Start by marking “The Burned Children of America” as Want to Read:
The Burned Children of America

The Burned Children of America

This volume brings together the most promising young American authors, with a penchant for writing about such slippery subjects as snakes, letter-writing dogs, chicken livers and indoor shopping malls.
Published January 1st 2003 by Hamish Hamilton

To ask other readers questions about The Burned Children of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burned Children of America

Oscar
Los autores incluidos en esta antología pertenecen a una generación llamada quemada, nombre proveniente del cuento ‘Encarnación de una generación quemada’, de David Foster Wallace. Una generación en busca de una identidad, una generación cabreada, quemada. Autores todos ellos que forman un coro melancólico, como bien dice en el epílogo Zadie Smith. La gran mayoría de esos relatos aparecieron en su momento en prestigiosas publicaciones como New Yorker, Paris Review, McSweeney’s, etc., y sus argum ...more
MJ Nicholls
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This pocket-sized cri de coeur from America's "burned children" serves as both a manifesto for the New Wave of post-millennial Yank talent, and provides a nice entry point for the curious to read these new, exciting authors.

Some of these writers have been kicking around for a while now, of course. The theme of this collection – sadness at the soullessness of corporate America – has, unfortunately, dated. America has shifted radically since 2003.

Anywho... there are some fabulous stories here. The
Ludmilla
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
içinde çok iyi öyküler var. isimlerden birkaçına aşinaysanız özellikle tavsiye ederim.
Alex
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and felt the urge to borrow it again when I last swung by the library. Eying the author list and re-reading the stories, it felt like coming across the forgotten spare room in your grandparents' house and seeing faint memories hidden in the dust. A little hard to objectively gauge my feelings on the stories due to the nostalgia in other words. I will say that the story of the toothed woman in Dentaphilia by Julia Slavin has haunted me all these years. I also recognised The ...more
Rowena
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
A good collection of short stories. Unfortunately, by the time I read this book, the theme (sadness at the soullessness of corporate America) was already dated. My favorites were the stories of Saunders (bitter and sad), Wallace (raw, a sense of panic jumping out at you), Slavin (kafkaesque, albeit a bit too sentimental), Homes (appallingly funny), and Foer (clever, funny and sad).
T-bone
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
There are some fine stories in this collection. The one about Stephen, the letter writing dog, was great. Also enjoyed the one about the guy whose wife starts growing teeth all over her body. Best of all was the one about the twelve year old boy who has an affair with his sister's Barbie doll. Brilliant.
Kurt
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
"A Real Doll" by A.M. Homes has to be the best story about a boy and his sister's Barbie that I've ever read. Hilarious!
Citra Marina
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
awesome compilation
Anna
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
This is the state of modern short fiction. This is by far the best collection of short stories I have read. Good picks, Zadie.
Kristoffer
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories by contemporary American writers, some better than others. Among the former: David Foster Wallace and Jonathan Safran Foer.
Kayla
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great collection. no complaints
Urszula
Zbiór jak to zbiór - ma lepsze i gorsze fragmenty. Siegnęłam po niego ze względu na Saundersa, i w zasadzie na nim się kończy.
Catherine
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
First I'll say that there were some short stories in this that I really liked and a couple of new authors I'll keep an eye out for - really enjoyed "Faith" and "Flush" but ...

Zadie Smith wrote in her intro that the thread connecting these stories was one of sadness. I guess ... but it was not the sadness that you would find and appreciate in a story by Ford or Carver -- much of it just felt selfish and self-absorbing. Some of these stories were just nonsensical crap wishing it was literature. So
Luis Alberto Bravo
Muy buena selección. Mis cuentos favoritos:
- Test de comprensión (Myla Goldberg)
- Faith o Consejos a una joven que quiere tener éxito (Amanda Davis)
- Una verdadera muñeca (A.M. Homes)
- El primer hombre (Stacey Richter)
- Manual para puntuar las enfermedades del corazón (Jonathan Safran Foer)
- Los centros comerciales invisibles (Ken Kalfus)
- La rana de las nieves (Arthur Bradford).

* Extrañé a Miranda July
Natalya
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are some great, actually fantastic stories in this collection, but after reading the whole book I am stuck with the feeling that what young, contemporary literature in America is today is finding some kind of quirk you can add to the universe we sort of know, a twist to make it surreal, and it felt almost formulaic by the end of it. That being said there were a few stories that really stuck with me from this collection and I truly recommend giving it a read.
Berrak
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: öykü
Çağdaş Amerikan edebiyatında geleceğe kalacağına kesin gözüyle bakılan, önemli isimlerin öykülerinin derlendiği, çok güzel bir antoloji. Üstelik derleyen Zadie Smith.
Mia
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
With the exception of a few wonders (GEORGE SAUNDERS!) this collection is too clever by half. I was intrigued as it looked like some of the writers were inhabiting fixed forms in a way that might be interesting, but they were often used only to add sentiment and avoid writing.
Diego
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La mayoría de los cuentos son muy buenos. Hay uno de David Foster Wallace (Encarnación de una Generación Quemada), y para sorpresa de muchos el cuento no tiene notas a pie de página. Tiene cuentos muy malos también, pero en las antologías siempre pasa así.
Anna
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
I've already read this collection, but it was so good I couldn't resist picking it up at the library today.

**update**
Oh, it was as good as I remembered! There are some spectacular short stories in it, like Dentophilia.
Irene
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
PAAAM
Lindsay
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story fans
A good chance for me to catch up on some contemporary writers.
Carlamccoelho
  • Four New Messages
  • Almost No Memory
  • The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories
  • Worlds from the Word's End
Zadie Smith is the author of the novels White Teeth, The Autograph Man, On Beauty, and NW, as well as a collection of essays, Changing My Mind. Swing Time is her fifth novel.

Visit www.zadiesmith.com for more information.