Start by marking “Girl Out of Water” as Want to Read:
Girl Out of Water

Girl Out of Water

Anise Sawyer plans to spend every minute of summer with her friends: surfing, chowing down on fish tacos drizzled with wasabi balsamic vinegar, and throwing bonfires that blaze until dawn. But when a serious car wreck leaves her aunt, a single mother of three, with two broken legs, it forces Anise to say goodbye for the first time to Santa Cruz, the waves, her friends, and ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Girl Out of Water, please sign up.
Laura Silverman Hi! Thank you for asking - I'd love to clear this up! During this election cycle, I was targeted on my Twitter multiple times with anti-Semitic death…moreHi! Thank you for asking - I'd love to clear this up! During this election cycle, I was targeted on my Twitter multiple times with anti-Semitic death threats from Neo-Nazi Trump supporters. On one of these occasions, they rallied together and attacked this Goodreads' page with a flood of fake one-star reviews (the book was still in edits at the time and only available for review by a handful of friends).

The amazing book community drummed up tons of support for me and tried to counteract all the negative reviews. That's why you might see a lot of 5-star reviews with the word "Nazis" in it. I'm so thankful to everyone who supported me. While the flood of fake reviews has stopped there are still fake reviews trickling in, and I'm just not going to let trolls use up my energy by flagging them, so please use your awesome and best judgement when looking at the ratings on this page. I also suggest sorting by "newest review" as actual early copies make it out into the world. To be clear: this book has nothing to do with Judaism or Nazis or the election. I'm simply Jewish and vocal. Thank you again everyone! Here's a link to an article on what happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/n...

Answer edited on 12/06/2016 to address fake reviews still trickling in. Thanks y'all <3(less)
Stacey Conrad Some cursing, but not a lot. Yes, the main character curses some, but not all the time, only when stressed, mostly. No sex, just kissing.
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
214 books — 1,561 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,083 books — 8,406 voters

More lists with this book...

Leigh Bardugo
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A woman should be free to speak her mind on twitter without being trolled, harassed, and subjected to the ugliest kind of racist rhetoric. I'll be pre-ordering this book.
S
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laura Silverman is an incredible woman and fantastic author. At the moment, actual *literal* nazis are targeting her and spamming her reviews with *literal* nazi propaganda. Trust me when I say this woman is a force to be reckoned with and does not deserve this deplorable treatment. I have not yet read her book, but when it comes out I am buying a copy for me and all of my friends, because she is THAT good.

Please don't let the disgusting nature of the people attacking her sway you. They are tra
Victoria Schwab
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't had the luxury of reading this book yet but neither have the nightmarish people engaging in a targeted campaign of abuse.
Ashli
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Girl Out of Water is a story about Anise and her summer away from home. The summer before her senior year of high school Anise is being forced to spend the summer helping care for her aunt that was severely injured in a car crash. She is also there to help take care of her three younger cousins. Anise had all kinds of plans for her summer and her friends. She is having a hard time getting over the fact that she won't be there to experience all those plans and that she will be leaving California ...more
Kayla
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**Thank you to the author for providing me with an early copy in exchange for an honest review.**

I don't think I've ever read a more perfect coming of age novel. You would never expect that GIRL OUT OF WATER is Laura Silverman's debut novel because it's as well-crafted and artfully developed as a seasoned author's best work. Her witty and diverse characters, punchy dialogue, and stimulating plot are comparable to those of Nicola Yoon's Everything, Everything--another debut and one of my favorite
Serith
Sep 16, 2016 marked it as wanted
[UPDATE: Threat neutralized. I'll move this to my wish list and edit when a real review is set to go~!]

Not moving this 5 star review till the trolls have been exterminated.
description
Jay Coles
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
GIRL OUT OF WATER is a gem of a debut novel, unlike anything I’ve ever read. It’s a funny, adorable, nerdy, original, and deeply moving coming-of-age story about a surfer girl named Anise who is a very flawed protagonist who has to leave everything behind, including her friends that are about to go off into their separate paths and want so desperately to spend their last summer with her. Anise is forced to pack up her bags and move to Nebraska to take care of her aunt, who’s recently got in a ca ...more
Marie Lu
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come. Absolutely loved. Pre-ordered too, which you can also do here with the publisher's link: http://ow.ly/ymjs304hLKC
Bonnie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am the authors mother. Even so I promised Laura I'd come at this with an objective viewpoint. About one year ago I read only the first three chapters and have been waiting with baited breath for the rest of the book. Yesterday I finally got to read Girl Out of Water start to finish! Throughout the book I looked forward to seeing what would happen next. It's one of those books that's just a good story. You will feel a host of emotions during your read. I'd recommend this book to you ...more
Lauren
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the opening scene to closing chapter, I could not put Girl Out of Water down! The author totally puts the reader into Anise's mind and paints a wonderful narrative through her eyes. Loved how the plot always leads you in an unexpected direction. Great debut novel from a incredibly talented author!
Tamora Pierce
Shelves: ya-yr
This book isn't out yet, but I will buy it. I will read it. Why? Because people tried to do a pile-on due to the writer's politics, not the quality of her book. They *lied* about reading it. Last I checked, people could write whatever they wished to in this country--it's in the constitution. Read your Constitution (especially that pesky Billy of Rights thing). If you don't like what you read, write something of you own. That's how it works--not through censorship.
BookChic Club
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Following in Hannah's footsteps and am putting in a preliminary star rating here to counteract the bigoted folks trying to tear down this book's star rating because of the author's last name (aka no good reason). I am now making it a point to read this book when it comes out (or if I can get a review copy in my hands) and putting up a real review as soon as I'm able. I urge you all to do the same.
Victoria Aveyard
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super excited for this book!!
Katie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So let me open by saying that I read all of Girl Out of Water in one go. Barring a natural disaster or unexpected company, that’s pretty much my metric for how engaging, immersive, and enjoyable I find a novel. And, guys, Girl Out of Water is SO ENJOYABLE!

It started with the imagery. Laura Silverman has a way with words that’s both subtle and striking. Dialogue, description — doesn’t matter. She’s got a gift when it comes to sentence structure. But, honestly, it’s the characters that really shin
Adam Silvera
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laura is a HUGE CHAMPION of books and I'm so damn excited she has her own book deal!
GIVE. IT. TO. ME.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't actually read this yet but Laura Silverman needs our help. We can't let such disgusting abuse and hate go without action. It's not right and i won't stand for it.
Ceillie Simkiss
Originally rated it five stars in an attempt to combat a disgusting attack on Laura's character from Twitter asshats. Now that I've read it, it definitely warrants every star.
Read my full review here!
Brie
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, as is the author. I support her and her book and can't wait to champion it in 2017 and beyond.
Jody Casella
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What is happening to this author and her book-- a book that is not even out yet-- is appalling.
Leontiy Cristea
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book, but neither have those surging here from Twitter where the author is being harassed.

This book isn't any of the things the racists harassing the author are claiming. It's a book written by a Jewish woman and apparently people have a problem with that.

Five million stars. Buy this book when it's out.
Liv
Sep 16, 2016 marked it as to-read
i havent read this but i'm getting tired of this author being attacked for simply sharing her opinion on twitter.
Kourtni R.
This review was originally posted on my blog.

What a great book this was. I’m really impressed that this is Silverman’s debut novel because it was amazing.

One of the first things that I noticed and loved was the diversity of the characters. As is mentioned in the blurb, the love interest, Lincoln, only has one arm. He’s also black. I think Silverman did a fantastic job of portraying him as a real, three-dimensional character without ignoring his disability or focusing only on his disability. In
Melanie
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, engrossing story grips you from page one, plunging you into the heart and mind of the main character as she struggles with the fear of becoming her mother and the turmoil of leaving home for the first time. With loveable, endearing characters and vivid prose, Girl Out of Water is an excellent read that is hard to put down.
Octavia
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the scum of the Earth fool you.
Sana
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone's been rating this five stars just to support the author with the whole trolls situation, but I refused to rate this at all because that's a bullshit way to support. Come and fight me on this. The best way to support the author was to take down those fucking trolls, which has been done. Books should be rated after being read and having formed your own opinions about them.

Honestly, just stop rating a book 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 stars IF YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING READ IT. It's not that hard, why do
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the author's first name.

(Proper review once the book is out)
Martina Boone
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the trolls who have put this book on my radar. I'm proud of the YA community for coming together to ensure that individuals or small groups with an agenda cannot engage in a hate campaign to achieve the ends they're aiming for. One-starring books on Goodreads is not a response that can be allowed to stand as it effects not only one author, but the publisher and therefore the possibility of other books being published. It's an effort to silence speech in a land where that freedom is ...more
Marie Rutkoski
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I haven't read this book yet, I am very excited for it!
Denisa
Jul 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
I read the description just now and teared up a little bit-- both from excitement and the fact that I know that this book that's going to make me feel a LOT. This book is something I NEED and WANT and just MUST HAVE as soon as possible, okay? Okay.
Triana
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this yet, but people on the internet have taken offense from it so I am sure it is not only well written and interesting but also intriguing and challenging of our current social norms. This is a book I would love to read and would recommend to anyone.
Contemporary YA: May 1 15 May 21, 2017 12:11PM
tumblr trolls making multiple accounts in attempt to boost book rating 2 671 Dec 24, 2016 04:26AM
Our Shared Shelf: This topic has been closed to new comments. Laura Silverman Hate on Goodreads 9 893 Sep 18, 2016 08:58PM

• The Last Thing You Said
  • Identity Crisis
  • Chaotic Good
  • Wild Swans
  • Kissing Max Holden
  • Omen Operation (Isolation, #1)
  • Chasing Crazy
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • The Art of French Kissing
  • Syncopation (Twisted Wishes, #1)
  • Flight Risk
“I fucking did it. I ollied. A shitty ollie, but still - if a tree falls in the forest, and it was a shitty tree, the tree still fell, right?” 5 likes
“There's something satisfying about going faster than you can on the legs you were born with.” 4 likes