Start by marking “The Making of a Man: A Short Story Anthology (Novels of Rhynan #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Making of a Man: A Short Story Anthology (Novels of Rhynan #2.5)

The Making of a Man: A Short Story Anthology (Novels of Rhynan #2.5)

This is a short story anthology.

The Earl of Dentin returns. Eight stories ranging from short story to novelette in length give us greater understanding into why Dentin is the complex and enigmatic man he is. It also includes new adventures that happen between Honor and the next Rhynan novel.

Passing the Mantle – An ill-fated hunting trip
Forging Friendships – Recruiting
Kindle Edition
Published April 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Man

Start your review of The Making of a Man: A Short Story Anthology (Novels of Rhynan #2.5)
Alicia Willis
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
13+ for some mature elements.

I really enjoyed this collection of stories about some of Rachel Rossano's secondary characters. Delving into the world of Reginald was particularly fun. Isabeth's Redemption was a close second in my estimation of favorites.

The book had a great medieval feel and most of it was pretty historically accurate. I love all things medieval, so this book was a very fun read. I know it's not historical-fiction (I believe it is meant to be historical-fantasy), but modern
Deborah
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely what I needed to help me wait for Novel 3 in the Novels of Rhynan. The Making of a Man helped me understand Simon better. I found these short stories impossible to put this book down. They are so well written--I could hear the noisy clomping of the men through the trees and brush when they should be quiet. At times I held my breath at what was coming--but I was always surprised.
Rachel knows how to bring her characters to life. I just wish they were real--I'd love to meet them!
I
Angie Thompson
Ummm-kay... I loved this! I'm thinking I may really love short story collections centered in a series I enjoyed as a general rule, but either way, this was awesome! And I really loved the fact that they centered around Dentin; he's not a terribly complex character (at least in my mind), but there's so much unexplored depth beneath the surface. Not to mention, he's just an awesome character in the first place. <3

I did have a bit of a hard time following the chronology in a few places, but that
Kim
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
As per usual, Ms. Rossano swept me into the vivid world of her characters until I felt as if I were roaming about the country alongside them. The short stories are well-paced and provide great backstory to Simon/Dentin and other characters in the Rhynan novels. While it is not necessary to have read the first two novels of the Rhynan series to enjoy A Making of a Man, I would recommend doing so as it enriches the stories and relationships in the anthology. Ms. Rossano’s writing is compelling and ...more
Sabrina Nelson
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A much loved addition to the series..

The Making of a Man is much like the "deleted scenes" button on a movie.. Each of these short stories helps us to know a different person from the Duty, Honor & (upcoming) Faith series.. And gives you teasers for the upcoming book..

I love this series and share it will all my nieces. The characters are realistic and lovable.. Each damaged in their own way (much like we all are).

For Anyone who has read Duty and Honor.. This is a MUST read...

Bravo to the
Pat
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great roundup of short stories

This was a great idea carried off extremely well by Ms. Rossano and adding much to the stories of and backgrounds (and potential futures) of some of our favorite characters from the Novels of Rhynan - in particular Simon/Dentin and Elsa. Love these two so much and now eagerly await book three of the series!
Nicole
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read to fill in the blanks and prep the reader for Book 3 in the Novels of Rhynan series! Each story flowed well and added to the overall experience of the setting and feel that are brought to life by the author. While I enjoyed each one, my favorite was Isbeth's Redemption - something about it just grabbed me and held on tight! I can't wait to read more!
Lauren Jones
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
She resumed preparing the four meals. The bread was three days old, but not growing anything on it yet. A bit of butter on the sliced and lightly toasted bread hid the staleness. She selected a wine bottle from Tarian’s collection and added it with two goblets to the trays. Spoons, linen napkins and a tablecloth for the table completed the load. She opened the door wide enough for her to carry the trays through. As she turned back to claim the food from the table, Ashfield caught her skirt in ...more
English
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-review-copy
I probably was not the intended or ideal audience for this book, as I have not yet read the preceding books in the ‘Novels of Rynan’ series, and I was not familiar with most of the characters. I’m not a huge fan of fantasy, but I prefer it in this form- that is ‘Historical’ fantasy, which does not include mythical creatures or magic etc, but is rather like historical fiction with the exception being set in an invented place.

Rossano has created in Rhynan, and the surrounding states, an
Book Bits-N-Bobs
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this group of short stories, even though I have not read any of the books that the stories are connected with. The only thing I did struggle with was at the beginning of each new story the narrative perspective changes. So it switches from third party perspective, to first person, then it alternates between who's perspective the first person narrative is coming from. This did tend to throw me off a bit as I first started each new story. However the stories were written well ...more
InD'tale Magazine
Rachel Rossano takes the reader on a fantastic journey, seen not only through Dentin's eyes, but through the other characters in the stories of the anthology.

Read full review in the 2016 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Gretchen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about the supporting characters in Dentin's life. Well told short stories, and I would have read longer ones, too, as I generally prefer more over less with characters I like. And I like these ones! Hope Rhynan #3 comes soon!
Jonnelle Hayden
Steve Weber
Dec 17, 2016
Alan Saxon
Dec 17, 2016
Rachel Rossano is a happily married mother of three children. She spends her days teaching, mothering, and keeping the chaos at bay. After the little ones are in bed, she immerses herself in the fantasy worlds of her books. Tales of romance, adventure, and virtue set in a medieval fantasy world are her preference, but she also writes speculative fantasy and a bit of science fiction.

She loves to