Start by marking “Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Star Wars)

Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide

(Star Wars Disney Canon Reference Books)

The essential, comprehensive guide to Rogue One: A Star Wars Story(TM).

This exciting reference format accompanies the eagerly anticipated, first-ever standalone Star Wars(TM) movie: Rogue One. This beautifully detailed title features in-depth character profiles, plus 5 newly commissioned and fully annotated cross-sections of vehicles and mapped-out locations. With clear and authoritati
Published December 16th 2016 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rogue One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue One

Start your review of Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Star Wars)
Paul E. Morph
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really nice coffee table book that goes into detail about the visual design aspect of the Rogue One movie. I wouldn't call it a 'must have' book but Star Wars fans should get a real kick out of it.
Andrew
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this should be a pretty straight forward review - I am a sucker for Star Wars and I love the quality of DK publications - and in general I was not disappointed, but something is not quite right.

I am not sure if I am getting a little jaded at the idea of constant large format colourful Star Wars books being churned out or that even established titles in the Star Wars collection seem to be getting regular refreshes as titles are being updated and revised (as more material is being
Jessamyn Leigh
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a lot of new info in this for me, I skimmed most of it because it’s due back (dewback?) at the library.
Amy Sturgis
Anyone who left the film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story wanting to know more about the main characters, the background characters, the settings and places, and/or the ships and technology will find a lot to consider and enjoy here. There is a great deal of content, from a detailed look at young Jyn's homemade toys to an analysis of the set pieces in Saw Guerrera's Jedha hideout.

I read this primarily for the information on the characters and the big ideas behind the universe, after reading the novel Catalyst a
Mauri
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Seeing the new Star Wars movies as someone who spent 7 years as the kind of fan who could rattle off all of the components necessary to build an astromech droid is frankly, weird. Rogue One, with its chronological proximity to the films of my youth, was a treat. My dad and I left the theater trying to name everything we recognized from the original trilogy.

So this book was a fun combination of new details to add to my database, but also a source of a lot of cognitive dissonance. The
Helix
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doesn't really count as reading, and I haven't really read mine anyways, but whoa, it really doesn't disappoint. Came for more info about R1 and pretty pictures (*coughs* Krennic *coughs*), stayed exactly for that, and so much more. 10/10 would recommend, especially to people who really loved R1.

Those TIE Strikers looked gorgeous as hell! And who knew Krennic's captain privately referred to his ship as the Pteranodon? The Star Destroyers are gorgeous too (sorry Rebels, filthy Imperial sympathiz
Craig Yoshihara
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, favorites
I have always loved Dorling Kindersley books (known as “DK” for short). They have a long history of having great pictures, cool cross-sections, and bizarre little known facts so of course when they published a book on Rogue One it would have all of those elements – and more. What was special about this publication were two things – one that it included more than just details about ships and characters and two that it was written by none other than Star Wars guru Pablo Hidalgo.

If you
Stephen Simpson
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
100% fan-service goodness.

The photos are high-quality and it gives even more background and content to the story. Not a must-have for casual fans by any means, but SW fans will probably like it.
Art of the Film
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive guide to the characters, creatures, droids, planets, and designs of "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story". There are a lot of new elements in the film which expand the Star Wars universe, but there are also many connections to the saga films, namely "A New Hope". The book discusses the many aspects of the film, both old and new. Of course, being an Ultimate Visual Guide, the book centers around high-resolution photos that fans will love. The book maintains the high editorial standards, ...more
Steve Davala
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read other "Visual Dictionaries" for Star Wars, but this one takes the cake. There is SO much info in here about the movie. I read this after I watched it one time, then when I saw the movie again, I noticed so much more, and felt more connected to the movie/characters/etc.

Love the art style, cinematography, etc. This book is one I shall have out on my coffee table when guests arrive.

Brandon St Mark
Another interesting read. Like The Force Awakens visual guide, this had interesting details about the characters and locations, even some of the side and background characters, as well as the vehicles and weapons. Being that I recently saw the Pam, this wasn't quite as interesting as the other one; however it was still definitely worth the read. My favorite pages were the ones on K2SO and Chirut.
Nancy
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicely laid out. I enjoyed that pages dense with information were relieved by two-page spreads of lovely production photos. And even the dense pages weren't super dense; they were still very easy to read and enjoy. Great background information on characters, ships, and events from Rogue One. Not required to enjoy the movie, but enjoyable for a SW junkie like me.

I really loved the chapter of behind-the-scenes photos and production information. For a book that is mostly framed as "in u
Andrei Ryumin
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This is a beautiful book but it really lacks information. I wanted to know some background of the main characters but it adds nothing new; something about Vader's castle or his human servant - also none. Most reduculous - nothing about Bor Galet - not even a picture!

On the other hand, there is plenty of "information" that may be of interest only for a die hard fan such as cut sections of the vehicles, names of the companies who built them, weapons, armor and clothes details, or names
RumBelle
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading these guides because of the detail they provide. We learn so much about characters, locations, ships and technology. Far more than the movies, or books, have time to explore. The character information was my favorite part of this particular guide. We were informed about where they were born, what there clothes represented, their political affiliations and more.

The information about the planets was equally intriguing especially since Rogue One took us to some remarkabl
Matt
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, star-wars
This was the first time I've read the Visual Encyclopaedia for Rogue One; brushing up on my Star Wars knowledge is always a favourite past time of mine!

It was really interesting to go through this! Plus learning about the vehicles and starfighters used in Rogue One as I have only seen the film once.
Blair Nelson
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I am a big Star Wars fan but this book is also well-written. The writers took time to really think things out, especially how all of the things in the Star Wars universe--in this case, in the world of Rogue One--could actually work, were they real. Bravo!:)
Tom Gilson
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice book with interesting information.
Magnus
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm glad I bought this book. I wish though it had much more details instead of pretty to look at but otherwise not really useful two-page spreads.
Richard Kitterman
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt underwhelmed by the sequel trilogy guidebooks, but the Rogue One guide was much richer and shows a lot more of the Star Wars galaxy, and also ties Rogue One into the rest of the series.
Aaron
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A few too many pages of head shots in a grid pattern with background stories.
Lukas Holmes
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrifically detailed. Read with my kids and their favorite page was the breakdown of the girl's toys that she had to leave behind.
Alfred
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great! Awesome pics and info. Gareth Edwards should get his own trilogy!
Michael
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
DK books are always awesome.
BigJohn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m not so sure why I enjoy these visual dictionaries as much as I do. On the plus side, there are lots of pictures of things you may miss while enjoying the visual feast of the movie itself. On the down side, there is an awful lot of made-up backstory that doesn’t appear to have any relevance to anything.

I keep buying them, though, and I read them all. Sometimes I feel that some really cool elements should be expanded upon more, but I may have to delve into all the Star Wars sub-pro
Bill Porter
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love these books. You get a lot of background information that makes watching the movie more fun because you get the whole picture.
Brandon Barnes
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, this visual dictionary from DK is amazing. Loads of good info.
Mary Zakanj
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing visual dictionary! The details on each character is stunning and I quite enjoy it even more than the force awakens visual dictionary! It's fun to know the facts!
Angelo Stango
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
It seems with the Disney take over, the recent DK visual guides and follow on story books for both Rogue One and Episode VII were less detailed than their predecessors of the first six movies. I personally enjoy reading the expanded thoughts and details not in the movies itself (we all saw the movies, the point of these books isn't to reiterate the movie, it's to expand upon it with new data and story line). There is a decided lack of this in this book among many other newer titles in the lineag ...more
Cassandra
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun, quick read, get to see more details. DK books are usually fun & thorough. And how could I pass up when its by Pablo Hidalgo who knows everything Star Wars! Its his job to know!
Donald
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy more background to the stories I experience and this visual guide to Rogue One does not disappoint. The level of information is excellent (it never feels like an overload) and it does a great job of highlighting the detail that has gone into creating every character, vehicle and location with some of the supporting/background characters being given a lot more depth. I look forward to re-watching the film soon having read this book as I believe it will highlight the effort that was pu ...more

• The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections (Journey to Star Wars - The Last Jedi)
  • The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars Rogue One: Mission Files
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader - Dark Lord of the Sith, Vol. 1: Imperial Machine
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron
  • Star Wars: Captain Phasma
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 5: The Spark and the Fire
  • Star Wars: Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars Disney Canon Reference Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
  • Ultimate Star Wars
  • Star Wars Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles