Start by marking “The Kingdom of the Air” as Want to Read:

The Kingdom of the Air

1940. The Battle of Britain has begun. A young Messerschmitt pilot is shot down over Dartmoor. He tries to evade a manhunt, knowing that if he is captured by the British, his war will be over. But when Josef Schafer falls into the hands of a sinister agent of the Special Operations Executive, his troubles have only begun. He is returned to occupied France having made an im ...more
Published April 1st 2016 by Rhiza Press

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kingdom of the Air

Start your review of The Kingdom of the Air
Jeanette
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
C T Well's debut novel Kingdom of the Air is a gripping, fast-paced espionage thriller set in WW2. What makes this novel different is that it told mostly from the pov of Josef Schafer, a South-African born fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe, though it also includes the povs of the members of a French resistance cell and the Gestapo agent that hunts them.

Josef's Messerschmitt’s is shot down over southern England during a bombing raid. He attempts so allude the British and escape back to Germany but fal
Cold War Conversations Podcast
Fast paced WW2 thriller.

Josef Schafer is a South African born Luftwaffe pilot. When he is shot down over England he is forced to strike a deal to save his sister held in a South African camp.

CT Wells delivers a thrilling ride and has obviously researched the military detail well. However, it’s not all about the hardware it’s also a compelling story with strong characters and moral choices.

An enjoyable read and one I’d recommend. The book ends nicely setup for a sequel whi
Dave Edlund
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I selected this novel because it won the 2015 Adventure Writer's Competition. The plot is more WWII spy adventure than it is action or thriller, not my normal cup of tea. However, if that is your thing, then you'll want to read Mr. Wells' book. It is very well written with strong and well developed characters. There are some surprising twists to the plot as well, enough to keep the reader guessing.
Kelly
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Josef Schafer is a Luftwaffe pilot, but when his plane goes down over English territory, he is forced to strike a deal that puts everything he knows, including his very life in danger. He is a man torn between warring loyalties – to his sister, who he left behind in South Africa years ago, to his brothers in the Reich, and to a French freedom fighter who makes him question what he believes.

Sounds like the makings of a dramatic book, right? And it is.

Zillah
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review of Kingdom of the Air

As soon as The Battle of Britain is mentioned, I’m hooked. And this book is set in 1940 at that time in English history.

So what is there to like about C.T. Wells’ first novel The Kingdom of the Air? The short answer is, “a lot”. For lovers of thrillers, historical novels, and a spice of romance this book is a “must”. There is action, tension, danger and excitement aplenty.

The story is unusual in that the hero, Josef Shafer, is
John Purvis
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
“The Kingdom of the Air” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by C. T. Wells. This is Mr. Wells’ first publication.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. Some of the story is set in England, but most of it is in France during 1940. The primary characters are Josef Schafer, a German fighter pilot and Giselle Alegre, a former university student and now a member of the French resistance.

Schafer is shot do
Pete Loveday
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book with more than the usual War stories of spies and resistance action. Josef is a troubled man having thrown his lot in with the German Luftwaffe having left his South African home. His heart is turned by the charming Giselle and the result was always going to be tragedy.
Excellent story development with finely drawn characters. I rate this a 5 star book and look forward to more from this author.
Carol Preston
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Claire Belberg
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A gripping story of a pilot during World War Two - a South African in the German Luftwaffe, who struggles with his personal demons and the hard questions of what is right in the midst of so much that is wrong.
Catriona
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Kingdom of the Air is definitely one of those "can't put it down" kind of books. Set during WW2 over the skies of occupied France, it is full of excitement, twists and plot turns. The anticipation builds throughout the story, and by the half way mark the action picks up pace to become seriously intense until the end. Although I wouldn't necessarily read this genre, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel.

Disclaimer: I know the author personally. However, I purchased the book at full price and have l
Christopher McAleer
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first impression of the book came via the cover, of a Messerscmitt Bf109 over Mont St-Michel in Normandy, an intriguing combination of images against an incendiary sky. The opening chapter establishes the descriptive narrative with regular and unexpected plot changes that quickly has the reader embracing the main characters' hopes and struggles.
It is particularly refreshing that the protagonists are clothed with a range of varied backstories that help to avoid the superficial stereotypes oft
Josiah Wells
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely fantastic. I have read it multiple times and I'm reading it again. I loved the suspense and the really realistic scene that it set. So exciting and it gave a really good idea of what it would be like to fly a Messerschmidt. I can't wait for the sequel.
Susan Barnes
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I enjoyed The Kingdom of the Air by C. T. Wells, even though it's not what I would normally choose to read. The story was engaging from the start. Josef Schafer is a South African born, German pilot who is shot down over England during World War 2. He is returned safely to Germany by an English Special Operations agent but is blackmailed into relaying information to some French resistance operatives. As we follow Josef's interactions with Giselle, her brother and their friend, we see him struggl ...more
Jackie
Jul 09, 2016 added it
Iola
Jul 03, 2016 added it
I haven't read the final book, but did read an early draft and was impressed. It was a worthy winner of the CALEB prize for unpublished manuscripts.
BookWolf
Nov 17, 2018
Peero
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a thoughtfully constructed and tense epic that retells a spy character named Josef Schafer set in 1940s war-ravaged countries. You are instantly drawn to the characters that Wells fills his novel with including a man motivated by family love, loyalty to his fellow Luftwaffe warriors, and the desire to survive. The great thing about this book is that if you know a lot about warfare, you won’t get frustrated with the book because the author has done his research, however you also don’t nee ...more
Janita
N
May 07, 2017
Bryan Neighbors
Jul 05, 2017

• Thriving as an Artist in the Church: Hope and Help for You and Your Ministry Team
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking