Start by marking “Hi, How Are You?: The Life, Art, & Music of Daniel Johnston” as Want to Read:
Hi, How Are You?: The Life, Art, & Music of Daniel Johnston

Hi, How Are You?: The Life, Art, & Music of Daniel Johnston

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Daniel Johnston is widely recognised as one of the pioneers of alternative indie music. His problems with mental illness are well known, and visual art has provided an alternative outlet in the periods when he was physically incapable of making music.
Published February 25th 2015 by Last Gasp (first published December 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, How Are You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, How Are You?

Mark
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
A must for any DJ fan, but even folks who have never heard his music would probably dig his story, if only for the time he thought his dad was Satan and threw the keys of the plane out the window- oh yeah, did I mention his dad was flying a plane at the time??? I know it's tough for some people to get into his music, as it does feel exploitative sometimes, but if there was one thing Daniel wanted, it was to share his music with people, mentally ill or not.
Matt Evans
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mr. Johnson is severely bi-polar, but he's nevertheless influenced a generation of pop-stars and songwriters. I came to this book by way of "The Devil and Daniel Johnston", a documentary that you should go watch right now if you've never heard of this "American John Lennon".
Alex Ehrler
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A tender romp-around through the mind of the enigmatic outsider singer-songwriter/visual artist, Daniel Johnston. Wholesome, heartfelt. I am an enormous fan of Johnston's work as a musician and as an artist.

I feel angry and at times wonder if the spotlight hipsters have put on him is exploitative and condescending, but I try hard to shy away from such sentiments. They're cynical and non-constructive. I prefer to keep the music of Daniel Johnston where it belongs: deep in my soul. His story inspi
Alan
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a hodgepodge of Daniel Johnston-related writings (mostly about him, but a few by him as well), as well as tons of samples of his art. As a DJ fan, I loved it, and probably anyone with an interest in an amazing story would appreciate it, but it's not your typical bio.
That said, it has some fascinating insights. I particularly like the section that breaks down his art and ties it to the characters and themes in his music. Also fascinating is the transcript of an interview DJ gave from
Tim