Start by marking “Shame the Stars” as Want to Read:

(Shame the Stars Series)

In the midst of racial conflict and at the edges of a war at the Texas-Mexico border in 1915, Joaquin and Dulceña attempt to maintain a secret romance in this reimagining of Romeo and Juliet.
Published September 15th 2016 by Tu Books

To ask other readers questions about Shame the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shame the Stars

David
A TOP SHELF review, originally published in the August 19, 2016 edition of The Monitor

Growing up in the Rio Grande Valley, we get two versions of local history. In school, teachers hand down a sanitized, state-approved vision of American exceptionalism and the moral superiority of the men who turned Texas into first a Republic and then a southern state.

At home, however, we hear something quite different, stories passed down from bisabuelos to tías and primos. It’s a harrowing, heart-breaking nar
Margie's Must Reads
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book about an important, yet trivialized time in our Texas History as Tejanos. Beautifully crafted and elegantly told, this book is a MUST READ and a MUST HAVE book in EVERY school library.
Mary
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A powerful family saga set in the borderlands of Texas and Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. The Romeo and Juliet main characters, Joaquin del Toro and Dulcena Villa, are having to deal with the tension between their families and the violence of the time period including the persecution by the Texas Rangers directed at Tejanos. McCall has done a fine job telling a complex story. At times, this is a violent story, but the storytelling is authentic and relevant.
Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense)
Review coming soon.
Yamile Méndez
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vcfa-4-3
Look at that cover! Isn't it gorgeous? Lovely, luscious writing, fascinating time period of which I;d never read anything about before. I might be biased, but Joaquin is my new favorite hero (with that name! *swoon*. *My son's name is Joaquin, LOL*). I love the women in this book so much too: Dulceña, La Estrella (my daughter is Estrella!), and even the priest, Joaquin's brother. Everyone should read this book. The saying that if we don't know history we're doomed to repeat it is so true!
Rachel
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recounts an important part of Texas/US history that many may not know about. The main character is very well drawn and is a sensitive poet who see the world in a really unique way. There is some violence, but it is logical. The setting is atmospheric and really draws you in.
Mario Jimenez
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even though the characters are fictional, this story does a great job at recounting very important details of Texas history. This is done very creatively and interesting. The main characters are very relatable and liked. Can be seen as a modern Romeo and Juliet. A must read book.
Rich in Color
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Review copy: purchased

Under the Mesquite and Summer of the Mariposas, McCall’s previous books, are fantastic works of storytelling. Her writing is lyrical whether she’s creating prose or poetry. Having read and loved her first two books, I was predisposed to enjoy this newest novel. In addition, as a former resident of Texas, the story immediately caught my attention. Though I lived there for sixteen years, my knowledge of Texas history was sketchy at best so this seemed like an excellent way to
Deisy Esparza
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book Shame the Stars, by Guadalupe Garcia McCall is a literary statement. The author explains in her acknowledgment that this novel was written with the intent of informing schools about the injustices done to the Mexican community by the government. The education System does not inform students of the horrific experiences many Mexican and Mexican-American families suffered. Students are not taught about the discrimination that families livening in the borders between Mexico and the United S ...more
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
“Shame the Stars” is set in 1915, and tells the story of Tejano families struggling to understand and survive brutalities inflicted upon them by the Texas Rangers (a group of “lawmen” who randomly killed and raped Mexican Americans, imprisoning them without trail, and stealing their land.) Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
Juan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
McCall writes a novel that unearths the violent history of the borderlands and the terror that the Texas Rangers(rinches) inflicted upon the Mexican American inhabitants. This novel is presented as a love story but this element is more of a backdrop to the violence and tension between Mexican American and Texas Rangers. It is a well written novel that seeks to convey something important.
Gustavo Guajardo
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tells a great love story that not only portrays social controversy of the community in South Texas, but also the racial oppression that took place in its time. It is a great book for those who are interested in Texas history as well as a good romance novel. This book is an eye opener because it exposes the violence omitted from history books in our schools.
Ashley Alvarez
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed this book! It does an excellent job at telling how it was during the Mexican Revolution. The love the protagonist has for Dulcena is so heartwarming! This book is definitely a must-read!
Lupe Ruiz-Flores
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Excellent research. Enjoyed.
Michelle Lancaster
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
YA HISTORICAL FICTION
Guadalupe García McCall
Tu Books
Hardcover, 978-1-6201-4278-3, (also available as an e-book), 320 pgs., $19.95
September 15, 2016

Joaquín and Dulceña are teenagers in love. Joaquín is the privileged, sensitive, traditional son of a distinguished ranching family in South Texas, Tejanos who have owned Las Moras since 1775. Dulceña, daughter of the local printer, is a spirited, smart, modern, independent young woman who wants to be a journalist and travel the world.
Barbara
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this book. I loved the author's previous two titles, but there was just something about the cover that didn't appeal to me so I kept putting it aside. Now that I've read it, I wish I had not procrastinated, denying myself the earlier pleasure of sinking into this author's prose and learning part of the history of this nation that has not been covered very much, certainly not in the history texts used in its classrooms. Weaving racial a ...more
Steph
G. Garcia McCall weaves together newspaper sources, historical journalism from women like A.V. Negra (black bird), and skillful fiction to create a rich story of the U.S.-Mexico borderlands. All of the plot events happen on the Texas American side, with the exception of the horse and cattle theft incidents. But the conflicts that Tejanos in Shame the Stars had to endure came from endless points of crisis: The Mexican revolution, Mexican bandits, murderous, vigilante Texas Rangers, corrupt judges ...more
Kelly Snyder
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book covered an area of American history that has been all but forgotten. Billed as a Texas Romeo and Juliet, I found a few areas where that can be implied, but not really. The forbidden love between Joaquin and Dulcena is about the only thing that resembles the historic love story of Romeo and Juliet. The book is about the Mexican Revolution in the early part of the Twentieth Century and how it affected to the native Texans or Tejanos of South Texas. While the story is fiction the author h ...more
Greta Yeager
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is an interesting and important topic which I think more people should know about. I would not, however, recommend this book to anyone. The prose is mediocre at best, and the worst bits literally stopped me from reading as I sat and contemplated how a published author wrote them without thinking twice. The narrative flow is confusing and inconsistent, especially towards the end, the love story felt particularly forced, and some of the poems scattered throughout the chapters had me cringing. ...more
Jamie Gregory
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't know anything about this historical time period featured in this novel, set in 1915 in Texas. It captures the deadly conflicts among the Mexican revolutionaries, Mexican Americans, and Texas Rangers. However, the characters are sort of two-dimensional. I think this book would work well for middle school students although it would help to give them some background information beforehand. To simply read it as a Romeo and Juliet story, as it is marketed, is to miss the point of the book, i ...more
Laura Jean
Until recently, I had not realized the depredations done against American Tejanos during the early part of the twentieth century. This book explores that. It was quiet complex: revolutionaries and bandits. Each were dangerous and there were even different types of revolutionaries. In addition, it was a time when women still did not have the right to vote. This book explores the roles of women in both Mrs. del Toro and Dulcena. Finally, there were socio-economic differences. There were patrons, l ...more
Amy Vaterlaus
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and love seeing this part of Mexican-American history bring brought into this story. I like the inclusions of newspaper clippings into the story. I really didn't care for the relationships between Joaquín and Dulcena but can see why a love story would be included to add some hope in a dark time ( this could just be how I see it). overall, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Mexican-American history.
Florence Primrose
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
in 1915 in south Texas the Texas Rangers were the law. Immigrants were arriving taking land from Mexican-Americans who had owned and farmed for generations. Texas Rangers were killing and harming many of the original owners. The Mexican Revolution is on.

Joaquin and Dulcinea were a young couple in love as their parents took different sides in the conflict
This is an excellent historical fiction novel about this time period.
Angel Rdz
This novel brings a different perspective of the life in the South Texas border back in the day. It is thrilling to find out how legal figures took advantage of their rank and manage to do what they wanted and get away with it. The mash of detail and language used by McCall makes the reading more related to the reader and even more if the reader is from the borderlands as well.
Anarely Garcia
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very fascinating! I love how the author told a part of the history of The Rio Grande Valey with her own touch of fiction. The romance in the novel was very much like Shakespeare, which keeps the reader very intrigued.
Alana "Loni"
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am not usually a romance person, but the historical fiction and action really did it for me with this book. I enjoyed reading about a part of history I knew little about. And always appreciate a story that talks about the importance of words, spoken and written :)
Ann Valdez
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. It should be in all high schools and it is time that the truth be taught and discussed. We have had enough of the mythology of the Texas Rangers. Let us learn of the other side of the story. Thank you, thank you for this best book.
Audrey
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet and satisfying historical fiction that stretched some of the political/ social themes so far away from Romeo and Juliet, it doesn't seem accurate to call it a re-make. Nonetheless, the history and characters are unforgettable.
Barbara
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Romance, historical fiction, adventure, change, growth.
Dutchbaby
Unusual setting for a teen historical novel and the plot moved right along, but the writing and romance seemed to verge on the melodramatic which was distracting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chico & Rita
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 5
  • The Girl King
  • Disturbing Behaviour
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Esther
  • The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl From Everywhere, #2)
  • Amal Unbound
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
  • Dress Codes for Small Towns
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Monster on the Road Is Me
  • Liberty's Fire
  • Memento Mori
  • The Searcher
  • Nova, Volume 1: Origin
I was born in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico. My family immigrated into the U.S. when I was six years old. I grew up in Eagle Pass, a small, border town in South Texas. Eagle Pass is the setting of both, my debut novel in verse, UNDER THE MESQUITE, and my 2nd novel, SUMMER OF THE MARIPOSAS, fall of 2012 from TU Books. After high school, I went off to Alpine in West Texas to study to become a tea ...more

Shame the Stars Series (2 books)
  • All the Stars Denied