Start by marking “Happy Birthday to You!: How Two Kentucky Kindergarten Teachers Wrote the Most Famous Song in the World (True Stories)” as Want to Read:

To each of us who has enjoyed a piece of birthday cake, the strains of "Happy Birthday to You" are as familiar to our ears as our own names. Yet how many people know the origin of the tune and its place in American history? In 1889 Patty and Mildred Hill, two Kentucky sisters, wrote the words and composed the melody of "Good Morning to All" for their kindergarten students. ...more
Published August 20th 2008 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published June 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday to You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday to You!

Start your review of Happy Birthday to You!: How Two Kentucky Kindergarten Teachers Wrote the Most Famous Song in the World (True Stories)
Melki
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story of how a song written to welcome kindergartners to school turned into one of the most recognizable ditties of all time. The illustrations by Chris K. Soentpiet are simply amazing, particularly the facial expressions.

I know much has been made over the fact that this frequently sung song was copyrighted, and cost quite a bit of money to perform in public, but as the author explains in the back of the book - the sisters only attempted to prove ownership of their song after discove
Carina Spring
Grades 3-5 because the words on the page can be tricky and in paragraph form.

This book is about the history of the Happy Birthday song. It describes how it was first created and follows Patty Hill and her journey in introducing songs such as this one into the classroom. It also shows how it was not easy for her to take credit for the song because she did not think it would become famous until she heard it being used in a play.

This book is something fun to keep in the classroom. It could be a g
Elis Rodrigues
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book because I learned about who invented the song Happy birthday to you!
Katherine Salinas
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: olivia-read
I really enjoy books that are made for kids but teach them something that many people would enjoy knowing.
That said, it felt..clunky. The illustrations are colorful and beautiful. It sometimes looked as if modern day people dressed in early 1900 clothes to model for the illustrator though. Something just seemed "off" and not with the time period the illustrator was trying to portray. They were VERY realistic and therefore I feel the best part of the book.
The writing, however, was clunky. Was the
Lynn
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf
Just how did that song come into being? This is the story! With interesting phrases and enough detail to help the reader understand their lives and the events.
(the tune)..."held happiness" is my favorite line!

I just realized this is the same author who wrote several of my other favorite books, "Rags" and "Mercedes" about WWI and WWII. This is an historical fiction writer I want to follow more closely!
Realistic watercolor pictures done in detail with much light reflection in Soentpiet's expected
Whitney Rachel
the style was a bit too funky for my liking. however, the story is pretty darn interesting and the illustrations are lovely. that's the only reason it got as many stars as it did.
Judy Desetti