Start by marking “What's Going On” as Want to Read:
What's Going On

What's Going On

With the same personal authority and exhilarating directness he brought to his account of his passage from a prison cell to the newsroom of The Washington Post, Nathan McCall delivers a series of front-line reports on the state of the races in today's America. The resulting volume is guaranteed to shake the assumptions of readers of every pigmentation and political alle ...more
Published December 29th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What's Going On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Going On

Chris Ellis
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Done it again!

This book was excellent! Very real and thought-provoking! Mr. McCall is one of the best storytellers of our time in my opinion! I would recommend this to any and everyone because we can all learn something from this!
Alex
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read McCall's memoir, "Makes Me Wanna Holler" when I was about 15 years old. It was an instant favorite to me. Fast-forward 10 years later, and I spot "What's Going On" in a bookstore. I immediately pick it up, looking to, in a way, "reconnect" with one of my first favorite authors. His memoir that I read as a teen is now a vague memory in my mind, sans for a few quotes from it that have stuck with me over the years. Yet, as I was reading "What's Going On" I begin to remember why I loved his s ...more
Pam Barone
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
People my age can barely remember that once upon a time, there were black neighborhoods in cities and towns that functioned just like white neighborhoods. Only sometimes better. Whole groups of people knew each other, supported each other, watched over one another's children. They owned homes or rented, had jobs, stayed in school. That didn't evaporate by chance. It evaporated with public policy, relentless propaganda, a political agenda perverted.

McCall details that past and writes about how th
Kell
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well thought out

I Gave What's On 3 star rating.This book is very well written from the heart( as you can feel it as your read). Again took me back to my joys and pain of the 70's.
Roslyn
Jan 01, 2009 marked it as to-read
Nathan McCall, gives us his take on current issues that plague society today. He is blunt in his opinion, but yet insightful and provokes individuals to think about matters of concern in a logical and simplistic manner.
Sandy
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although I enjoyed the other two books I've read by Nathan McCall more, there were some select essays in this book that were provocative and thought-provoking. I so appreciate his perspective and life experience.
Corey Matthews
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tell it like it is!

Real and to the point, McCall talks candidly about race class humanity our society and the world we live in from someone who has an opinion. Like a conversation at the barbershop, he was honest and spoke with conviction! A solid read.
Kofi
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very thought provoking book. A must read for every black person, not African-Americans only.
Angel
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Joseph Peeples-hampton
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for African-Americans.
R.K. Byers
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
entertaining and a little silly.
Lisa (Liken Books)
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one. It actually aggravated me.
Mona B-j
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational to men who hope! I need to reread...it's been a while!
Mr. Paul
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
i would love to read more by NM
Alt_de_lete
Maegen
Jan 13, 2008
Nidra Webster
Oct 07, 2012
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Sep 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Windows of Brimnes: An American in Iceland
  • Barbara Jordan: American Hero
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
  • Children at War
  • The Godfather of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Let's Talk About Pep
  • Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal
  • Walking Prey: How America’s Youth Are Vulnerable to Sex Slavery
  • Lifesaving Lessons: Notes from an Accidental Mother
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Path to Religion
  • I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • The Restless Sleep: Inside New York City's Cold Case Squad
  • Far From the Tree
  • You've GOT to Read This Book!: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life
  • Joy