Start by marking “顔のない男 [Kao No Nai Otoko]” as Want to Read:
顔のない男 [Kao No Nai Otoko]

顔のない男 [Kao No Nai Otoko] (Lord Peter Wimsey #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  11,478 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
In this delightful collection of Wimsey exploits, Dorothy L. Sayers reveals a gruesome, grotesque but absolutely bewitching side rarely shown in Lord Peter's full-length adventures.

Lord Peter views the body in 12 tantalizing and bizarre ways in this outstanding collection. He deals with such marvels as the man with copper fingers, Uncle Meleager's missing will, the cat in

393 pages
Published 2001 by 東京創元社 (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about 顔のない男 [Kao No Nai Otoko], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 顔のない男 [Kao No Nai Otoko]

Jaline
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx2017-completed
Although titled as the 4th book in the Lord Peter Wimsey series, this book is also a standalone. It contains 10 short stories and two small novellas. While I am not a big fan of short stories (always wanting a longer read and more in-depth exploration of a storyline), I found these to be engaging.

I found out much more about Lord Peter as he continued to solve mysteries in his unique fashion. The third short story in the book contains a crossword puzzle laid out by a clever old man in his will. A
Susan
Although I am not really a fan of short stories – much preferring novels – I wanted to re-read the Lord Peter Wimsey books and realised that I had never read this collection. The book consists of the following stories:

The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers
BrokenTune
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
2.5*

I like Peter and Bunter but the stories in this collection were lacking something - either the development of other characters or a hook. I stand by my hypothesis that some authors are great at creating novels but can't quite transfer the same skill to short stories or - without referring to the format - simply shorter stories.

Still, some fun adventures with Peter.

Now on to the next Wimsey novel...
Leah
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the back of my copy of this book, there is little indication that these are short stories. As a result, I approached this book innocently assuming I would encounter another full-length Peter Wimsey adventure to delight in. I'm glad it worked out this way, however, because I rarely choose to read short stories voluntarily, and these were just as delightful as Peter's full-length exploits.

I find myself spending each review of a Sayers book comparing her favourably with her more famous contempor
Moonlight Reader
I'm not the hugest fan of short stories, although several of these were entertaining. I needed a book with a vest on the cover for a challenge, which is why I selected this to read - I already had it on my kindle from a Peter Wimsey binge buy when the prices dropped to $1.99 each.
Bill
This book contains 12 mysteries featuring Dorothy Sayers' famous sleuth, Lord Peter Wimsey and each was unique in its own right and all were interesting and entertaining. I've grown to like Lord Peter very much as I've begun to explore this series. Short stories can be so hit or miss. It all depends on how quickly the author can get into the story and grab your attention and then come to a satisfying resolution. Dorothy Sayers succeeded with this much to my satisfaction. Lord Peter is such a won ...more
booklady
Lord Peter Wimsey is my favorite sleuth. From his humorous name and distinctively British upper class mannerisms and speech, to his ‘ugly, beaky appearance’ and passion for books, especially old rare ones, he entertains me like no other detective and few other literary characters. Each time I begin another Dorothy L. Sayers’ mystery I brace myself to be disappointed in case she slips in some quality about him which has to be endured rather than admired.

Lord Peter Views the Body is a collection
Amélie
Je pensais me traîner péniblement à travers ce recueil (que j'ai lu juste parce que je veux passer à travers toute la série), parce que tsé, les murder mysteries format nouvelles -- mais je me suis beaucoup amusée. Quelques scénarios convenus, beaucoup d'exubérance, des huis clos & des portes verrouillées de l'intérieur, & une seule petite histoire tellement mauvaise qu'elle en est gênante : ce serait difficile de demander un meilleur ratio.
Kim
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle

Spending a bit of quality time with Lord Peter Wimsey always makes me cheerful. I prefer him in the full-length novel environment where his intelligence, wit, humour and humanity can shine to their fullest extent, but there's nothing wrong with meeting him in the short story format. It's rather like having a friend drop by for a quick visit. You may prefer to have him stay for the weekend so you can catch up properly, but a cup of tea or even a chat on the phone is better than not seeing him at
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
It hurts to give Miss Sayers and Lord Peter only three stars, but I know it's my own fault. I simply don't care for the short story format, particularly when Lord Peter is such a Deus Ex Machina in that form. In this collection, sometimes you don't know if he's a detective or a 007 wannabe. The business about his famous palate for wine, for example, made me roll my eyes. A couple of the stories, while they had some good red herrings, were bordering on the silly, and put a foot over that border m ...more
Reading the Detec...: Lord Peter Views the Body 74 41 Aug 06, 2016 09:38PM
Reading the Detec...: Lord Peter Views the Body - SPOILER thread 57 35 May 02, 2016 10:42PM
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Miss Pym Disposes
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...

Lord Peter Wimsey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey, #3)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6)
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)
“And upon his return, Gherkins, who had always considered his uncle as a very top-hatted sort of person, actually saw him take from his handkerchief-drawer an undeniable automatic pistol.
It was at this point that Lord Peter was apotheosed from the state of Quite Decent Uncle to that of Glorified Uncle”
17 likes
“Nobody minds coarseness, but one must draw the line at cruelty

-Lord Peter Wimsey”