Start by marking “Pancakes, Pancakes!” as Want to Read:
Pancakes, Pancakes!

Pancakes, Pancakes!

Join Jack as he starts from scratch to help make his very own breakfast pancake!
Board Book, 32 pages
Published December 1st 2004 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Pancakes, Pancakes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pancakes, Pancakes!

Start your review of Pancakes, Pancakes!
Hilary
I liked the look of the cover, I thought the smiling pancake in the pan was going to try to escape before being eaten but this was a story about a boy living long ago who wanted a pancake. The story took you through the process of making a pancake starting with grinding wheat to make flour.
Peacegal
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I still worked at the Circulation Desk of my library checking out items for patrons, there was a grandmother who regularly visited with her preschool-aged grandson. This book, along with a CD of kiddie Christmas tunes, were the only two things the boy would check out. Out of the thousands of things in our library, this was all he wanted. Every time. (Poor grandma!)

Really, this book was a disappointment to me. The cover would make one think this is the adventure of a smiling pancake, which
Liam Leftley
'Pancakes, Pancakes!' is a book written by Eric Carle that allows children to think about not only how their favourite food items and meals come together to create the finished product that they enjoy on the dining table, but where these raw ingredients come from themselves.

The story, which features large and colourful illustrations, follows Jack as he goes about collecting the items needed to make pancakes before carrying out the recipe with his mother.

The story builds nicely from Jack's
Reva Taylor
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-11-20
Summary: This book is about a young little boy who makes many pancakes with his mom, and is talks about all of the materials that are needed in order to make pancakes. During this story, readers get the chance to see all of the ingredients that are used with pancakes along with go on the journey of finding them with the boy and his mother.
Evaluation: I gave this book a 4. I think the pictures are very bright and engaging, and gives an opportunity for readers to make many connections between
Steve Holden
We read and shared this during our final week because of a pancake breakfast we enjoyed in my class. Eric Carle is an author all are familiar with, but in my grade level, students begin moving away from his books. However, when eating pancakes, it's always fun to also read about pancakes.

In terms of books about pancakes, this is my #2 all-time favorite book, and hey, that has to stand for something!
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Here is a story about a boy who wants pancakes for breakfast. It goes into detail how much is involved in getting pankcakes on the breakfast table, starting with the cutting of the wheat and the grounding it up to flour. Plus all the steps to get all the ingredients for pancakes and then to make them.
Linda Klager
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cute book and very educational, too.
Becky
First sentence: Kee-ke-ri-kee crowed the rooster. Jack woke up, looked out the window and thought, "I'd like to have a big pancake for breakfast."

Premise/plot: Jack wants a pancake--a BIG pancake. His mom tells him he'll have to help her if he wants a pancake. This help will include cutting wheat, taking it to the miller in town, having it ground into flour, gathering an egg from a hen, milking a cow, churning butter, and getting a jar of jam from the cellar. Some of these tasks take time--a
Kayla Gephart
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because it is ideal for teaching procedure to students. This helps them improve in their writing by encouraging the use of transition words and step-by-step formats. Transitions seem to be a common problem among many students even in their high school and college years. Developing these skills early make for better writers in the future.
This book is also ideal for discussion among younger grade levels. I like how it illustrates the value of hard work through a story.
Amy
This is my first author study review and is also a picture book.

Pancakes, Pancakes! holds true to Eric Carle's unique style. The story is somewhat of a spin on The Little Red Hen, as the morale of both stories is that those that work hard are rewarded in the end.

Children from ages 2-10 would enjoy this book. Carle's beautiful collage illustrations enhance the story even more. Children would love using his art as models for their own collage art. Teachers can lead a lesson to compare and
Leah Irby
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to make reading this book an encounter with cooking! We read, then we make pancakes. Any excuse to eat delicious things, while watching as Judah gets to experience the joy of creating something is 5 stars in my book, and 5 stars for this book. Three cheers for Pancakes, Pancakes!
Leslie
Love Eric Carle and love this book! What a fantastic story for children to understand where our food comes from.
Brett
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Kids books gonna be on this feed in the next few years since I'm Daddin' hard so be warned.

This is the first Eric Carle book I've read the baby since she's been born and was pleasantly surprised at how different it was from my assumption. It's basically about what goes into making the pancake with lessons involved about process, infrastructure, and how seemingly simple things get made. Wasn't crazy about the character design for our little boy jack, but lots of the other imagery is
Kristin Thomas
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-11-20
Summary: "Pancakes, Pancakes!" is about a little boy that wakes up one morning craving pancakes. Instead of the mother cooking the pancakes herself, she ask her son, Jack, to help her. However, Jack has to go through different measures in order to get the certain ingredients he needs to make pancakes.
Certain measures: Jack has to get - flour from the mill, an egg from the black hen, milk from the spotted cow, butter churned from fresh cream, and firewood for the stove

Evaluation: I rate this
Erika Rodriguez
This story is about a young boy named Jack that wants to make pancakes for breakfast. In order to make these pancakes, he must first find out what ingredients he needs to make them, and then gather them all together. Jack has to go step by step to get all the ingredients, such as cutting wheat and taking it to the miller in order to get flour, and collecting an egg form a chicken. Once he has all the supplies that he needs collected, he works with his mother to make the pancakes. The text and ...more
Jordyn Matthews
Pancakes, Pancakes, written by Eric Carle, is a book about a young boy named Jack who wakes up one morning and decides that he wants to have pancakes for breakfast. He tells his mother to make them for him but she insists that she will only make them if he takes it upon himself to find all the ingredients. He keeps coming back inside with what he thinks is all the ingredients from his farm, but she keeps sending him back out for one more thing. Although he feels like it will take him forever to ...more
Audrey
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young boy, Jack, wakes up and decides that he really wants a pancake. He tells his mother, who gives him a number of ingredients to fetch. He works hard throughout the day harvesting the grain to make flour, milking the cow, churning the butter, and more. Finally, the mother and son make the pancake together, and (SPOILER ALERT) he gets to eat it.
Part of the reason why i loved this book so much is that I love baking--especially breakfast foods! I could make pancakes all day and be the happiest
Sandra Lemus
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-11-20
Summary: This book was about a boy who makes pancakes with his mom and the materials they need to make pancakes. Readers will see how the boy and his mom gather the ingredients.

Evaluation: I think this book is great for young readers. Many can make personal connections. For example, readers will connect to what they eat for breakfast or what breakfast food their parents or guardians make for them.

Teaching Idea: I would read this book to a kindergarten or first grade class. An activity can be to
Jessica Atwater
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A boy wants a pancake, and his mother helps him make it from scratch, beginning with harvesting the wheat and including step like milking a cow, churning butter, and bringing in wood for the fire. The short format makes an oversimplification of these processes absolutely necessary, but what a great introduction to the concept of where food comes from for young children! The text to illustration balance is just right for the subject, and the narrative manages to be engaging rather than simply ...more
CarolineDearman RDNG4130
This book is about a boy who wakes up and wants to eat a big pancake. He goes to his mother and his mother tells him each ingredient he needs. He goes and acquires all the ingredients and they can finally make the pancake together.

I think this is a cute story, and very simple and easy to read. I love the illustrations in Eric Carle's books.

This book would be fun to use in a classroom to teach kids about where some things come from. Kids probably don't realize that all the food you need to make
Amber Sullivan
This book is a work of fiction and would be great for children between the ages of three and six. This story is about a young boy who has to gather the ingredients to create pancakes. I gave this book five stars because of its amazing illustrations, the colors used are very bright and vibrant and they have a collage like quality to them. I think young readers would enjoy reading this book because it shows step by step how pancakes are made from scratch and this book would be great for teaching ...more
Emma Hendrix
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dr-smith
Jack wakes up one morning, craving pancakes. He asks his mother for one large pancake, for breakfast. She needs some help so Jack sets out to get all the ingredients needed. He first chops up the wheat and makes it into a grain. Then he gets an egg from the chicken and some milk from the cow. His mother sirs it all together and cooks it over a fire, Jack had built. They both enjoy a fantastic breakfast.
Devon Ashby
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read an Eric Carle book in a long time, and this one was very different from most of the ones I remember, which were almost all about animals. This book is about the process of making and acquiring ingredients for pancakes.

Eric Carle was one of my favorite illustrators as a child and it was comforting to see his illustrations again. The book also made me really want to go home and bake something.
Jeremy Ruth
I loved the illustrations. This is a story of how a kid named Jack wants pancakes, so he goes out to gather ingredients to make one. He gets help from different people, and puts in a lot of effort to make pancakes with his mom.

This book would be great for kids to read. It shows involvement, community building, and positive work ethic. Plus, I think they'd love the pictures.
Jasmine Stocker
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The barnyard rooster crows and Jack woke up wanting a big pancake for breakfast. But first, Jack's mom needs flour from the mill, an egg from the black hen, milk from the spotted cow, butter churned from fresh cream, and firewood for the stove. Along with Eric Carle's amazing illustrations, this book helps teach describing words to young readers.
Sierra Dirksen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is the story of a boy named Jack who wants pancakes, but to get them has to help his mother. Jack collected everything needed by making flour, gathering eggs, and making butter. he then mixed them together and cooked them. Finally he got to eat them. This story is cute and creates an example of a child helping the mother, which can encourage young readers to also help their parents.
Kylie Moffat
I read this as one of the picture books. I did not expect it to be as informational as it was. The little boy had to do a lot of hard work to get the ingredients for his pancakes. I thought that it is good for the children to know how much goes into food that they take for granted. But it is older than 3rd grade because there are big words.
Pia Castillo
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this book in a preschool class as the children asked where we actually get the ingredients during a pancake activity. One child answered, "In the market!". They were really amazed on how this book answered their curiosities. Fun story and nice graphics. I just think the book is just too long for their age group (3-5y/o)
Cori Dantio
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to teach children to work for something they want. As a teacher, I would love to use a book like this for my younger students to get reading practice as well as learn a lesson while reading. I'm probably also going to keep this in my personal library for my own kids someday. It's a great way to teach an important life lesson.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac

• Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Thunder Cake
  • Sammy the Seal
  • There's a Fly Guy in My Soup (Fly Guy, #12)
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • Leaves
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more