Start by marking “There Are No Accidents” as Want to Read:
There Are No Accidents

Robert H. Hopcke

There Are No Accidents

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  412 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Think back on all the coincidences that have shaped your life--the homes you lived in, the love stories you created, the jobs you held. Jungian psychotherapist Robert Hopcke shows readers how to sift through life's coincidences in order to better understand the soul and read the map of its destiny. Blending his mastery of storytelling with years of synchronicity reflection ...more
Published 2008 (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about There Are No Accidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are No Accidents

Vanessa
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Chances are, if this book has found its way into your hands, you are supposed to read it", said the book jacket. So how could I resist? Now that I have read it, I don't know what to make of it. The main premise of it is the author's belief in the Jungian concept of "synchronicity", although he takes synchronicity a step further and adds that for events to be synchronous they also have to be transformative in nature. Essentially then, that there are no accidents; that chance events are meaningfu ...more
Heidi The Hippie Reader
My takeaway from There Are No Accidents is the definition of synchronicity and where it originated in the first place. Jung was trying to describe "meaningful coincidences" intellectually without dismissing the emotional content as meaningless or relying solely on metaphysical explanations (i.e. God, religion). The author's definition of synchronicity (combined with Jung's)(from pg 23)
1. acausal (so no definite cause)
2. deeply emotional (for the person involved)
3. content of the synchronicity i
Diane
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been having so many moments of synchronicity in my life in the past few years, and it is just increasing. Nice to know I'm not going crazy. ;)
Frank
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acquisto
La lettura di un libro di questo genere necessita di un atteggiamento particolare; ciò che va assolutamente evitato è il tipo di approccio di chi vuole sapere come stanno le cose nella realtà.

Non è questo lo scopo del libro, né il tipo di risposta che esso può dare al lettore.

Nel senso che l’autore dice e spiega quello che secondo lui è il motivo per cui tutte queste coincidenze vengono da noi notate, a differenza di tante altre che invece ci lasciano indifferenti.

Per spiegarmi meglio voglio dir
Qu
Jul 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychological
The final chapter (Every story has a Beginning and an Ending) I found to be the most interesting. His statements about how hard it is to let go of cause-and-effect ways of thinking when it comes to such things that flatter our ego gave me a lot to think about. I learned quite a bit form Hopcke’s explanation of why he chooses to refer to dreams and other phenomenon that are usually described as predictive, extrasensory or prophetic as synchronistic. Another important thing that I learned from th ...more
David
Hopcke, Jungian psychotherapist, explores all the moments of synchronicity surrounding our lives if we'd only look around. It's organized well with some good food for thought. unfortunately, it's drier than stale bread.
Sammy Sutton
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Synchronicity and The Stories of Our Lives' The author uses real life stories to reinforce the theory. He seems to be a long time student of the teachings of Carl Jung. His writing is delightful as he works hard to support the theory.
Arlene
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I found the concept of synchronicity very interesting and I enjoyed the stories, but I got lost in the Jungian terminology sometimes.
James
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As another reviewer noted, it's really hard to take any sort of effective stance towards synchronicity in one's own life, just due to the nature of the phenomenon. If meaningful coincidences cannot be interpreted properly except in retrospect, can we really use such events as guideposts in life, as spurs for taking on new courses of action (or keeping on the course we've already taking)?

Disregarding my personal belief that there is never one "proper" interpretation of events, it seems like the
Pierre Fortier
La théorie du hasard dirigé de Teilhard de Chardin a suscité chez moi un vif intérêt à la fin de mon adolescence. J'ai dès lors poursuivi ma quête sur le mécanisme de l'instinct, du hasard et de la synchronicité. Mes lectures m'ont projeté dans l'univers de la théorie de la relativité, de la gnose de Princeton, de la physique quantique et des conférences de Nassim Haramein. Au fil de ma vie, j'ai promené mes lectures entre la biographie d'Einstein et la Prophétie des Andes, passant du complexe a ...more
coincidences.. 1 1 Dec 20, 2015 06:05AM
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • Inside the Other Side: Soul Contracts, Life Lessons, and How Dead People Help Us, Between Here and Heaven
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • Practical Intuition
  • Beyond Coincidence: Amazing Stories of Coincidence and the Mystery Behind Them
  • Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People
  • Un cabinet d'amateur
  • The Crisis of Psychoanalysis - Essays on Freud, Marx & Social Psychology
  • The Language of the Body
  • Il mondo a piedi: Elogio della marcia
  • Cult Rapture
  • Jung to Live by
  • The Search for Omm Sety
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster