseded all the criticism i could bestow. The author is sensitive to her characters feelings. None are portrayed as perfect or evil. All have their weaknesses and strengths exposed.

Its a completely absorbing book, very tragic but also blooming with hope. A beautiful family tale combined with intense, sparkling romance so full of chemistry that you'll be completely engrossed. I read it within 2 days. Loved it.
Fizzy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
'Firefly Beach' is not my first Luanne Rice novel and I seriously doubt it will be my last. Truth is I know it won't as there are more sitting on my bookshelf right now waiting for me to choose one. I really enjoyed the story, liked the characters and at times wanted to beat their heads, or mine, into a wall. Set in New England three sisters live their adult lives in the shadows of the past. Being the children of a famous artist just adds flavor. Three separate women living three separate lives ...more
Jess
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. I loved the story and the characters, and I was rooting for them all by the end.
Marissa
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I took my time reading this. It took me a few days to really get into the story. Right from the beginning there was an intense and powerful situation. It was a flashback, which was scary. Then in the next chapter goes to the present time. These 3 sisters - Caroline, Clea and Skye have a very close sisterly bond. They've been through a lot together. Their father is gone and their mother hasn't been a very good mother up to this point. In this story, there's hunts for treasures, an encounter with ...more
Karen
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Karen by: Elethea
Story of 2 families destroyed by violence one evening in 1970. 2 of the children become pen pals trying to get to know each other better. For those who like romance and things tied up neatly with a velvet bow, this is the book.
Yvette (Gift)
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book!!! Sisterly love, family tragedy. The beach setting❤️❤️❤️❤️. I heart beach books.
Michele
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 at least. Wish half stars were available but since they're not it gets a 5.
Kathryn
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice is the first in her Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series. I became interested in this series when I read Beach Girls by this author earlier in the year.

This book is about the complicated relationships of parents, children, brothers and sisters and lovers. It is also about the simple and undying love of a dog for its owners. Caroline, Clea and Sky are the daughters of Augusta and Hugh Renwick. He is a complicated, talented artist - a man who was unable to be faithful, m
Sharon
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
This was a very interesting character driven book.

When Caroline was 5, she was present when her father's lover's husband came to Firefly Hill and threatened her mother and her family. He was despondent and out for revenge. He did not harm the family, in fact he did irreversible harm to himself as he committed suicide in front of the 2 children and their pregnant mom. You would think this would be enough to throw the husband bum out, wouldn't you? Not to be, Caroline's mother was obsessively in
Machel
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Luanne Rice books. Read it years ago. Still remember the traumatic opening & the intermittent short postcard letters that wove through the book like a thread, connecting the past to the present.
Currently reading 'PRETEND She's Here,' and hoping to finish this weekend.

Luanne's books deal with grief, loss, recovery, hope and learning to love again, against all odds...
I love that.
The newest YA book does, too, but with suspense and a darker edge that frames the characters.
Connie
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was one of the most boring books I have ever read. I didn't care for any of the characters. The only reason I suffered through the entire book was because I really wanted to try this author and my husband got it for me as a gift. Otherwise I would have put it down about a quarter of the way in. I kept hoping that in the end I would find I'd grown to love it but no, I couldn't care less about anyone in this book. The story was just ridiculous and boring.
Joeann Fossland
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second book by Luann Rice I have read and I enjoyed it greatly. I'm a sucker for love stories and enjoyed the way this one evolved. All families have some dysfunctions and this story brought many common issues into the story line.
Vibliophile
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
A (literally) unbelievably complex codependency melodrama

This book has an interesting premise, and I'll give it credit for hooking me in & wanting to see how it ends, but it reads more like moody, angsty women's fiction than romance.

It's well written, & it was good enough to keep me reading to the end; but it's also pretty redundant & by the end there were just too many once in a lifetime tragedies piling on too many convenient events to the point my brain rebelled & was saying "this is ridiculo
Debby
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Caroline Renwick is the oldest daughter of famous artist Hugh Renwick. Hugh was deeply loved by his wife and three girls, but his womanizing and hunting deeply affected them. The husband of a lover when to his house threatening Augusta who was very pregnant, Clea and Caroline. Instead, he killed himself next to Caroline. Later Hugh makes his daughters learn to hunt so they can protect themselves. They hate it, but do it until Skye accidentally kills a young man. Skye and Hugh become alcoholics a ...more
Pavana
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Wow.. what a book. This is my first time reading a book by Luanne Rice. I loved this book. I loved all the characters. The story was awesome. This book had everything - romance, tragedy, sisters' love, treasure hunt, alcoholism, a dog and a villain.

Joe's father died in front of Caroline and her mom. Caroline and Joe become close pen pals after this tragedy but drift away once Joe comes to know about the truth of his father's death. Now after years, Caroline has grown to a strong woman and her f
Eric Maslak
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As you chase the quick flash of a firefly in the dusk

The characters will lure you in and delight your senses as if you were chasing the quick flash of a firefly across the lawn at dusk. A burst of brilliance then wait for it oh my another burst. The intertwined love of families is brought to life as that brilliant burst. Relax, listen to the ocean roll as Luanne takes you on that magical roam through the fields of such delight.
Aubree
Oct 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am 37 minutes in to the audiobook and cannot listen for another minute. Alexandra O’Karma has the most boring voice imaginable, but even worse, her mic picks up every swallow and lip licking. It is like ASMR after every sentence, but makes me completely nauseous. I am writing this in hopes that adjustments are made to the mics in the future so that I can listen to other books by this author without feeling sick.
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always interesting to me to see how authors create characters and these women are definitely products of their history. Who they are now and are becoming is a part of how they were raised and the experiences that brought them. Loved the story and love how Luanne Rice showed the love of family even through the flaws.
Shannon Jessup
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book!

My 2nd Luanne Rice. I've already downloaded my next. I had tears streaming thru the last pages. This story will take you down and lift your spirits even higher with every development. Rice has phenomenal talent transporting a reader into the feelings of each complex character. Looking forward to Book 2 of this series!
Dale
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This is better than a beach read, but won’t be memorable. It starts off with a bang so you get pulled in immediately. It’s the story of 2 families torn apart be unfaithfulness and tragedy that changes each one forever....until 30 plus years later when a member of one family comes to Firefly Beach where the tragedy took place long ago.
Sandy Lo
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming, Gripping and Beautiful!

Like all Luanne Rice novels, “Firefly Beach” combines family, romance, heartbreak and redemption. Rice creates beautifully flawed characters whose lives entwine poetically.
JoAnn M
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story of three sisters bound by past tragedies. Caroline, the strong sister, feels like she's got to have it "all together" for her family. An old friend comes to town and reminds the sisters of all the old issues. I think my favorite character was Homer, the dog!
Lynne
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got through 33% of this book, and it was too depressing for me. It didn't seem like there was anything to be happy about. We have a dad that was an adulterous, another dad that committed suicide, a young child killing a man by accident, an alcoholic, a car accident, a hunting accident. Just couldn't read anymore.
Karen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually am glad I read this author when I am finished with the book. But sometimes I think the storylines are a bit heavy and depressing. I fell in love with Homer and was rooting for Caroline and Joe.
Paula
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

So many family dynamics. Was interesting seeing each person dealing with both tragedy and love. Was very sad to see how much their mother’s jealousy and inability to show love affected each daughter.
Jean
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun, lighthearted read for when you aren't in the mood for anything heavy.
Linda Vopat
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firefly Beach

Very heart rendering story. I was living it right along with the characters. Eloquent writing by this author. Highly recommended .
Judy Meadows
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book!

Easy, fun read! I would recommend it to friends that need a good book to read at the beach. I like Luanne Rice's style of writing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Cottage by the Creek (Birch Harbor, #4)
  • Three Little Things: Return to Lighthouse Point (Charming Inn Book 3)
  • Two of a Kind: Return to Lighthouse Point (Charming Inn Book 2)
  • A Nantucket Affair (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove, #4)
  • Wildflower Ranch (The Canyon #2.5)
  • Second Chance Summer (Blue Harbor Book 2)
  • Saltwater Studios (Westcott Bay, #2)
  • Sunsets & Second Chances (South Carolina Sunsets #2)
  • Sweet Tea B&B (Sweet Tea B&B #1)
  • Fireflies in the Field (Birch Harbor, #3)
  • The Wishing Tide
  • Meet Me at Sunset (Evening Island)
  • Lighthouse on the Lake (Birch Harbor, #2)
  • Fireflies & Family Ties (South Carolina Sunsets #3)
  • Finding Love (January Cove, #4)
  • Bells on the Bay (Birch Harbor, #5)
  • Seabreeze Sunset (Summer Beach #3)
  • Sunsets At Pelican Beach (Pelican Beach #2)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-five novels including LAST DAY, BEACH GIRLS, and THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTER. THE SHADOW BOX will be out in January 2021. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She lives on the Connecticut sh ...more

Hubbard's Point/Black Hall (6 books)
  • Safe Harbor