Start by marking “The Hunting of the Snark” as Want to Read:
The Hunting of the Snark

The Hunting of the Snark

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,319 Ratings  ·  286 Reviews
They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Lewis Carroll's magnificent nonsense poem The Hunting of the Snark features an unlikely cast of characters drawn from the Jabberwocky in Through the Looking Glass. This irresistible version is illustra
Published by Adamant Media Corporation (first published April 16th 1876)

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Absolute nonsense, which is to be expected with Carroll. I love how his writing brings me back to being a kid again. Obviously loved it!
Manny
"You must read this book!" the Reviewer cried,
As he searched for a suitable rhyme
But as long as he stole more than half of the words
He was sure he would get there in time.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)
Florencia
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, I gave TV a chance today. However, I found Titanic, Terminator 3, reality shows and other stuff, so, those aren't real options for me. I have no sitcoms to watch right now. Although, I'm kind of tired of watching the same sitcoms/tv series all the time. There's nothing new now. Once Upon a Time is on, so that's a good background sound. What to do on a Saturday afternoon? Yes. Let's find something out of the ordinary to read. And what did I find? A brilliant, typical Carroll nonsense poem. ...more
Mark
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who smile easily
Another book I picked up at the Tate last week in Liverpool. More of the Tove Jansson nostalgic illustrations and a beautiful edition which sat happily in my hands last night as I read it aloud in bed. Thank God i live alone. The wonderful tumble of Carroll's rythmic pulsing verse is such fun to burble out and some of the verses made me smile out loud

'He thought of his childhood, left far far behind-
That blissful and innocent state-
The sound so exactly recalled to his mind
A pencil that squeaks o
Trish
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Carroll doesn't really need an introduction. Having brought us the fantastic world of Alice in Wonderland and its sequel, he is not only one of the most well-known authors of classic children's literature, but must have been one of the most inventive and imaginative people on the planet.

Apart from his novels, he also wrote this poem. I must admit to not having known about it. It was during my visit to Munich where I met Chris Riddell that I found out about The Hunting of the Snark since th
Neva
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Те го будеха с кифлички, будеха с лед,
те го будеха с мед и горчица,
те го будеха с троскот и мъдър съвет -
и с числа в непонятна редица..."

Едно най-хубавите неща, които някога съм чела. Когато много умен и начетен човек разказва дивотии с ноншалантен вид и имаме късмета да го преведе много умен и начетен човек, положението става неудържимо радостно. Да не говорим ако цели двама много умни и вещи илюстратори са се погрижили да е интересно и за окото.

Като най-доброто от "Монти Пайтън", но в чисто
Mahendra Singh
Great poem but the illustrator is a debauched, discombubulated fool whose asemic scribblings and ink-blottings cannot stand up to even the most puerile graphical ravings of a den of opium-besotted thuggees, or even the currently uber-hip artiste visually polluting the cover of the New Yorker. Which ever one's worst, that's the one that this artist is worserer than.

Frankly, I think there's something funny about the whole business and I wouldn't be surprised if there's prison time and/or stiff fin
Libby
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for both content, Lewis Carroll's sublimely weird nonsense epic about an ill-fated hunting mission by a group of bizarre characters, and edition, which contains Martin Gardner's playfully brilliant introduction, extensive annotations, and appendices. Carroll says of his eight fits of Snarkdom that there is no real symbolism- the Snark is just a Snark. Or more precisely, a Boojum. Numerous scholars have pooh-poohed this, arguing that no Victorian writer can understand how he is influen ...more
Petya Kokudeva
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Сигурно има много начини да се влюбиш в нонсенса (и по-точно в nonsense verse-a), но моят беше през Едуард Лиър, Огдън Наш и Луис Карол - именно с The Hunting of the Snark. Толкова причудлива сплав от искрен смях и ненатраплив, самоироничен смисъл рядко се среща. Но да не се отплесвам. "На лов за Снарк" на български е истинско пиршество! Майсторски преведена откъм ритъм и стъпка, безукорна в римите (а на места изобилства от тях, има и вътрешноредови даже).

Кристин Димитрова, преводач; Владимир Т
Keith
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the epitome of nonsense verse and the measure by which I compare all others. The verse is beautifully and nimbly handled without sacrificing the humor or the nonsense.

My version has Martin Gardner's annotations which are helpful, but not necessary. Nonsense isn't supposed to make sense!

I highly recommend this book for adults, children, and pets. It is one of my favorite books that I've re-read several dozen times.

(Added note: Boris Karloff has an excellent reading of this that is avail
Denz
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, поезия
обяснителните бележки! <3
марш всички да гугълвате портманто думи, луискароловизми и Kofferwörter!
Shaina
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, alice, borrowed, 2017
The rhyme and verse are very pleasing. I like L.C. with his wide-grinning cats that disappear, jabberwocky, bandersnatch, and all, and so now it is on to this mysterious creature.
I had to reread the last part a few times, but it seems this creature has a special ability not mentioned. Some are perfectly safe in its company and some, are not.
Greg
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best, and certainly the only, nonsense epic poem I've ever read. Found this at Lit. Fest in Chicago, only $8. A steal. I infer that an annotated version of anything is based on scholarly research, so it's funny to me that such a sensical approach was taken to analyze something so nonsensical. But hey, what's more nonsensical than that? It is insightful though, with the illumination of his portmanteau terms, late 19th century vernacular, and such. Did I mention I love this poem? It is hilario ...more
Fran
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, poetry
Just did a dramatic reading of this for my cat. As you do. She curled up and went to sleep. Compliment?

I absolutely adore this poem, and when this edition caught my eye on the shelf while doing some tidying I felt it was time for another reading. I'd love to record this to video someday, so I consider reading it aloud for my cat as rehearsal. Yeah.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not this particular edition (which is cooler than the first one I read). I c9ollected various Carroll editions, so actually, I don't know which one I fell in love with first.
Жор
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Да се чете в пияно състояние. Тъкмо поради това не мога да напиша нищо смислено в момента.
Nathan
Probably my favorite poem to date. This so intrigued me that I returned for a reread the same day.

Much longer than "Jabberwocky," this "Agony in Eight Fits" (as Carroll calls it) is an adventurous, mysterious, brain-tugging story of a sailing crew which sets to find a Snark (whatever it is):

"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; / They pursued it with forks and hope, / They threatened its life with a railway-share; / They charmed it with smiles and soap."

The theme is dark and w
Svetlozara Kabaktchieva
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Прекрасно преживяване е този стихотворен "нонсенс". Ако обаче сте сериозен човек и не обичате безсмислици (тук изведнъж се сетих за бизнесмена от "Малкия принц", който обича да брои звездите, за да ги притежава), хич и не си губете времето с тази мъничка книжка. Ако обаче обичате това, което не е знайно какво е, радвате се на начина, по който думите се наплитат, можете да се смеете на истински смешни неща, значи сте готови за експедицията за търсенето на Снарк. Смятам, че истинското харесване на ...more
Amy (Other Amy)
He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land;
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

The map, of course, is blank. Much of this poem is absence, but where The Jabberwocky fills absence with vague nonsense that somehow expands to suggest a world of dread, the story of the snark simply isn't, until it is, and that was not enough to carry the thing for me. However, this is a fun read, and as I'm turning it over I fin
Мартин Касабов
На лов за Снарк: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...

Препоръчвам книгата, но не на всеки, разбира се. Това е специфично четиво, нонсенс литература - тренировка за любителите на езика и неговите странности. Ние останалите ще се задоволим с кикотене и бутилка ром.

Цялото ревю: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...
Gustav
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Simply put, Mr. Carroll at his finest.
One of the greatest works of nonsense ever.
Bookmaniac70
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Брилянтен превод на Кристин Димитрова, с оригиналните илюстрации на Хенри Холидей. Безупречно издание във всяко едно отношение.

Повече - на сайта "Аз чета".
Sem
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In which a Hemulen and other residents of Moominvalley venture in quest of a Snark -- but only if you read the edition with Tove Jansson's illustrations.
Albena
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ще я науча наизуст и ще ви преследвам с нея.

Изключително добър превод. Ювелирен.
K
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This morning just felt like one of those when I needed to re-read this
Isil
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
La chasse au Snark est une pépite. Pourtant, même si j’adore l’absurde britannique, lire ce poème me faisait peur. Je suis une lectrice de poésie très médiocre alors avec le côté délirant de Carroll, je craignais de ne rien comprendre et de m’ennuyer. Pour être honnête, je crois que je n’y ai pas compris grand-chose et c’est peut-être aussi la preuve que je ne sais pas lire parce que si Carroll a voulu dire quelque chose ou faire passer un message à travers son texte, je suis passée totalement ...more
Fran
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, poetry
Perfection between two hard boards.

This edition is superb. The surreal illustrations of Mahendra Singh are beautiful and just perfect for Snark. The references to other Carroll works, other fiction, artists (Henry Holiday's original illustrations in particular), and goodness knows what else (I couldn't possibly have caught every reference) are amazing and will keep you coming back to this edition time after time. I'm quite sure you'd spot something new each time you read it. The visual jokes th
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I have always loved Lewis Carroll and own a copy of his complete illustrated works but strangely enough, I had never gotten around to reading The Hunting of the Snark Then came the Kindle! Funny, I never would have thought owning a Kindle would mean I would get the chance to read and re-read so many classics ;) Anyway, I came across a free ebook version of The Hunting of the Snark and started reading right away.

The poem is the epitome of nonsense. It is as if Carroll had thrown completely unrela
Jon
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A recent episode of Inspector Lewis on PBS had numerous references to this nonsense poem, and I realized I hadn't read it since junior high. I decided if I was going to re-read it at all, I'd get the annotated version from the library. It's not as good as the Annotated Alice, but I'm grateful for a few of the notes. One was on the stanza:

He was thoughtful and grave--but the orders he gave
Were enough to bewilder a crew.
When he cried, "Steer to starboard, but keep her head larboard!"
What on earth
Ron Ratchford
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read a particular edition of the book and it is not listed among the books on Goodreads' shelf. The one I read was an 1981 edition with a section of the book dedicated to the editing and the original publication of the book. I found the entire book fascinating. The book is in sections and the numbers of the chapters are specific. The man was a math major for heaven sakes.
The story is of a voyage to a place where snarks may be hunted. The passengers on the ship are individuals whose occupation
Victorians!: The Hunting of the Snark 2 19 Nov 28, 2017 03:50PM
  • The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen
  • Goblin Market
  • The Egoist
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...
“For the snark was a boojum, you see.” 15 likes
“For instance, take the two words "fuming" and "furious." Make up your mind that you will say both words, but leave it unsettled which you will say first. Now open your mouth and speak. If your thoughts incline ever so little towards " fuming," you will say "fuming-furious;" if they turn, by even a hair's breadth, towards "furious," you will say "furious-fuming;" but if you have the rarest of gifts, a perfectly balanced mind, you will say "frumious.” 8 likes