Start by marking “The Hard Way” as Want to Read:
The Hard Way

The Hard Way

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Cade Hall has always been the golden boy of the gridiron. Because of his talent at football, coupled with his father’s wealth, he’s always gotten his way. But when a night of drunken debauchery lands him in hot water with the college athletic board, neither his influential father nor his charming grin can save him. He finds it a total buzz kill when he is sentenced to comm ...more
300 pages
Published August 31st 2016 by Katie Ashley Productions

Jayme
3.5 stars. Emotional high school/college romance. Spoiled, rich bad boy meets a smart, poor girl. A few years later, they have a second chance at love. It can be nice read when it catch your market.

The Hard Way is about young - twenty, twenty-one - college kids. However the plot takes place during the summer. It's a second chance romance with return to the past moments, to the beginning of Avery and Cade love in high school. After three years, they meet again and have a another chance at love.
NMmomof4
DNF @ 74ish%

This is a second chance romance, and we get flashbacks from their senior year in high school to their present. As younger teenagers, they fell in love after spending time together working on a school project. They are separated with the H acting cruel, and are reunited ~4 years later when the H is assigned community service at the same place that the h works.

I love a good second-chance romance! BUT I do need the reasoning behind the separation to be understandable and I also need so
Michelle
Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 46f71983740e383e278c69acf43406_zpscpmvczz1.gif

Katie Ashley has been an author that quite recently has been on my book radar since I first read my first Katie Ashley book last year. When I first read the synopsis of her newest New Adult sports romance, The Hard Way, I knew instantly that I had to get my hands on this book stat.

The Hard Way was definitely a fitting title for this book as the author wrote a story that was filled with angst, drama, second chances and love. The hero in t
Carmen Rae
I am really finding myself struggling with this review. I don’t know if maybe I need to sit back and think about it all for a little longer or if it’s just that for half of the book I was pissed way the hell off and for the other half I was conflicted over loving the story and being devastated at a few of the twists and turns the book took us on.

I have tried to take a few calming breaths to try to put my thoughts in order but they are still jumping around like a kid on a sugar high. I started th
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★ 3 Stars ★★★

Cade Hall is a football hero at his college, but after a drunken prank gone wrong, he is forced to work community service at a local shelter for underprivileged kids. This is where he comes face to face with his past, and discovers that the girl he very callously dumped in high school is his line supervisor.

Avery Prescott has never forgotten the humiliation of being publically dumped by the school God, and vows not to let him get off lightly when she is tasked with showing him the
Polly
2 *the struggle is real* stars

I'm not going to lie, I almost DNF this one like 4 times. However I really really try to finish arcs so I pushed through.

Let me first say, I'm a huge football fan. HUGE. I know my shit. It was apparent to me early on that the author didn't. If there is one thing I can not stand in a sports romance is when it's not realistic.

There's a football player on the cover. The guy hardly did anything football related. The time lines didn't match up, and there was some info
Kim
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5+ stars

An alcohol induced act of stupidity leads Cade Hall to community service in order to save his spot on his college football team. But he has no idea his past is about to take a bite out of his already chewed up a**. The program day manager is Avery Prescott, the girl who he nearly destroyed in the past.

We learn about their lives now and in the past and how it all went to hell. She is no longer the sweet innocent, awkward, tender-hearted girl who thought he had a heart under his outer fa
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
Learning lessons the Hard Way sucks, right?

Of course I was excited to get my hands on a Katie Ashley book. I must say, this was different from what I was used to reading from her. She took me back to high school, and it was a painful trip. Being inside Avery's head as she went through such a devastating experience was enough to put Cade on my shit list. I wanted to give him a bigger black eye than what he was sporting on the cover of this book. I wanted him to experience the same level of hell
Emily
Avery Prescott had a vivid memory of her senior year, especially the boy who broke her heart. Now four years later, that boy, Cade Hall waltzes in to the center she volunteers for entitled and feeling he should not have to do much to serve his penance for a blunder that has him facing possible suspension from football at Georgia Tech. Avery sees an opportunity to exact a little revenge for his actions years ago, but she worries that her heart is still involved.

Gut wrenching. I thought this was
JAIME
This was a pretty okay second chance romance story where we have two kids from opposite worlds - she grew up on a farm, he in a mansion, the usual - who fell in love in high school. She gives him the old V card, and he calls her a pity fuck and denies all other involvement of her the very next day. Because, asshole.

Now, they meet up a couple of years later when, surprise surprise, he is still an asshole and has been ordered to do community service at a center for underprivileged kids that our h
Shayna
I always enjoy the mix of sweet and sexy that Katie Ashley brings to the table. This second chance romance brought drama, angst, and heavy emotion to the forefront, leaving me turning the pages faster and faster. In addition to being a second chance at love romance, there is the sports romance aspect of THE HARD WAY. And you know I love me some sports romance! Ms. Ashley took it to a deeper level, and made me flip the switch on liking the hero of this story. Cade Hall was not an easy character t ...more
Jessica Alcazar
Second chances .... everyone in their lifetime, at one point or another, will make a choice that will cost them dearly. They will want a chance to be able to repent. I believe in second chances! And they are one of my favorite tropes to read about in a book. No one is life is ever perfect. Things are said. Things are done. Sometimes they're good. Sometimes, not so much. The key to bad choices is that when faced with a time/place/way to right that choice, you grab ahold of it and right it. Cue ...more
Janna ♥ I'm A Sweet And Sassy Book Whore ♥
***This and other reviews can be found at www.imasweetandsassybookwhore.com ***

*ARC*

I am telling you this book whore has been reading some really amazing books as of late and The Hard Way is just another one added to that list. It’s been a little but since I have read a Katie Ashley book, but the second I started I felt right back at home because I knew this would be another great book and I wasn’t wrong. The Hard Way is a second chance romance between Avery and Cade, who had something special i
Mari
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since Katie Ashley wrote a sports related novel. Now set in college football Cade Hall has it all as an popular golden boy he has the smarts, athleticism, looks but that one drunken mistake lead to a wake up call. He had to grow up and learn the hard way so to speak. It's all fun and games and not taking things seriously until your faced with the consequences.

In the beginning I agreed Cade needed to learn a lesson, a little knock from the pedestal. The flippant attitude he had
Romance Readers Retreat
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

It's been a while since I read a New Adult book and this one definitely didn't disappoint at all.

In the past It's been no secret that I'm generally not a fan of chapters that revert to past events, I usually feel they affect the flow of a book for me however in this case, I have to say it was those parts I enjoyed the most and they were absolutely essential to the story anyway. It was these parts that were full of the most angst which really made me sympathise with Avery.

Cade was your
Rustys
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Privileged preppy Cade Hall is ordered to volunteer at an “at risk center”
where he comes face to face with his past.
Avery Prescott the girl he destroyed in high school.
Alternates present/past and it’s the memory of how he hurt Avery
that left me speechless.
What a scum bag he was. Cruel and dismissing.
I’m not sure I’d be as forgiving as Avery.
Sometimes, it only takes as little as one or two words for me to
either like or dislike a character. For Cade, two words did it.
There was no going back onc
Lustful Literature
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it

Beth's Review 3.5 STARS

The Hard Way by Katie Ashley
Rating 3.5 stars
Review

I first fell in love with Katie Ashley’s writing many years ago when I first read her Proposition Series and then absolutely fell in love with her Run Away Train series. So when I saw that she had a new one coming out and it was a sports romance, I couldn’t wait to pick this one up. Add in the fact this one was a bit of a second chance romance, I just knew I had to read it.

Avery Prescott grew up on her family’s farm and did
Emma
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Hard Way provides a completely unexpected insight into character development; unfortunately, I have always felt as if the tragedies we experience tend to shape identity to a greater extent than all the positive experiences. The Hard Way amplifies this proving we learn the most valuable life lessons the hard way.

I've got to be honest and say I kinda despised Cade at the start; he was the epitome of a douche-monster, rich, good looking and intelligent with the ego to back it up. Entitled to th
Clau
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Me mantuvo entretenida, aunque me habría gustado que hubiese un poco más de romance.
La historia transcurre en dos tiempos, presente y pasado. En el pasado, Cade y Avery tienen un tierno romance, a los 17 y 18 años, que termina mal.
En el presente, Avery y Cade se reencuentran. Ella lo odia y él se arrepiente de lo que sucedió cuando eran jóvenes (tres años antes). Aunque la sinopsis parecía prometedora, me habría gustado ver más el lado romántico de Cade, y me molestó que ella lo perdonara tan f
Kim
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When an ultimatum is given to an 18 year old you know yourself that it will not end well even though they think they are doing what is best for the other person.... Someone will get hurt.....

When Cade falls for Avery it was a big deal to him because he was not the relationship type ... He was more the quick in quick out type. But when a school projects puts them together nothing could stop what there hearts want and feel, there project excelled and so did there relationship. For a privileged and
Hooker Heels Book Blog
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Hard Way is just one more reason as to why Katie Ashley has always been and always will be one of my favorite authors.

While this book is billed as a sports romance, it is so much more than that. It is a true testament to the fact that people can always change, no matter how complex the situation may be. Sometimes it just takes the right person and a good old fashioned dose of real life to set the wheels in motion.

An excellent testament to YA reads everywhere The Hard Way will have you fallin
Amanda Adams Steward
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star read from one of my favorite authors. I love when I'm reading her books because usually she uses towns near where she lives. And since she lives near me I feel like I know these areas. Makes it even better. Also I loved how she worked in Abby and Jake from Runaway Train her first book series I read of hers. I seriously hope she makes a second book with these characters. I want to know if he becomes a doctor and she becomes a lawyer and if they have kids together!! Warning be prepa ...more
Carol-Ann
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another good read from Katie Ashley story told past/present which tells the story well, Great characters of Cade hall rich kid / football hero who needed taking down a peg or two, He definitely gets that when he has to do community service at a local shelter where he meets again Avery Prescott who hadn't forgot or forgiven him for what he did last time they knew each other! I received this advance copy for an honest review!
Rachel
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

Cade Hall’s drunken antics lead him to a community service commitment for the summer. While he hadn’t anticipated being caught, he really hadn’t anticipated that his new boss for the summer would be none other than his one high school regret.

Avery Prescott has worked hard to reach her goals, including having to pick herself up after being humiliated at the end of her senior year. While she hadn’t thought she’d ever face her tormentor again, she knows she’s not the same quiet, sky dormou
April Symes
It’s a good day when Katie Ashley releases a book and a great day when she writes about the hero being involved in my favorite sport- college football.
Cade Hall did something stupid all due to drinking and now he has a chance that he could lose his chance at going to college and playing football. Only way to save his chance is by community service to keep his spot on the team. But keeping his spot is the least of his worries when the past comes flying back into his life. The program day manager
Eileen Robinson
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is told with in both past and present. It’s also in both pov’s, well written, complex well developed characters, with all the right amounts of angst, drama, sexyness and humour in perfect proportions.

Cade Hall and Avery Prescott are total opposites, he’s from a rich privileged background and Avery from a modest farming family. At first there isn’t really much to like about Cade, he really doesn’t give a though to anything but himself. Avery brings something out of him and for the fir
Stacia- Three Girls and a Book Obsession
3.5 Stars

Pretty much from the first page, we learn what a trouble maker Cade Hall is. And due to his most recent drunken antics, he is in some pretty hot water with the school board; trouble that even his influential father can't get him out of. The last thing he wants to do is spend his summer working at a inner-city youth community center- especially when he lays eyes on the one girl that has always been his biggest regret.

"In every 'manwhore with seeminly no soul's' world, there is one girl
Nikki Costello
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Crazy Cajun Book Addicts for an honest review.

What a great read from Katie Ashley, as always she just knows how to pull you into a story. The Hard Way is a second chance romance with a political edge to it. It's a story that will send you on a rollercoaster of emotions and it did bring a tear to my eye at times.

Cade Hall and Avery Prescott go to the same school but couldn't be more different.
Cade is the golden boy of his school football team
The Book Avenue
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love second chance romances, and this one is the perfect one. Avery and Cade have a past, probably one of the most brutal ones I’ve read. While I wanted to throat punch Cade for his decisions, I couldn’t help but love his cocky self. I was hoping he saw the error of his ways.

Katie Ashley always provides a really deep message in her books. They are perfect reads for young and old. Throw in some pop culture from today and the 80’s to make a very well rounded story for all readers to enjoy.

I lo
Jan
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Shakespeare stars

A sweet story

Cade is Mr popular, comes from money with a dad as a politician and Avery is a sweet down to earth girl who helps her mum in a store and also on her Grans farm, she's a good natured sweet kind of girl.

This plot took me back to the film Greece were Danny and Sandy fell in love over the summer and when Sandy meets him in School he's a complete asshole.

Not the same plot at all but it had that same feel when Cole completely turns on Avery.

The plot goes from past t
  • Bad Judgment
  • The Hot Shot (Game On, #4)
  • Three Rules
  • Bedmates (American Royalty, #1)
  • Downed (Gridiron, #3)
  • Rookie Move (Brooklyn Bruisers, #1)
  • A Sublime Casualty (A Sublime Casualty, #1)
  • Harley & Rose
  • Screwmates
  • Forget You, Ethan
  • Twirled Bond (Holly Woods Files, #5)
  • #FML (#FML, #1)
  • Unsuitable
  • Out of Bounds (The Summer Games, #2)
  • Across the Ring
  • Four Letter Word (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • Stroked (Stroked, #1)
  • Gravity
Katie Ashley is a New York Times, USA Today, and Amazon Best-Selling author. She lives outside of Atlanta, Georgia with her daughter, Olivia, and her two very spoiled dogs. She has a slight obsession with Pinterest, The Golden Girls, Harry Potter, Shakespeare, Supernatural, Designing Women, and Scooby-Doo.

With a BA in English, a BS in Secondary English Education, and a Masters in Adolescent Engli
More about Katie Ashley...