Start by marking “The Apartment” as Want to Read:
The Apartment

The Apartment

A high-concept psychological chiller about a troubled married couple on a house swap from hell. An Anchor Original.

Mark and Steph live an idyllic life with their young daughter in sunny Cape Town until one day when three men in masks violently break in. Traumatized but physically unharmed, Mark and Steph are unable to return to normal and are living in constant fear. When
Published October 4th 2016 by Anchor Books (first published July 26th 2016)

Melissa
Another book that failed to live up to the hype.
Being peddled as a “terrifying tour de force of horror” leads one to have certain expectations. And frankly, this story didn’t even come close to hitting that mark, for this reader. Dull, dreary and mundane is the best way I can describe this so-called “high-concept psychological chiller”.

I have to give the author credit though for hooking me in with the opening of the story. In the back of my mind, I was all set for a dark and sinister version of
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Unfortunately this one didn't quite live up to expectations for me. This was marketed as horror; a supposedly chilling and terrifying read that ended up being more of a slow building suspense that didn't quite work for me in the end. I can see how this is a hard one to place in a specific genre; it wasn't quite horror, psychological suspense, or a thriller, but it did have elements of each of those bent into one mash up. I think I was just not the right reader for this one; grateful for the oppo ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Last night the unthinkable happened . . . . .

I’m left with a book I read over a week ago that I won’t remember reading given another couple to review and really only one thing on my mind to say to anyone reading this: Dear America . . . .

And also to Hillary Clinton: YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT RIGGING ELECTIONS!

Alright, so The Apartment has been categorized as Horror, but for most fans of that genre you’re probably going to find it bigly n
Erin Clemence
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The Apartment” by S.L Grey is not for the faint of heart. It is definitely a horror novel, filled with paranormal activity, hauntings, suicide and things that go bump in the night. For these reasons, and many others, I LOVED it.
Steph and Mark haven’t been the same since the day their apartment was burglarized by three young men in masks. Although no one was hurt, Mark can’t keep replaying the incident and Steph can’t stop blaming Mark for not doing more to protect her and their daughter. To es
Crystal
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I’ll be

This book surprised me and surpassed my expectations throughout. While not a classic type horror or thriller, the out of the box plot and twists and turns as the story developed had me hooked!
Char
Most of my problems with this book originated with this statement in the book's synopsis:

"The Apartment is a terrifying and tour-de-force of horror, of psychological thrills, and of haunting suspense." I'm sorry to report that for me, it was NOT any of these things.

A South African couple survives a home invasion/robbery physically unscathed but emotionally beaten and drained. At the suggestion of a friend, they decided to do an apartment swap with another couple from Paris. They have basicall
Anne Goldschrift
Das ist dann wohl der erste Flop des Jahres 😒
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016, horror
Mark and Steph recently went through a trauma and now they just need to get away. With a low budget, there’s little the couple can afford making the possible vacation seem unlikely when a friend suggests house-swapping. It worked out great for their friend. There seems to be unlimited destinations. Paris sounds nice. Why not? It appears to be the opportunity of a lifetime. So when Steph posts looking for inquiries and hears back from a nice Parisian couple interested in the swap, it’s too sweet ...more
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: THE APARTMENT by S. L. Grey

This story is non-stop horror. I seem not to have breathed through the duration of the read, and I'm sure its themes will manage to infest my dreams. The author does a marvelous job of balancing on a knife edge not only the protagonists [two, a married couple, alternating well-written first-person narrative], but also the reader. We remain on tenterhooks as we constantly endeavor to determine whether the causes are supernatural in origin, or simply a run of bad
Sheila
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, ghosts
This is a tough one to rate. I didn't really enjoy reading this book, but it was really well done as far as creating an unsettling tone. I guess that's how I'd describe this book: it's unrelentingly unsettling.

This is the story of one family's dissolution, and because of that, it's not easy to read. Bad things just keep happening (and happening and happening). And lurking behind all this human misery is something that might possibly be supernatural.

I had a hard time connecting with the characte
Blair
Well, I had a blast with this – the most fun book of its type I've read since Tammy Cohen's When She Was Bad. I'd definitely categorise The Apartment mainly as a psychological thriller, but it also has elements of horror.

S.L. Grey is the pseudonym of Sarah Lotz and Louis Greenberg, and the authors make good use of their team-up by employing a 'he said/she said' narrative here, with alternating chapters told by a husband and wife. The husband is Mark, a beleaguered lecturer, and his (much younger
Eva • All Books Considered
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 1 STAR

I'm telling you right now - please don't read this. I had seen some other reviewer's opinions (that I trust) on this one before I read it that were less than stellar but I still wanted to give this its fair shot; I wish I hadn't. I almost DNF'd but I was intrigued enough to want to know the "twist" or mystery but now I can confidently tell you that this was not worth finishing. Maybe the story for this book seemed like it a good idea for
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/10/19/...

Being a huge fan of author Sarah Lotz, naturally I just had to check out The Apartment, since she’s one half of the writing duo of S.L. Grey. While I’ve never read anything by her collaborator Louis Greenberg, I do know he’s quite an accomplished dark fantasy and horror writer as well, and together the two of them have created something truly startling here.

The book is told through the eyes of a married couple from Cape To
Jackie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Read this in one tight-chested, on-edge sitting. At night. Not the smartest thing I've ever done but damn it was a great ride.
Kayla Dawn
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Hm. Den Schreibstil mochte ich sehr gerne, lies sich flüssig lesen.. aber die Story war eher so semi gut. Horror war sehr wenig vorhanden und generell ist irgendwie wenig passiert. Die Grundidee mag ich, aber an der Umsetzung hats ein wenig gehadert.
Lisa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/1...

Looking for a fantastically creepy book to start off October? The Apartment by S. L. Grey may be just what you need. It is a haunting tale told through alternating perspectives from husband and wife, Marc and Steph. Both have been traumatized and then things start to get …. creepy.

I’ve read Sarah Lotz’s The Three and Day Four and loved them both. This is the first time I’ve read one of the books she co-authors with Louis Green
Catherine
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was so bad I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Total waste of time. Zero cohesiveness and such a poorly thought-out mess. Unbelievably awful!
Sandra Uv
3,75/5

Me ha gustado mucho y me ha mantenido atrapada. Hay cosas que no me han convencido pero en general, ha sido un libro que he devorado y me ha dado justo lo que necesitaba.
Pronto, reseña
Cathie
More of a paranormal thriller than a tour-de-force horror. Strong beginning...then shortly I can't help but question the actions of the characters. There are times you wonder what the heck is going on? This is partly due to the two interchanging POV. But nevertheless, you can feel the atmosphere of someone else's decrepit apartment, of a place you call home that no longer feels like that safe haven. Not to mention the realizations that stem from emails and phone calls.

And I have to agree with ot
Krystal
Well damn, this was creepy.

I mean, it starts out a little dull and vague but it's the vagueness that draws you in and keeps you reading. Even though it's not particularly action-packed, there's this driving need to figure out exactly what's going on, and what we're missing.

The Paris apartment is totally creepy. I myself intend to visit for a holiday in just over two months and I have to say, this raised all kinds of worries about my trip that I'd never considered. Just that notion of being isol
Irene
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
This story was a little slow to get going, and at first I thought I was going to be disappointed in it. I don't know when I've been so wrong.
When the book begins. the home invasion has already occurred and Mark and Steph are living in the aftermath. They have somewhat grown apart in the marriage, partially due to the break in, and partially because Mark had already faced some traumatic events before the break in ever occurred. The story is told in alternating points of view, switching back and
KC
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
I want to thank Edelweiss, Blumhouse Books, and SL Grey for the advanced digital copy in exchange for an honest review. I had high hopes for this book. A nice breakaway from all the domestic thrillers and kidnapped kids, but unfortunately it fell short. The premise had great potential but I just didn't make a connection. I was excited to finally read some horror but it wasn't even a suspenseful paranormal story. Alas.
Daisy
I received an ARC of this book from Edelweiss for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It was creepy and a bit scary at times. It was a definite on the edge of your seat story. I wish the characters had been developed a little more. The ending left me feeling as though there should have been more.

Overall it was a good book.
Marcia
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een creepy verhaal over een koppel dat besluit een huizenruil aan te gaan als vakantie. Helaas niet zo goed en onverwacht als In de val van hetzelfde schrijversduo, maar zeker wel de moeite waard. Bij vlagen zo gruwelijk dat je er kippenvel van krijgt, maar toch voelt het net iets te onrealistisch, te paranormaal om écht bang te worden.
Mijn complete recensie lees je op Boekvinder.be
Lauren Stoolfire
Although this has been billed as horror, I definitely wouldn't say that it qualifies for that genre. It has very slow building suspense with a handful of eerie elements with a dash of mystery. I'm not sure why I finished the entire story as I couldn't get into the characters, and it never really delivered for me on the horror aspect as it was more of a yawn. However, I did enjoy Fiona Hardingham as one narrators - just before this I loved her performance on A Shadow Bright and Burning.
Rosa Dracos99
Libro de terror, del que esperaba más. Creo que se habría podido desarrollar mucho mejor, aparte de haber encontrado bastantes incoherencias; y muchos cabos sueltos que no se terminan de explicar. Si lo que se pretendía era dejarlo a la imaginación del lector.... creo que ha dejado demasiado!!!
Julia
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-f-l
"The Apartment is a terrifying tour de force of horror, of psychological thrills, and of chilling suspense."
It isn't.
Buzz
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
To put it frankly, this book is neither worth your time nor your money (I did pay fifteen dollars, plus tax). Feel free to read on, but I cannot recommend this novel to anyone. The blurb on the back promises “… a claustrophobic and chilling portrait of a disintegrating marriage teetering on the edge of darkness. The Apartment is a terrifying tour de force of supernatural horror, psychological tension, and hunting suspense,” and delivers on none of these fronts.
The novel follows the protagonist
Laura von Eden
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bp, bücher
S.L. Grey ist ein Pseudonym, hinter dem die Bestsellerautoren Sarah Lotz und Louis Greenberg stecken. ‚Das Apartment‘ hat vom Klappentext her viel versprochen und auch das Cover fand ich durch den minimalistischen Stil sehr ansprechend.

In diesem Buch geht es um Mark und Steph, denen wir in abwechselnden Kapiteln folgen können. Schnell wird klar, dass ihre Ehe nicht mehr ganz so rosig läuft. Die beiden haben ein Kind, doch Mark kümmert sich nicht genügend darum. Außerdem war die kleine Familie kü
Karen
Sep 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of rubbish. I didn't buy this book - my husband did - and asked me to read it after him. An absolute pile of poop.
  • The Lazarus Prophecy
  • Mirror Image
  • What the #@&% Is That?: The Saga Anthology of the Monstrous and the Macabre
  • Vector Borne
  • A Shadow on the Wall
  • Outbreak (The Black #3)
  • Death Instinct
  • Hell Train
  • Memoirs (Saint-Germain, #21)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Wakening the Crow
  • Slender Man
S.L. Grey is a collaboration between Sarah Lotz and Louis Greenberg. Sarah is a novelist and screenwriter and die-hard zombie fanatic. She writes crime novels and thrillers under her own name, and as Lily Herne she and her daughter Savannah Lotz write the Deadlands series of zombie novels for young adults. Louis is a Johannesburg-based fiction writer and editor. He was a bookseller for several yea ...more
“Could've, should've, would've. Didn't.” 2 likes
“Ha detto che l’ho uccisa. Che non mi perdonerà mai. Quest’ultima cosa devo essermela inventata per forza: sono io che non potrò mai perdonarmi. Quando lasci morire tua figlia, il perdono non è un’opzione disponibile.” 2 likes