Start by marking “Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,623 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
"Along The Shore: Tales by the Sea" is the second charming collection of L.M. Montgomery's rediscovered stories to be reprinted from Rea Wilmshurst's collection. A companion to "Akin to Anne: Tales of Other Orphans," this book offers a wide-ranging selection of Montgomery's tales that exemplify her story-telling art. Linked by the presence of the sea, these sixteen tales a ...more
Published February 1st 1990 by McClelland & Stewart (first published May 13th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Along the Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along the Shore

Valérie Forgues
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lu
Reçu en cadeau de Noël quand j'avais 13 ou 14 ans.
Aucun esprit critique, aucun recul malgré les années qui me séparent de cette lecture, juste un magnifique souvenir. C'est peut-être lié à la fin de l'enfance.
Gravé dans mon cœur comme tous les livres de Lucy Maud Montgomery.
Elinor  Loredan
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-m-montgomery, 2011
There are several extremely sad stories in this collection, I think because LMM always thought that the sea itself sounds sad. Mackereling Out on the Gulf, for instance, does not end in a happy ending for the hero, but it is very moving. Others are simply hopeless (The Waking of Helen, A Strayed Allegiance), yet they hold beauty. Most of the stories are actually funny and end happily. I love A Sandshore Wooing and Fair Exchange and No Robbery. The Unhappiness of Miss Farquhar holds a moral that ...more
Yue
It is so hard to say/think/write this, but I am a bit disappointed with this collection of stories. I am a hardcore fan of LMM and I know she was an exceptional writer, no doubt in that area. Her descriptions in these stories are wonderful as always; to me, every time I read her books is like visiting an old friend. It is like I've met these characters before, and like I've been in those places before.

Alas, not in this book. The characters at least. Except maybe for a couple of them, because the
Rosalba
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
This collection revolves around stories connected with the sea, and, being in love with L.M. Montgomery's books, I was none too glad this was our December selection over at the L.M. Montgomery Book Club here on Goodreads.
I liked this stories, although not as I had liked other collections, say, the Chronicles of Avonlea. Perhaps it was not the wisest choice to collect L.M. Montgomery' s short stories in themes, it makes reading them monotonous. Some of them repeat the same formula, such as a ha
Jessie Barrett
I have mixed feelings about this book. L.M. Montgomery is a master storyteller and in this book she does not disappoint. But the book is made up of short stories and each story left me wanting MORE! Not just tidbits of reading pleasure! I want the buffet!
Linnae
Lovely diversion for short chunks of time.

One of L.M. Montgomery's short story collections, taken from stories published in various magazines. The stories run the gamut from playful to heart-wrenching to haunting--mirroring the moods of the sea, perhaps.

Quite a few involve romance, unrequited or otherwise: "Fair Exchange and No Robbery" was a bit predictable, but fun. "A Sandshore Wooing" was likewise light-hearted, while "A Strayed Allegience," and "Mackereling Out in the Gulf" had more serious
Cathie Maud
Not the most interesting anthology. Some of these short stories later found their way into LMM's later novels in more polished and interesting format. A Sandshore Wooing, Young Si, and The Unhappiness of Miss Farquhar were the three most interesting for me.
Skye
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was okay. Some were better then others. You could definitely see some of these stories reused in the Anne books.
Kereesa
Montgomery both soothes my soul and breaks my heart.
Hayden
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, other-genre
I'm always a fan of L.M. Montgomery, but this collection was a disappointment. It contained a few "recycled" stories that had plots reused in other works ("The Life-book of Uncle Jesse" have a familiar ring? A boy named Paul with his rock people also made an appearance...) The thing is, I decided on this book because out of the short story collections of L.M. Montgomery that I haven't read, this one had the highest Amazon rating. huh. Most of the stories were forgettable and some downright depre ...more
Christina
As with all the collections, there are some good, some bad stories here. I tend to prefer Montgomery with a lighter touch (except when she goes REALLY REALLY dark, which is why I like the "Emily" trilogy and the "Among the Shadows" collection best), by which I mean the stories that just breeze along (heroic doggies! Ministers who wear raincoats! Love affairs conducted through telescopes using sign language!). Otherwise you get stuck with people who say "hitherto" in conversation and a lot of des ...more
Kerry
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was mildly disappointed in this collection of stories. Don't get me wrong, the stories were good. Its just that that the author recycled characters and plots from her earlier short stories for her books. So as I read these stories, I was reading (in some cases word for word) excerpts from books I had already read and I was hoping for something new. Captain Jim from Anne's House of Dreams, Paul Irving from Anne of Avonlea, even shades of Barney Snaith from the Blue Castle.... they are all in he ...more
Laura Bang
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, shorts
Some good, some meh, and unfortunately my least favorite was the last one so it left a bad taste. The arrangement was rather poorly done, too -- if you're going to have stories on a theme, then you have to at least separate the ones with the exact same plot so that they're not right next to each other.

Still, there are some good stories in here, and it's interesting to see some of the characters Montgomery later recycled in other stories, particularly the Anne books. And I liked the range of mood
Kerith
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Many of the LM Montgomery short story anthologies can read fairly redundantly, since editor Rea Wilmshurst has grouped many of them into themes. This group of stories is less so - the theme is of stories by the sea, a place close to Montgomery's heart, and therefore the stories range from romances to children's tales to those of family love, all closely linked by place. Romances do tend to lead the way, of course, as she certainly does those best. Some characters will seem familiar (Paul and Nor ...more
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
I have to say that this collection was a bit better than 'The Doctor's Sweetheart' and 'Among the Shadows', though I didn't like two stories 'The Awakening of Helen' and 'A House Divided'. I know that most of these stories were written about a hundred years ago, but I was dismayed at the use of the 'n' word in the latter story I mentioned. But some of the other stories were good reads. If you're a LM Montgomery fan, then you should check out this collection. There's a few not-so-good stories, bu ...more
I don't like her short stories nearly as well as her novels because it seems like the point you get into the story, it's over. The are nice when you don't have a lot of time to devote to reading and I tend to read these as a story here and there while reading other books (I even set it aside for a bit). It's cool that her short stories are edited into themed anthologies. I noticed a few of the stories in this one are weaved into her later books...more fleshed out. I do love her descriptions of n ...more
Sue
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada
I like her short stories. They vary in quality, and don't all have happy endings, and these stories all related to the ocean. I enjoyed "The Life-Book of Uncle Jesse" published in 1909 that told of an old sailor whose wonderful stories were published for the world to read. I also liked "Four Winds" which was the longest and had more character development. It was about a young minister who falls in love with a relusive girl with a mystery and then ends with a twist. I don't read short stories all ...more
Tara
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Some beautiful stories, some witty ones, some simplistic ones. It's interesting reading a lot of Montgomery's short stories in a row, because they're often similar. Enough so that I can predict the outcome of most of the stories. But her writing style is still beautiful (although I only thought of it as "slow" when I was 12). Definitely a different pace, but almost always a feel-good story.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
T. Finley
Because of my love of L.M. Montgomery's lesser known works, I started this book with high expectations. Maybe a little two high. The book wasn't necessarily bad, I just didn't think it could compete with some of Montgomery's other collections.
Did I like it? It was ok.
Would I reread it? Probably not.
Would I recommend it? Maybe for die-hard L.M. Montgomery fans. I wouldn't use this book to introduce new readers to the author.
Anna
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This collection of stories is somewhat uneven. My favorites are the witty like "Fair exchange" and the pleasant like "Unhappiness of Miss Farquar" while I dislike the unhappy and depressing like "The Awakening of Helen". This collection also has a lot of stories that made it into Montgomery's novels so if like me you have read all the novels several times those will seem a bit repetitious, although it is interesting to see the changes made when they became part of the various larger works.
Marlo
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I finally had to give up on finishing this book. I wanted to like it, to become emotionally invested in the characters like I was with other novels by L.M. Montgomery. There just wasn't enough there. Some of the short stories were sweet and touching, but most were saccharine. The lighthouse story was probably the only one I would recommend.
Charity
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Anne of Green Gables series
Yet another great book by the author of the Anne of Green Gables series! Here in this book are many short stories written by L. M. Montgomery, that were for various magazines of her time; amazingly enough if you've read the Anne of Green Gables stories, you'll likely reconize MANY of the short stories in this book, that helped create the series.
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not much of a short story person...I'm not sure why. I did, however, enjoy many of the stories in this collection. From reading some of the other reviews here, I have to agree that fans of L.M. Montgomery will either love this book because it's more Montgomery, or they will be unsatisfied with the recycling of some of her characters/plots.
Kate
May 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite collections of Montgomery's short stories. The woman loved the sea, and it sparks up the short stories, most of which were written for cash from magazines and tailored to specific audiences. The shore lifestyles appeal to me more than the farmland stories, so I prefer these stories to many of her others.
Megan
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book is a collection of short stories and is really very sweet. If you've read the Anne series then you will be able to recognize LM's style pretty quickly, but that doesn't make it any less fun to read.
Morgan
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of digging short stories right now. They're so easy to consume. I didn't particularly LOVE these ones. I found my mind wandering. Some were a little darker than I have come to expect from L.M.M. Would I read them again? Of course.
Heidi-Marie
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, period
I love Montgomery's short stories! I love her writing, but I don't always have time to read an entire story. Short stories are the best solutions. And she is still just as descriptive of scenery and forms great characters. I especially like this one with all of the seaside settings.
Hessie
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely read for any Montgomery fan. It isn't my favorite collection of hers but it is interesting to compare these earlier writings to her later ones. You can see the depth that she developed as a writer over the years. You can also see where the best of the stories ended up in her novels.
Emily
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are well-written, and I wished that some of them could go on longer. Some of the personalities and settings would be familiar to someone who has read more of Montgomery's works, but they were well done.
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • A Modern Cinderella
  • Tales of the North
  • The Road Past Altamont
  • Lunar Activity
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse (Cherry Ames, #9)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Thursday's Child
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • Extraordinary Canadians: L.M. Montgomery
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Heidi's Children (Heidi sequel, #3)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Fiction Deals

• Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • 600 Hours of Edward
  • Prayers for the Stolen
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Golden Age: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Rejected Writers' Book Club (Southlea Bay, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99