Start by marking “Star Wars: Rogue One - The Ultimate Visual Guide” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Rogue One - The Ultimate Visual Guide

Star Wars: Rogue One - The Ultimate Visual Guide

(Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary #6)

The essential, comprehensive guide to Rogue One: A Star Wars Story(TM).

This exciting reference format accompanies the eagerly anticipated, first-ever standalone Star Wars(TM) movie: Rogue One. This beautifully detailed title features in-depth character profiles, plus 5 newly commissioned and fully annotated cross-sections of vehicles and mapped-out locations. With clear an
Published December 16th 2016 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Start your review of Star Wars: Rogue One - The Ultimate Visual Guide
Paul
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really nice coffee table book that goes into detail about the visual design aspect of the Rogue One movie. I wouldn't call it a 'must have' book but Star Wars fans should get a real kick out of it. ...more
Andrew
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this should be a pretty straight forward review - I am a sucker for Star Wars and I love the quality of DK publications - and in general I was not disappointed, but something is not quite right.

I am not sure if I am getting a little jaded at the idea of constant large format colourful Star Wars books being churned out or that even established titles in the Star Wars collection seem to be getting regular refreshes as titles are being updated and revised (as more material is being added to th
Jessamyn Leigh
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a lot of new info in this for me, I skimmed most of it because it’s due back (dewback?) at the library.
Amy Sturgis
Anyone who left the film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story wanting to know more about the main characters, the background characters, the settings and places, and/or the ships and technology will find a lot to consider and enjoy here. There is a great deal of content, from a detailed look at young Jyn's homemade toys to an analysis of the set pieces in Saw Guerrera's Jedha hideout.

I read this primarily for the information on the characters and the big ideas behind the universe, after reading the nov
Mauri
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Seeing the new Star Wars movies as someone who spent 7 years as the kind of fan who could rattle off all of the components necessary to build an astromech droid is frankly, weird. Rogue One, with its chronological proximity to the films of my youth, was a treat. My dad and I left the theater trying to name everything we recognized from the original trilogy.

So this book was a fun combination of new details to add to my database, but also a source of a lot of cognitive dissonance. The council's ja
Helix
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doesn't really count as reading, and I haven't really read mine anyways, but whoa, it really doesn't disappoint. Came for more info about R1 and pretty pictures (*coughs* Krennic *coughs*), stayed exactly for that, and so much more. 10/10 would recommend, especially to people who really loved R1.

Those TIE Strikers looked gorgeous as hell! And who knew Krennic's captain privately referred to his ship as the Pteranodon? The Star Destroyers are gorgeous too (sorry Rebels, filthy Imperial sympathiz
Steve Davala
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read other "Visual Dictionaries" for Star Wars, but this one takes the cake. There is SO much info in here about the movie. I read this after I watched it one time, then when I saw the movie again, I noticed so much more, and felt more connected to the movie/characters/etc.

Love the art style, cinematography, etc. This book is one I shall have out on my coffee table when guests arrive.

Indah Threez Lestari
684 - 2020

And then there were none...
Lisa
Oct 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
F's review: I really liked how much the book talked about the Imperials, but Rogue One isn't really my thing. ...more
Craig Yoshihara
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, favorites
I have always loved Dorling Kindersley books (known as “DK” for short). They have a long history of having great pictures, cool cross-sections, and bizarre little known facts so of course when they published a book on Rogue One it would have all of those elements – and more. What was special about this publication were two things – one that it included more than just details about ships and characters and two that it was written by none other than Star Wars guru Pablo Hidalgo.

If you want to read
Stephen Simpson
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
100% fan-service goodness.

The photos are high-quality and it gives even more background and content to the story. Not a must-have for casual fans by any means, but SW fans will probably like it.
Art of the Film
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive guide to the characters, creatures, droids, planets, and designs of "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story". There are a lot of new elements in the film which expand the Star Wars universe, but there are also many connections to the saga films, namely "A New Hope". The book discusses the many aspects of the film, both old and new. Of course, being an Ultimate Visual Guide, the book centers around high-resolution photos that fans will love. The book maintains the high editorial sta ...more
Siona St Mark
Another interesting read. Like The Force Awakens visual guide, this had interesting details about the characters and locations, even some of the side and background characters, as well as the vehicles and weapons. Being that I recently saw the Pam, this wasn't quite as interesting as the other one; however it was still definitely worth the read. My favorite pages were the ones on K2SO and Chirut. ...more
Jeff Lanter
Sep 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed anything visual from Star Wars and while I've never owned any of the previous Visual Guides for Star Wars, I flipped through quite a few at local bookstores and enjoyed them that way. For some reason, I got a wave of nostalgia for Star Wars and Rogue One recently and so I decided to pick this book up and see how much I enjoyed it. There are a couple of factors that will determine how much you like this:

Quality of visuals - Everything here is excellent from large still shots f
Nancy
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicely laid out. I enjoyed that pages dense with information were relieved by two-page spreads of lovely production photos. And even the dense pages weren't super dense; they were still very easy to read and enjoy. Great background information on characters, ships, and events from Rogue One. Not required to enjoy the movie, but enjoyable for a SW junkie like me.

I really loved the chapter of behind-the-scenes photos and production information. For a book that is mostly framed as "in universe" it
Andrei Ryumin
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This is a beautiful book but it really lacks information. I wanted to know some background of the main characters but it adds nothing new; something about Vader's castle or his human servant - also none. Most reduculous - nothing about Bor Galet - not even a picture!

On the other hand, there is plenty of "information" that may be of interest only for a die hard fan such as cut sections of the vehicles, names of the companies who built them, weapons, armor and clothes details, or names of and shor
RumBelle
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading these guides because of the detail they provide. We learn so much about characters, locations, ships and technology. Far more than the movies, or books, have time to explore. The character information was my favorite part of this particular guide. We were informed about where they were born, what there clothes represented, their political affiliations and more.

The information about the planets was equally intriguing especially since Rogue One took us to some remarkable locations.
Luis Del Aguila
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a visual guide to the movie it is very good, it gives a lot of extra information about the characters, planets and technology shown in the movie, and if you want to know which planet is the mother of Jyn Erso, or the type of blaster that Death troopers use this is the right book.
Now its importance in a Star Wars library would be because it enriches the experience of the movie and helps to better understand the characters, since it explains the vast majority of them from their technical sheet
Matt
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, star-wars
This was the first time I've read the Visual Encyclopaedia for Rogue One; brushing up on my Star Wars knowledge is always a favourite past time of mine!

It was really interesting to go through this! Plus learning about the vehicles and starfighters used in Rogue One as I have only seen the film once.
Alexander Pyles
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I've been starving for more Star Wars content since seeing episode 9 in December and this kinda scratched it, but other than a few factoids that I actually cared about, I found this overall kinda boring.

Probably didn't help that I only found Rogue One mildly compelling as a movie, despite it feeling like a story that "didn't need to be told."

Oh well.
Blair Nelson
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I am a big Star Wars fan but this book is also well-written. The writers took time to really think things out, especially how all of the things in the Star Wars universe--in this case, in the world of Rogue One--could actually work, were they real. Bravo!:)
Magnus
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm glad I bought this book. I wish though it had much more details instead of pretty to look at but otherwise not really useful two-page spreads. ...more
BigJohn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m not so sure why I enjoy these visual dictionaries as much as I do. On the plus side, there are lots of pictures of things you may miss while enjoying the visual feast of the movie itself. On the down side, there is an awful lot of made-up backstory that doesn’t appear to have any relevance to anything.

I keep buying them, though, and I read them all. Sometimes I feel that some really cool elements should be expanded upon more, but I may have to delve into all the Star Wars sub-properties (ani
Bill Porter
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love these books. You get a lot of background information that makes watching the movie more fun because you get the whole picture.
Aaron
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A few too many pages of head shots in a grid pattern with background stories.
Lukas Holmes
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrifically detailed. Read with my kids and their favorite page was the breakdown of the girl's toys that she had to leave behind. ...more
Alfred
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great! Awesome pics and info. Gareth Edwards should get his own trilogy!
Tom Gilson
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice book with interesting information.
Richard Kitterman
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt underwhelmed by the sequel trilogy guidebooks, but the Rogue One guide was much richer and shows a lot more of the Star Wars galaxy, and also ties Rogue One into the rest of the series.
Christopher
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Love this era and all the detail explained within.

• The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • The Beach
  • The Waste Land
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront #2)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Danny the Champion of the World
  • Boy: Tales of Childhood (Roald Dahl's Autobiography, #1)
  • The Magic Finger
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)
  • The Twits
  • The Changeling
  • The Crying of Lot 49
Art
See top shelves…

Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary