Start by marking “From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5)” as Want to Read:

From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review

(The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5)

After risking the neck of her loved ones and herself during her perilous sea voyage aboard The Basilisk, and the discoveries made at Keonga, Isabella, Lady Trent, returns to Scirland with the aim of publishing her research. And yet, given the level of secret knowledge she now posses, she is reduced to waiting to reveal her new academic discovery until royal decrees can be

Published May 18th 2016 by Tor Books (first published April 5th 2016)

Start your review of From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5)
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
That was delightful!! And so short haha. I honestly thought it was going to be some of her "published" research, as referenced in the story. Instead it was a clever collection of correspondence in which Mrs. Camherst remains charmingly unapologetic in her quest for dragon knowledge. I'm not sure it was worth .99 for 10 pages (I didn't even glance at the page count before buying), but I'm still glad I read it.

Update: apparently it's free to read online...

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted at www.FantasyLiterature.com:

This very short story with the lengthy title is part of the MEMOIRS OF LADY TRENT fantasy series, which is set in a Victorian era-like world, with dragons. Isabella Camherst, Lady Trent, travels the world to study dragons in their native habitats, despite resistance from some men who look down on headstrong women who refuse to stay in the kitchen.

In this humorous story, related through a series of letters to the editor of the Falchester
YouKneeK
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very short story set in the same world as the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. It’s actually a set of fictional letters started when our main character, Isabella, challenges the author of a scientifically questionable notice in the Falchester Weekly Review. She and the author both send their letters to each other via the Falchester Weekly Review, so they’re published publicly.

I guess this is sort of what a Victorian-era flame war might look like. :) The letters were written shortly after
Hannah
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So A Natural History of Dragons has been on my radar for a while now, but this short story is what actually moved it up my to-read list by leaps and bounds.

Formatted as a series of letters to the editor, the literary sniping is a fun way to fill in the gaps of a story for yourself.

Definitely read it if you're looking for more Edwardian/Victorian fantasy like Sorcerer to the Crown, Shades of Milk and Honey, or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Just possibly sillier. And with extra dragons.

You
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
Oooh, I knew exactly which points of the pompous Mr. Talbot's letters would piss off Isabella (they pissed me off as well), and to no one's surprise, she ripped him a new asshole both in letter form and in the incredibly satisfying conclusion.
Allie Riley
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet.

Amazon won't let me read anything else till I submit this review. I have posted a proper review on good reads, but suffice it to say this is excellent.
Althea Ann
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This feels like a bit of an "extra" for fans of the "Memoirs of Lady Trent" series - or maybe, a bit of a teaser to drag new fans in!

Clever and fun, these 'letters to the Editor' reveal the controversy that arises when the exhibition of a specimen of the legendary "cockatrice" is challenged by the well-known naturalist and dragon expert, Lady Trent.
Jessica
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though this was only a short story in The Memoirs of Lady Trent series it was just as brilliant as the novels! The story is told in letters between Lady Trent and Mr Talbot that are published in a public magazine, the back and forth between the two is brilliant, humorous and is essentially the Victorian equivalent of argumentative facebook comments.
Kaitlynn
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Very short story, shouldn't count towards my book total.

Academics snarking and throwing shade at each other is delightful. The 'punchline' had me literally laughing out loud in bed. Lady Trent is an excellent role model for women and academics alike.
Ash
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scathing scientific letters about dragons, what more could you want?
Colleen Earle
Read this to finish off my series review. It's very short and provided by a link on the page for the book. It's a small collection of letters, all of which are very amusing.

I do think that it might have been better to have actually read it after the 3rd book, but there you go.
Raj
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a nice little short story set in Brennan's Lady Trent universe. It's set sometime after The Voyage of the Basilisk and takes the form of a number of letters for publication by Isabella Camherst and others, where she takes shoddy research (and researchers) to task.

This is a fun little story with a delicious payoff that might help entertain you while waiting for the next book. Although it makes mention of events in other books, they're minimal and you can still get a lot out of the story
Sammm [involuntarily somewhat on hiatus]
Super short, but demonstrated Isabella's inquisitorial nature so brilliantly. Benjamin Talbot can suck it. Since her memoirs are published, I wish more in-universe stuff can be considered as well, such as some suggested by fellow reviewers, her researches... Or even sketchbooks, or if Tom and herself ever worked on compiling the likes of an encyclopedia of their joint discoveries.

Free Online Read version (same content)
www.tor.com/2016/04/05/from-the-edito...
Taskuhecate
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Academics throwing shade is some of the best entertainment, honestly. It was a short quick read and I couldn't help but snort and gasp a few times at the shade thrown. Even though I haven't yet finished the first two books, it was still easy enough to grasp the story and what was going on, but I'll probably reread it again after I've finished The Voyage of the Basilisk. Definitely worth a read if you like the series!
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little enticement to read The Memoirs of Lady Trent series or small treat for those already hooked.
Foggygirl
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very short but still very entertaining read. Loved the snark between her and the other writer and the final letter was the best.
Jasmine
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was fun and entertaining until the end, where it became DELIGHTFUL.
Karissa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Series Info/Source: Part of the Lady Trent series, bought for Kindle.

Story (4/5): This is a really short read, takes 5 minutes to read. It’s less of a story than a series of letters published in a newspaper between Lady Trent and one of her scientific colleagues. The final letter is published by the newspaper itself and has a funny twist to it.

Characters (4/5): Lady Trent is the main character in this series, I love her sardonic wit and her willingness to act when a situation demands it.

Setting
s.alnasri
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one is barely 15 pages long and it can be read completely for free on Tor.com as well if you’re not interested in paying $0.99 for something this short. Like the synopsis states, it’s just a series of correspondence between Isabella and one of the “lesser men” where she shows them how sharp she can be and more importantly, how far more knowledgeable she actually is.

I personally enjoyed this one a lot, there’s nothing better than seeing Isabella use her sharp tongue to put someone in their
Travis
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Stumbled across this here on goodreads. I sadly didn't read it in order, but I don't think that particularly matters. It is a fun little story told through a series of letters to a newspaper. It doesn't add anything vital to the overall plot of this series, but it does nicely illustrate Isabella's character in how she handles the discussion. I wouldn't mind more like this, especially something that better addressed the impact of river dragons in Keonga which was hinted at in several of the ...more
Angie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My Review: I have really enjoyed the Lady Trent series and I when I discovered this little extra addition to the series, I just had to read it. It isn't really a novella but just an extra little tidbit that isn't entirely necessary to the series but a fun extra read. It was fun to read the back and forth between Isabella and a supposed scholar with regards to a new find. Her voice comes through so strongly in her intelligent and while not entirely condescending but definitely informed letters ...more
Eric
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Not only an enjoyable short

but- as with “Mad Maudlin”, the novella of hers available from Tor and here (I’ve also read A Natural History of Dragons), people aware enough of the relevant history and ongoing serious daybyday problems in paleontology (or in the latter, psychology - from the patient/consumer’s side as well) will immediately see how these stories are taken closely from real life.
Tsana Dolichva
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An epistolary story told through letters to the editor. More specifically, we see a dispute play out between Isabella, the protagonist of the Memoirs of Lady Trent series, and another naturalist. I found it very amusing, but I’m not sure that it stands well outside of the context of the series, but it slots in quite nicely after the third book, Voyage if the Basilisk (with only the most minor spoilers for that book).
Yashosirur
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such fun!
These are a bunch of angry letters exchanged between Isabella - Lady Trent and the author of a spurious research article!
These letters are directed as 'Letters to the Editor' and is reminiscent of the times when people would send strongly-worded letters to the newspapers. Love the debate and the conclusion.
This is just 10-pages long, free to read, and perfect for those looking to bump up their Goodreads Challenge!
Kam Yung Soh
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A short fun piece, set after Brennan's "Voyage of the Basilisk" where Isabella doubts that a discovery by another person of an unusual dragon specimen is what the person says it is. This is played out the correspondents page of the newspaper and ends with what happens when she finally gets to see it.
Megan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Brief Foray

This was a short story involving Isabella and a gentleman that learned the hard way what happens when you ignore her letters. It's a short but sweet tale that touches briefly in Dragons though it's mostly about putting the gentle!an in his place. I adore Isabella!
Jess
A fun and VERY quick read from The Memoirs of Lady Trent series. This reads like a Victorian-era Twitter spat; I'd love to see Brennan release a longer collection of letters and articles written by or about Isabella throughout her various adventures.
Alyssa Becker
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, this wasn’t hardly enough pages to be considered a short story. But nonetheless I enjoyed reading more into the vendetta Isabella Camherst seems to have against males and their intellectual flaunting.
Willow
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, fun, and very quick read. Editorial letter pages are the Facebook comment threads of the 19th century. A great addition to the series. And available for free online here: https://www.tor.com/2016/04/05/from-t...
Vernice
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
Amusing little exchange between Lady Trent and another "Scholar". Just what I needed to get back into this series, although I might need to reacquaint myself with the happenings of the previous books.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Meat And Salt And Sparks
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • Friends 'Til the End
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Deepwoods (Deepwoods Saga, #1)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 124 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #124)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • Lektören
  • The Christmas Party
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017
  • The Secrets of Ghosts (The Language of Spells #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Bob Ross and Peapod the Squirrel
Marie Brennan is the author of the Doppelganger, Onyx Court, Wilders, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series of fantasy novels. Sign up for her newsletter here!

The Memoirs of Lady Trent (5 books)
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
“Our wisdom grows not by staking out claims and defending them against all comers, but by sharing information freely, so that we may work together for the betterment of all.” 3 likes