Start by marking “Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)” as Want to Read:
Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)

Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  303 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Evil moves to paradise, as openly gay police detective Kimo Kanapa’aka battles an extreme religious group that opposes the idea of same-sex marriage. It begins with a simple shooting, but the danger intensifi es as Kimo strives to unmask a killer.

Neil S. Plakcy is the author of Mahu Surfer.
Published April 1st 2008 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about Mahu Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahu Fire

Sofia
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very flowing read. Once again, Plakcy did not disappoint. I like the quiet writing without the emotional manipulation which make my eyes roll.

The Kimo I saw in this book has grown more into himself than the Kimo I met in the first book. I like the growth, the strength, the understanding, the development. He is allowing himself to be what he is. But I also like that he is not pushy. He accepts himself and those around him for what they are. A lesson to be learnt here I think.

The story itself is
Rosa, really
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of thoughtful mysteries with a dash of romance

The Mystery

Kimo investigates fires, a bombing and murder in the gay community, which is organizing support for gay marriage.

The Romance

There is one! And it's so sweet. And despite the mustache, the guy sounds hot. Which is always nice.

The Family

Family plays a large part in this novel. I love Kimo's family. Some of them may not be totally comfortable with his sexuality. (Kimo remarks that if he brings a male friend around his family give them the side eye, seeming to wonder what they "do" togethe
Neil Plakcy
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mahu Fire was the second mystery I wrote-- though before it was published I realized I needed to write Mahu Surfer.

I hope that I learned a lot about writing and pacing in the course of writing this book. Originally it was written in the third person, and included scenes from the villains' perspective-- but my editor convinced me that I should focus on Kimo, so I spent hours at Starbucks revising on a tight schedule.

I love the fireworks that occur when Kimo meets sexy fire investigator Mike Ricc
Mymymble
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't like this quite as much as the first two which were automatic 5*s. It was more tell than show (though the fire scenes were tremendous) and to be honest reading about fundamentalist homophobes is not the greatest fun.
Also in this Mike was a very well-established character and likable but a bit dull, though their love shows great promise.
However all the other great things of Placzy's writing are there so I'm gonna read the next and then a shortish break while my wallet recovers.
I'll rate
Ami
I wasn't very taken with the first two Mahu books, but I guess there is a reason for the term "Third time's the charm".

Mahu Fire interests me quicky with both the case (which, like my friend points out that it is more of a social issue rather than simple crime) and the characters. I'm warming up to Kimo now, the moment that the book opens with him volunteering at Gay Teen Center and later on helping a gay teenager who is being kicked out by his family. I fall more in love with Tommy's family, m
Mackenzie
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
After finishing the second book of the Mahu series, Mahu Surfer, I couldn't wait to read this third one. By the end of the second book, I'd fallen quite in love with the world of homicide detective Kimo Kanapa'aka, although I wasn't sure how much I would love the main character. In this third on, Mahu Fire, Kimo returns to investigate a series of related crimes involving gay bashing and fire. He took a personal interest in the investigation because he, his friends and family almost became victim ...more
Clare
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Person A: Knock, knock.
Person B: Who’s there?
Person A: Me-ma.
Person B: Me Mahu.
Person A: Oh, you mahu? No touch me!

This kind of dumb joke was typical for schoolyards in Hawaii, where I grew up.

The term Mahu has been used in Hawaii as long as I can remember to describe a homosexual male. A mahu also usually dresses like a woman (basically a tranny). And mahus were sometimes prostitutes as well. So when the Minneapolis Public Library suggested this book on its home page, I admit I was puzzled and
Kyle
This series can be frustrating. Do I enjoy them? Yes and no. It's a fun story where I don't have to think for very much, but at the same time, the writing can be cheesy and the twists are always fairly obvious - though to be fair, sometimes I feel like I'm watching Showgirls or Mommy Dearest with all of the high melodrama, and I can't help but laugh.

This is the third book in the Mahu series, and like the others before it, Plakcy looks to have his character face another facet of gay identity. In
Lady*M

Kimo back on the job and his family and friends were the things the previous book was missing, especially since family and friends make such a big part of Kimo's character. It was also great to see Kimo growing as a gay man and helping the gay teenagers. I like how he tried to teach them important things by using himself as an example. His relationship with Johnny and his attempts to help the boy showed just how big a heart Kimo has. Another plus was the fact that Kimo wasn't following
A.J. Llewellyn
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I like Kimo very much but his family life continues to be more appealing than his tepid romance or his unconvincing police work. Hard to believe one cop could be assigned a huge investigation involving multiple arsons and homicides.
I'm continually surprised at the lack of mystery to Kimo's mysteries...or the authenticity of the islands. Once again, I was staggered at the plot problems in this and did send the author an email listing them. The little boy's age keeps changing for one thing. A majo
Ije the Devourer of Books
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series and so it isn't a surprise to find that I like this one as well. First of all I love the way each book transports me to Hawaii and to the sun, the sand, sea, and surf. When I read these books I can feel the heat of Hawaii on my skin and I feel that I am there in the hustle and bustle that can be found on Oahu. But it isnt just the island that I am drawn into. I am also pulled into mystery, family life, emerging love, work place politics and the ...more
Lori S.
Great book.
JR
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, Well Balanced Mystery

Kimo has a new love interest, a firefighter . This time it looks like the real thing. The dynamics of their relationship is the heart and soul of this story, and the reader can't help but root for Kimo to have found his soul mate. He is also faced with murders, bombings and a church that doesn't seem to be on the up and up.
Once again, Mr. Plakcy has given his readers an intriguing, well balanced mystery, interspersed with the main character growing comfortable
FicusFan
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Non-Bigots who like mysteries, Hawaii, good stories, uplifting reads
Heather
Jun 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: win
I won a copy of this book from a mystery book website. It was a random book draw and did not have any idea of what the content of this particular book was until I received it. It is not the usual type of material that I would choose to read, but sounded interesting enough. Being a straight woman, I wasn't intimidated by the subject matter, in fact I was interested to read a mystery from another perspective. I do hope that this example is not representive of this genre. I found the book to be com ...more
Alan
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Kimo Kanapa’aka is a detective working a murder investigation and a series of arsons targeting GLBT owned businesses on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. When he and his family attend a fundraiser for gay marriage proponents that is firebombed, he is the perfect candidate to lead the bombing investigation because he is gay and has the support of the gay community, not to mention his personal motives: whoever bombed the fundraiser put his family at risk of life and limb, and you don’t screw with a Ha ...more
Vicki
I read the first 2 books of this series and hadn't planned on continuing, but a fellow GR reader suggested that things started to pick up in Book 3 and I should read it. So I did. And am I ever glad that I did. This book was exciting, the characters personalities have developed into more interesting people, and there's a new love interest - that I really liked. Off to get book 4 now. :)
GymGuy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-cop
This was the second book in the series that I've read. (I skipped #2 and went directly on to #3.) I don't think I'm going to read much more in this series. It really doesn't exhibit a lot of good writing.

The author just doesn't have much originality. This story is a total rehash of some very tired and trite concepts. The whole idea of gay-bashing fundamentalist Christians out to undermine gay marriage is so over-told!

There was way way way too much detail in this book. What became really bothers
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
I found this mystery to be on the weak side. It was pretty obvious from the start who the "sweaty guy" was and it took Kimo - who is good with faces - way too long to place him. But once he did, well, he still needed evidence before he could do anything, lol! Ain't reality a downer? ;) But, no. That's one of the things I like about these books. Even when it takes our MC awhile to catch up, there's still procedure to follow through with, paperwork to fill out, warrants to attain. The ending was a ...more
Marissa Culp
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic, gay, mystery
In the third Mahu installment, Kimo finally meets someone he can have a real relationship with! Yes, I'm excited for him!

While at a fundraiser for Hawaiian Gay Marriage, a bomb goes off and sets the building on fire. Kimo and his friends and family are all there but make it safely out. The only casualty is the Vice-Mayor, which puts this case on the hot-plate, so to speak. Fire Investigator Mike Riccardi (hot, hot, hot) arrives shortly thereafter and together with Kimo, investigates the trail of
Carol
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, m-m, police
This is the third in the series, and the first book that has a gay related crime. Kimo is back in Honolulu working alone, no one wants to be his partner and he is coming to terms with becoming a "gay" cop. I think this element is very well written and shows him working well in a fairly hostile workplace. He has some colleagues who treat him the same as before and his boss seems to be decent and understanding, but the subtle and not-so-subtle snubs are written and I don't think I would handle thi ...more
Suze
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third Mahu book, and perhaps the easiest to read - not sure if I am just more aware of the Hawai'ian references now, the main characters are entrenched so I dont have to keep thinking who it is or it is just more streamlined. Pacy read, enjoyable.
The investigation into fires targetted at lesbian and gay businesses means that Kimo crosses paths with fire investigator Mike - I enjoyed the who and whys of the investigation.
The relationship between Mike and Kimo is quite new and it was nice to s
Sonja
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fiction, my-books
Jen
This was a good story. I got through it pretty quickly. I liked the previous book in the series just a tiny bit better because it had me guessing right up until the end. This one was more of a monologue explanation of how the pieces fell together at the end and I've always preferred to experience it with the characters instead of just hearing a big old explanation at the end. That's a personal preference and not anything wrong on the author's side of things, though. Still a great series. I also ...more
Gary
Feb 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a dreadful book. I picked it off the shelf because it was a mystery featuring a gay Honolulu detective and I thought, "That could be an interesting character." I was wrong. Told in the first-person, the detective tells us of the struggles he's forced to undergo as a gay man, but there is no emotional depth to his narrative. Nor to any of the characters. The quality of the prose is at the level of high-school writing class.

In short, everything about the book is amateurish and hamhanded.
K
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series featuring gay Hawaiian police detective Kimo and again, this is still more gay mystery than romance which I really like.

The sense of place and culture of Hawaii is still running strongly through the book - but this time with a taste of up to date politics and religion. As the islands' gay community is pushing for gay marriage to be legalised a church group has set up vocal opposition - which spirals out of control to violence.

Kimo is growing in terms of bei
Susinok
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, mystery, romance
Kimo has to confront a crazy conservative group who are targeting gay owned business and organizations.

I've read a lot of gay romances and mysteries in the past six months, and none of them have confronted the issues facing the GLBT community as wholeheartedly as the Mahu books have done. The thing is, though, that the issues are brought up as part of the plot and woven into the stories. There's no lecturing going on here. Education as entertainment at it's best.

And once again, I can live and b
Meike
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, crime-mystery
This book somehow feels like it was written by someone else, and is not as good as the first two, IMO.

Actual suspense in Kimo's case, continuity, a plot that makes sense - now why would you want that? Here, have the main character's new love interest instead.

The whole premise doesn't make sense anyway, there's no way that anybody would have let Kimo investigate a case like that all on his own, especially with his personal investment in it.

I'm also disappointed that the one scene I'd been waiting
Cassie Richards
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: detective
This is the third book in the Mahu series and it's still going strong.

After a gay marriage support dinner which Detective Kimo and his family attended is bombed Kimo picks up the case. With his friends and family injured the case gets personal fast. Not helped by the handsome fire investigator Mike who looks like he might want to do more than compare case notes.

The bombing makes for a really good story line here and it's good to finally see Kimo with some romance in his life rather than just sex
Kathy
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story about Kimo Kanapa'aka. I am still really enjoying the growth this series. I love Kimo and I think he's a man that has handled terribly difficult events with a great deal of aplomb; grace under pressure ~ I'd say so!

Old and new friends, family and life that never stops; Mahu Fire is another exciting read by the wonderfully talented Neil Plakcy. I'm so glad that I've got Mahu Vice to read right away. The first three Mahu stories in 2 days... I can't get enough!
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • The Butcher's Son (A Dick Hardesty Mystery, #1)
  • Amuse Bouche (A Russell Quant Mystery, #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • A Forest of Corpses (Geography of Murder, #2)
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)
Neil Plakcy is an acclaimed author of cozy mysteries (the Golden Retriever Mystery series) as well as gay mysteries, M/M romance and gay erotica.

A journalist, book reviewer and college professor, he is also a frequent contributor to gay anthologies.

A three-time finalist for the Lambda Literary award, he teaches at writers' conferences and can often be found walking his two golden retrievers.
More about Neil S. Plakcy

Mahu (10 books)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)
  • Mahu Blood (Mahu, #5)
  • Zero Break (Mahu, #6)
  • Natural Predators (Mahu, #7)
  • Accidental Contact and Other Mahu Investigations (Mahu, #8)
  • Children of Noah (Mahu #9)
  • Ghost Ship (Mahu, #10)