Start by marking “Paradise for Sale: A Parable of Nature” as Want to Read:
Paradise for Sale: A Parable of Nature

Paradise for Sale: A Parable of Nature

The grim history of Nauru Island, a small speck in the Pacific Ocean halfway between Hawaii and Australia, represents a larger story of environmental degradation and economic dysfunction. For more than 2,000 years traditional Nauruans, isolated from the rest of the world, lived in social and ecological stability. But in 1900 the discovery of phosphate, an absolute requirem ...more
Published January 28th 2000 by University of California Press (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise for Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise for Sale

Start your review of Paradise for Sale: A Parable of Nature
Ed Lehman
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
When discussing the island and islanders, this book serves as a valuable insight. When it goes into screeds about climate change, soil erosion and environmental degradation in general (not talking about the portions related to Nauru), I had the impression that the author had found a place to publish his Masters thesis...and it isn't a good fit.
Encarnise
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everybody should read this book to be more concious about the negative consequencies of not taking care of our world. I've learnt a lot about places I didn't even know they exsisted. It's a worthy reading.
Jesus
Aug 05, 2008 added it
This is the saddest book I have ever read.

When I was a child, my family obtained an atlas. I looked through every page of that atlas. I studied it. The differences in design of each nation's flag intrigued me. Nauru's flag is a saffron line against a field of blue, the equator and the ocean. The island nation is represented by a star, beautiful instructive geographic abstraction.

The design delighted me, but what excited me most was the magic of this place actually existing. Could it be, a world
Rhonda
What happens when a small island country allows a foreign country to mine a resource there? In the case of Nauru, the self-sustaining tropical paradise loses much of its native culture, almost all of its natural beauty, and all of its ability to be self-sustaining. It's a grim story that plays out all over the globe.

"The story of Nauru is the story of all of us." (from page 7)

Definitely worth reading. A tiny island country with a really dramatic history and a bleak future.

Val
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Global capitalism takes very little account of the environmental impact of trade. That is not a new idea, but Nauru is a demonstrative example of the fact. The island has been devastated and the short term benefits squandered. This is a depressing read.
The country could have benefited from a better, more long-term plan for development. The story could have benefited from a better writer.
Alice
The sections of this book about Nauru are fascinating - a small island with an isolated population suddenly becomes part of the world economy. And, predictably, destruction follows. But, it was a little too textbook for generally reading. I already know about biodiversity loss, climate change, etc etc, so those parts were a little dry.
Meaghan
Well, having just finished this book, I feel incredibly depressed. Human beings are one of the worst things to happen to this planet. We have murdered our environment and it is in its death throes as we speak. Let's all just go and commit hara-kiri right now.

This is why I try not to read too much about the environment and global warming. It's just so incredibly sad.
Amelia
Sep 26, 2010
Alon
Apr 02, 2008
Newtoni
rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2015
Lindsay Mcneill
Jan 21, 2013
Christine
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to recommend this book to all those in our current government who feel Market should trump Nature.
Sean
Jan 02, 2015

• The Power of Place: Urban Landscapes as Public History
  • Urban Design
  • Architecture in Italy 1500-1600
  • Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done, and Having Fun
  • Walkable City Rules: 101 Steps to Making Better Places
  • Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives
  • Tracing Eisenman: Peter Eisenman Complete Work
  • Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design
  • Suburban Remix: Creating the Next Generation of Urban Places
  • Move: How to Rebuild and Reinvent America's Infrastructure
  • Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898
  • Greater Gotham: A History of New York City from 1898 to 1919
  • The Bulldozer in the Countryside: Suburban Sprawl and the Rise of American Environmentalism
  • Rebuild by Design: New Approaches to Climate Change
  • The Landscape Urbanism Reader
  • The Largest Art: A Measured Manifesto for a Plural Urbanism
  • Rebuilding the American City: Design and Strategy for the 21st Century Urban Core
  • Lost Boston