Start by marking “A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold (The Family of Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold (The Family of Night, #1)

A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold

(The Family of Night #1)

A Ghost Trapped in a Tower. A Peasant Girl. A Curse Six Hundred Years Old . . .

For six hundred years I have dwelt in this prison. Trapped. Helpless. Unliving and undying.

For six hundred years I have watched as cursebreakers come and go. Brave young women all, gifted with powers beyond mortal understanding.

I have watched them die. I have watched them wish to
Published May 16th 2016 by Rooglewood Press (first published March 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold, please sign up.
Yakira Goldsberry I have a feeling that this book was supposed to be part of a series, but I haven't seen the author write or publish anything recently, so who knows.
Jill It is a loose retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses."

H.S.J. Williams
Before there can be a beginning, there must first be an end.

It was a sad day for fans when Anne Elisabeth declared she must pause the Tales of Goldstone Wood series for a few years….it seemed new journeys into the Between were at an end, at least for a time. But lo and behold, a new beginning awaited! The first book of a four part series set WITHIN Goldstone Wood….not part of the series itself, but part of the very same world. So what joy, what excitement!

For me, it did not disappoi
Shantelle
I cried ... again. Don't I always with Anne Elisabeth Stengl's novels? A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold, the first book to her new series, THE FAMILY OF NIGHT, was no different for me. It made me cry. And it was mind-blowingly amazing, of course!

This epic new novel from Anne Elisabeth is fantasy, like her other books. In fact, it even takes us to the Woods Between, and the beautiful Starflower's lovely Haven (if you didn't know, these are both from TALES OF GOLDSTONE WOOD). So these t
JonathanT
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, I hate to be a wet blanket, but this one was a definite no for me. I probably would have DNFed but I hate DNFing unless it's for content. XD

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. Because everything about this book was practically screaming for me to like it. The cover, the length, even the super vague synopsis.

But honestly, I found it very strange and weird and confusing, basically like a dream. I didn't particularly like any of the characters, and idek guys I'm still so confused. XD Plus this had a bit more m
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I'm a bit questionable about this book...in some ways I really enjoyed it, but then there was a lot that turned me off.

I especially didn't like how things turned out with Ben.

I don't know...I think the only way I can explain it is that I finished the book but didn't feel complete or that something was lacking.

Maybe there will be another book to see what happens next.
E.F.B.
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All the people
Have you ever read a book that was so utterly satisfying that when you finished it you closed it, sighed happily and hugged the book? That was this book for me. (I'm not even joking, I seriously did hug this book.)

This review will not contain much detail about the actual story because I am afraid to spoil people, and being able to go into this story completely blind, not having anything but the vaguest idea of the general plot premise was part of the magic of it for me. I was able to
Katie Grace
I'm really disappointed. I absolutely LOVEEEED all of Anne's other books. But the characters fell flat for me in this one. It seem to move so, so slowly, and I was bored most of the time. The beginning seemed random and a lot of unnecessary conversations could have been cut. *shrug* Just my opinion. I wanted to like this book. :/
// 1.5
Hayden
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When it comes to pleasure reading, Anne Elisabeth Stengl is a favorite. I'm not normally a huge fantasy reader (although over the past couple of years I find that I'm definitely being converted into one) but her Tales of Goldstone Wood novels were, aside from C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's works, a major hook getting me into the genre. Heartless was the first modern fantasy that I actually enjoyed.

Her books are so deliciously thick, with layers of meaning to ponder and contemplate. Look, I'm
Jemma
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Elisabeth has created a book with amazing characters. I couldn't help liking all the main characters, hating the despicable ones and feeling sorry for others.
The plot was intriguing and unputdownable. A bit creepy at times, but I like that.

All together, it was an excellent book and probably my favourite by the author.
(Just saying, I loved the Sylph :) )
Tricia Mingerink
I just finished this book a few minutes ago. I'm shell-shocked. Awestruck. It's just...I feel like I've stepped back into the mortal realm from faerie and I still can't see straight.

Like all of Anne Elisabeth Stengl's books, this one started off slow. I didn't particularly like Heloise at first. I wasn't sure I'd like it.

Then, I did. Not sure when it happened. Some time between mirror magic and silver and gold forests, it happened. The book builds and builds until I spent this evening reading
Bryn
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2018 reread ~ I felt a little friendlier to this book the second time through. The theme caught me a little harder and drew me in a little deeper. I still struggled with my complaints from my original review, but eh, let's just settled the strait and go for four stars.

Three stars or four? I'm still in a strait betwixt which to choose. I have actually never read the story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, so was able to dive into Anne Elisabeth Stengl's latest release with just the joyous expect
Serethiel ☽ ✨

This book was absolutely amazing. And, *sighs*, Anne Elisabeth has such a gift for worldbuilding. :)
Ashley Stangl
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
This book is billed as a loose retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." It's also tied into another fantasy series, "The Tales of Goldstone Wood." I've read lots of retellings of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses", and none of the Goldstone Wood books, so I was simultaneously on familiar and foreign ground--rather like the book's heroine, now that I think about it.

For a "loose" retelling, it has far more pieces of the original fairy tale than I expected. All the necessary elements, like the g
Savannah Jezowski
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so very close to a five star review: I loved so much about it. There was just the right amount of humor and spook to make the story deliciously engaging without being too much of either. I loved, loved, LOVED the sylph and Benedict. They were fantastically done. Some of the best characters I have encountered in a long while. Heloise took a little longer to warm up to, which is very common for strong, flawed heroines, but in the end I loved her strength and spirit and relationship wi ...more
serena482*
Review to come! (maybe)
Update: Reread May 5-6, 2019. Still an excellent book. I had less patience with the beginning than I did before; Heloise kind of rubbed me the wrong way there. But I enjoyed the ending more this time around. Glad I reread it; certainly will again.

---------

When I heard that Anne Elisabeth Stengl was releasing a loose retelling of one of my favorite fairytales of all time, Twelve Dancing Princesses, I was naturally ecstatic. It seemed there was no way A Branch of Silver, a
Hannah
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Wowzers. I am pretty sure I burned calories reading this book. It was so intense.

Heloise, a spunky peasant girl lives a regular life full of routine and predictable events. But when she wakes up on the morning of her 14th birthday, everything changes. She suddenly finds herself whisked away on a frightening adventure where she discovers a doorway into a different world. A world which somehow holds power over her and her loved ones. When her sister, Evette, disappears during an enchan
Clara Thompson
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Elisabeth Stengl is a master of world building, which many of her fans (myself included) have witnessed time and time again throughout her Goldstone Wood series. This is a new book which doesn't veer too far away from the Path of the Wood, but is just different enough to satisfy any cravings for a fresh look at Stengl's writing.

A Branch of Silver a Branch of Gold is beautiful. It's hilarious. It's great fun, but most of all, it still has that deep message each book written by St
Kristen Kooistra
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very well-written and vibrantly "alive". I could really feel like I was in the story and found the motivations and situation of Heloise to be something I could relate too. I felt bad for poor Benedict since she never really seemed to properly appreciate him or be especially kind.

But I had a hard time putting this down because the plot was so engaging. There's a thread of danger throughout that comes through nicely and I definitely felt like Heloise was on the edge of not making it.
em_panada
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I admit I was wary when getting this...

description

I mean, some fairytale retellings are really well done, and others are... well. They're kind of average and predictable. However, as you can tell from the premise Goodreads so gives us, A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold really is loosely based on the fairytale.

I've only read one book by Stengl before, it was OK, and passed the time. This book is absolut
Jane
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A two-word summary: Fairly Cool. There was the 'fairly' parts that weren't as good as the rest, but overall I LOVED it. I will never look at mirrors the same way again.

The characters were pretty good. At times some didn't feel quite realistic but most of the story they were okay. Benedict was a favourite, though I was getting concerned that he wouldn't survive to the end. His whole attitude to everything was so cool, and I just loved him. Heloise was a grouchy kind of character but nicely not-perfect and, even if I go/>The
Beth Hudson
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be beautiful, haunting, and layered with emotion and evocative imagery. It is quite seriously, in my opinion, one of the two best books I have read this year. In other words – I love it. Somehow it drew my eye out of a great number of books that I have entered a giveaway for, and though I did not win the giveaway, I felt moved to look up the book and read it. I am so glad that I did.

The story is simple on the surface, but like most of the books I love, there are
Stephanie Ricker
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with Stengl's characterization. While there were many aspects of this book that I savored (it's certainly the best retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses that I've ever read), the characters were my favorite part. Heloise is brilliant, and the interactions between all of the characters are incredibly lifelike. The contradictory nature of the love-hate bond between the sisters was spot-on, and even the character who initially seemed relatively bland (Evette) turned out to be mult ...more
J.A. Penrose
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this book, it(alike to most books) was rather predictable, aside from the end. The bond between the sisters and the double meaning of the quest made the side path possibly more interesting then the villains, who were helping her succeed.

I liked the magic in normality concept (The hilarious Sylph, "Yes... No... Maybe?") Although I was confused by the character changes in the start.
This book reminded me vaguely of Alice in the Looking Glass, but was good nonetheless.
Over all, it
Kelli
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt like I had to plod through most of the over-wrought and many times confusing and convoluted plot just to see what happened at the end. This book is quite lengthy and I feel it could have been a much more enjoyable read had it been edited down quite a bit. The main character was tough and real and she was probably the only reason I stayed slightly interested. I might consider looking into the sequal but if it drags on like this one did I will probably abandon it before I finish.
Lauren Beauchamp
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These books just keep getting better! When, oh when will the sequel come out? (No worries, it's not a cliffhanger type ending, but I want more Heloise!)

I loved the main character right from the start. She's strong and opinionated and knows her own mind. And the relationship between the sisters was beautiful and heartbreaking.

And Benedict. I love Benedict!

As this is a spin-off series, I think it could be a great starter book for those who haven't read the main
Maggie
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Alyssa
Ahhhhhh!!! I need this! I hope it will be available in paper back too.
Elizabeth
Shelves: kindle
Such an enjoyable new tale set in the familiar but always different Wood in Between. These new characters were spectacular and I can't wait to explore the rest of the series!
Bess
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
First of all, I'm very sad that the other books in the series are not yet released. While this isn't a cliff-hanger per se, it left me wanting to know what happens next.
This was certainly a wild ride. I loved every minute of the book. The witty banter, the graphic descriptions, the sassiness of Heloise and the silliness of Benedict.
I knew Dr. Dupont was bad news!
The twists and turns throughout will keep you guessing about who's on whose side.
Seriously an amazing book! Don
Kenley Davidson
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written fairy tale retelling, and one that I will not easily forget. I am always looking for a fairy tale that can surprise me (in good ways) and this one did so, not perhaps in its plot or resolution, but in its depth and details.

I won't rehash the plot here, but I will caution the reader who prefers their fairy tales light and fluffy -- there is a great deal of darkness in this story. This will not surprise anyone who has read the original, as the Twelve Dancing Princess
« previous 1 3 next »
Imps of Goldstone...: A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold 36 34 Mar 15, 2017 06:36PM
Imps of Goldstone...: *A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold* Music 3 13 Oct 10, 2016 01:45PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Mar 19, 2016 08:29AM

• The Firethorn Crown (Firethorn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper
  • The Wulver's Rose
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • Hebbros (Companions of Arcrea, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Goldmayne: A Fairy Tale
  • Shards of a Broken Sword: The Complete Trilogy
  • A Wish Made of Glass
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar, #2)
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #3)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • Pendragon's Heir
  • Songstone
Anne Elisabeth Stengl makes her home in Raleigh, North Carolina, where she lives with her husband, Rohan, a passel of cats, and one long-suffering dog. When she's not writing, she enjoys Shakespeare, opera, and tea, and studies piano, painting, and pastry baking. She studied illustration at Grace College and English literature at Campbell University. She is the author of the TALES OF GOLDSTONE WOO ...more
“Benedict studied her. 'A mirror? What in Lume's name would you need a mirror for?'
'To admire my pretty face, obviously,' she snapped.”
5 likes
“An awkward silence followed these bold declarations, because while both parties spoke with passion, one was a dying youth and one a ragged peasant girl with straw in her hair and no shoes. Neither was the stuff of heroes and legends, and both knew it.” 2 likes