Start by marking “Revolt on Alpha C” as Want to Read:
Revolt on Alpha C

Revolt on Alpha C

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
With a mighty twist, the Space Ship Garden lunges into overdrive and shoots out into space. Ahead lies Alpha C IV, eerie world of three suns. But the Carden arrives on Alpha C right in the thick of a revolution against Earth. Treason! Then young cadet Larry Stark finds himself caught up in the revolution on both sides. [Jacket blurb]
Paperback, Third printing (Tab Books TX137), 118 pages
Published February 1963 by Scholastic Book Services (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Revolt on Alpha C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolt on Alpha C

Sandy
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A quick glance at The Quasi-Official Robert Silverberg Web Site will reveal that the author, during the course of his 60-year career, managed to somehow come out with no fewer than 75 science fiction novels, 180 "adult" and crime novels, 450 (!) sci-fi short stories and novellas, 125 adult/crime short stories, and 70 books of nonfiction...not to mention the 130 or so anthologies for which he served as editor! But all great writing careers have to begin somewhere, and for Robert Silverberg, that ...more
Robert Giambo
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the first book I ever bought as a child (4th grade?), long since lost. I was surprised when I ordered a used copy on-line that it was the first novel by Robert Silverberg, a prolific sci-fi author. Not the greatest novel in the world, but started me on the path of reading and buying books.
Grey Wolf
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book from my childhood and I fought my best mate to get it back when he tried to nick it off me!
Roger
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good children's science fiction chapter book from the 1950s, a notch above Tom Swift et al, but not at the more advanced reading level of Robert Heinlein's juvenile series (Citizen of The Galaxy, Tunnel In The Sky, etc.); more like a short entry in the Winston Science Fiction series except in the dilemma the protagonist struggles with after landing on a colonized planet of Alpha Centauri. While young space cadet Larry Stark evades and avoids deciding where his loyalties lie, he's captured by reb ...more
Ruth Adamson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent little story - hey, space AND dinosaurs, what more to want?
However, hero is actually pretty useless, ending is somewhat rushed, and (being fifties sci-fi) every single character is male, which makes me wonder how they plan to keep the planet populated...
Beverly
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book brought back good memories! When I was in grade school in the 1950s, the classes had subscriptions to My Weekly Reader for use in reading instruction, and the school also occasionally purchased books that this company published. I don't recall if Revolt on Alpha C was one of them, but it is a good example of the format: large print for grade-school readers, slightly larger than the normal paperback, printed on pulpier paper than regular paperbacks, and skinny - never more than a half i ...more
Fred D
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't remember exactly when I read this book, it must have been the early '80's. One of the earlier sci-fi books that I read as a child. I don't remember much about it, other than that it took place on a colony on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, that it told the story of the colony's revolt against Mother Earth. The story reminds one of the American Revolution, just set in space. Oh, and the planet Alpha=C has dinosaurs.

I didn't dislike the book. I remember vaguely that it was entertaining.
Excalibur Snape
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The pictures at the beginning of each chapters are so badly done that they are cool.
This is a middle grade science fiction.
It's a little busy space and dinosaurs.
The two favourite topics of young boys and girls.
This is a really fast and interesting story.
I will diffently read it again in the future and I recommend it.
You really feel for these characters they are all so likable.
Kimberly
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A good transition book for a middle-schooler. Easy ideas with higher vocabulary mixed in. The plot is more of a prelude to what you would expect to be the big story. Would be a good discussion-starter and could act as a gateway book to more science fiction.
Stephen Antczak
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-readers
This is one of the books that got me hooked on science fiction.
Robert Steffen
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has stuck with me my entire life.
Frank Taranto
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A good cominhg of age story set on a planet with dinosaurs. I have great feeling for this book because it was the first SF book I remember reading and the first book that I owned for myself.
Rob Roy
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
The beginning of my love affair with Science Fiction. I really do not count the Tom Swift Jr. books.
David Ivester
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Not Silverberg's best effort.
Steve Rainwater
Oct 20, 2012
Emy
Oct 22, 2017 added it
Shelves: 1977-2009
I know I read this twice as a child, but I cannot remember anything more than the title and cover for the life of me! :P
Timothy Craig
Mar 15, 2015
Michael Miller
Feb 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg