Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

(Kingston Ale House #1)

"I loved this fun road-trip romance with two friends you immediately know should be a whole lot more!" — Cindi Madsen, author of Anatomy of a Player

Jamie

I’ve been in love with my best friend for as long as I can remember. I tried to tell her in high school, which royally backfired. Ten years hasn’t changed things, but now I’m finally ready to lay it all out on the table. T
Published April 18th 2016 by Entangled: Select Contemporary

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

"I lied to myself - and to you - for a long time. But every day for eleven years, even when I wouldn't admit it, I've loved you."

GAH!! I LOVED THIS BOOK!! If you're a fan of friends to lovers....READ THIS! DO IT!!

Friends to lovers is my favoritest trope in all the land and this book ticked off so many of my boxes.

I swear sometimes these reviews are the hardest to write....the ones where it can easily turn into incoherent gushing. So, you know what, I'm not even gonna try to
sraxe
My journey through this book can basically be summed up into one gif:

For most of this book (which rates more like a two and a half, but GR's rating system doesn't make that possible), I was on the fence. I wanted to like it, and sometimes I did, but then the characters would do something that would annoy me. To add to that, when they said or did certain things, I could kinda sorta maybe understand where they were coming from, but it still left me very annoyed. And by the end, I was pretty much o
ambsreads
No full review for this is to come because I can never exactly put contemporaries into words.

The One That Got Away was a super cute novel, but didn't have anything else for it but that. The story line was similar to most contemporaries, and in some parts I found myself confused by the writing. I'm unsure if it was just me and my tiredness or if the circumstances kept changing mid page?

However, Jamie and Brynn were a couple I almost instantly shipped so I needed them together and that is why I
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Friends to lovers...I'm a big believer in couples having a solid friendship before it turns into more and in The One That Got Away this couple has had 10 years of friendship and a few blips to finally begin to figure out that what they feel is more than friendship. I enjoyed this crazy, funny, and sexy story even when there were times I wanted to shake some sense into one or both of the main characters.

Best friends since junior high Jamie Kin
A.J. Pine
Feb 18, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Guys...this book! I can't even tell you how much fun I had writing it. I hope you have as much fun (if not more) joining Jamie and Brynn on their cross-country road trip while they try to navigate not only Route 66...and ten years of buried heartache. Eeep! Galleys go out ANY DAY NOW.

P.S. This is book 1 of 4. To keep up with all things Kingston Ale House, like sneak peeks at covers and blurbs, come join my series group HERE.
seton
Genre: CR

DNF @ 23%

I love the Friends to Lovers trope but this was dull. The MCs were unengaging and there was too much Paralysis by Analysis for me.

Tags: Road trip, Best friends since junior high, Chicago
Amy
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5, You hung the moon, Stars!!

“I wasn’t in love with her. It took being with her to realize that I was already with the person I loved most. She just didn’t know it yet.”

“I lied to myself–and to you–for a long time. But every day for eleven years, even when I wouldn’t admit it, I’ve loved you. It never lasted with anyone else because you’ve always had my heart.”

I just loved this book to pieces!! This is the perfect spring/summer friends to lovers romance. One of the first things that caught my
Eva • All Books Considered
Mar 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 21%

This one was all over the place for me -- the writing was constantly drifting between POV and past and present enough to give me whiplash. I also couldn't even figure out the actual action happening in the story because of poor writing and editing. I thought this would be a second chance romance but it was really a friends to lovers, neither of whom was particularly likeable.

Skip this and read Honey Red by Liz Crowe or When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill instead.
Annie
A bit repetitive at times and Jamie being so stubborn got annoying sometimes but the rest of the book was total catnip for me lol
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 13, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A.J. Pine Fans, Romance
Let's see if I have this right...
Friends since middle school...
A clumsy kiss and neither talk of it ever since...

He has always loved her during these past 10 years...
She loves him being her pal and shares she needs to find her special someone now...

Well, of course, this calls for Road Trip...
How else will he be able to show her the way...
Show her He is her HEA...

Sign me up!

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Dísir
I wish I could have liked the story as much as I liked the blurb, but it all went sideways once the male protagonist (not hero, in my opinion) started finding more and more insipid excuses for his cowardice and insecurity about getting the girl he's always wanted.

It only took ten years...and even then, it wasn't without a circus-ring of stupid behaviour that somehow came to pushing his forever-girl to meet *another* man so she could decide whether her own feelings for the 'hero' were real or fa
Megan Erickson
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, adult-rom
One of my absolute favorite friends-to-lovers romance, with AJ's trademark smooth and witty writing. I adore everything she writes, and she gets better with every book. Brynn and Jamie's story will have you swooning!
Shannon Moore
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars!

This. This right here is how you write a Friends to Lovers romance! Thank Heavens! I’ve been having such a hard time with this trope lately, and by lately I honestly mean all year. I may have groaned a little when I saw this come up on my list as next to read, but then I thought, “Cool your jets Shannon and have a little hope. You were intrigued enough by the synopsis to read it, so here you are, put on some big girl panties and get to it.” And so I did. There’s only been two other F2
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo b723f42affe9e91da5c9c3d2be0d99_zpsxtviyf71.gif

photo 3b2b293cc939a14425d546b7693e47_zpsd2by7378.gif“The past ten years will always be between us if we don’t see this through. I don’t want to be the guy who stood in the way if there is someone who could make you happier than I could.That was the truth. She meant enough to him that her happiness came first.”

A.J. Pine delivers a smart, witty, and charming read that is wildly entertaining!!!! For all you friends to lover romance trope fanatics, this is one book that you wouldn’t want to
1-Click Addict Support Group
I had sort of a love / hate relationship with this book.

That sounds worse than it probably is. It's just—Jamie and Brynn infuriated me. I wanted to shake them and knock some sense into them because they kept making these terrible decisions and getting in their own way. It was frustrating and sometimes—at different points throughout the book—I didn't like either one of them very much.

And then, just like that, they'd turn around and be sweet and funny and a little bit silly. They'd have a revelat
Lia Riley
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to sneak peek this book-so stinking fun and cute. Perfect for Friends fans. Kingston Brewery is like Central Perk...except there's beer. Bonus!

Review to come.
Maria Rose
I've read and enjoyed previous stories by A.J. Pine and I was excited to read this first in the Kingston Ale House series. Craft breweries are becoming more popular as social venues, so it stands to reason that they would start to show up as subject matter in popular fiction. It’s a setting that lends itself well to romance subplots with its more intimate settings and the inclusion of the sensuality to be found in food and drink. This particular story features a friends-to-lovers romance with th ...more
Melena Torretta
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs, 2019
I have had this book on my TBR list for a long time and I wish I hadn't waited so long to read it!

Jamie and Brynn have been best friends since high school. There was one moment where they had a chance to become more, but it didn't work out. Now 10 years later they may have a second chance if they can learn to trust their feelings.

This was a really fun book with the friends to more trope I enjoy, a road trip, and stumbling blocks for the couple that felt realistic and not overly angsty.

Both Jamie
Rê
description

2.5 “Road Trip & Best Friends” Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Entangled!

First things first, BEAUTIFUL COVER!!! *swoons*

Okay. Now that that is over...

Take a look at my recent reviews and you’ll know how big of a fan of the “BFF to lovers” trope I am. That was reason #1 I requested “The One that Got Away” when I saw it on NetGalley. I’m sorry to say not even one my favorite book tropes was enough to make me fall for this book.

Jamie and Brynn have been best friends for a really long time, but
Yasaman
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, arcs
I recieved a digital copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I stumbled upon this book on NetGalley I knew it would be a sweet story and I had to read it. Needless to say I requested it. And got approved short after. After being on a Fantasy/Sci-Fi reading binge for months I needed something to switch things up, so I picked The One That Got Away up and it was the perfect decicion!

When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the
Aimie
The One That Got Away is the first book in The Kingston Ale House series.

The One That Got Away mainly revolves around Jamie Kingston and Brynn Chandler's relationship. They have been best friends since middle school. When Brynn gives Jamie a kiss, there friendship was tested. Planning to never cross the line again, they continue on with their friendship.

Jamie has loved Brynn for as long as he can remember and now he is ready to tell her. However, she now has her sights on someone else. Kno
Hilda
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feelings that have been brewing between best friends for a decade is definitely the recipe for off the charts chemistry. Jamie and Brynn can attest to that. Does anyone else feel like timing is everything and also the one thing that is the hardest to get right? Jamie and Brynn have the worst timing, ever. After a failed high school hook-up, the two best friends swept everything under the rug and moved on with their lives. Or so they each thought. Fast forward ten years later, upon a high school ...more
Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls
This is honestly one of those books that had me ready to pull my hair out because of the constant miscommunications and/or lack of any communication at all between Brynn and Jamie. They have been lifelong best friends who once kissed but never took it further. Even though they are both harboring more than friendly feelings for each other. Unfortunately they are both too focused on the what-if's of their past that they never look at what could be their future.

I think my favorite part of the stor
Jessica
Some of my favorite things: beer, travel, and love. How could I not love this book?!?! I loved this story and I thought the beer tasting scenes were so, so perfect. I'm excited to read the rest of this series! <3
Alexa
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
It took a while for me to warm up to this book for some reason, but I was grinning by the time I hit the end. Even though I wanted to knock these two idiots together a time or two (or three or more), I thought it was cute.
Riki
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book! You get not one, but two of the sweetest grand gestures in the end. Beers, baseball, and a deeply satisfying friends-to-lovers romance make this is top read for me in 2016.
Cheryl
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this second chance love story, but there were times I wanted to smack both leads upside the head! Jamie and Brynn were funny and heartbreaking at the same time. While everyone else could see their more-than-friends connection, they of course were totally oblivious.
I loved the banter between these lifelong friends, and Brynn’s sister Holly made me laugh out loud! This is my first AJ Pine book but it will definitely not be my last! Can’t wait to read the next Kingston Alehouse book!
Maria Hossain
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't give books one star, very rare of me, but this book made me. The beginning was promising and all but the middle got boring and the ending tacky and predictable and clichéd. It had lots of promising aspects to shine but unfortunately fell flat.
Christine D
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF I tried to get into this and I just couldn't. I gave up after 25 pages.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • Wayward One (Waywroth Academy, #1)
  • The Little Wedding Island
  • Royal Marriage Market
  • Straight Up Irish (Murphy Brothers, #1)
  • Chasing Jane
  • Ten Days with the Highlander
  • The Turning Point
  • Happy New You
  • Let It Shine
  • Without Borders (Wanderlove, #1)
  • Overexposed (In Focus, #4)
  • Bridal Boot Camp (Little Bridge Island, #0.5)
  • A Scot Like You (MacLarens of Balmorie, #2)
  • Runabout (Wild Oats, #2)
  • The Finn Factor
  • The Twilight Swimmer
A teen librarian by day and a romance writer by night, A.J. Pine can’t seem to escape the world of fiction, and she wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s the author of the If Only series (Entangled Embrace), the Only You series (Berkley/Intermix), the Kingston Ale House series (Entangled Select), and the Crossroads Ranch series (Forever Romance). When she finds that 25th hour in the day, she might ...more

Kingston Ale House (4 books)
  • Six Month Rule (Kingston Ale House #2)
  • Three Simple Words (Kingston Ale House, #3)
  • Worth the Wait (Kingston Ale House, #4)