Start by marking “Dark of Night: A Joe Ledger Novella” as Want to Read:
Dark of Night: A Joe Ledger Novella

Dark of Night: A Joe Ledger Novella

(Dead of Night #2.5)

The dead rose. We fell.The survivors are trapped in a world of monsters who prey on the helpless. Some of them are zombies ... but they are not the only predators who feed on pain and suffering.Dark of Night is a story of worlds in collision. Three heroes who have survived the apocalypse are in a deadly race to save a busload of children from ravenous zombies and ruthless ...more
Audio CD
Published June 21st 2016 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published April 22nd 2016)

Jenny Robinson
I love how well the various stories from Maberry's books merge in this on. There was a great mix and comparable likeness between The Ranger (Captain Joe Ledger) and The Cop (Dez Fox). I can't complain with a story about a couple of badasses. This was a great "in between" story if you love the Ledger novels and the Dark/Dead of Night series. Thumbs up!
Tim Mercer
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark of Night- 4 stars
Flesh and Fire 5 stars- it was awesome
Craig
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest volume of Journalstone's Doubledown series in which two short novels are presented back-to-back in the style of the old Ace Doubles. Flesh and Fire is a story of death and loss and second chances, well-written but not particularly memorable in that there wasn't anything there that didn't seem pretty familiar. Dark of Night is a new short novel following the adventures of the excellent Des Fox and her attempt to escape and survive the zombie apocalypse. She's the classic hero i ...more
WendyB
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So great to read more about these characters. I wish this had been much longer but it will help tide me over until the next installment of the series.
Elizabeth
Desdemona Fox was part of a caravan of buses transporting children out of her hometown. Unfortunately, they were separated from the rest and stranded by an EMP. She has to find a sace place for the kids before they are eaten by zombies or killed by scavengers. Joe Ledger is travelling with his dog, helping those who need help and killing those who hurt others. Rachael Elle used to be a cosplayer and now is a warrior against the undead. She is part of a community and seeks to find people who need ...more
Theresa
Standard zombie fare with characters I’ve grown accustomed too. Easy, fast read.
Colleen
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, horror
Massively disappointed, but I've been getting retrospectively more down on the Night series and timeline. I am a very enthusiastic Maberry fan--think he is one of the best authors out there currently in regards to horror, that he is second to none when it comes to writing action, and he winds up exploring a lot of new ground when it comes to something that has been well trodden. I also though would like to see his work elevated a bit--I know a lot of horror comes from something of a gonzo backgr ...more
Brendan
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for Lucas Mangum’s Flesh and Fire. I haven’t gotten around to reading Dark of Night yet, but I’ll hopefully get to it soon.

In this supernatural romance story, Todd loses his ex-girlfriend, Chloe, to a heroine overdose. Decades later, when he’s settled into a less-than-satisfying domestic situation with a wife and a couple kids, Chloe returns with a demonic entity in pursuit. Now Todd must find a safe haven for his former lover so that she can fully escape the tortures of hell and
Darren Dilnott
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's not enough stars in the night sky to even come close to rating a Jonathan Maberry \ Ray Porter \ Joe Ledger fusion. I've got to say it. There is no better writer of apocalyptic action that Jonathan Maberry. In fact he's not only first, he's second, third....and on.
Its simply magical the way the Rot and Ruin world and the Joe Ledger world is circling in, and merging. These two series of books are without comparison, so to have characters popping up within the series makes for extra excite
Glenn Rolfe
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flesh and Fire is a wonderful debut novella from, Lucas Mangum. A different take on that Long Lost Love-type of story, but aren't they all a bit left of center when you had Hell into it?

You get the story of Todd, a former musician who left the love of his life and former band-mate, Chloe, due to her addiction. Instead of the love and life he felt in his bones, Todd takes a more "mature" path landing a 9-5 that he doesn't care for and settling down with the other girl in his life, Anne.

Events fa
M. Dixon
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually two novellas. "Dark of Night" by Jonathan Maberry and Rachel Lavin, and "Flesh and Fire" by Lucas Magnum.
I actually picked this up to read Lucas Magnum's story. The other story was a zombie story, and I have had my fill of this sub-genre. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised by "Dark of Night" and found myself hooked right from the beginning. It's a real page-turner. Does it add anything new? Not really, but the writing is compelling and the action and suspense keeps you engaged. I w
Wendy Bocock
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only read "Dark of Night" so far, not "Flesh and Fire". Absolutely loved "Dark of Night", of course - it re-visits some of my absolute favorite characters from Jonathan Maberry's various books. We get to check in again with Dez Fox, Rachael Elle (superhero) and Joe Ledger, and get a little more information regarding them. Only problem with the book is that I wanted more (usual problem with all books in the Maberry universe)!
Bibliofiendlm
Full review here: http://tinyurl.com/z92tl5v
__________

This novella is an in your face adventure full of heart pounding action, compelling characterization and some pretty terrifying zombie action plus the struggle for survival in a chaotic world where the survivors much face not only undead monsters but also those who while still human have embraced the evil, dark side of human nature.
John R. Dailey Jr.
A TWO TAILED TALE IT IS..

Hello, the first tale was kick ass, of course. It was good to know Ledger is still kicking butt and taking names. The second story was kinda out there. More sad than scary. It was kind of a "if I knew then, what I know now, i would have done things differently" story. Thanks.
Andreas Strom
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Of Night was excellent - like I knew it would be. A blend of Maberry's Rot & Ruin series, the Dead Of Night series and featuring none other than Joe Ledger. Who could ask for more? Well, maybe it would be even better if it was set in Pine Deep too... :)

Flesh And Fire was good too. A bit weird, but good. It reminded me of early Clive Barker a bit.
Steve Lowe
off to a great start. read 38 pages in the first sitting. made me hate to have to quit to sleep.
Dana
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was technically 2 books. Obviously I loved the Maberry one. The other one was pretty good too
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
5 stars for the Joe Ledger story alone. My only complaint... the typos. Why so many typos?
Tobin Elliott
And my goal book—that is, the one that has me hit my goal of 150 books read for the year, almost three months early—is a good one, thankfully.

I was conflicted about reading this one because a) I haven't read any of the other book series collected into this novella aside from the Joe Ledger ones, which I adore and b) the reason for that is because I so not a fan of zombies.

Now, before you say, "hold on there, white boy, you've read every single Walking Dead trade that's been published. I'm sick a
Vanessa
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rented this audiobook from my library with little expectations. I really figured it would just be another zombie story, of which I’ve read a few. I was pleased when I found myself reaching for the headphones throughout the day to see what happens next. The story jumps scenes to different characters throughout. Their storylines becoming interweaved. I love it when I actually root for a character. My only criticism is I found Lindsay’s character to be unrealistic or fake; she was sometimes extre ...more
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every book that I have read by this author so far. I have read his 3 adult zombie books and the companion young adult zombie books. I love the Joe Ledger character and his dogs that appears in both zombie series. Now I want to read the series with the younger Joe Ledger as the main character.
I loved this book and wish he would write more on Dez and Joe in this post apocalyptic zombie infested world. Write more of the years between the first night and the young adult series Dust and
Kelliann Gomez
This is a good, quick read with zombies, but I didn't think it was anything too special. There were lots of typical zombie book things (i.e. main characters who were cops/military), but there was also a dog which was pretty cool. The transitions between points of view was done well, and the characters were unique enough that they didn't all blend together.

If you like heroes and zombies, this would probably be a good read.
AziaMinor
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only read Dark of Night to finish the Jonathan Maberry Series. I really love the way he was able to connect his 3 main series together in an interesting - although very morbid way. You get rough Joe Ledger, hard as nails Dez, and the lovable Rachel, all trying to survive the end of the world. The premise seems totally hopeless in this unforgivable world, but there is always that scrap of hope that keeps you going. Totally love it.
Megan
Solid, stand-alone zombie, end of the world fiction - an amalgamation of Maberry's characters from his other series, but you don't need to read those in order to enjoy this book. We get a little backstory on each character and a breakdown of where this book would fit inside of Maberry's literary universe.

Entertaining, dark, cleverly written, conversational, and witty.
Diane Adams
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am generally not into horror, certainly not into post apocalyptic tales of zombies, but when I read Rot & Ruin, I was hooked. Although I missed Benny Imura, I did enjoy this visit back to that time, and to get the back story on some of the infamous zombie hunters on the trading cards. I will probably keep my eye out for another Joe Ledger book...
Susan Kelley
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio
The end of the world is upon us. The dead have risen and they are hungry foi the rest of us! I love zombie lore, and this book did not disappoint. It's actually the crossroads of a few different Maberry series, but it is not necessary to read any of the others to dive right into this book. It's a fun action-filled romp that leaves the reader to wonder who is the most dangerous: us or them?
Philippe Jolicoeur
Yesssss!!!! I could listen to Ray Porter narrate Joe Ledger any day of the week. I loved the way it merged 3 different series of books. It was a good book. And boy oh boy.... thanks you for old man ledger!!!
Lucas Mangum
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's something about your first book, isn't there? Flesh and Fire is near and dear to my heart for that reason (among others). Plus, it was super-cool to do a flip-book with living legend Jonathan Maberry!
Francisco Johnson
Loved it. Loved how he pulled the worlds together. And Joe Ledger is my favorite character in all the series I've read of his. Great Job Mr. Maberry. Great Job!
Edward Taylor
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story of the amalgamated worlds of JM and with the addition of Rachael Lavin's new character to the universe it seems that the apocalypse is well in hand.
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy
  • Rise: A Newsflesh Collection
  • Liar Liar
  • Safari (Mountain Man #2)
  • The Doctor
  • Ghosts: The Complete Series
  • Birds of Prey
  • The Cost of Living
  • Survivors (Aftertime, #1.5)
  • Living with the Dead (Famished #3)
  • Terminus (Outpost, #2)
  • Dark Screams: Volume One
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • City of the Lost
  • C.R.O.W. (The Union Series, #1)
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

Dead of Night (4 books)
  • Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)
  • Fall of Night (Dead of Night, #2)
  • Still of Night
“Something primal was awake within her, a violent will to live as old as the universe itself.” 2 likes
“And they don’t know what kind of raw, unfiltered hell they’d be stepping into if they try to break in here.” Lindsey” 0 likes