Start by marking “Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar” as Want to Read:
Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar

Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar

·Unprecedented access behind Half-Life and Half-Life 2
·A forward by Valve founder Gabe Newell
·Hundreds of art, design, preproduction, and other art pieces crammed into the book
·Over a dozen key members of Valve's staff interviewed
·Officially approved by Valve
·Behind City 17 and other locations
·The development of the Source engine
·A rogue's gallery of beasts, charact
Published November 23rd 2004 by Prima Games

To ask other readers questions about Half-Life 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Life 2

Ali
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
its very good, all information when the game was made from half life 1 to half life 2, but majorly from half lfie 2
BDH.
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The book itself is made up of sketches and artwork, with some text here and there, with a few number of passages about gameplay early -and mostly cancelled- ideas.

As a big fan of half-life series, this book made me appreciate the backstage team much more.
And as a patient gamer waiting for the next installment of the series (rumored HL3), it makes me even more patient.

keep the awesome work Valve.
Levan Futkaradze
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're ever interested in how much work gets put into making a great game, not just technically but in terms of creativity, world-building, detail and polish. It's not a whole lot of text, just simple notes describing most interesting concepts and processes. I found this book extremely inspiring, because it clearly shows that massive effort and output won't be enough, that it's important to look critically at your work and try to make it structured, without getting too carried away. It's not ...more
Eric Mikols
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this a little disappointing. I was hoping for something more in-depth. I wanted more details on Valve's early formation and the making of the first Half-Life game. As a coffee table/art book, this is pretty cool but I would have liked something more akin to Masters of Doom.
Ilya
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming
I want to believe.
Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
Published by Prima, the same guys who put out all those strategy guides, this book focuses not on walking you through a game but rather gives a behind-the-scenes look at / rough production history of the two Half-Life games, the 2nd one in particular. Released shortly after Half-Life 2, this book no doubt served as both an advertisement for Valve and a capitalization on their success for Prima.

It's mostly an art book, with tons of concept art, sketches, development screenshots, etc. There's som
Andrew
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a totally random find at my local charity shop and it is pretty impressive - its printed by the same company that prints a lot of the strategy guides to the games however this is a behind the scenes look at the game, its creation and some of the background to it all.
The book is an impressive hard backed book with large highly detailed images both from the game and from the designs and sketches that went in to its creation. I am fascinated by artwork and sketch books from games and
Andrei_k
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Wished to read it back in 2005. Greatly outdated. Not as impressive as I expected. A lot of texts and arts: screenshots mainly. Anyway this book shows how many changes videogame industry went through from the early 2000s to these days.
Jocelyn
Oct 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, games
Not a whole of text, but lots of pretty pictures.
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Had a nice time at the Clif Family Harvest Festival in St. Helena. In response to the nice event, which was attended by "Mr. Clif" (Gary Erickson), I am now reading his book entitled Raising The Bar.
Steve
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
An intriguing look at the making of the game at the time of release. I'd like to see a ten-year retrospective (in 2014) and/or something more academic for this masterpiece.
Kevin C
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a lot of interesting background info on how Half Life is made and provides lots of nice beautiful color photos. Definitely recommend this book to any Half Life fan!
Dmitri Yarynych
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolute wow. A real story of creativity, invention and creating one of most important universes in game development and one of the most important gaming companies of our time.
Pavel
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
В этой книге разработчики рассказывают о том, как шла работа над второй частью знаменитой игры. Для фанатов серии читать и смотреть обязательно!
Jeff Hitchcock

• Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System
  • Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach to Creating Innovative Games
  • Trigger Happy: Videogames and the Entertainment Revolution
  • A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players
  • Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution
  • High Score!: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games
  • Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »