Start by marking “An Exaltation of Larks (Venery, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Exaltation of Larks (Venery, #1)

An Exaltation of Larks (Venery #1)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Grand prize winner of the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards.
"I only wish other writers had Laqueur's kind of talent. This precise and vivid word choice..."
—Judge #65

September 11, 1973: Eleven-year-old Alejandro Penda watches from his apartment window as Santiago, Chile falls to a military coup, destroying his family and his childhood. Arriving alone in America, he’s taken in by
Published November 22nd 2016 by Cathedral Rock Press

To ask other readers questions about An Exaltation of Larks, please sign up.
Suanne Laqueur Hi, I'm sorry you had trouble, that's weird. I'm looking on iTunes right now and it's listed as available: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/an-e...

…more

Does it still show unavailable for you?(less)

Candace
Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

This book was absolutely spectacular! I am in awe of this author's abilities. 'An Exaltation of Larks' was the first book I've read by Ms. Suanne Laqueur, but it certainly will not be the last. I'll be adding all of her books to my TBR list ASAP!

From the opening lines, I knew that this was going to be a story that would stick with me...and it has. The writing is flawless and incredibly poetic. I could not pull myself away from this story, ev
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! An Exaltation of Larks (stand-alone). Friendship, lust, betrayal, tragedies, forgiveness & love following three friends!

“Is not the Larks that kill you. It’s the exaltation.”

Books in Venery series are stand-alones, but most enjoyed if read in order:
Book 1: An Exaltation of Larks
Book 2: A Charm of Finches

An Exaltation of Larks (stand-alone, book 1) is an epic saga following three friends Alex (Alejandro Gabriel Eduardo Penda Vilara aka Alejandro Lark-Penda), Val (Valarie Lark) an
Bibi
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
**ARC generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**
 photo c4326e3c-612e-4620-acb2-cd05750875cf_zpsz18qhsp5.png
************************************************
Omigosh..omigosh...Who do I thank?....First, I would like to thank my Lord and Saviour, without whom I'd not be alive to read An Exaltation of Larks. Thank you Lord!
************************************************
 photo a122b6f5-c5f1-4eb9-8ad5-3e0ae2991559_zpsri3kpcs0.jpg
********************************************
And thank you to my kindergaten Teacher, who taught me to read, even when all I wanted was to sleep! Thanks Mrs. O!
Judith
5+ Stars.

Straight on my favourite shelf.One of my top two reads this year!

This book is special,I mean really special.
I loved everything about it and just didn't want it to end.
This Author's writing is stunning.Her words,her story telling,her characters-to say I was blown away is an understatement.

The story follows the lives of three characters,Alex,Val, and Jav.Introduced when they are young and spanning over three decades it's a truly amazing story of how their lives cross paths.

-it's about fam
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing-reads
#Epic and currently on SALE #99c
Amazon USA https://goo.gl/5Ke2gR
Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/6m6CQ0R (Check Price before purchase)
A Beautiful and Richly Layered Story that Explores Love, Friendship & Sexuality.
“What I want is nothing I am.”

There is no doubt that An Exaltation of Larks will join my favourite ever book list in terms of its epic depth, glorious cast of characters, vivid writing, story development and the way it all made me feel. I savoured every word, my mind overwhelmingly cont
Hulya Kara Yuksel

WOW what a story!!! There should be a warning for this book, maybe like "This is going to hurt like bitch" but still that note couldn't stop me from reading this amazing book... Because this book belongs to my latest crush. &
Jennifer Kyle
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

”Figures you’d turn out to be my best friend.”

description

Suanne Laqueur sure is a talented writer and this book displays a poetic and beautiful writing style. Even her sex scenes were unlike any I have read before. I’m definitely interested in exploring more of her work in the future. As for this story, I had my moments of loving it, then I found myself really bored, then within a bunch of pages I was back on board. I think she writes stellar in depth characters and though I wasn’t in love with t
Jan
Re-reading one of my all times fav in a partnership with my friend Moony.
Snail 🐌 pace since we’re both on holiday 👓☀🍹🏖
(view spoiler)
Suanne Laqueur
Mar 28, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
AN EXALTATION OF LARKS
BOOK 1 OF THE VENERY SERIES
Kindle |iTunes |Nook |Kobo |Smashwords |GooglePlay

Jav now glanced at Alex, whose head and shoulders lined up with Jav’s six-two frame. Behind the lenses, his eyes were green as well. His hands also stayed to himself. He didn’t touch Valentine, not casually, not territorially. Still, a chemistry crackled between them. A complicity. Or a weighted history. A relationship.

For a moment, the three of them stood in a tableau. The golden flame of Valen
~IreneOust~

This 'review' is 100% spoiler-free. Technically, it's not really a review but a bunch of ways of me telling you to 'read this book ... NOW!'

photo suanne collage final_zpsa4wpfkku.jpg

I was engrossed in this glorious novel for the last three days. The minute this pre-order hit my Kindle early Tuesday morning, I dove right in and didn't come up for air till I was done. Done with a story I NEVER wanted to end.

I don't know about you but very few books leave me feeling like this:

photo tumblr_n9bsjnrBK91tnxu2ro1_500_zpsyj8jw8ox.gif

but this was exactly how I felt, from the moment I started till
Maddie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Maddie by: Nazanin
Shelves: lgbt, favorite
Not for under 16 (I think)!!! –>

No, dear, you’re not old enough yet…
*************

“Second chances are given or made,”
—Rafael Gil de Soto
*************

“Love’s dangerous,” Leni said. “It destroys more than it creates. I’ve seen more people use love to be manipulative than be supportive.”
*************

“Weird how within the dread is hope.”
*************

The soulful, forever love that comes when you find your tribe.
*************

What you feel now is all that matters. What you believe and feel right no
KAS
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5+ Masterful and Intoxicating Stars!

How does one describe the indescribable? A Suanne Laqueur novel is one you need to be immersed in to enjoy the exhilarating journey she takes you on and experience all the intense emotions she will invoke. I could go on and on with descriptive, adjectives and adverbs, but they are just words ...... and words cannot possibly do justice.

But of course, a review needs words, so here goes ......

Let me first tell you, it has been hours since I finished reading, and
Cheri
EDIT: NOW AVAILABLE!

3.5 Stars

In the 1973 Chilean coup d'état, Santiago, Chile falls on September 11th, and eleven year-old Alejandro Penda’s life begins to take a drastic turn. His father has been gone, and when they come banging on the door for his mother, she hides Alejandro in the closet. He stays hidden except to sneak quietly out for food or the bathroom. Occasionally peering out a window to see the destruction and wreckage which is everywhere.

He arrives in America, and eventually finds a h
Jeannine Allison
description

Rating this is easy, reviewing it is hard as fuck. The writing was absolutely spellbinding, even completely innocuous descriptions (like describing soup) had me enraptured. Here are a couple random sentences that had me stopping and staring at a wall for five minutes, trying to figure out how such simple sentences made such a big impact on me...
"I went up to the roof a boy, and got thrown down the stairs a man."
"She reminded Javi of Naroba, who apologized to the oxygen in the room for breathi
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 MustRead Stars
 photo IMG_1980_zpsfisz6ghs.jpg

Magnificently Brilliant......
A story that spans 35 years.......
A story that weaves families together by coincidence or by fate.......
A story of love, loss, turmoil, sexuality, friendship, marriage and happiness........
A story that creeps into your soul and becomes ingrained....
A story of epic proportions.........

This story is one of those epic reads that totally grabs you and takes you on a journey of feels. It evokes all emotions. You will ache, you will cry, you will sigh, you
Nazanin
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Golden Stars

Well, this story was one of my unusual reads. Actually I don’t really enjoy stories like this but I LOVED this one. My brain screamed please don’t read it but like other times who’s listening to it! Haha! So let me tell you why it was unusual; I don’t read book more that 400-450 and I don’t really enjoy them but short chapters were in my favor here. I really really really don’t like triangle love stories, scratch that I hate them because most of the time I feel sorry for the other
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
All The Stars in the Universe!

5 "Fucky" Stars

Review @ Vanilla & Spice Books

"I'd like to be faithful to you for another year. (It's hard this year.)"

This book. OH THIS BOOK! I have never read anything like it.
I have made a new shelf and tag this year and called it "All The Stars In The Universe". It is reserved for books which even stand out among the 5 stars. Only very special stories go on that shelf. I knew when I was halfway through the book that it would get this tag.

The plot is way
Robin Hill
I have exactly 3 favorite authors. I LOVE them. I LOVE their writing, and I’ll inhale anything they put out there. Anything. If they’ve got old post it notes or shopping lists lying around that they want to stick on eBay…sold. I’ve read all of their books, and none of them have dipped below 4 stars.

That being said, there is high probability I’m going to love anything new I read from them.

Suanne Laqueur is one of the aforementioned writers, and I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to read
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
I don't know if this is a good post or not but it was difficult and I need to do some self-reflection.

Here it is... https://prettymessreading.wordpress.c...

I don't know if you would call this a review so I'm not really going to post it here but you can find it on my blog. The link is at the top.

Paige
4.5 "Wanting" Stars

An emotional journey through time. A story of what it means to survive and embrace sexuality. A tale of love, family, and the consequences of wanting. I was fully wrapped up in this story. It's words like a cocoon around my battered heart. An Exaltation of Larks was a unique and at times harrowing story about three people and those in their lives and how the ties that bind are sometimes more than meets the eye. This was my first Suanne Laqueur experience and I can say with 100
Mo
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Could have, should have, would have been a solid FIVE stars but that "twist" at the end did absolutely nothing for me. It actually took away from the book for me ... I mean, come fucking on ... too much of a coincidence ... I know the book was based on coincidences, for the most part but that was a bit OTT for me. I know, I know, it is fiction ... poetic license and all that!!! You guys know me at this stage, it is easy to annoy me. LOL.

Apart from that I loved the book. I felt ever word
warhawke
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Saga lovers
Genre: Fiction/Saga
Type: Standalone Book 1 of Venery series
POV: Third Person
Rating:

Alejandro (Alex) Penda was only 11 years old when a coup ripped apart his country and his family. Safe in a new country, he befriended and became close to the Larks especially their daughter Valerie and formed a lifelong connection with them.

Javier Gil de Soto learned at a young age life is all about every man for himself. He barricaded his heart from any feelings that would make him weak. Ironically, he's in the
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* by: Jan
Yo, this was EPIC!

I finished this Friday night and I can’t get my mind off this story and its characters. I have been listening to this song NON STOP because it fits perfectly

When I first read the blurb I was like ‘thanks but no, thanks’ because... vaginas! Boy, I was wrong! Jan made me read it and I am so bloody happy she did because this is going straight into my favourites. The feelings are all over the place with this one <3

Have you ever thought abo
Jen
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
6 KNOCK THREE TIMES Stars!

First of all I have to give a huge THANK YOU to IreneOust for this book. It became her favorite read of the year and to help spread the word and love for this book she gave away ten e-book copies. I came across her post late one night and just clicked on the link provided. I had no expectations of winning a copy. I never win. Well, guess what?! I WON! And boy o boy did I ever win. I now know why she and so many others have fallen in love with this book. It's a MUST READ
Dee Montoya
5+++++ STARS*****

An Exaltation Of Larks should come with a warning on the cover that says; This Book might change your life.

Every feeling there is to feel I experienced through the pages of this novel. Be ready to read an astonishing story that is raw, honest, and magnificently beautiful.

photo 6BDB6C02-3115-40DA-8DDA-A1565C49F054_zpsya8tlgr9.jpg

In 1973 a young Alex Penda comes to the United States as a political refugee, after his family is separated by the Chilean Government. He arrives in New York to live with his uncle. On the first few days afte
Amy (Foxy)
Wow, what a book! This is my first book by Ms. Laqueur and it won't be my last.

GROWING PAINS
_________________
While reading this book I felt like I experienced growing up with these characters. The book spans several decades starting when the main characters are children and continuing until they are midlife adults. Their lives and the journey they are on is messy and at times very complicated which leads to the realism of the book.

REEVALUATE
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
ETA: after much debate I've decided to withdraw my star rating, mostly because I don't want to Jedi mind trick myself in a few years into thinking I "really liked" it.

This is difficult to rate and review for a many reasons. Mostly because I am a squishy marshmallow that doesn’t enjoy reading books chock-a-block with emotional pain and suffering. So be forewarned, much rambling lies ahead.

Suanne Laqueur has crafted an exquisite Pain Cake with anguish filling and agony frosting in An Exaltation of
Hollis
October 30, 2017 -- 0.99$ Amazon sale alert!

------

"Where have you been? Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't know."

This is exactly how I feel about AN EXALTATION OF LARKS. The moment I was told to read this, I wanted to. The fact that it took this long.. words can't express my dismay for existing for so long without this in my life. And yet, like so much of this story, it's no wonder. It was meant to be now.

For a moment, the three of them stood in a tableau. The golden flame of Valentine posed bet
TeriLyn
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**An Exaltation of Larks generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

5+ ”I love stories.” Stars

Within the pages of this book, An Exaltation of Larks, a strikingly beautiful and emotional story fuses then embeds itself into the hearts of its readers. An inviting, rich tale you won't want to end. This story, unlike any other, weaves the complexities of three separate lives into the fabric of each other’s souls with threads of rich passion, tragedies, deep
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
5++ "It's a Life" Stars!

photo 3C37F0D8-BBB5-4E20-B6A5-726AC5F5004A_zpsvyqhdnu2.gif

Reading hundreds of books a year, I get so excited when I come across something new, someone with writing so refreshingly different, it takes me back to when I first started my bookworm days. When plotlines seemed fresh and exciting. An Exaltation of Larks is all that- refreshingly different. Different in plot but even more so in quality of writing. Suanne Laqueur has a definite artistic, lyrical quality to her writing. It's beautiful and though this book is very length
A former professional dancer and teacher, Suanne Laqueur went from choreographing music to choreographing words. Her work has been described as "Therapy Fiction," "Emotionally Intelligent Romance" and "Contemporary Train Wreck."

Laqueur's novel An Exaltation of Larks was the Grand Prize winner in the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards. Her debut novel The Man I Love won a gold medal in the 2015 Readers' F

Venery (4 books)
  • A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)
  • Tales from Cushman Row (Venery)
  • A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
“Many people like being alone, but nobody likes to be lonely.” 24 likes
“I want to wake up every morning and listen to your heart. I want to be the last man you slept with. When you say it’s been a long time since you made love, I want that time to be a matter of hours. Because I loved you last night. And I’m going to love you again tonight.” 11 likes