Start by marking “If You Believe” as Want to Read:
If You Believe

If You Believe

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,897 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
In a dazzling career spanning a dozen acclaimed novels, Kristin Hannah has distinguished herself as an amazingly sensitive writer who can tap into the deepest, most precious mysteries of the heart. If You Believe is one of her finest books--a timeless tale of two lonely people who witness the miracle of second chances.

Mariah Throckmorton was hiding from a past filled with
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published April 27th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published December 4th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about If You Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Believe

Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance

Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bayıldım kitaba. Okuduğum ilk Kristin Hannah kitabıydı. Hemen siteye koşup diger kitaplarını araştırdım.
Deli Fişek ve Mariah cok farklilardi ama aradıkları şey ortaktı. Sıcak bir yuva.
İşin içine tonton bir baba ve yaşından büyük olgunlukta bir velet girince zaten bende ipler kayış kopuyor. Zevkle okudum. Öneriyorum herkese:))
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
2018'in ilk kitabı...Yazarın okuduğum diğer kitaplarına nazaran daha değişik bir konusu vardı.Kis Bahçesinden sonra vasat geldi...
Ama yine de çok çok güzeldi..İkinci şans hikayelerine bayılırım...
Mar 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
It's a good thing this wasn't the first Kristin Hannah novel I read, because it would have for sure been the last. One of her first novels, written when I presume she was trying to be a Harlequin romance novelist. Seriously, it was hard for me to believe this was the same author who wrote "Winter Garden" and "Firefly Lane". Not only did it read like a dime store romance novel...the lonely spinster with a broken heart who vows never to love again and the handsome drifter who refuses to settle in ...more
Meital Ben-Daniel
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Another beautiful book by Kristin Hanna.
A love against all odds found in the most unlikely places.
I liked it and recommend it !!
Min Li Li
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Klasik Hannah kitaplarından farklıydı ve çok güzeldi.Keşke hep bu tarz yazsa.Her şeyiyle çokca sevdiğim bir kitap oldu.
Mohamed Omran
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
If you haven't read Kristen Hannah's IF YOU BELIEVE you are missing out on one of the best character driven, emotionally wrenching stories the genre has to offer. Mad Dog Stone is a fighter who works odd jobs in between matches. He never stays in one place long enough to form any kind of emotional attachment and has broken many a heart along the way. His life is about to change when he answers an add for free room and board in exchange for a little work at the Throckmorton apple orchard. How har ...more
Melissa Norton
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of LaVyrle Spencer's early works, If You Believe is a lovely and emotional historical romance from Kristin Hannah, perhaps better known now for her excellent contemporary novels (Firefly Lane, etc). She has always had a deft hand with creating realistic, likable and complex narratives, whatever the setting.
In 1890s Washington State, drifter/boxer/frustrated writer "Mad Dog" Stone hires on as a handyman to the Throckmorton household/orchard, comprised of a lonely widower and his agor
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why this was a difficult story to tell. My husband & best friend died 5 years ago & I still can't cry. I can't describe the loneliness without him. But I think it helped to read this book, helps to have someone else's feelings about it put into words. There's no one I can talk to about how I feel. So I thank you for writing a story so full of feelings shared by many I'm sure. I read all of Kristen Hannah books I find. They are full of insights.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a touching and beautiful story. I haven't read Kristin Hannah for so long. I've missed her writing style.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love Hannah. Everything she writes is good even her oldies but goodies.
Sharon Metcalf
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2.5 rounded up to 3 stars

If I'm honest, I'd have to say I was disappointed by this book which simply didn't feel like it was written by Kristin Hannah. This was a historical novel in the style of many romance books I've read and unfortunately it felt formulaic to me. Whilst I still enjoyed the book, and never doubted I'd finish it, I was not drawn into the web of these characters the way I normally am by Kristin Hannah.

Mad Dog was the bad boy - a boxer, a drifter, a man with a penchant for whor
Karen & Gerard
This is an historical novel about love. Three lonely people find each other, Mariah, Mad Dog, and Jake. Although very predictable, I enjoyed this book because of the issues Mariah and Mad Dog both had. Jake following his dad hoping for a happy reunion was heartwarming. Rass, Mariah’s father, was my favorite character because of his concern for his daughter and his kindness toward Mad Dog and Jake. He kept seeking to improve his relationship with his daughter and help her let go of the past so sh ...more
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is also one of the romance books that I've read time and time again because I like the characters. Mad Dog is so aggrevating at times, but he's got other qualities, like how perceptive he can be. And Mariah has her reasons for acting the way she does, whether it's wrong or not. I loved that they were deeper than I suspected at the beginning.
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Ehhh so so. Hannah's earlier books in her own words are not as good or gripping as later ones. The later ones make me cry and hold my attention raptly, the earlier ones leave me debating whether I should finish the book as they are more formulaic, predictable, and somehow shallower emotionally. It's neat to see her growth as a writer though!
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Come on, how do you get intimate whispering "Mad Dog"??? I liked the book but the name kept throwing my off, even in normal conversion.
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ok. Not as good as many of her other books.
Shireen Hakani
3.5 Stars.

First half is too slow and takes forever to pick up. Second half is good. Glad didn't put it down.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Old Rass Throckmorton hires Matt "Mad Dog" Stone to help with the harvest of 1894, hoping that he is an honest, steady man who will remain on the Washington State farm and take care of Rass's 34-year-old daughter, Mariah, after Rass is gone. But Mad Dog is a fighter, a womanizer and a would-be writer who constantly drifts--not someone who can help fiesty Mariah overcome loneliness and the trauma of an abusive relationship that still haunts her--until they fall in love. Mariah, Mad Dog, Rass and ...more
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Mad Dog Stone, a drifter in the 1800's, takes a job on a farm "for a few days" to earn some cash. He is greeted by an old man, Rass, & promptly hit in the temple with the butt of a gun by his daughter, Mariah. Mariah & Mad Dog take an instant dislike & distrust of each other. She gives him hard work to do in hopes that he will leave. She has closed herself off from the world due to past heartaches & hasn't left the farm in years. Mad Dog avoids relationships & doesn't let any ...more
Sue Fellows
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I rated this with 3 stars for the language and sexual content. I have read other books by Kristin Hannah and this is the first one I have been disappointed with. It may be I just like her historial setting books better.
Carol Grant
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice, easy read with lovely story and wonderful characters, but a predictable storyline. You can tell this is one of Kristin Hannah's first books, as she has advanced her stories multitudes. Everyone has to start somewhere and I love Kirstin Hannah and nice to read some of her earlier works.
Mellanie C
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Betul Pehlivanli
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Yazarın okuduğum ilk kitabıydı.Benim için çerezlik bir kitap olunca gün içinde başladığım gibi bitirdim.Öyle çok aman aman sevmedim ama anlatılan aşka imrenmedim desem yalan olur 😬
Eileen Dennie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Kristin Hannah's writing, but you can tell this was written early in her career.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Good for what it is, but it's more of an historical romance than one of Ms. Hannah's other books, which I enjoyed much more than this one.
Pribeh o laske v minulosti, zivot v minulosti, kedy bolo velmi tazko. Celkom pekne, aj sexualna zapletka, presne opisane charaktery postav, dobry koniec.
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best of Kristin but I loved it nevertheless. It was even kinda cute.
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kristen Hannah's writing is so vivid, it's easy to be transported into her stories. This one started out slow, but halfway through really picked up as you learned the depth of the characters. It's worth the "slow" beginning to truly get to know the characters.
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
  • With Love
  • The Passions of Emma
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • The Drifter
  • Shades of Grace
  • Blackwood's Woman (The Protectors, #6)
  • Sunshine and Shadow
  • The Bikini Car Wash
  • Fire and Rain
  • Anywhere You Are
  • Wild at Heart
  • The Surfing Lesson
  • Life Without Summer
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and Th ...more
More about Kristin Hannah...

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)

“Goddamn, sometimes it hurt to be free.” 25 likes