Start by marking “A Story about a Real Man” as Want to Read:
A Story about a Real Man

A Story about a Real Man

Повестта разказва историята на съветския пилот Мересиев, свален в бой през Втората световна война. Тежко ранен, изгубил и двата си крака, Мересиев успява да се завърне в редиците на действащите пилоти.
Романът е преиздаван повече от 80 пъти в Русия, 49 пъти в бившите държави от СССР и 39 пъти в нерускоезични държави.
Прототип на героя в повестта е реалният исторически персон
Published June 1st 2002 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about A Story about a Real Man, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Story about a Real Man
Ahmad Sharabiani
Повесть о настоящем человеке = Tale of a True Man = A Story about a Real Man (1947), Boris Nikolaevich‬ ‎Polevoi, or Boris Nikolaevich Kampov (1908–1981)
Real Man, originally published in Russian in 1947 as A Story about a Real Man (or also as Story about a True Man), is the inspirational story of World War Two-era Soviet fighter pilot Alexey Petrovich Maresyev (May 20, 1916–May 19, 2001). On April 4, 1942, Maresyev's Polikarpov I-16 was shot down near Staraya Russa, then occupied by Nazi Germany
Argona
I read this novel in High school and I really enjoyed it. It took me a while to finish it but once I did, it left a very deep impression on me and to this day, I remember most of the story. It's a very beautiful story. A story about humanity, patriotism, determination and hope.

Imagine this story is taking place in your own country and the patriotism will indeed touch you very deeply. Imagine what is happening to the main character and his determination will move you even more! Imagine living in
Raphael Lysander
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
what I like about Russian superheroes is the fact they are real. They don't need a German scientist to give them a secret formula to grow theirs muscles and make them undefeated.. Or transformers from out the space.. All it requires strong well and faith to temper the steel.
Suryabrata Banerjee
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
First read this one as a child. Note this book is available in many language including Bengali (Manusher moto Manush). I lost the book and searched real hard in my college life to get a copy again.

This is a story of a soviet fighter pilot, who lost both his legs due to gangrene and fought against all odds to regain his position as a successful fighter pilot. A really inspiring story and I believe it is worth reading. I should point out that as the original book is russian, though most of us rea
Sameera
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I got my hand to this book (the Translation) when I was ten, I was up til early hours of the day because I could not keep it down til I finish it. I've read it many a times after that. What a truly inspirational story.....
Sandy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-books
How inspiring! Another book I've read a few times during the teenage years. Still stands out. Alexey Petrovich is one incredible man who lost almost everything, including his legs and fought to gain all that he lost.

Dreams can come true, if you try really hard!!!
Harmit
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 13 n still its one of my favs. A must read.
Roshan Sandaruwan
I bought this books nearly two years ago, but I never had the motivation to read it because it was a Russian translation. I didn't like Russian books much, as the character names are very uncomfortable and confusing for me. However, during this lockdown period I wanted to finish reading the leftover books in my shelf and guess what, I chose this one.

At first I was a little skeptical I admit, and even after starting to read it I was not sure how far will I go. But what can I say? the book just t
Shamila Abeysinghe
It was about ten years ago when I first read this book, and as a kid, didn't understand much of the story then, but loved it because I've been a fan of war-time stories with a Russian setting even then. Now, reading this with a better understanding, it only made what was an excellent first impression better; a story of courage, unwavering determination, patriotism and love which is bound to make a lasting memory as one of the best books I've read.
Ghadeer Jallad
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The novel took me to the land of the impossible where a Man cannot be stopped from transforming dreams into reality. Everyone of us has an extraordinary features, but people who take advantage of these features are very rare.
Aloka Munasinghe
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can't read this book without crying even though I have read this several times before. Russian books have that special thing to make your heart warm with words and Mr.Dedigama V.Rodrigo's translation is superb.
R Z
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most amazing books i have ever read. so inspiring. my old time favourite
Sujith
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have ever read!!
Yasoda
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sinhala, owned
I have read this book many times. (At least 5 times)
Each time, the story brings tears to my eyes.
Julia Anderson
I've read this book in my childhood and was very impresses. Re reading it some sixty years later was interesting.
Boris Polevoy was a war correspondent during the Great Patriotic War (Soviet tern for WW2) and his writing is much in the journalistic style of the Stalin era. Unlike Vasily Grossman who as well was a war corespondent and a great writer, Polevoy is mediocre especially when it comes to literary writing.
The Story of a Real Man is in fact the story of the real soviet pilot Alexey Petrovi
Street
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
It's been one of my life long favorites. I never get bored of reading this. The author setups the background in the first part, thus could be bit boring. But since the middle of the second part the real story starts. For me, it's masterly written that it automatically visualizes the story like a cinema - making me feel i was there watching it all.

Personal note - when i first read this book when i was about 9-10 years old, it was merely a great heroic story. But when i'm reading it now, it has m
Ani Avdalyan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve first read this book when I was 10 and the re-read it many times. This is a great true story about the power of determination, strong will and indomitable human spirit. It’s been a source of inspiration for me throughout the years and got me through the hard times.
Priya Nayyar
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a really motivating real story. This book was recommended to me by my Professor and I would thank him forever for the recommendation.
Waddah Arafat
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Vishwa Akalanka
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best story ever read in my life. So much inspiration and morality in this book. So lucky to witness the story.
Bharath G
My aunt read a Tamil translation to us when my cousins, brother, and I were children. It left an impression on me.
Yavor Kovachev
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read... up there with "For whom the bell tolls" by Hemingway.
Amer
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love led it
Chamara Sandaruwan
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Such an inspiring story. You won't believe a man can have this much courage and determination.
Chanaka Hettige
It's been almost 6 or 7 years since I first read this book. Though I didn't remember the details when I started reading this for the second time, few weeks ago, I know where the book was heading. It was an absolute pleasure to read the book in the mist of vaguely remembering the book from the previous read. And the book altogether is an absolute pleasure to experience.

The book is wound around the true story of a Soviet war hero named Alexiei Maresyev, who became victories in life amidst of all
Shishani
It took me a really long time to end it cause I was reading a bit each day or week after work..
The type of stories that tells you not to stop doing what you like to do for any reason and regardless how people look at you for having anykind of disability.. Still I don't believe he made it that far!!
Anyways, the best conclusion of this story is: don't let people drag you down with their looks but let their looks be your motive to do better.
Gargi
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bimal Abeysinghe jayawardhana
I read the translated version of this book several times as child and was one of the most loved books of all times by me. it encouraged me to move on and feels that the courageous feeling is still in side me.
Adi
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books i have ever read...and re read....recomend it to all
Mehrdad
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a Russian "Douglas Bader". I read this many years ago, I could not put it down. Amazing story, very well written.

• ගුරු ගීතය
  • Ward No. 6 and Other Stories
  • The Young Guard
  • Улица младшего сына
  • Золотой Ключик, или Приключения Буратино
Boris Nikolaevich Polevoi (Russian: Борис Николаевич Полевой) was a notable Soviet writer. He is the author of the book Story of a Real Man about a Soviet World War II fighter pilot Alexei Petrovich Maresiev (or Alexej Petrovich Maresjev).

Борис Николаевич Полевой русский советский журналист и писатель-прозаик. Лауреат двух Сталинских премий второй степени (1947, 1949). Лауреат Международной премии