Start by marking “De Macht van Harvell (Het Boek der Woorden, #3)” as Want to Read:
De Macht van Harvell (Het Boek der Woorden, #3)

De Macht van Harvell

(The Book of Words #3)

Verdere intriges en complotten rond het hof van Harvell.
Published August 31st 1998 by Meulenhoff-M (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about De Macht van Harvell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Macht van Harvell

Start your review of De Macht van Harvell (Het Boek der Woorden, #3)
Kyle
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Not as great as I'd hoped but still a really good ending to the epic trilogy.

First, it's going to be hard to write this review without spoilers but I'm going to do my best. This book continues to follow the pattern of the previous two books in the series by bouncing from main character to main character to drive the plot forward. As the story is told from each of these character's points of view you learn more and more about that character thus building a rich and detailed picture of just who

Evgeny
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The prophesy, which was revealed practically in the beginning of the first book finally came to pass. Despite this fact it was not clear up until the middle of this book how exactly things will end: the world was too bleak and gloomy for ordinary happy end.

At this point I have to talk about the whole trilogy. The first book was really good; the series would have its place among the classic of the genre had the last two been on the same level. Unfortunately the second book was plain boring after
Benjamin Thomas
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
A terrific finale to the trilogy! When I originally picked up the first book in the set, The Baker's Boy I remember thinking this would be a bit of a risk. It appeared to be traditional fantasy, similar to so much of what was coming out in the '90s and it would require some investment of time on my part. I even referred to the title of the first book as implying this would be an 'assistant pig-keeper" sort of fantasy trilogy...more fluff than anything else. Would it be worth my time? Fortunately ...more
AMAZING!!!
I loved these books! The ending was satisfying... I was scared the author was going to put a major horrible twist with some loved character dying.. but no!
Tawl <3 im glad you got all your heart desired!
I loved how everyone in the books all came together to sort out the problems and that this book was unpredictable, well written and kept me from going to bed at 7 and reading till late into the night... the type of book I carried around with me at all times...
Im sad its over, but it
Dan
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Fitting end to a really enjoyable series.
Data
Hurray! a trilogy that ends, before I got tired of the characters (and before they all died). A bit silly that I am so easy to please, but I just can't help myself sometimes.
James C
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going into this book I was wondering how J.v. Jones was going to tie off so many loose ends in one book. Luckily, this did not lead to a plot line that stretched the imagination or a really quick narrative that failed to entertain. No, instead it produced an action packed book, literally teeming with adventures, fun and whatnot. A perfect ending to a perfect series.

I was tempted when I put it down to give it a five stars but then I thought a moment and decided that it was a very high four
Adam Koerner
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I've officially finished the "Book of Words" trilogy.

Needless to say, I'm reminded why I love it so much. It really does engage me in an emotional way that doesn't happen too often. At the same time, I'm also reminded of how much the final book annoys me.

First off, there are a bunch of subplots that are introduced as solely filler. This author gets you to be emotionally involved with the characters, then introduces subplots that you just don't care about. At the end of the day, I ended up
Marit
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Each installment in the Book of Words trilogy is better than the last. Jones takes stereotypical fantasy characters, a fair knight, a beautiful highborn lady, a nobody boy with earth-shaking magical powers, and turns them into real people with depth whom you grow strongly attached to. The plot is intricate but never cobweb-messy and the pace is kept up by Jones' switching to different viewpoints within chapters. The writing itself is not remarkable but more straightforward and no-nonsense. I ...more
Carrie Mudge
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The best of the series. A good plot twist kick starts the action, and the book proceeds at a quickened pace to its predecessors, with all the major characters becoming fully realised and even more interesting. A fairly satisfying ending - a couple of strands tied up a bit too glibly (the Knights' camp scene), but overall very well done. The only thing that was missing was resolution to the Kedrac sideline, he just dropped off the map. A wee additional epilogue, to link him in with Melli's ...more
Ebi
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing conclusion to the Book of Words. J.V Jones breaks up a lot of tropes, but also uses a lot of them, so a mixed bag in that sense. Things don't turn out as you thought they might, but they turn out just fine. Isn't that what life is mostly about anyway?
Can't review it in greater detail without giving away spoilers, so I'll just say that the series is a good read. It won't change the way you look at things, it won't make you think too much, and it is lacking in depth, but it's a good
S Pearlyan
3.5 stars.
I liked how Jones tied up all the loose ends, But I also felt that they tied up too neatly.
Few things made me feel like I'm watching a movie where everything comes together, just because it had to end.
That said, It was definitely a fun read and I don't mind the fact that I spent last 6 hours doing nothing but reading it.
Mike (the Paladin)
The conclusion of the trilogy. I liked it. One thing I continue to point out, looking at a synopsis you may say that this sounds like "standard fantasy". the character types will be familiar...in this volume Jack must learn to handle his "newly discovered" magical ability. Seen it before, right? but these are still fresh. the characters are their own and they are good stories. Enjoy.
Adam Whitehead
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melliandra, Maybor and Tawl are in hiding in the city of Bren as the mad King Kylock expands his power across the north. As armies march and cities burn, Jack discovers how to control his power and learns that his road leads to the forbidding island of Larn.

Master and Fool is the final volume of J.V. Jones's Book of Words trilogy. As is traditional with these sort of things, epic climaxes are reached, daring deeds are undertaken and destinies are fulfilled. However, Jones undertakes these
Benvolio
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not Great

This segment focuses heavily on action and most of the mysteries have been resolved. It’s still solid storytelling. I would recommend the entire series for some cozy fantasy. It is addicting.
Barb Sager
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read this trilogy again. Good characters, evil villains, knights, magic, intrigue. What more could you want? A bit of a different spin in some regards, happy and sad loss of characters. A good author.
Karen Cowgill
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! Read this book in two sittings.
Jon
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, fantasy, owned
Good, not great. Definitely worth a read, but don't come into it expecting greatness or you'll be disappointed. Come at it with the understanding that it's a moderately well done story with some solid parts and you'll enjoy it. 4.25 stars, but I rounded up because the series overall is a 4.5
Anna
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished this series because I wanted to know what was going to happen, but it was not necessary, because what happened was exactly what I predicted would happen.
Writing and world-building were really lazy; there were a lot of ex-machina moments. Also, there were snatches of would-be descriptive writing which just seemed forced and some phrases that kept being used, like "lad" and "aye" by all characters.
The plot was contrived and based around the prophesy and chosen-one trope with no twists
Michael
Well, this was an exciting end to the series. I did not like it as much as the first two for some reason. Maybe was a little to heavy on the redemption toward the end? Especially the mean, villianous trull/sadistic jailkeeper/informant to the evil overlord that somehow ends up being a loving caretaker to the kid of her prisoner. Also I had hoped the Archbishop would meet some heinous demise. There is another series from JVJ, and maybe the characters carry through. If that were the intention then ...more
Kiel Van Horn
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a few quick notes, since I read this a while ago.

Jones definitely caught her stride in this one. All the threads came together. Made me really wish that the three books were written as just one.

I still can't quite get a finger on why I feel Jones is a good author but not quite one of the greats. Maybe it's the scope of the story. She's not really going for "epic" ... seems to be just going for "fun."

Riki Strydom
I was expecting better closure to the series that had this long a buildup. This was not really a classic epic fantasy in the sense that everything works out perfectly. All character just basically carry on. Characters ended as such:(view spoiler)
Myckaila Leach
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-recently
This book is very interesting because it shows more than one persons point of view. I really enjoyed how all the characters' stories ended up combining. I also enjoyed the fact that even if you didn't read ever characters story you could still follow the plot.
Eric Leblanc
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not very excited by the first two volumes of this trilogy, however Master and Fool, the last one of the trilogy, was a very good read. The entire trilogy however is in my opinion of lesser quality compared to the Sword of shadows serie.
Jenna Mills
I enjoyed this final part of the trilogy, and didn't want to put it down. I did find the odd, small thing disjointed which irritated me on occasion, and would have liked a more wrapped-up ending involving one character in particular.
Duane Simolke
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Terry Goodkind.
Fantasy and scifi series tend to go on too long, so I tend to just jump in during any volume of a series. In this case, I started with the final book. No worries; Jones catches the readers up and quickly plunges them into an exciting world of intrigue, betrayal, and suspense.
Zack Butcher
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great series. Great characters, a lot of different viewpoints and also had a lot of strong female characters which can be rare in fantasy novels. I definitely recommend this to any one interested in fantasy.
Daniel Garcia
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read book 1 about 13 years ago. Loved it. Never got to finish it, until today. I finally finished the last book. Great trilogy. Great characters. I'm disappointed its over, but it was a good read. I'll never forget it.
Denise
Jul 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read these years ago and remember not liking them much, but I was younger then, so I figured I'd give them another try... I still feel these are some of the most trite, stereotypical fantasy novels I've ever read.
April
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fab! Loved this series! Lovely straight forward fantasy with villians to hate, creepy kings to hate, heroes to love and old wise men to adore. Not dark, not overly unique, but a very good read all the same!

• To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • The Talismans of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #4)
  • Renegade's Magic (Soldier Son, #3)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Wild Ducks Flying Backward
Julie Victoria Jones was born in Liverpool, England. She has been writing for years, and is currently working The End Lords. She lives in San Diego, California.

All three books in The Book Of Words Trilogy are #1 national bestsellers, and have been bought for publication in England, Poland, Russia, Germany, France and Holland. Her fifth book, A Cavern of Black Ice, is the first in a new series.

J.V.

The Book of Words (3 books)
  • The Baker's Boy (Book of Words, #1)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)