Start by marking “The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1)

Read Book

The Midnight Sea

(The Fourth Element #1)

They are the light against the darkness.

The steel against the necromancy of the Druj.

And they use demons to hunt demons….

Nazafareen lives for revenge. A girl of the isolated Four-Legs Clan, all she knows about the King's elite Water Dogs is that they leash wicked creatures called daevas to protect the empire from the Undead. But when scouts arrive to recruit young people w
Published March 26th 2016 by Acorn Publishing

Lonna | FLYLēF
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: The Midnight Sea at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com)

GUARD YOUR HEART. For in The Midnight Sea, Kate Ross delivers a riveting fantasy of unparalleled proportions that stole a piece of mine. And in return, she has planted a memory of a gorgeously cinematic dreamscape inhabited by bold and brilliant characters. It is a thoroughly engaging story filled with action, suspense, and romance. I want more memories—I want more of The Midnight Sea.

After witnessing the death of her baby sister by an
Cindy Pham
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was okay - a pretty standard fantasy book. I like the slow buildup of the main characters' relationship, and found the villain to be both intimidating and compelling. I appreciate that the book isn't afraid to depict trauma and violence (amputations, etc.) which makes this a more mature/serious YA. But otherwise I don't have enough strong feelings about it to rate it 4 stars or higher.
Sylvia Mercedes
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This amazing adventure was one of my three favorite reads of February! So, to celebrate the launch of my new website, I'm giving away a print copy of it along with two others (including "Caraval" in hardbound!) Visit my website to enter the giveaway!

February Giveaway photo FebruaryGiveaway_zps0tdrsvuh.jpg

Thanks for helping me celebrate. I'm so excited to continue adventuring in this world of book reviews with all of you!

All right, this was some seriously impressive storytelling! Everything about this world was so vivid and real, which meant the char
Ashley
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can see this and other reviews on my blog: Book Nerd Paradise

Well, this was another sleepless night on the books ... and I mean that in a good way. If you're looking for the perfect fantasy then you can stop what you're doing and check out The Midnight Sea. There's lots of action, story/character building, more action, drama and a dash of romance.

The story starts off with death and mayhem as we're quickly introduced to the evil Druj. Nazafareen watches as one possesses her younger sister, a
Laura P.
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone out there
Actual rating: 4.30 stars

I stumbled across this book completely by chance. As the story goes, one day The Midnight Sea popped up in my Goodreads feed, the cover attracted my attention and so I checked out the plot and it sounded interesting enough. Sooo I picked it up and well here am I, totally glad I did.

The book left me pleasantly surprised; I wasn’t expecting to like it so much as I did or to care about the characters as much as I did (and I am). The Midnight Sea turned out to be a wonderful
Dawn
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Netanella, Christina Ochs
Recommended to Dawn by: Freebie. Notified by Bookbub.com
5 stars!

Got this as a freebie and I am so surprised at how much I love this book.

Lots of great conflict, 3 dimensional characters, excellent world building and a FANTSTIC antagonist!

I cannot summarize the plot, it's just too complicated and I am too tired.

I will just say the following:

I love the heroine and the hero. The heroine pretty much acts in the same manner that I would in the same situation, so her actions are believable to me.

I think what rocks this book is the antagonist. He is a good
Glory
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Больше всего цепляют книги, от которых совсем ничего не ждешь – в который раз убеждаюсь.
В данном случае аннотация меня не то чтобы сильно заинтересовала, как и обложка… безусловно яркая, но лично мне ни о чем не говорящая.
Но оказалось, что под ней скрывается удивительная история.
Минусы тоже есть, и неслабые такие, о них я скажу в конце. А пока…

Начать с того, что история оригинальна. По крайней мере, не возникало ощущения, что я такое уже читала. В какой-то момент проскользнула ассоциация с «Проп
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jan 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
Kindle freebie YA fantasy, 1/17/2017. First book in a trilogy, so bear that in mind.
Belinda
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars - English free Ebook - I was thinking the leading character in this book was a boy but in fact it is a girl. A girl from the four leg clan. Way up in the mountains. After her sister is beeing killed by a Wight, she joint the Water Dogs, an elite fighting group, working for the king. The are bonded to deava who are able to work water, earth and wind. Only fire is impossible. They burn when they come to close to the holy fire. Nazafareen and her deava Darius have a lot of adventures who ...more
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4 Stars *****

Nazafareen lost her younger sister to an evil demon. So when she gets the opportunity to join the Water Dogs, she volunteers to get her revenge.

Water Dog's are some of the King's elite soldiers against the evil demons. They train for years until they are bonded with a daēva. These daēvas have magical powers, but they are treated like dirt even though they fight for the King.

Darius is the daēva that gets paired with Nazafareen. Their bond goes through many ups and downs as th
Crazy4Books
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
I would like to thank the author Kat Ross for sending me a review copy. It took me way too long to pick this up. After over a month of staring at it in longing I was finally able to pick it up. I had so many other review books that were due last month that I only had a chance to read the first few pages. I immediatly liked what I was reading and Im happy to finally be able to dive in.

After losing someone to a demon possession Naza decides to join the Water Dogs to become a demon killing soldier.
Angigames
Libro da cui non mi aspettavo grandi cose e che invece mi ha completamente stupito!
Narrazione serrata, storia molto bella, innovativa, gestita benissimo. Un fantasy molto particolare, incalzante e complesso, pieno di colpi di scena ed estremamente dinamico!
È stata un’avventura meravigliosa, emozionante e sempre imprevedibile, non mi aspettavo tanta bellezza, non pensavo di rimanerne così coinvolta!
Ho adorato ogni cosa, sono super curiosa…
Spero che la Dunwich Edizioni pubblichi in fretta i seguit
Emma
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
So I started reading this last night when I got bored and could be bothered turning on a light, I got this for free on IBooks last year. Boy was this book a damn journey! Heart wrenching at times and joyful at others I will be sure to finish this series!
Oh and Nazafareen and Darius are my new OTP.
I’d die for them both lmao.
Sabrina
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Checkout my full review and giveaway on my blog!! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

“We are the light against the darkness,” he said. “Never forget that, Nazafareen.”

The Midnight Sea is a unique magical world set long ago. There are 4 main elements, water, earth, air, and fire. Magic and spirits has been around forever but the most challenging is how to harness these powers. This world is set during the Greek period with Middle Eastern History.

I’ll be honest, I judged this book by its co
Alexandra
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I received a copy from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

One of the most interesting read of the previous month was "The Midnight Sea". I was quite surprised to see that this book was so well written and that its characters felt so real! Nazafareen has the gift to see and fight the Druj, the demons who haunt her world and the Empire. So she is taken from her clan and she grows into the ranks of the Water Dogs, the group of the fighter
Minni Mouse
3.5 stars. If I'd known there was a glossary of terms at the end of the book, that would have saved me a whole lot of confusion and rereading 😤. At around the 46% mark in the book I had to stop and re-skim the beginning for the info dump that was so weakly done as an info dump that I didn't even know that was what it was. Grr.

All in all, this book would have been fantastic if written by Marie Rutkoski or Marie Lu. For the relationship aspect between Nazafareen and Darius, they have nothing on Ke
Mitch
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-favorites
Frankly, this is the first fantasy book I've really liked in a long time, and I read many of them. The good reviews speak for themselves, plus Kat Ross is a natural at fantasy mythology / Greco-Persian history and culture. The rare book I'm keeping an eye out for the sequel.
Lučka
4.5*
I really enjoyed this book. Fast paced with lots of action.
Carey Fletcher
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because by reading the synopsis I really couldn't tell exactly what it was about, but yet it intrigued me. The reason I couldn't understand what it was about was because it is about a made up world and situations. Oh to have this kind of imagination! I believe there are actually made up words in the book. At least they were unfamiliar to me and when I pressed down on them on my Kindle, it was not able to find a definition.

As I started to read the book I was concerned that I wo
Alyssa Janine Busia
Another world for fantasy readers to explore and to enjoy.

Nazafareen’s sister was taken by a wight, a kind of druj, that leaves her uncle no other choice but to kill her sister. It was a nightmare that continuously hunted her and it only stopped when she joined the Water Dogs and was bonded with Darius, a daeva. Being bonded was not easy as she needs to share her emotions to Darius. As time passed by, everything started to change – she was starting to see that daevas were not evil and definite
Tamara
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it

I received a copy from instafreebies.com.

The revelations at the end made me smile. But otherwise, the book was blah blah blah....
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

While I did get this book through Amazon's Kindle Unlimited program, I am participating in a blog tour. I can promise you that this did not affect my rating or review.

The Midnight Sea is the first in a YA fantasy series set in a world very similar to ours a few thousand years ago. It follows the story of Nazafareen, a nomad girl turned Warrior Dog, willingly trained to kill Durj (demons) and necromancers with a bonded daeva, Darius. When a powerful force breaks free from
DaBear
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
2-3 stars?

First 50% of this book almost bored me to tears. So slow and nothing happening. Mostly just thoughts of female main character. I found myself skipping pages.

Then drama and action started. Finally this book got my attention.

I didn't really like Nazafareen at first but I warmed up to her by the middle of this book. Strong and fearless.

Darius was ok, I guess? We didn't get to know him, just that he has his walls around his feelings and thoughts all the time.

Romance was very weak and
Jessica Therrien
What? A new book by Kat Ross? Yep, and it's totally okay for you to freak out. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Feel better? ;)

Are you ready for me to super-rave about MIDNIGHT SEA and all its awesome? It's the kind of awesome you search for on the YA shelves at B&N. The kind of awesome you're just hooooping will sucks you in the way Hunger Games did or Divergent, whatever your poison...and then it's BETTER. THAT kind of awesome.

Feel free to judge it by its cover (To be revealed on Feb. 23rd)...go right
Gelisvb
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally I have read this and I am very happy to have finally caved.this is not a hyped book, but it should be. I have read nothing but good reviews for this.And for once well deserved.
It starts like every Ya ever, but it's full of Persian mythology and historical facts. The plot is interesting and the characters are all gray. For example the Mc struggle for a good part of the book against her prejudices and not all the things she does are always likable. I also enjoyed the romance, even if I hav
Stacey Kym
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ARC kindly provided by Kat Ross in exchange for an honest review.

Review

‘The Midnight Sea’ is my first novel by the lovely authoress Kat Ross. And BOY does she write compelling, thriving blurbs! It was the blurb that captured me first! (Have you read it? Go read it!) And the cover SECOND! My opinions and expectations for the first novel in 'The Fourth Elements' series were HIGH. With what the Kat Ross gave to her future-readers in the blurb: I think I had already mentally rated it a five

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey)
Full review can be read at The Nocturnal Fey

FINAL RATING - 4 STARS OUT OF 5

*I received a review copy for a Blog Tour. It didn't, in any way, affect my review*

When I saw the cover of The Midnight Sea, I was immediately fascinated. It was stunning! I was both excited and nervous to read the book because when I read books with stunning covers, I expect just the same greatness of story within.

Kat Ross didn't fail her readers. The Midnight Sea was a brilliantly written story that every Greek period a
❥ Azzurra
12.05.2016: Soo good! One of the best fantasy books I've read this year.

11.27.2016: Free on Amazon...YAY
Winter Sophia Rose
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Riveting, Refreshing, Compelling, Unique, Memorable, Fascinating, Magical & Action Packed! An Awesome Read! I Loved it!
Dai
¡Necesito el segundo, ya!

• The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius, #12)
  • Fury (The Cure, #1)
  • Mayan Blood (The Stone Legacy, #1)
  • Unsoul'd
  • Scorn of Angels (The Descended, #2)
  • Surge (Wheezers #1)
  • Ascendancy (The Van Winkle Project, #2)
  • Veiled Shadows (The Age of Alandria, #2)
  • Reckoning of Dragons: Dragon Killer, Roll the Bones & Sirensbane
  • Red Winter (Red Winter Trilogy, #1)
  • Un po' di follia in primavera
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
  • Awaken (New Bloods, #1)
  • The Stone Guardian
  • Hear No (Hidden Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Unmasking of Cinderella (Enchanted Fairytales, #4)
  • The Emperor's Edge Collection (The Emperor's Edge, #1-3)
I've always loved to read more than anything in the world, especially so-called genre stories—mysteries, fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, horror. I like books that take you by the hand and lead you out of the mundane. That ease back the curtain and show you the wondrous and dark and unexpected lurking just around the next corner. I worked in journalism for a long time before I returned to writing ficti ...more

The Fourth Element (3 books)
  • Blood of the Prophet (The Fourth Element #2)
  • Queen of Chaos (The Fourth Element, #3)
“The world is in an eternal struggle against good and evil,” he would say to me. “But the most important war is fought here.” Ilyas would tap his chest. “It is not the barbarians, nor even the Druj, that we must fear the most, Nazafareen. It is the enemy within.” I” 6 likes
“Even if I could be free I would choose you…” 5 likes